Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Elec bikes

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Elec bikes

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-24, 11:00 AM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 172 Posts
It is to laugh. A moped is whatever your local jurisdiction says is a moped. Here, they're regulated by state DMV, must be registered (meaning they have a VIN) and licensed, and display a license plate. The license is a one-time fee, i.e., no annual renewals. The rider must be at least 16, must wear a helmet and must possess an M1 or M2 license.

Gas mopeds must have pedals, e-mopeds can have them or not.

The end.

A Class 2 ebike, also per DMV, has a throttle and cannot exceed 20mph on the flats. It is most assuredly a "bicycle" and of course sports pedals so one can limp home after the battery croaks or, if a rideshare bike, dumped in the nearest gutter. <16 riders have a helmet requirement, true of any bicycle powered or not.

The end part deux.

One suspects the rules and guidelines vary in various places on the planet, as befits a forum with international participation. And there's where we can learn from one another.
Likes For Rick_D:
Old 02-15-24, 03:34 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020
My viewpoint isn't something you need to care about.
I've no need to disclose my opinion to you or anyone.
Like I said in my previous post: opinions are like a-holes,
everyone's got one and all of them stink.
Opinions are not valid when you can't provide sources to support your opinion.
You can say the sky is red and water is dry in your opinion all day long,
but that doesn't make a valid opinion.

Maybe if you provide a link in English so most of the readers can understand?
When was the term moped coined?
Did Harald Nielsen know about the distinction between ebike vs e-moped when he coined the term?

Discussion is about ebike vs e-moped, not moped in general.
Maybe if you understand the discussion instead of worrying about my opinion,
you could have better discussion related posts instead of your opinion?

You've stated:

Based on what?
Can you provide a source or evidence to support that opinion?
You are so full of B.S. it is reeking through my computer screen. Be honest or why bother?

The term moped was coined in 1952 which you could have easily searched and found with little to no effort. I know it is easier to just post Electrek links though the I have no opinions they all smell blah blah blah seems to take you a bit more time but that is your brand I guess. "I am a cold unfeeling robot with no feelings, emotions or opinions I am here only to serve the purpose of my creator, please insert new disc"

An e-bike is a bicycle with an electric assist, a moped is a vehicle that has pedals and a throttle. Not a hard concept for most.
Old 02-15-24, 03:57 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 172 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes

An e-bike is a bicycle with an electric assist, a moped is a vehicle that has pedals and a throttle. Not a hard concept for most.
Soccer versus football. Go!
Old 02-16-24, 07:29 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 453 Posts
You are so full of B.S. it is reeking through my computer screen. Be honest or why bother?
Why bother indeed, you're free to express your opinion,
but you can't expect others to have to agree with your opinion or respond to your demand for their opinion.

The term moped was coined in 1952 which you could have easily searched and found with little to no effort. I know it is easier to just post Electrek links though the I have no opinions they all smell blah blah blah seems to take you a bit more time but that is your brand I guess. "I am a cold unfeeling robot with no feelings, emotions or opinions I am here only to serve the purpose of my creator, please insert new disc"
Right, so easy to find that you can't even supply a link to support your own claim.
Clearly you're obsessed with refuting my posts like a troll.

You have to have a motor in order to have electric assist, whether throttle is at your wrist or at your cranks, they are both throttled.
Moped has engines, e-mopeds have motors, know the difference.
Ebike and e-mopeds both have throttles, just at different location on the bike.
Classification of ebikes are clearly stated in the links I provided, you can read them and troll elsewhere.
Old 02-16-24, 09:18 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020
Why bother indeed, you're free to express your opinion,
but you can't expect others to have to agree with your opinion or respond to your demand for their opinion.

Right, so easy to find that you can't even supply a link to support your own claim.
Clearly you're obsessed with refuting my posts like a troll.

You have to have a motor in order to have electric assist, whether throttle is at your wrist or at your cranks, they are both throttled.
Moped has engines, e-mopeds have motors, know the difference.
Ebike and e-mopeds both have throttles, just at different location on the bike.
Classification of ebikes are clearly stated in the links I provided, you can read them and troll elsewhere.
Because you are so inept here is a link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moped#...0and%20pedaler.

A pedal assist is a throttle? Hahaha. A good hot take at least it is a good opinion for once.

I love how you are calling me the troll it is hilarious but it is either another Electrek link or calling someone a troll because you refuse to discuss or talk about anything else except a denial you haven't said something that you said. You claim to have no opinions and no interest in sharing opinions on an online forum where we post opinions daily as part of being on this forum. If you are just a news aggregator then maybe ask people on your website to subscribe and you can send them a newsletter with all of your articles which are your opinions (or whomever you are working for or promoting heavily or whatever your situation is) I know you are going to deny something new (or really just something old) anyway and can already predict your response.

You don't need to hide either be yourself which hopefully isn't an emotionless drone who is just here to post articles and deny everything else. If you really don't enjoy it or are just a news aggregator then start a newsletter someone can sign up to and that way you can post all the B.S. you can fit onto the page and not have to deal with any discussion which hurts you in the end.
Old 02-16-24, 04:13 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
This thread started out with humor in the first post. Then it went downhill with arguing bordering on trolling. Enough. Thread closed..
Likes For StanSeven: