Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Clothing Repair/Hacks

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Clothing Repair/Hacks

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-23, 06:16 AM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 129 Posts
Clothing Repair/Hacks

I figured the Commuters would be the best voice on these forums for clothing hacks. I have a specific question, though I would also love to hear of other hacks that may be useful ‘down the road’…

Someone gave me almost-new winter bib tights (no chamois) and I want to make the shoulder straps a bit longer. They fit good in the leg length, waist, etc.

I was thinking of cutting the strap (where?) and adding 1-2” of additional material from an old pair of cycling shorts, but before I do anything I’ll watch this thread for ideas.

Thanks!
Old 11-05-23, 06:36 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by Noonievut
I figured the Commuters would be the best voice on these forums for clothing hacks. I have a specific question, though I would also love to hear of other hacks that may be useful ‘down the road’…

Someone gave me almost-new winter bib tights (no chamois) and I want to make the shoulder straps a bit longer. They fit good in the leg length, waist, etc.

I was thinking of cutting the strap (where?) and adding 1-2” of additional material from an old pair of cycling shorts, but before I do anything I’ll watch this thread for ideas.

Thanks!
Some better-quality bib tights and bib shorts are cut to fit well in the riding position but a bit tightly (i.e., with short-seeming straps) when you stand upright. Have you done a ride with them? If not, try them out on the road to see whether you really need to fix them.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 11-20-23, 10:39 PM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
My hacks:

One time I got my rain pants torn up in my chain so I taped them back together with Gorilla tape that even matched the pants. This had the added benefit of creating a rigid spot that helps ensure the problem won't happen again.

Waterproof camping spray

The shiny silver inserts really help to keep my feet warmer in the winter.
Old 11-21-23, 09:40 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Noonievut

Make sure you're not sewing onto mesh unless you really know what you're doing.

The best way to handle lycra seems to be using a wide zig-zag stitch on the sewing machine. That has a little bit of give to match the fabric. Try to keep it down to one pass.