Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Caught With My Pants and Fenders Down...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-23, 07:43 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts

I discovered I forgot to pack fresh underwear and socks after biking to the office this morning. No problem...I keep a spare set in my wardrobe/locker, but this was the first time this happened at the new job. I used to keep socks, underwear and a shirt in my previous larger commute bag. But after hitting 61, I needed to lighten up for those times I rid the rackless bikes. The old bag was also weighted with tools and supplies for almost any emergency, contingency and weather, plus toiletries. At my new job I have company shirts in my wardrobe that I could change into if need be.

This morning the weather forecasts all seemed to agree that there was a slight chance of trace amounts of rain around 2pm, and that it should be clear and dry for my 5pm ride home, so I decided to take my fenderless, rackless '84 Nishiki International 12-speed, which I have fallen in love with again.

But the rain came hard at 4pm with no let-up at 5. In the past I kept a couple of firm, water-resistant Fed-Ex envelopes in my larger, former commute bag. (They're still there along wit hthe extra socks underwear and shirt.) I would fold and bungie one of the envelopes under my seat to combat the rooster tail spray off the back wheel. And I would shove another behind the downtube water bottle holder to help stop the front wheel spray. I don't know where any supplies like that are in the new office, but I did find a carboard box I could cut up. (See photo below)

The last time I rode the 12-speed in the rain I was wearing a rain jacket, which would spill water on the fronts of my thighs and leave my legs and shoes exposed to the rain. But this time I had my superior rain cape/pancho which has worked to well for me. But I hadn't used it on the 12-speed with its downtube shifters, which I now couldn't see, and I was concerned I would shove my hand in the front spokes trying to find the levers. Also I had to wear the backpack under the cape, which lifted it up higher which I thought would expose my derrier to the falling rain.

I set off with the cape and cardboard fenders and...son-of-a-gun...it worked! My feet and legs were dry with just a little dampness on my lower back. The first thing I noticed was the difficulty shifting on the downtube. So I shifted less. Then I noticed the rim brakes (cantilevers) took a few revolutions to squeegee themselves after which they worked, but not so well. Of my three fendered bikes, one has disk brakes, the other two have V-brakes, which although are also rim brakes, the V-brakes works flawlessly in the rain due to their superior grip. (and snow on the MTB)

I was about as dry as I was on my fendered bikes until 4.5 miles into my 6 mile ride home. That's when the rear cardboard fender collapsed. I didn't see it had collapsed till I got home, but my butt suddenly became wet about a mile and a half out. Thanks to the cape and front cardboard my socks and shoes were fairly dry.

I will stock up my office space with the Fed-Ex mailers for the next time I am surprised by rain on the un-fendered bikes. If it rains in the morning I take the fendered bikes or drive. (ugh!)

Even though I arrived home a little wetter than I'd like, it was still more fun than driving in traffic, and I think with the right temporary fenders things will be okay. Maybe I'll look into some actual clip on fenders to keep at work.

Likes For BobbyG:
Old 07-15-23, 04:44 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Nothing beats real fenders. They make Clip On type for bikes with tight clearance's.
Old 07-25-23, 01:25 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
I found UPS mailers in the office, so we'll see how those work.