Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tubeless question: Does the sealant need a few min. to reseal?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-21, 08:05 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts

Had a flat this am - the dreaded "PFFFT PFFFT PFFFT" and the white mist. By the time I stopped, I'd guess the tire was down to 30 psi. It was still spraying a mist until I put the hole at the 6:00 position. It stopped almost immediately. I shook the wheel a bit, spun it a bit... it was sealed. Then, I hit it with a CO2 and "PFFFFT" it blew threw.

Does waiting 2 minutes make a difference? 5? 10?
Old 11-11-21, 08:59 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I haven't noticed extra time make a difference. To me, it sounds like the puncture size was at the edge of your sealant's capability, which has happened to me once or twice. With Orange Seal, that limit seems to be right around 1/4" or 5mm. I've had those seal up only to reopen, a week later or two months later, when I hit them just right with a bump or crack in the road.
Old 11-11-21, 11:12 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Rumor has it that CO2 might freeze the sealant and render its usefulness less than, er, useful. Also the pressure generated by the CO2, rather than a more benign hand pump may have blown the sealant out. I’m sure I will hear about my theories. Don’t use Stans, use Orange. Stans is find for mountain bikes at lower pressures.

When your sealant isnn’t working, you will need to insert a tire ‘bacon’ or similar, into the hole to seal it up. I have run 1500 miles on a tubeless with a bacon plug. Just look up tubeless tire plugs. If you use one of those then I would think CO2 would work fine.

Old 11-11-21, 11:26 AM
Zaskar

Thanks guys. rsbob I think I will switch to Orange - can't hurt to try it. I've used Stans forever in the mnt bikes, but only been tubeless on the road for 3+ yrs. I've used bacon/plugs with success... 'til this morning. I think the strip itself was off - it just didn't feel right, e,g., not sticky, gummy... new bacon on the way.
Old 11-11-21, 03:57 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
This summer I was out for a group ride and experienced a puncture. The sealant did the job and I was able to continue my ride with a quick top up from the small pump I'd brought with me.

After the ride we stopped at a local brew pub for post ride libations. The bikes were lined up on the bike racks, in the sun. Suddenly there was a loud "bang" from the bike area. I went and had a look. Sure enough, the sun beating down on my bike had caused the air in the tire to expand and the pressure blew the sealant out all over the place from where it had earlier in the day plugged the hole. Kinda looked like a big zit had been popped. As I was close enough to home, Mrs. NoWhammies went home and picked up the car to drive me back home.

Last edited by NoWhammies; 11-12-21 at 09:43 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-12-21, 03:23 AM
scottydonald

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
I had a rip(glasss) that didn't seal with Orange seal. It was not massive but a decent size, I ended up giving up and getting picked up at the time.

I took it to the shop and all the guy did; spin the wheel, keep his finger on the spot and slowly pump it up and its now held for 5 months.

Since then I have bought a plug kit and carry them with me but never used them yet(touch wood). I have had a few small, sealed very quickly punctures since then, couldn't be happier with orange seal.
Old 11-12-21, 07:25 AM
Zaskar

So maybe it's not time (waiting 2, 5, 10 min) but simply pressing a finger on the hole to give the sealant a chance to do its thing before the 90 psi pushes it out.
Old 11-12-21, 07:48 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Zaskar
So maybe it's not time (waiting 2, 5, 10 min) but simply pressing a finger on the hole to give the sealant a chance to do its thing before the 90 psi pushes it out.
Slowing the leak helps, but it's not a miracle worker. If you're running 90psi (or anything in the range of modern road pressure, honestly), you really want a sealant with particulates and, even then, you'll still run in to punctures that are just too large for sealant alone.
Old 11-12-21, 08:33 AM
scottydonald

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Slowing the leak helps, but it's not a miracle worker. If you're running 90psi (or anything in the range of modern road pressure, honestly), you really want a sealant with particulates and, even then, you'll still run in to punctures that are just too large for sealant alone.
I am 100kg and at 65 psi with 28 tyres.

Originally Posted by Zaskar
That's a high pressure for tubeless.

It worked for him, glad I have not had to try it since.
Old 11-12-21, 08:46 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by scottydonald
I am 100kg and at 65 psi with 28 tyres.
Okay.