Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Thank god we aren't the full lycra kit wearing fools.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Thank god we aren't the full lycra kit wearing fools.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-23, 04:35 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 901 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Can you please inform us what is funny about "eliminating all cyclists" (these are the authors words) when 100,000 of them are injured on the road every year?

Don't you think the author would act differently if one of his own family were one of the victims?

If it were your family, wouldn't you see a joke about "eliminating all cyclists" differently?

And if you could, please tell us how this is "off topic" on a cycling forum where 1,000 cyclists are killed on the road each year. Thank you, Stan!
I totally agree with you.

Let me know when I cyclist is killed by bags of granola and I'll do what what I can in my power to make sure the author knows that this is not funny.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Likes For Siu Blue Wind:
Old 11-13-23, 05:10 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,491 Times in 3,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Let me know when I cyclist is killed by bags of granola and I'll do what what I can in my power to make sure the author knows that this is not funny.
So the super funny cartoonist needs to be more literal for you to connect two dots between joking (wink, wink) about "eliminating all cyclists" to his millions of car driving readers and the thousand dead cyclists each year.

Thank you for the clarification.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 11-13-23, 07:23 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
SurferRosa, please leave this thread. You obviously don’t share the perspective of most members in this thread which is humorous and fun. You don’t like it so don’t contribute.
Old 11-13-23, 08:23 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Just realized there's a lot of money being left on the table here. All some enterprising artist has to do is turn Larry Sellers' adventures into a comic strip.
glad i had just finished the last of my tea or it would be on my monitor. you have to check out general cycling to get this

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 11-13-23, 08:42 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Originally Posted by smd4
Are there any comics today that elicit outright guffaws and belly laughs?
I think it really depends on your sense of humor and viewpoint and maybe whether you had coffee or not

and remembering no one is perfect (sitll miss Calvin)

I like Pearls Before Swine, despite picking on Jef. Bad puns and play on worrds can't resist. Author pics on himself more than anyone else Have to admit to laughing and groaning at some of the puns at the same time

Loose Parts if growing on me fast

Yehuda moon picked of the foibles of cycling https://www.instagram.com/yehudamoon/

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 11-13-23, 08:52 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
I think it really depends on your sense of humor and viewpoint and maybe whether you had coffee or not

and remembering no one is perfect (sitll miss Calvin)

I like Pearls Before Swine, despite picking on Jef. Bad puns and play on worrds can't resist. Author pics on himself more than anyone else Have to admit to laughing and groaning at some of the puns at the same time

Loose Parts if growing on me fast

Yehuda moon picked of the foibles of cycling https://www.instagram.com/yehudamoon/
I think the point is most comics aren’t laugh out loud funny. They’re an enjoyable diversion. Zits has been pretty spot-on when it comes to raising teenage boys. Pearls’ recent puns are approaching epic.

Calvin and Hobbes was almost fine art.

People expecting any kind of hilarity in comics, including Pearls, are either expecting too much, or can’t appreciate them for what they are.

Never saw yehuda moon. Very cool.

Last edited by smd4; 11-13-23 at 08:58 PM.
Likes For smd4:
Old 11-13-23, 09:17 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
This is not about having a sense of humor but rather appears to be more of a trolling effort from Classic & Vintage riders, disparaging those who don’t share the same enthusiasm for riding older bikes. The choice to post it in the C & V sub-forum suggests a deliberate attempt to belittle those with different preferences, rather than fostering a constructive discussion whether the Comic is appropriate or funny. This line from post #14 explains it all.

Yep, I get it but we ride C+V, they don't.”

What is with this bizarre we and them mindset in the C&V community. Most of us just like riding bikes and prefer that it happens safely.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 11-13-23, 09:22 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
This is not about having a sense of humor but rather appears to be more of a trolling effort from Classic & Vintage riders, disparaging those who don’t share the same enthusiasm for riding older bikes. The choice to post it in the C & V sub-forum suggests a deliberate attempt to belittle those with different preferences, rather than fostering a constructive discussion whether the Comic is appropriate or funny. This line from post #14 explains it all.

What is with this bizarre we and them mindset in the C&V community. Most of us just like riding bikes and prefer that it happens safely.
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a worse misconception (perhaps “mischaracterization” is more accurate) than this on any forum I’ve ever participated in. It doesn’t just border on the absurd; it crosses well into it.

EDIT: I must admit, I'm also a bit taken aback by the sense of insecurity exhibited here, a sort of, "You C&V guys are always picking on us" vibe. Not sure how a cartoon making fun of a generic cyclist (we don't know what Jef rides), elicited such a feeling, but it is strange, nonetheless.

Last edited by smd4; 11-14-23 at 08:15 AM.
Likes For smd4:
Old 11-14-23, 03:40 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked 2,958 Times in 1,681 Posts

I agree, and it is bizarre. The title of this thread ("Thank god we aren't the full lycra wearing fools") puts it out there for all to see.

I recommend spending time in the Clydesdale and Athena forum when the nastiness in C&V threatens to get out of hand, as in this thread. I once had an exchange with the late Tom Stormcrowe on the subject, asking why the posters in the Clydesdale and Athena forum are so genuinely welcoming and friendly compared to some of the other forums. He said big people grow up being treated like freaks every day of their lives and thus have a preference for avoiding confrontation and a tendency to be mutually supportive. Whatever the reason for the contrast, I enjoy reading posts there.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 11-14-23, 08:03 AM
AirborneFolder

Bikes: Cinelli, Moser, Davidson, Colnago

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
So the super funny cartoonist needs to be more literal for you to connect two dots between joking (wink, wink) about "eliminating all cyclists" to his millions of car driving readers and the thousand dead cyclists each year.

Thank you for the clarification.
LOL. You think that people read a comic strip and then go out and deliberately endanger cyclists - because a comic strip wink wink nudge nudged said it's ok.
Likes For AirborneFolder:
Old 11-14-23, 08:52 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20
Those guys are brutal ! !

If they started on lycra this place would be a blood bath
Old 11-14-23, 09:57 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Originally Posted by Trakhak
I agree, and it is bizarre. The title of this thread ("Thank god we aren't the full lycra wearing fools") puts it out there for all to see.

I recommend spending time in the Clydesdale and Athena forum when the nastiness in C&V threatens to get out of hand, as in this thread. I once had an exchange with the late Tom Stormcrowe on the subject, asking why the posters in the Clydesdale and Athena forum are so genuinely welcoming and friendly compared to some of the other forums. He said big people grow up being treated like freaks every day of their lives and thus have a preference for avoiding confrontation and a tendency to be mutually supportive. Whatever the reason for the contrast, I enjoy reading posts there.
In a previous comment within this thread, I expressed my concern about the overwhelming dominance of C&V (Classic & Vintage) enthusiasts across the entire Bike Forum. Despite playing a relatively minor role in the sport, it seems that more money is spent and more miles are ridden by rental bikes on a long weekend in San Francisco than by the entire C&V community in North America throughout the year.

No topic or subforum remains untouched; discussions are regularly derailed. For instance, if you post a question about the best cycling GPS in the Touring section, it inevitably devolves into someone insisting that paper maps are the best, recounting an experience from 1975 after graduating high school. This pattern repeats across various topics and subforums. Consider all the third-rail subjects we have endured as the sport has moved on: carbon anything, tubeless, electronic shifting, disc brakes, bike computers, wide tires, low spoke count wheels, lycra, gravel bikes, triple chainrings, clipless pedals and it goes on.

Moreover, any critique within the C&V subforum is met with swift responses claiming it as a "safe space" for enthusiasts, urging critics to either conform or leave. This thread was explicitly initiated with an "us vs them" narrative, attracting the usual participants (myself included).

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 11-14-23 at 10:06 AM.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 11-14-23, 10:55 AM
smd4

This thread was explicitly initiated with an "us vs them" narrative...
Of course it wasn't. It was initiated as a "let's poke a little fun at ourselves, and not take ourselves too seriously" thread. That didn't work out, because the various Jefs among us got butt-hurt about our portrayal in national media. That it devolved into some perverse murder-threatening, granola-hurling Nazi propaganda thread is beyond ridiculous.
Likes For smd4:
Old 11-14-23, 11:05 AM
Steel Charlie

Safe place ? ? Here ?

OK ---- conformity is mostly enforced but hijacking is really prevalent. You want real conformity? Over at the paceline if you don't speak the mods opinions you get banned.

And I'd best let it go at that. ​​​​
Old 11-14-23, 11:09 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Originally Posted by smd4
Of course it wasn't. It was initiated as a "let's poke a little fun at ourselves, and not take ourselves too seriously" thread. That didn't work out, because the various Jefs among us got butt-hurt about our portrayal in national media. That it devolved into some perverse murder-threatening, granola-hurling Nazi propaganda thread is beyond ridiculous.
Really? Who are these lycra-wearing fools the OP is referring to?

"Thank god we aren't the full lycra kit wearing fools."
Old 11-14-23, 11:11 AM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 1,822 Times in 663 Posts
^^^^^^ ME ^^^^^^^

I met the man at Powells. I thought his back story was interesting. This is all my fault.

Feel free to not buy me a beer at the next outing we all get together.

PS: I bought his book. Those crocs are idiots.

PPS: I did ask the administrators to remove this thread pages ago (like page 2).

PPPS: Has anybody seen my cape?
Old 11-14-23, 11:31 AM
Steel Charlie

Rob ---

I think you did just fine. The thread has been a revelation ! I award you the C&V Community Service Gold Star ! !

Likes For Steel Charlie:
Old 11-14-23, 01:40 PM
Trakhak

In a previous comment within this thread, I expressed my concern about the overwhelming dominance of C&V (Classic & Vintage) enthusiasts across the entire Bike Forum. Despite playing a relatively minor role in the sport, it seems that more money is spent and more miles are ridden by rental bikes on a long weekend in San Francisco than by the entire C&V community in North America throughout the year.

No topic or subforum remains untouched; discussions are regularly derailed. For instance, if you post a question about the best cycling GPS in the Touring section, it inevitably devolves into someone insisting that paper maps are the best, recounting an experience from 1975 after graduating high school. This pattern repeats across various topics and subforums. Consider all the third-rail subjects we have endured as the sport has moved on: carbon anything, tubeless, electronic shifting, disc brakes, bike computers, wide tires, low spoke count wheels, lycra, gravel bikes, triple chainrings, clipless pedals and it goes on.

Moreover, any critique within the C&V subforum is met with swift responses claiming it as a "safe space" for enthusiasts, urging critics to either conform or leave. This thread was explicitly initiated with an "us vs them" narrative, attracting the usual participants (myself included).
As I said upthread, I've ridden high-end C&V bikes since the mid-1960's. I bought all of them new, though. From the '60's to the '90's, I don't remember even a hint of the us-versus-them C&V mentality (as expressed so naively bluntly in this thread's title) until Grant Petersen bought his first load of the non-index rear derailleurs that were being dumped on the market (for a dollar each, I believe he boasted) and then had to figure out how to sell them.

So he decided to talk up the simplicity and reliability of friction shifting, as well as its character-building aspect, versus, in his words, "point-and-click" shifting. Then, having managed to move some product by way of his folksy rhetoric---the man undeniably has the gift-o'-the-gab---he bought up a bunch of other non-current stuff and ratcheted up the spieling.

To his credit, he mostly refrained from disparaging the riders who used the then-current state-of-the-art equipment, instead bemoaning the unfortunate, exclusively racing-oriented direction the manufacturers were pursuing. (Those same manufacturers were selling plenty of hybrid bikes by that time, which were essentially an updated version of the "sensible" bikes he said were gone from the market, but that didn't fit the narrative, so it was ignored.)

Grant, as I say, didn't say anything against the riders who liked their modern racing bikes, but the subtlety of the distinction between the bikes and the people who rode them was lost on the C&V guys he'd managed to rile up. Result: some C&V'ers came to see themselves as beleaguered survivalists, surrounded by mindless drones bent on destroying all they hold dear.

The irony, of course, is that most C&V riders wear plenty of Lycra, including, e.g., TOSRV and other event jerseys, and ride modern bikes in addition to their "forever" and "grail" bikes. And bless their hearts. I guess the us/them dichotomy might actually be re-enactors versus cosplayers.
Old 11-14-23, 01:50 PM
smd4

So you think he was referring to you? Or non-C&V riders in general? My wife, who really doesn't ride much, maybe, and when she does ride, it's a mountain bike? How about me? How many vague thread titles do you think are referencing you and "your people?" That paranoia can be treated, you know. How do you explain us C&V people who DO wear full lycra kit? And somehow aren't offended by this?

Last edited by smd4; 11-14-23 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-14-23, 03:21 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
I met the man at Powells. I thought his back story was interesting. ...
PS: I bought his book. Those crocs are idiots.
I haven't seen the crocs in a long time. Are they gone or just hatching a new plan to eat Zebra? They were a hoot.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 11-14-23, 03:34 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts

I'm a C&Ver and I wear lycra.

Was I offended by this thread? No.

Do I venture into other forums and derail threads? Also no.

Do I have an inkling of why there are more C&Vers than folks in most of the other forums? I didn't until this thread.

There's a P&R forum if you simply must be argumentative.
Old 11-14-23, 03:56 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,700 Times in 2,520 Posts
Stephan Pastis is missing a bet if he doesn't start selling Jef's "pyramid of humanity" chart on a jersey.

"It's okay, my people expect very little of you."
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 11-14-23, 05:12 PM
squirtdad

and just to note....for those of us who find wool is too itchy and riding in tweed daily is impractical here is a C&V guy in lycra (which I bet most C&V people do ride in)

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 11-14-23, 05:50 PM
Trakhak

Originally Posted by squirtdad
and just to note....for those of us who find wool is too itchy and riding in tweed daily is impractical here is a c&v guy in lycra (which i bet most c&v people do ride in)

out, demon, out!!!
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 11-14-23, 06:55 PM
cranky old road 
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 194 Posts
Eleven pages! OMG! Now THAT'S funny!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.