Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Favorite Commuter Tire?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Favorite Commuter Tire?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-23, 11:58 PM
SOTA Hiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Favorite Commuter Tire?

What's your favorite tire recommendation? I do all my riding on roads. Use 700x40 tires.
I've been looking at the Bontrager H2 hard case lite, Schwalbe marathons, and Kenda Kwick Journey.

My previous tire was a Kenda that came on the bike when i puchased it. Had a blowout.
Old 06-23-23, 12:25 AM
SebWGer

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I settled on the Continental Ride Tour in various sizes. Winter mode is with 47s, summer mode mostly 38 or 40. I haven't had much luck with Kenda.
Likes For SebWGer:
Old 06-23-23, 01:24 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
~700x40, exclusively on asphalt roads ... Assuming you don't need to worry about frosty morning surfaces and much more than a bit of occasional rain, perhaps consider the ReneHerse tires.

I've got the ReneHerse Rat Rap Pass 26x2.3" and love them. At 500g each, they're light and fairly fast. At 2.3" width, they're give a cushy and smooth ride. RH makes 700c variations on the theme: click. Perhaps the Hatcher Pass in 700x48, Snoqualmie Pass in 700x44, or Barlow Pass in 700x38. Nice tires. Somewhat expensive, but you'll love how they ride. Good enough grip for rougher roads, even mild gravel and hard-packed dirt. I wouldn't prefer them for an icy, frosty morning, or during heavy rains; for that, my own preference would be for something with a bit of "rain" type tread and something known to handle colder weather. But the RH tires are stellar. About the only downside is that the lightness has only mild anti-puncture guards. Though you get a fast, comfortable, tough tire that's got far more grip than it looks like it might offer.

I've used the Vittoria Randonneur tire (here, and here). It's a pretty good one. Mild tread, for a bit of water and rougher roads and highways. 800g each. Isn't a speed demon, but it rolls well and handles most any city street.

I've also used the Continental Ride Tour tire. It's a good tire with decent puncture protection and a bit more grip for varying conditions. Comes in 700x45 (47-622), 700x40 (42-622), and 700x35 (37-622). They've also got the Continental Contact, which is similar to the Ride Tour with a similar build but with slightly less, faster tread. Good, grippy tires for basic urban and highway surfaces.

I would recommend any of these.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 06-23-23, 07:22 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by SOTA Hiker
My previous tire was a Kenda that came on the bike when i puchased it. Had a blowout.
First things first. Your picture shows the bead separated from the rest of the tire. It's a good bet that was caused by a mis-adjusted brake rubbing against the tire. Fix the brake first, and you can prevent a repeat on an $80 Rene Herse or a $15 Kenda tire.

I like the Panaracer Pasela (fill in the blank) tires, but I think they top out at 38s. You probably won't notice the difference from 40s. Continental Top Tour or Top Contact are pretty decent; kind of heavy, but that also means less likely to puncture.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 06-23-23, 07:43 AM
Trueblood

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 29 Posts
I started using Michelin Protek Cross tires. So far about 2500 miles on them, all on city streets. They have been completely reliable so far, no flats.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...ross-700c-tire
Likes For Trueblood:
Old 06-23-23, 07:43 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
I value puncture resistance over all else, so I run the Marathon Plus tires. They also last a very long time, and have low rolling resistance. The negative of this tire are that they are heavy, and some say they are stiff and not comfortable.
Likes For timdow:
Old 06-23-23, 09:27 AM
SOTA Hiker

Originally Posted by pdlamb
First things first. Your picture shows the bead separated from the rest of the tire. It's a good bet that was caused by a mis-adjusted brake rubbing against the tire. Fix the brake first, and you can prevent a repeat on an $80 Rene Herse or a $15 Kenda tire.

I like the Panaracer Pasela (fill in the blank) tires, but I think they top out at 38s. You probably won't notice the difference from 40s. Continental Top Tour or Top Contact are pretty decent; kind of heavy, but that also means less likely to puncture.
No, wasn't the brakes. I have disc brakes. The bead was starting to stretch on the tire and I tried to get another ride out of it. Stupid me.
Old 06-23-23, 01:12 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
I had Bontrager H2 in 26 x 2.0 on the commuter and they lasted for years and only got a few flats towards the end of their life. I don't see those tires around. I've looked. So I got some Marathon Plus with great trepidation because of their bad press for being heavy and slow. I've had them on for a couple of months and find them much faster than the Bonties were. If this is slow, I'm ok with that. Add my recommendation to the previous one.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 06-24-23, 03:16 AM
SOTA Hiker

Thanks everyone. Think I will give the Schwable Marathons a shot.

Last edited by SOTA Hiker; 06-24-23 at 03:58 AM.
Likes For SOTA Hiker:
Old 06-28-23, 01:13 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Bontrager Chupacabra tires have way less rolling resistance than Maxxis Assegai...

...is the jokey answer.

The real answer is nothing really beats regular Marathons (or their direct imitators/competitors) on all categories for a tubed tire. They take a thick-armor rather than hard-armor design to its best advantage.

Since my bike is tubeless, I chose the armored version of the Gravelking. It's better than the knobby Teravail the bike came with by leaps and bounds. But I'm not convinced it's much different than any other tubeless slick.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 06-28-23, 01:18 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by SOTA Hiker
Thanks everyone. Think I will give the Schwable Marathons a shot.
I like the Schwalbe marathons a lot for a commuter. They come in different versions with different levels of flat protection. You will want to spend some time on Schwable's website and do a bit of reading on this. I opted for Marathon Greenguard for my commuter. You may like that or you may want a version with more or less flat protection.
Old 06-28-23, 04:17 PM
SOTA Hiker

I went with the regular Marathons. HS-420
Likes For SOTA Hiker:
Old 06-29-23, 08:14 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Marathon Supreme, Panaracer Protite, Marathon Almotion
Old 06-29-23, 08:45 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
I'm a bit old school. However, I still l like my 700c x 25mm Continental Gator Hardshell tires. Pretty good wear out of them. Generally good flat protection.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 06-29-23, 09:18 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
We’ll let me say the best commuter tire is a Continental GP4(5)000. Keep ‘em clean and occasionally pick out slivers of whatever.
Old 07-13-23, 08:16 AM
Cdubs

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts
I have been really happy with my EVO tires. I have them on my vintage 10 speed and my commuter. They have not given me a lick of trouble and the grip has been good.
Old 07-20-23, 11:17 AM
campfire

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 77 Posts
Add in another vote for regular GreenGuard Marathons (HS-420). Between these and Continental RideTours I have accumulated thousands of commuter miles without any punctures. Three years ago I bought a set of each for two different bikes as a comparison test. They're both holding up well. I used to get regular punctures from living next to a scrap yard. With these tires I still get sharp objects stuck in the tread. But so far none of them have worked their way through to the inside.

The Continental is cheaper and has slightly better traction in loose gravel, but t
hey're pretty similar tires overall.
Old 08-08-23, 08:06 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I've used Gatorskins in a 26x1 1/4 size for commuting in NYC and they were the best for me. Relatively light, decent flat protection, and dare I say it, fast. Last year I was planning on using this bike to ride the Empire State Trail from Buffalo to NYC so I put on the pair of Schwalbe Marathons that I had in a 26x1.75 size. I did some test rides with them with loaded bags and figured they'd be fine. I never did that ride, and this year they were still on the bike and I was taking it on short trips and it always felt like a slog. The other day I put the Gatorskins back on and the difference was night and day. I could get the bike moving again without a huge effort. I ride with an HRM and computer (bought for my road bike, but I also use on this) and my HR is way down now.

I compared the weights of the two tires, a Marathon is 740 grams while a Gatorskin is 320 grams, almost a full pound different. That's a lot of extra rotating weight. If I ever do the trail I'll keep the gatorskins on and carry an extra, that's still a lot less weight than the Marathons.

Don't let anybody tell you fat tires are just as fast as skinny ones.
Old 08-08-23, 11:12 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
right, that is the thick-armor vs hard-armor difference.

It also matters which Marathon because there are a lot. The Green Guard is about par for rolling losses with a Gatorskin, but the Plus (extra thick) is a real pig and the Efficiency (replaced the Supreme) is faster and lighter and not cheap
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 08-08-23, 11:23 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Continental Tour Ride is my favorite. I especially like their flat resistance and that raised bead in the center for riding on the asphalt. Another tire worth looking at is the Kenda 184. I think ya can still get um on ebay. I have used those on my ravel bike (torn up asphalt bike) over the past four years and they are working well.
Old 08-09-23, 02:49 AM
arupaka

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Michelin Protek Cross 700x35 ftw. They get to 37mm width with 17mm rims and it's just the sweet spot for me.
Old 08-09-23, 07:03 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
right, that is the thick-armor vs hard-armor difference.

It also matters which Marathon because there are a lot. The Green Guard is about par for rolling losses with a Gatorskin, but the Plus (extra thick) is a real pig and the Efficiency (replaced the Supreme) is faster and lighter and not cheap
I was just checking the weights and even the lightest Marathons are 50% heavier than a Gatorskin. They have their uses, and I'm not knocking them, but they just aren't for me. When I ride my bike with the fat knobbies on it that's a different use altogether than street riding to get places. The bike with the gators on it I use as a substitute for my road bike with the GP5000s on it.
Old 08-09-23, 07:19 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
I use a Marathon for the front, and the Marathon Plus for rear.
Likes For prairiepedaler:
Old 08-09-23, 07:23 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
Specialized Armadillo
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 08-09-23, 09:46 AM
Derailed

Bikes: Priority Continuum Onyx; Hunter CX

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Just last week I replaced the tires on my commuter to Continental Contact Plus (700x32). I made the switch because I lost confidence in the original tires (WTB Slick, also 700x32) after a couple of flats over a year or so (i.e., not that many, really, and may have occurred with any tires). In any event, after the flats I decided to prioritize flat protection a bit over weight. I was torn between the Schwalbe Marathon Plus and the Contact Contact Plus, but ultimately went with the Contact Plus because they were a little cheaper and lighter, yet still seemed to be well-reviewed in terms of flat protection. I don't notice a huge difference in the feel on the bike, but I feel less worried about flats. Whether that really means I'll be less prone to flats is less clear, but I'm enjoying the improved peace of mind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.