Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Is this Selle San Marco saddle real?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-20, 01:38 PM
specialmonkey
Fillet-Brazed Member

Bikes:

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts

I'm hoping to get a Brooks Team Pro, but while I wait, I picked this up (it wasn't a great deal, so I was hoping it was a real Selle), but I'm not sure if it's real ... it says Ultra Soft Corsa on the back, and Ultra Soft Titanium Nitrogel on the sides, it has a sundial type date on the bottom (94), and has Selle San Marco Made in Italy markings also on the bottom.

I was unable to find any info online and wasn't sure if it's real or a knockoff. It's not hugely comfortable, and not terribly uncomfortable and should be ok until I can get a Brooks Team Pro (going on a road bike)

I was able to find a similar saddle top here:
https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?t=124177

but mine looks different on the back and bottom - this link mentions it being a Ventura made by Velo of Taiwan., and a Flite TI knockoff.

Thanks for any info!

Old 05-21-20, 01:53 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
There were a few variations on this saddle, and I sold a similar one on this forum a while ago.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...concor-ti.html

I don't see any indication that yours is a fake, and comfort is not necessarily an indicator. Mine was very uncomfortable for me, but I consider that my butt's fault, not the saddle's. Also, in the thread you linked to, the poster refers to a different saddle that is made in Taiwan; the poster does not indicate that the pictured saddle was made in Taiwan.
Old 05-21-20, 02:01 PM
specialmonkey
Fillet-Brazed Member

Bikes:

Originally Posted by noobinsf
There were a few variations on this saddle, and I sold a similar one on this forum a while ago.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...concor-ti.html

I don't see any indication that yours is a fake, and comfort is not necessarily an indicator. Mine was very uncomfortable for me, but I consider that my butt's fault, not the saddle's. Also, in the thread you linked to, the poster refers to a different saddle that is made in Taiwan; the poster does not indicate that the pictured saddle was made in Taiwan.
Thanks for the reading comprehension assist! And your old saddle does look to be a very similar profile.
Old 05-21-20, 02:45 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
I wouldn't imagine someone's gone through the trouble to counterfeit a saddle that's not a recognizable "classic."

I like my Selle San Marco saddles, but one I got on a bike, the other I bought for like $20. I'd have to sell a lot just to make back the investment.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 05-21-20, 04:12 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
That sure looks like a Concor Light Ti. One of my top favorites. I would say it’s in between a Concor Supercorsa and a Flite. If you look at those saddles side by side you’ll see what I mean.
I seem to recall that Armstrong fellow riding one, for what that’s worth.
Old 05-25-20, 08:06 AM
specialmonkey
Fillet-Brazed Member

Bikes:

Originally Posted by due ruote
That sure looks like a Concor Light Ti. One of my top favorites. I would say it’s in between a Concor Supercorsa and a Flite. If you look at those saddles side by side you’ll see what I mean.
I seem to recall that Armstrong fellow riding one, for what that’s worth.
due ruote Good to know! What would you pay typically for one in good shape?

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
I wouldn't imagine someone's gone through the trouble to counterfeit a saddle that's not a recognizable "classic."

I like my Selle San Marco saddles, but one I got on a bike, the other I bought for like $20. I'd have to sell a lot just to make back the investment.
The Golden Boy That makes sense. I could probably get used to it, what do you like about it compared to Brooks saddles? It is pretty light.
Old 05-25-20, 08:45 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by specialmonkey
The Golden Boy That makes sense. I could probably get used to it, what do you like about it compared to Brooks saddles? It is pretty light.
The ones I have are ENTIRELY different models from around 1985. I think it's a nice, supportive saddle that would be (IMO) on par for comfort with the Avocet Touring II. What makes the Avocet "better" than the San Marco Touring is that it has bag loops.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.