Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Denting the stays

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Denting the stays

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-16, 06:30 AM
TimmyT 
Keener splendor

Bikes: Black Mountain Cycles Road and canti MX, Cannondale CAAD12, Bob Jackson Vigorelli

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 51 Posts
Denting the stays

I was interested in getting some fatter tires on my 2008 Lemond Poprad. The Poprad is designed for 34c tires with True Temper OX Platinum tubing. The fork is carbon with the canti-posts about 78mm apart, and the rear seat stays have the canti posts about 74mm apart. Relative to vintage touring bikes, this is huge.

I wedged a 38mm tire in there with a couple of mm on either sided, but eventually these stretched, and I rubbed the paint off the inside of the stays --- mainly from those little nubs that come on new tires.

The problem is that the chain stays are too narrow near the bottom bracket. There is a subtle bend in them near the bottom bracket, but they are not indented for extra clearance. The obvious thing to do is to make the indentations.

The little motobecane I had for sale had excellent indentations for clearance, and these were common on 1970s stee bikes. With some advice from @rhm @nlerner and @zaphodbeeblebrox, I decided to do it.

Plenty of bikes have straight stays, and with all the fattish tire kool-aid flooding the taps, this is my solution to getting extra clearance. It’s meant as a tutorial and denting the stays is not difficult.

The first thing is to make a tool for indenting.

A 3" piece of steel is what I used. I ground it down to a tapered wedge.

Then I finished it by hand with a set of files. The result was intentionally asymmetric lengthwise, but nearly symmetric in cross section. I wasn’t sure which end would be more valuable in dealing with the angled stays. I also made a wooden cradle for the outside of the stay out of a piece of leftover red oak flooring.

I marked the stays for the rim and tire. The rubbing from the fatter tires had created a “center,” so I lined up the wedge with that. I was going to use a bench vise, but there is not enough of a gap at the bottom bracket for my vise to fit. I also put a hub in the rear dropouts to prevent any weird bending of the triangle. I took the rings off the crankset because I figured I had enough clearance that way. I was going to use a wood clamp to hold the stays close to the bottom bracket, but there was not enough room.

I wound up using two clamps, and my thinking on this evolved while I was working. I started out holding the red oak, foam, and steel wedge with both clamps. This didn’t work so well. Instead, I used the quick grip spring clamp to hold the red oak cradle with a little bit of closed cell to the stay. Then I lined up the wedge and used a C-clamp to make the indentation. The C-clamp went from the outside of the stay across the oak to the steel wedge.

The steel wedge, C-clamp, and stay are a slippery combination, so that the angles need a lot of adjustment before clamping. Once they are lined up, making the indentation is not hard.

View from the bottom (potato quality)

On the second side, lining up is done the same way, but to make the stays symmetric takes some practice. From the photos, I got close on the first time I did this, but it isn't something that I would notice.

In the future, I would take off the crankarms. I needed all the space I had, and those extra inches would have been useful. The wedge I made is sufficient. I’m not exactly sure how to improve it, perhaps by having more of a “flat spot” at the first contact point to prevent slipping.

The final indentations:

The final fit:
Non drive side,

Drive side,

The change in the width at the tire went from about 40mm to about 50mm. I could have made larger indentations ... but maybe next time.

Last edited by TimmyT; 09-18-16 at 06:36 AM.
Old 09-18-16, 07:50 AM
a3inverter

Bikes: More than the boss realizes...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweet! I have a Trek 460 that I've considered converting to 650b and I think I need a bit more denting to fit 38c's.
Old 09-18-16, 07:54 AM
TimmyT 
Keener splendor

Bikes: Black Mountain Cycles Road and canti MX, Cannondale CAAD12, Bob Jackson Vigorelli

I say, "Do it!" There are a lot of old frames that aren't particularly valuable that could ride a lot better with plump tires. The hard part is the symmetry, but it's easily covered by a fat tire

Last edited by TimmyT; 09-18-16 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-18-16, 08:11 AM
Steve Whitlatch 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 35 Posts
You could just buy a beach cruiser.
Old 09-18-16, 08:53 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
Great motivation to try this some day! I have a few bikes with chain stays that are too short for fatter tires without denting, I'll pick a tester some day and try it.
Old 09-18-16, 09:12 AM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts
Someone on the CR list did something similar. But he welded the wedge to a clamp which eliminated a lot of hassle.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 09-18-16, 09:12 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,716 Times in 2,613 Posts
Thanks, but I'll stick to my 23mm tires at 140 psi.
Old 09-18-16, 10:42 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Thanks, but I'll stick to my 23mm tires at 140 psi.
Touche!
Old 09-18-16, 10:43 AM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Nice effort and result!
Old 09-18-16, 11:14 AM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
I'm surprised that you could only get a 38 in there. My 05 Poprad fits a 40mm Nano on 23mm rims. Nice job on the crimping though.
Old 09-18-16, 11:27 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Great tool development and workmanship. It's not any easy operation. A "don't try this at home" warning applies, IMO.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 09-18-16, 11:38 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Did this recently on a Bianchi Eros frame I am converting to 650B. I shaped a piece of dogwood instead of steel. Worked like a charm. Space is certainly tight.
Old 09-18-16, 11:43 AM
Chris W.

Bikes: 76' Centrurion Pro-Tour, 86' Specialized Rock Hopper, 88' Centurion Iron Man, 89' Bruce Gordon "Hikari", 95' Rock Hopper Ultra.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I did pretty much the same thing except I welded the wedge to the clamp, worked great! I too put a hub in the Dropout's, but did notice that the rear end was tighter after crimping the chainstays (130 to 127).
Cheers,
Chris
Old 09-18-16, 11:53 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked 3,480 Times in 1,133 Posts
Nicely done!

A framebuilder I know uses a similar technique. He uses the cut off head from an old golf putter to form the dent.
Brent
Old 09-18-16, 05:03 PM
Flog00

Bikes: Tomii Touring

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Great result!
Old 09-19-16, 05:38 AM
TimmyT 
Keener splendor

Thanks, guys, for the support and kind words. The old putter sounds like the easy thing to do. What I made is very much like one of those mini golf putters.

Originally Posted by Chris W.
I did pretty much the same thing except I welded the wedge to the clamp, worked great! I too put a hub in the Dropout's, but did notice that the rear end was tighter after crimping the chainstays (130 to 127).
In my effort to figure out how to do this, I contacted Mark Bulgier who did something similar recently. Because it was an experiment, he used one of his lower quality C clamps. After 2 frames, it started to get crunchy. My goal was to use the vise, but there isn't enough clearance.

How is your C clamp fairing, and how many frames have you done? I'm curious because I was thinking of going that route. I have at least one more frame to do.

Last edited by TimmyT; 09-19-16 at 05:42 AM.
Old 09-19-16, 07:29 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Nicely done. Thanks for the step by step.
Old 09-20-16, 09:05 PM
Chris W.

Bikes: 76' Centrurion Pro-Tour, 86' Specialized Rock Hopper, 88' Centurion Iron Man, 89' Bruce Gordon "Hikari", 95' Rock Hopper Ultra.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TimmyT
Thanks, guys, for the support and kind words. The old putter sounds like the easy thing to do. What I made is very much like one of those mini golf putters.

In my effort to figure out how to do this, I contacted Mark Bulgier who did something similar recently. Because it was an experiment, he used one of his lower quality C clamps. After 2 frames, it started to get crunchy. My goal was to use the vise, but there isn't enough clearance.

How is your C clamp fairing, and how many frames have you done? I'm curious because I was thinking of going that route. I have at least one more frame to do.
Funny you should ask. I've done two frames, the first was an 86' Rock hopper, this was for practice. The second was a Bruce Gordon Hikari that I'm converting to 650b. Yes, the cheap C-Clamp is getting pretty wonky. My next crimping tool will be made out of a large pair of Vice-Grips.
Cheers,
Chris
Old 09-20-16, 09:08 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Nicely done, @TimmyT! I've read a few informative and encouraging threads about this on the 650B Google group, but am still summoning the courage to try it on my bike.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-21-16, 08:47 PM
Chris W.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Nicely done, @TimmyT! I've read a few informative and encouraging threads about this on the 650B Google group, but am still summoning the courage to try it on my bike.
My conversion project sat idle for six or seven months while I mustered up the courage to do the deed... All's I can say is, just do it!!!

Cheers,
Chris
Old 09-21-16, 10:26 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,478 Times in 1,439 Posts
Ooh, can I borrow your wedge? It worked well for you. I have 37mm tires on my International, and the clearance is only 1 or 2mm, and I probably won't be able to keep them and install fenders. Maybe I could if I dented in this way.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-21-16, 11:15 PM
illwafer
)) <> ((

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
let's play pass the wedge . i'm about to do this to an old tandem as i have 35 mm tires in 37 mm of clearance lol. would love to try stuffing a 40 in there.

you nailed it though. great job.
Old 09-22-16, 04:46 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris W.
Funny you should ask. I've done two frames, the first was an 86' Rock hopper, this was for practice. The second was a Bruce Gordon Hikari that I'm converting to 650b. Yes, the cheap C-Clamp is getting pretty wonky. My next crimping tool will be made out of a large pair of Vice-Grips.
Cheers,
Chris
Chris, did you consider crimping the Woodrup frame?
Old 09-22-16, 05:00 AM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
I was in a hurry to crimp stays similarly on my aluminum CX200 recently. My "forming tool" was a 1/4" drive, 5/16" socket (i.e. a steel tube about 3/8" diameter by 1.25" long). On the opposite side, I supported the tube with a soft jaw for my vise. To apply force, I used a single 6" C-clamp. To keep the small parts in place, I just duct taped them to the frame. It was quick and the finished product looks and works great.
Old 09-22-16, 04:33 PM
Chris W.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Chris, did you consider crimping the Woodrup frame?
Ah, the Woodrup, actually it had quite a bit of clearance already. What kept me from doing a 650b conversion on it was too much reach for the brakes. It would probably be great for a conversion if you were to braze on bosses for cantilever or center pull brakes

Cheers,
Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.