Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Are SPD mountain shoes and pedals a good choice for commuting?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-15, 12:21 PM
ciderguy

Bikes: GT Traffic 2.0 w/ Blackburn Rack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been riding more and thinking about what next to add to my utility / commuting bike. I need to purchase a new pair of shoes as my venerable Brooks ASR trail runners are finally starting to show some wear. I don't really run on trails anymore because I'd rather ride my bike more often. So, instead of buying a new pair $150 ASR running shoes I find my market for new biking shoes and pedals. I'd like to stay in the sub $200 range.

Since I'm using these as a commuter / utility shoe, I need to be able to walk in them. They are also going to get wet in the rain, snowed on in the winter, and otherwise deal with all weather conditions. So far, it seems like SPD mountain biking shoes and pedals are good bet.

I was wondering if
1) I'm on the right track with SPD, and
2) Y'all have any particular favorites you might recommend.

Thanks!
Old 09-27-15, 12:45 PM
awfulwaffle 

Bikes: Franken-mountain bike, mid-90s Performance TR1000, 1990 Cannondale ST400

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use SPD shoes/pedals and have been for the last 2 years, commuting 4-5 days a week from March to late October or November. The pedals are Shimano SPD-M530s and the shoes are Shimano SH-MT33s. Paid under $100 total when I got em. I walk in the shoes when I'm at work or school just fine, as they are treaded like a regular shoe but with a cutout for a cleat. The cleat is recessed to protect them, though 2 years in the tread has worn enough that they scrape a little bit when walking on concrete. I've gotten them wet without issue, though I'm not sure I'd be so eager to wear them commuting in the winter, as that seems like it'd be a bit chilly.
Old 09-27-15, 01:14 PM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Spd is great for commuting...easy to walk around, maybe considder dual platform....spd on one side, flat on the other, for when you don't want to wear special shoes.
Old 09-27-15, 01:31 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,579 Posts
I love 'em so much that I never want to wear regular shoes when riding. (The fixed-gear with Power Grip pedals is the only exception.)
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-27-15, 02:22 PM
Giant Doofus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using power grips on MKS Sylvan Touring pedals. I like them a lot, and they work with whatever shoe I happen to be wearing.
Old 09-27-15, 06:38 PM
Paul W.

Bikes: Bianchi Sport SX, Trek 1200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also like SPD pedals and shoes for commuting. I set the tension adjusters on the pedals very loose. It makes it easier to unclip when unexpectedly needed. Also makes it easier to clip back in when starting. Rubber soles on the mtb shoes are better for grip on slippery surfaces and emergency foot downs.

I use Speedplays on my longer weekend road bike rides. To be honest, there really isn't that much practical difference between the two pedal types. For both, you twist your heels out to disengage and press/twisty mash to click in.

paulw
Torrance, CA
Old 09-27-15, 06:40 PM
TomCat_Ford

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I prefer to use normal shoes on my utility bike; however, SPDs would certainly be a good choice for commuting purposes if you wanted a clipless setup.
Old 09-27-15, 07:09 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11019 Post(s)
Liked 7,567 Times in 4,222 Posts
Originally Posted by ciderguy
I've been riding more and thinking about what next to add to my utility / commuting bike. I need to purchase a new pair of shoes as my venerable Brooks ASR trail runners are finally starting to show some wear. I don't really run on trails anymore because I'd rather ride my bike more often. So, instead of buying a new pair $150 ASR running shoes I find my market for new biking shoes and pedals. I'd like to stay in the sub $200 range.

Since I'm using these as a commuter / utility shoe, I need to be able to walk in them. They are also going to get wet in the rain, snowed on in the winter, and otherwise deal with all weather conditions. So far, it seems like SPD mountain biking shoes and pedals are good bet.

I was wondering if
1) I'm on the right track with SPD, and
2) Y'all have any particular favorites you might recommend.

Thanks!
Pedals- spd A530 or M324 are both hybrid pedals. I have both and love em for errand running and in town riding. Both have a large surface so it's easy to grip when you are starting up in stop and go traffic.

Bought em used off eBay for $35 a pair.
Wellgo makes a one sided spd pedal too, I believe.
Old 09-28-15, 06:07 AM
Outnumbered

Bikes: Cyclocross Generic Steel Frame 105 Shimano Group Set, Minn Framed Fat Bike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use SPD's for the past two years and 4000 miles and could not be happier with my choice. I use the A530 pedal as mentioned above it has one side for clip the other is flat. I have to unclip twice for two security checks I go through on the way to work and to me at least, they are about as easy as they get. My shoes are Shimao M088 and they are very easy to walk in even on wet surfaces, have nice high tread stable soles.

The A530 has an adjustment screw to increase or decrease the effort it takes to un-clip, mine are as loose as they can so I can kick out real easy and clip in real easy.
Old 09-28-15, 06:51 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
SPDs are a great choice for commuting. They are easy to clip in and out from, particularly if you buy pedals that are double-sided. They are also very durable, lasting much longer than pedals with plastic cleats.
Old 09-28-15, 07:18 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I'm in my 10th year of cycling and have used SPDs for nine of them.

As others have said, I wouldn't dream of using anything else.

If I use my shortest, and most direct route, I have 47 stoplights and stop signs (and a roundabout) in 9 miles round-trip, that's an average of one every 1,000 feet. That's a lot of unclipping. (Yeah, I sometimes hit green, and, don't tell anyone, but I've been known to roll a stop sign or two on quiet residential streets.) I wear out pedals in addition to cleats.

The hybrid pedals don't appeal to me. I started with double-sided but find I prefer the single-sided A-520s.

There is no "best" choice. There's only what any given rider prefers.
Old 09-28-15, 07:50 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
SPDs are generally better than road cleats for commuting because shoes can be manufactured to accommodate them so that the cleat lies closer to the sole than the tread. With most road systems, there's no shoe tread and off the bike, you're walking on the cleats. That said, there are higher end mtn shoes where this is not true, or where the tread and shoe construction leave a lot to be desired for a commuter. Luckily, those generally cost more than basic SPD shoes which have all the features a commuter might be looking for. $150-200 should buy a decent, mid-level pedal/shoe combo.

I like Bontrager (Trek house brand--shill alert: I work PT in a Trek shop...) shoes because they seem to have a wider toe box to accommodate my wider feet. Someday, probably next year, I also plan on picking up a pair of Keen sandals with the SPD bottoms. At the moment, I am not commuting in SPD shoes, preferring flat shoes and platform pedals.
Old 09-28-15, 09:03 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Currently using a discontinued model of one of these for commuting and walking into work. I have not worn them all day to walk around in, but I would imagine that I could because they are that comfortable.

Cyclist Shoes | City SPD Shoes | City SPD Footwear | Chrome Industries
Old 09-28-15, 10:28 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Pedals- spd A530 or M324 are both hybrid pedals. I have both and love em for errand running and in town riding. Both have a large surface so it's easy to grip when you are starting up in stop and go traffic.

Bought em used off eBay for $35 a pair.
Wellgo makes a one sided spd pedal too, I believe.
I also have both A530's and M324's. I use Bontrager SSR shoes in warmer months (which look and walk like normal shoes, maybe hiking shoes or similar). They're great, but too vented for cold weather. In the cold I use a more normal-style MTB shoe (like a road shoe but with the plastic walking tread, and SPD cleats).

I also prefer SPD on just about every ride. Yesterday I did ride to my parents' house with flip flops, but that's unusual.
Old 09-29-15, 12:14 PM
ciderguy

Bikes: GT Traffic 2.0 w/ Blackburn Rack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
I like Bontrager (Trek house brand--shill alert: I work PT in a Trek shop...) shoes because they seem to have a wider toe box to accommodate my wider feet. Someday, probably next year, I also plan on picking up a pair of Keen sandals with the SPD bottoms. At the moment, I am not commuting in SPD shoes, preferring flat shoes and platform pedals.
Recommend what you know! I too have wide feet, so I'll be sure to check that out. Lately, I've been commuting a good bit in wet weather and I have to take it easy uphills to avoid slipping off my pedals. I know I could purchase platform pedals that grip better, but I like the idea of having bike specific shoes.

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
I also have both A530's and M324's. I use Bontrager SSR shoes in warmer months (which look and walk like normal shoes, maybe hiking shoes or similar). They're great, but too vented for cold weather. In the cold I use a more normal-style MTB shoe (like a road shoe but with the plastic walking tread, and SPD cleats).

I also prefer SPD on just about every ride. Yesterday I did ride to my parents' house with flip flops, but that's unusual.
I'm not too worried about venting and cold. It doesn't get what I would call "cold here. My feet tend to run hot. I'm more worried about near freezing weather + rain. I need something that is either going to stay dry or will mostly dry out in 8 hours while I'm at work so my feet aren't wet on the commute home.
Old 09-29-15, 12:25 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

If you're concerned about shoes drying out, get a small fan to keep under your desk (if you have a desk job), and let the fan blow onto the shoes and/or socks.
Old 09-29-15, 12:57 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Opinions vary . non (or recovering) gear heads can get along without them ..

They are walkable, for Hike-a-Bike MTB riding .. I Got a pair that Were made In Italy For Nike .. But.. that was Long Ago.

Winter and Wet a shoe cover would Be required & I Wouldn't want to wear them all day Long.

In the Winter forum people talk about their SPD Snow Boots ..

You can Buy an electric Boot drier to leave at work and put your shoes over that .
and some other shoes for On the Job..

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-07-15 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-29-15, 01:33 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
If you're concerned about shoes drying out, get a small fan to keep under your desk (if you have a desk job), and let the fan blow onto the shoes and/or socks.
If your shoes smell at all, I would avoid doing that as I'd expect coworkers to complain.
Old 09-29-15, 03:14 PM
PatrickGSR94

Originally Posted by PaulRivers
If your shoes smell at all, I would avoid doing that as I'd expect coworkers to complain.
I've never had that problem.
Old 09-29-15, 03:54 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tsl
There is no "best" choice. There's only what any given rider prefers.
See....as I have posted. You will seldom, if ever, get an answer on bikeforums. Nothing but a basket full of opinions. The trick is to find members that post options that also work for you.

tsl is a member whose advice you would do well to heed. Especially as winter nears.
Old 09-29-15, 04:02 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3130 Post(s)
Liked 2,111 Times in 1,374 Posts
I think if you want clipless for commuting, SPD's or their clones are the way to go. They are inexpensive, easy to use, and there's a large variety of compatible shoes.

Whether you want clipless for commuting is a perennial favorite topic. I feel like it depends on the bike. My current ride seems to be asking me for them.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-29-15, 04:20 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3945 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
I commuted with SPD shoes for a while. I got mountain bike shoes because in theory you can wear them indoors, but in fact the rubber mounds around the cleat soon wore down and they clacked on the floor. So I wore them into the office, where they have heavy duty flooring, and changed at my desk, but at home I always took them off outside to avoid marking up my floors.

After a while I got tired of that, as well as always clipping out to rest my foot on the curb at stoplights and then clipping back in, and switched back to regular shoes and flat pedals. I don't miss clipless at all.

OOMV.

Originally Posted by Paul W.
I also like SPD pedals and shoes for commuting. I set the tension adjusters on the pedals very loose. It makes it easier to unclip when unexpectedly needed.
I actually found it easier to click out if the tension was tight. More force, but less range of movement needed. I also found it helped to angle the cleat slightly to point inward, so less outward heel movement is needed.

Last edited by cooker; 09-29-15 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-29-15, 04:35 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3945 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by gregjones
You will seldom, if ever, get an answer on bikeforums. Nothing but a basket full of opinions.
LOL There is no right answer to a question on whether "X" is the "best" choice. The only kind of valid answer to a question about preferences, is an opinion.
Old 09-29-15, 04:41 PM
PaulRivers

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I think if you want clipless for commuting, SPD's or their clones are the way to go. They are inexpensive, easy to use, and there's a large variety of compatible shoes. Whether you want clipless for commuting is a perennial favorite topic. I feel like it depends on the bike. My current ride seems to be asking me for them.
Spd's are great in all conditions except particularly mucky ones. Heavy mud, snow, icy conditions - they're not as good as Crank Brothers or Time pedals for being able to gunk out of the cleat when you clip in.

Spd's are very reliable. So are Time pedals. Crank Brothers had a very very poor reputation for reliability. They did redesign their pedals, so I don't know if it's improved things.

That's why I went with Time Atac's. If you aren't literally walking through mud before clipping in, and you aren't riding in snow and icy conditions, then spd's are a lot easier to find and also a great choice. In my opinion.

Last edited by PaulRivers; 09-29-15 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-29-15, 04:54 PM
PaulRivers

Originally Posted by cooker
LOL There is no right answer to a question on whether "X" is the "best" choice. The only kind of valid answer to a question about preferences, is an opinion.
Ha there are some "right" answers to whether "X" is the "best" choice. It's just that when there's 1 clear answer people tend to not continuously ask about it.
- Would LED lights be better for night riding, or oil soaked torches?
- Should I get a steel frame, or a wood carved frame?
- I have an effectively unlimited amount of money. Should I buy a bike from Walmart, or from a local bike shop?
- I'm building up a bike - should I install rim brakes, or just drag my foot along the ground to stop?
- There's a short section of commute where the only road to cross is interstate highway, which is illegal for me to bike on. My other two options are either to bike slowly on a sidewalk, or to walk my bike across a field fenced off with a sign that says "Warning! Extremely Aggressive Bull! No trespassing!" and I can see the bull on the hill angrily watching everyone go by. Which should I do?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.