Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

International Redux

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

International Redux

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-16, 04:46 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by fender1
This bike will be slow because there are no light, 650b wheels available, anywhere, no matter what. Ever.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-12-16, 05:32 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,716 Times in 2,613 Posts
Well, the bike will be slow because the engine is slow. Or maybe it calls for a 650B wheel with an electric-assist rear hub?
Old 12-12-16, 06:29 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Well, the bike will be slow because the engine is slow. Or maybe it calls for a 650B wheel with an electric-assist rear hub?
Nah, it'll have the same engine as all your other bikes, so that should be okay. And any time you ride it, you will know that it's going faster than any of the others.

No, if it's lacking anything, it'll be snazzy decals. And that would be sad. but eh, whatever.
Old 12-12-16, 07:21 PM
nlerner

Originally Posted by rhm
Nah, it'll have the same engine as all your other bikes, so that should be okay. And any time you ride it, you will know that it's going faster than any of the others.

No, if it's lacking anything, it'll be snazzy decals. And that would be sad. but eh, whatever.
Hmm, I'm thinking something like this might be kinda cool:

Old 12-13-16, 12:04 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,803 Times in 2,286 Posts
Perhaps you need a different tack.

May I suggest 650cc?

Old 12-21-16, 05:56 PM
nlerner

My gugiefied '71 Raleigh International found its way to my door this afternoon. A few unveiling pics:

Box1

Closely guarded by a Papillon:

Box2

That man sure knows how to pack a bike frame!

Box3

The color revealed; I'm very pleased with how it turned out:

Box4

Box5

I'm in the process of building it up now, so hopefully some in-progress or complete project pics soon.
Old 12-21-16, 06:09 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
My gugiefied '71 Raleigh International found its way to my door this afternoon. A few unveiling pics:

I'm in the process of building it up now, so hopefully some in-progress or complete project pics soon.
Very nicely done, looking forward to the build pics.
Having been around flat tables & fork jigs back when getting an elegant re-rake of the fork to low trail for your project is a sign of true craftsmanship.

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 12-22-16 at 02:22 AM.
Old 12-21-16, 06:25 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Fantastic job. Sorry if I missed this detail, but which color code is that?
Old 12-21-16, 10:00 PM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 864 Times in 273 Posts
That's great, looking forward to more!
Old 12-21-16, 10:05 PM
nlerner

Originally Posted by due ruote
Fantastic job. Sorry if I missed this detail, but which color code is that?
I went with RAL-5024.
Old 12-22-16, 09:34 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Very nice. Looking forward to the build.
Old 12-23-16, 05:03 PM
nlerner

Okay, here's the current status of the the gugie-fied Int'l: Build is largely complete; I still need to hook up the rear lamp, but that's about it other than to think about a few more decals. Build includes 10-speed Shimano 105/5700 mechs and brifters, Sun XCD crankset, Shimano A530 pedals, Velocity A23 rims with rear Dura Ace 7403 and a front S-P dynohub, Soma Grand Randoneur 42 x 650B EL tires, Velo-Orange Zeppelin fenders, MAFAC Raid brakes, American Classic seat post, Brooks B17 in green w/ Ti rails, Nitto Technomic stem, Nitto Rando bars, Brooks green leather bar tape, custom @gugie front rack and B&M IQ Cyo lamp. Shown with an Acorn boxy rando bag though I have a Swift front bag currently being borrowed by a friend that'll likely be the primary one I'll use on this bike.

After a flurry of work-related activity, I was able to get out for a good shakedown ride. On the way west, I had a strong wind in my face, my saddle clamp loosened (I wondered why the bars seemed to get farther and farther away), and I was trying to get the feel for this new rig. On the way east, the wind was behind me, my saddle didn't slip, and the ride felt stable and smooth. I did feel like the tires need some breaking in (they created a fairly strong buzzing sensation). Some pics:

IMG_9361

IMG_7706

IMG_0541

IMG_5863

IMG_4364

Along the Charles River:
IMG_5688

IMG_0302
Old 12-23-16, 06:56 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Okay, here's the current status of the the gugie-fied Int'l: Build is largely complete; I still need to hook up the rear lamp, but that's about it other than to think about a few more decals.
Looking good! Two comments:

1. I did not hook up a ground from the fork to the frame as we discussed. My latest thinking is it probably won't need one - I did a test with one of my lights, looks like the ground through the headset is good. If you feel you need one, you can loosen up the "through bolt" and use a spade lug under it, ground to any part of the fork or front rack per the "usual method".
2. I recommend only cycling east in your neck of the woods. It's easier, the saddle doesn't budge, but then there's the call of shame at the end of the ride. I hear either Uber or Lyft will keep it "your little secret".

Good choice on the choice of Raleigh logos.
Old 12-23-16, 07:35 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,389 Times in 3,674 Posts
Absolutely stunning! Great to see a plan come together when great minds think alike, you and gugie have done an excellent job.

Okay, here's the current status of the the gugie-fied Int'l: Build is largely complete; I still need to hook up the rear lamp, but that's about it other than to think about a few more decals. Build includes 10-speed Shimano 105/5700 mechs and brifters, Sun XCD crankset, Shimano A530 pedals, Velocity A23 rims with rear Dura Ace 7403 and a front S-P dynohub, Soma Grand Randoneur 42 x 650B EL tires, Velo-Orange Zeppelin fenders, MAFAC Raid brakes, American Classic seat post, Brooks B17 in green w/ Ti rails, Nitto Technomic stem, Nitto Rando bars, Brooks green leather bar tape, custom @gugie front rack and B&M IQ Cyo lamp. Shown with an Acorn boxy rando bag though I have a Swift front bag currently being borrowed by a friend that'll likely be the primary one I'll use on this bike.

After a flurry of work-related activity, I was able to get out for a good shakedown ride. On the way west, I had a strong wind in my face, my saddle clamp loosened (I wondered why the bars seemed to get farther and farther away), and I was trying to get the feel for this new rig. On the way east, the wind was behind me, my saddle didn't slip, and the ride felt stable and smooth. I did feel like the tires need some breaking in (they created a fairly strong buzzing sensation). Some pics:

IMG_9361

IMG_7706

IMG_0541

IMG_5863

IMG_4364

Along the Charles River:
IMG_5688

IMG_0302
Old 12-23-16, 07:42 PM
tyler_fred

Bikes: American, Italian, and Japanese.. in no particular order.

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
Nice job! I love the creative functionality.
Old 12-23-16, 07:49 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 1,581 Posts

IMG_9361

IMG_7706

IMG_0541

IMG_5863

IMG_4364

Along the Charles River:
IMG_5688

IMG_0302

I'm a big fan of the American Classic seatpost, and if I'm reading your post correctly, the saddle clamp on the seatpost became loose?

If so, then perhaps it will help when I say that this isn't/wasn't an unusual thing. The little pointed set screw that sets the saddle tilt tends to create a little divot in the upper plate as the bike is ridden, which reduces the tightness with which the clamp grabs the saddle rails.

This is usually something that only has to be addressed once or twice, but I know of a handful of people who've sworn off (and sworn at) the American Classic post for this reason.

American Classic hasn't made this model of seatpost since around 2008 or so.... is yours NOS or previously used?

Anyway... don't give up on the seatpost, and congrats on getting the bike together and on the road!

Steve in Peoria
(with American Classic posts on three bikes)
Old 12-23-16, 07:53 PM
nlerner

Originally Posted by gugie
Looking good! Two comments:

1. I did not hook up a ground from the fork to the frame as we discussed. My latest thinking is it probably won't need one - I did a test with one of my lights, looks like the ground through the headset is good. If you feel you need one, you can loosen up the "through bolt" and use a spade lug under it, ground to any part of the fork or front rack per the "usual method".
2. I recommend only cycling east in your neck of the woods. It's easier, the saddle doesn't budge, but then there's the call of shame at the end of the ride. I hear either Uber or Lyft will keep it "your little secret".

Good choice on the choice of Raleigh logos.
Thanks! And aren't you supposed to be on a beach somewhere drinking adult beverages?

On 1: I did run an external wire from the rear lamp's "hot" terminal to the wire you conveniently left sticking out at the BB, and it did work fine. So I'm assuming I don't need to use the ground for that lamp?

On 2: If I head a bit more than 5 miles east, I end up in Boston Harbor, and I don't think an Uber will fish me out of the drink at that point.
Old 12-23-16, 07:55 PM
nlerner

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
I'm a big fan of the American Classic seatpost, and if I'm reading your post correctly, the saddle clamp on the seatpost became loose?

If so, then perhaps it will help when I say that this isn't/wasn't an unusual thing. The little pointed set screw that sets the saddle tilt tends to create a little divot in the upper plate as the bike is ridden, which reduces the tightness with which the clamp grabs the saddle rails.

This is usually something that only has to be addressed once or twice, but I know of a handful of people who've sworn off (and sworn at) the American Classic post for this reason.

American Classic hasn't made this model of seatpost since around 2008 or so.... is yours NOS or previously used?

Anyway... don't give up on the seatpost, and congrats on getting the bike together and on the road!

Steve in Peoria
(with American Classic posts on three bikes)
Thanks, Steve. I'm also a fan of American Classic seat posts and have ones on a couple of other bikes. They're really lightweight and while I have had that clamp problem on a previous one, it does seem to hold eventually! I can always put some blue loctite in the threaded hole if I'm worried about it. It held fine for the remainder of my ride today.
Old 12-23-16, 08:25 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Thanks! And aren't you supposed to be on a beach somewhere drinking adult beverages?
Funny, @Andy_K just posted the same thing, except he was more specific - rum

Hey, a guy can only handle so much paradise. Just got back from snorkeling with my girls, and my lilly white PDX skin needs a break from all of this sun.

And to the point, Fire Rock Pale Ale.
Old 12-23-16, 09:23 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
My suggestion is to shorten the rear brake straddle wire, will improve power and will get the cable yoke out of the line of sight of the seat tube mounted tail lamp.
Old 12-23-16, 10:10 PM
nlerner

Originally Posted by repechage
My suggestion is to shorten the rear brake straddle wire, will improve power and will get the cable yoke out of the line of sight of the seat tube mounted tail lamp.
I thought about that, but actually find that the rear has more power than the front with its longer straddle cable. Still, I'd rather not block that lamp.
Old 12-23-16, 10:40 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
Beautiful job gugie and Neal. I think that color is popular now. Should be getting this frame/fork in a couple weeks. I do like the looks of that XCD crankset, but I need to see if they make a single with similar styling.

Old 12-23-16, 11:31 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

I did run an external wire from the rear lamp's "hot" terminal to the wire you conveniently left sticking out at the BB, and it did work fine. So I'm assuming I don't need to use the ground for that lamp?
Forgot to mention, if it ain't broke...
Old 12-24-16, 11:06 AM
Chris W.

Bikes: 76' Centrurion Pro-Tour, 86' Specialized Rock Hopper, 88' Centurion Iron Man, 89' Bruce Gordon "Hikari", 95' Rock Hopper Ultra.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Absolutely beautiful!!! IMHO that is one of the finest 650b conversions yet!!! Well done Neal and Mark

Cheers,
Chris
Old 12-24-16, 11:31 AM
hilltowner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
I've got the same year Internat'l hanging in the alcove in the connector between our house and barn. I picked it up used from the original owner in '77 when he needed cash to head out West. It was a replacement for my first Reynolds frame, a 72 Gitane TdF that had gotten stolen from the basement of the house I was in in Amherst. The Internat'l got sidelined after a succession of Itie frames came my way from my brother but I'd used it for everything from century rides, club rides, racing and touring.

The Itie frames got sidelined as well as my interest in racing waned and I spent more time touring and commuting on a repurposed Bridgestone MB-1. When a mysterious $2K showed up on a Mass. unclaimed money list attached to my name my wife said spend it on a new bike (I'd been lamenting the lack of a nice new ride). As I plumbed the depths of my consciousness for the perfect machine my mind drifted back to the Raleigh. I really like touring long distances but in the time between tours the thought of lightly loaded long rides was very appealing. What better way to do that then to get the Raleigh converted to a low-trail, 650b randonneur.

I discussed it with a friend who pointed out all of the obstacles. He was most familiar with Stephen Bilenky's conversion prices. Totaling up all of the things I thought needed to happen I realized the $2K would disappear pretty quickly. Soma was offering a discount mid-winter last year and I decided to go with a Grand Randonneur frame. It has since been built up with a VO crank and other new and old parts (the brake levers from the Internat'l among other things.) I really like the Soma and haven't regretted the decision to go with steel, randonneuring geometry for the new bike I wanted.

Seeing this conversion though has made me regret only one thing. If this had been a year earlier, these pictures would have convinced me to go with my first idea.

Last edited by hilltowner; 12-24-16 at 12:15 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.