Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help with info on Woodrup frame

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Help with info on Woodrup frame

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-05, 12:32 PM
chajmahal
bum bike

Bikes: '85 Woodrup Giro-Touring, 87 Centurion LeMans RS (2), 78 Centurion LeMans, 77 Centurion Super LeMans, 2001 Jamis Quest, 1970 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Apparently being the only bike nut at work has it's payoffs. Last friday I was sitting in my office drying off my feet from a shower after the commute in (on my gas pipe 78 Centurion) when a guy from another division comes in with a lightweight bike and asks if I'm the "the bike guy" he heard about. Seems he's in the process of cleaning out his garage and brought the bike in to give to me. I was happy to take it as it looked like a quality frame but with lower-end components.

I wasn't familiar with Woodrup but I could see the Campy headset, dropouts and a 531 Reynolds tubing sticker so I knew the bike was at least of some quality. Does anybody have any info on this bike? I sent Woodrup an info request on their website but was hoping someone here might have some info. The bike is a Giro-Touring model with an "S.M. Woodrup" signature sticker ont he top tube. Serial Number is 85064 on the bottom Bracket along with Cinelli.

As for components, the bike has an ecclectic mix of older Suntour (early 80's?) and Raleigh low-end stuff. He had a Raleigh which was too big so he somehow obtained the Woodrup frame and used the parts from that bike to build up the Woodrup. I'd be interested in hearing what components the Woodrup should have as the Raleigh stuff is pretty cheap. The current wheels used with the frame seem to have a narrower spacing as I have to push in on the fork blades and rear end to get them in place. The current freewheel is a 6 spd but I haven't measured yet to see if it's regular 6 spd or an "ultra".

Last edited by chajmahal; 12-19-05 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-19-05, 01:05 PM
TheOtherGuy
Knows Bigfoot's Momma

Bikes: yeah; got a couple...

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think that's an '85 build from that serial#. TOP quality frame, but probably has an unusually high BB shell. Nice ride though. Components could be anything you wanted from the period, but commonly Campagnolo Nuovo Record or Victory by '85. Post some pictures! I've got 3 Woodrups here, one with a cracked frame though; it was always overloaded (full touring setup), and ridden very many miles. I bought that cracked one, but the previous owner didn't even know it was broken (refunded my $ though)... I'll use the fork for something else.

Also, do a search on the CR list archives; there's quite a bit of info on Woodrup, including a recent thread.
Old 12-19-05, 02:33 PM
chajmahal
bum bike

Bikes: '85 Woodrup Giro-Touring, 87 Centurion LeMans RS (2), 78 Centurion LeMans, 77 Centurion Super LeMans, 2001 Jamis Quest, 1970 Raleigh Grand Prix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The frame definitely is quality but there must have been an issue with the prep done for the paint job. The paint is peeling and flaking everywhere. Disappointing since I like the color and can't afford a repaint. The previous owner had a kickstand mounted loosely at the bottom bracket on the chainstays. Rocked back and forth and scraped up the metal quite a bit.

Any idea what spacing the rear is supposed to be? 126, 130mm? The hubs on it now are not original, probably late 70's low-end. I assume they are 120mm.
Old 12-19-05, 04:06 PM
roadrasher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I've got a Woodrup from 1984, they're very nice bikes.

I contacted them directly through their website @ www.woodrupcycles.com they got back to me very quickly with all the info I asked for.
The paint on mine is sort of shabby as well,I asked them about replacement decals but didn't get a response, I didn't push the issue, but it would be interesting to see of they are available.

My guess on the rear spacing, without checking my own,would be 126mm.

If the guy is offering it at a decent price you should buy it. they really are good quality frames.

Good luck.
'Rasher
Old 12-19-05, 05:06 PM
chajmahal
bum bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sent them an email with my serial number so hopefully I'll hear back from them soon. Classic Rendezvous has a serial number link on Woodrup bikes that seems to verify mine is an 85 model year. 126mm would be good so I can make it a 14 spd.

I like the geometry, long chainstays and relaxed head and seat tubes. 2 waterbottle locations, all the rack and fender eyelets. Best part? It's free!
Old 12-19-05, 08:06 PM
TheOtherGuy
Knows Bigfoot's Momma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Free is the right price! Not absolutely sure, but I think most here in the States (from the '80s, anyway) were imported bare, and painted by TSD in Florida.
Old 12-19-05, 11:01 PM
chajmahal
bum bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I finally managed to break away from the wife and baby to take a few bad pictures of the bike. Anyone know what the deal is with the Cinelli logo on the bottom bracket shell?

Note the damage from the kickstand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2444a.jpg (90.9 KB, 230 views)
IMG_2445a.jpg (83.7 KB, 216 views)
IMG_2448a.jpg (77.6 KB, 222 views)
Old 12-19-05, 11:05 PM
TheOtherGuy
Knows Bigfoot's Momma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Besides building frames and making handlebars, stems, saddles, etc., Cinelli also made frame parts. That BB shell was very popular among builders during the '80s.
Old 12-20-05, 10:12 AM
chajmahal
bum bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't heard back from Woodrup on my info request but they may be on holiday or have better things to do right now. I'll try again in a few weeks. Roadrasher: I'll also make a point to ask them about decals. BF member mswantak makes decals for $30 a complete set. I bought a set for my Raleigh and they look great but I've had too many projects to get around to repainting it and applying the decals.

I started looking on ebay and elsewhere for Campy Nuovo Record and it appears this may take a while unless I can score a complete set from someone. Cinelli BB shell, campy dropouts? I can't believe the previous owner put el cheapo parts on this frame. I'll have to ask him how he wound up with the frame. He spent money on a good frame and didn't put higher end parts on it. Odd.
Old 12-20-05, 11:53 AM
TheOtherGuy
Knows Bigfoot's Momma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They were high quality frames, very nicely built, but they were often sold as framesets during the '80s. People built 'em with whatever was inexpensive from their shop or mailorder catalog pages, or as a complete bike with Victory or Nuovo Record. Have a look here:

https://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/woodrup/
https://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalog...3/9woodrup.jpg
Old 12-23-05, 03:16 PM
Flaneur

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Woodrups was my local shop between 1975 and 1984. S M Woodrup sounds like Steve, son of Maurice the proprietor. Steve was the primary frame builder in those days, but seldom advertised the fact on a frame- they were all "Woodrup" branded.

The business would build bikes to customer order but did not sell their own frames as complete bikes, as a general rule. Most of their business came from local racers and club riders. Leeds rivals Bob Jackson Cycles were more renowned for exporting to the states and catering to tourists. Unusual to see a Woodrup with extra under-tube bosses or rack brazings. Not unheard of- they did something similar for me in 1981;-)

Chances are your frame has cast lugs to complement the top quality bottom bracket shell. It deserves a pampered life, with better components and a single colour, enamel paint job...........
Old 12-25-05, 12:08 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
I have a Giro Touring from the early '80s, and I've pored over my friend's from the mid-80s. Both are 126 mm rear spacing. I haven't built mine yet. In your time frame they were specced by Ten Speed and made with Cinelli lugs and BB. Mine is earlier and has different lugs and a non-Cinelli BB, and an aero sloped fork crown.

Ken
Old 12-25-05, 12:11 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Flaneur
Woodrups was my local shop between 1975 and 1984. S M Woodrup sounds like Steve, son of Maurice the proprietor. Steve was the primary frame builder in those days, but seldom advertised the fact on a frame- they were all "Woodrup" branded.

The business would build bikes to customer order but did not sell their own frames as complete bikes, as a general rule. Most of their business came from local racers and club riders. Leeds rivals Bob Jackson Cycles were more renowned for exporting to the states and catering to tourists. Unusual to see a Woodrup with extra under-tube bosses or rack brazings. Not unheard of- they did something similar for me in 1981;-)

Chances are your frame has cast lugs to complement the top quality bottom bracket shell. It deserves a pampered life, with better components and a single colour, enamel paint job...........
Are they still in business and owned by the family? I've emailed twice for info on my frame, with no response.

BTW, my frame has under-bosses for a water bottle, but no rack brazings.

I plan to repair my paint, then shop for nice parts for it.

Ken
Old 12-26-05, 10:33 AM
Flaneur

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last time I was in Leeds, they were still there, with Steve in charge. These type of shops are deeply old-fashioned, so don't expect a reply to your E, until they run out of filing jobs for the 16 year old saturday kid to do, thus freeing him up to switch the PC on............

a letter or phone call they might understand;-)
Old 12-16-16, 02:15 PM
ACyclingRooster

Bikes: a Fully restored 52cm Italian build Benotto Modelo 850.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi to you all out there. Did Woodrup frames ever have a TD reference before the frame number ?

If so - approximately from when would the frame number have included the letters ?
Old 12-16-16, 07:28 PM
Chris W.

Bikes: 76' Centrurion Pro-Tour, 86' Specialized Rock Hopper, 88' Centurion Iron Man, 89' Bruce Gordon "Hikari", 95' Rock Hopper Ultra.

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Send an email to Woodrup, Kevin Sayles is really good about looking up numbers and getting back to you!
So I just checked there web page, and it's under construction However, for my last Woodrup frame inquiry, they were very prompt in sending me the info back.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 12-16-16, 11:40 PM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 864 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by ACyclingRooster
Hi to you all out there. Did Woodrup frames ever have a TD reference before the frame number ?

If so - approximately from when would the frame number have included the letters ?
Well, not according to this at least: WOODRUP date chart

My first thought was Ten Speed Drive, minus the 'S'.

What makes you think Woodrup? Maybe post some pics in a new thread requesting help with an ID, plenty of sleuths here.
Old 12-17-16, 05:02 AM
ACyclingRooster

Bikes: a Fully restored 52cm Italian build Benotto Modelo 850.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sir_Name
Well, not according to this at least: WOODRUP date chart

My first thought was Ten Speed Drive, minus the 'S'.

What makes you think Woodrup? Maybe post some pics in a new thread requesting help with an ID, plenty of sleuths here.
Hi Sir_Name. Thank you for your reply. I have been following the frame - a 50cm in a Deep Red/Maroon - on the UK E'bay site.
When I first saw the frame I was actually unsure as I did not recognise the lugs on the head-tube as being those by Woodrup.
When I asked what the frame number was - I was told that it was TD5313.
I found the Woodrup Register/Date Chart that you have shown and that is why I asked the question.
The frame that I found could look very good once it is shot-blasted and given a new jacket of Flamboyant Crimson or a Flamboyant Maroon.
But without authenticity - it is just another steel frame.

There seems to be an awful lot of 'self kidology' about these days and it is so easily accomplished with decals and transfers being readily available on the internet.
Attached Images
s-l1600.jpg (89.6 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by ACyclingRooster; 12-17-16 at 05:21 AM.