Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Rim brake pad lifespan in adverse conditions

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-24, 11:29 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts

I just got a new bike last week because I was tired of riding my carbon bike in the rain, rim brake steel commuter from a shop, new. Front brake pads wore down to the metal my today, rim is scratched from metal on metal, shop and I agree that it’s because it’s been raining all last week and the muck is like sandpaper.

question is, what’s the bang for your buck in cleaning your rims after a ride? I got this bike specifically to be a tank commuter and not have to fuss with it… but it would be worth if it makes that week turn into 2 months.
Old 02-21-24, 11:38 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
You really wore out brand new front rim brake pads within a week? Who produced those pads!?

Why not just ride your new CF bike with disc brakes, which definitely work better in the rain?
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 02-22-24, 12:07 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
what brakes, pads and rims? how many miles of commuting in that week, flat hilly. road, trail, gravel? (you can use local references if that helps)

pics?

this seems to be a lot of wear, even in rainy conditions

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 02-22-24, 12:16 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
You really wore out brand new front rim brake pads within a week? Who produced those pads!?

Why not just ride your new CF bike with disc brakes, which definitely work better in the rain?
because rain kills bikes…

I didn’t keep the old brake pads, but they were completely worn down, metal on metal. Btw while I’ve never came close to doing something like this, destroying brand new brake pads in a single epic hilly ride in horrible conditions is by no means unheard of
Old 02-22-24, 12:23 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,304 Times in 2,949 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Front brake pads wore down to the metal my today, rim is scratched from metal on metal, the guys at the shop dispensary and I agree that it’s because it’s been raining all last week and the muck is like sandpaper.
ftfy
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-22-24, 01:00 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by squirtdad
what brakes, pads and rims? how many miles of commuting in that week, flat hilly. road, trail, gravel? (you can use local references if that helps)

pics?

this seems to be a lot of wear, even in rainy conditions
like 100 miles max? Prob less. I live on the top of a crazy hill, so I brake a lot. There have been a few times on this bike where I leave my house and am immediately slamming both brakes and going side to side to shed speed
Old 02-22-24, 03:02 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
While I've never come close to that level of wear I, too, live in a pretty hilly area. That was the reason why I decided to go to disc brakes for my latest road bike. I presume you'll be buying your pads in bulk, then?
Old 02-22-24, 03:27 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
If you wear out a set of brakepads: automatic bad@$$.
I live down in San Diego County and have put tens of thousands of miles on Dura Ace brakepads (and on C23 & C50 rims) and bombing down Palomar Mountain's hairpins, drafting motorcycles (crotchrockets, not Harleys or Goldwings) without wearing them half-way out. (Though I do occasionally [annually, maybe] clean the rims with rubbing alcohol and scuff the brakepads lightly to enhance their feel.
Maybe I just coast too much? Maybe too much mechanical empathy?

Last edited by calamarichris; 02-22-24 at 03:30 AM.
Old 02-22-24, 10:06 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
That didn't happen. Even on the worst Clarks or XLC pads you wouldn't wear them down that fast unless maybe doing nothing but going down steep hills and riding the brakes hard on maybe a fully loaded cargo bike, then maybe but if you wore them out that fast which I don't believe you would have had to have them so poorly adjusted and some how damaged them significantly. Having seen a lot of 100 mile tune ups I don't think but once we have had to replace pads and the only reason we replaced the pads on that single bike was they had been contaminated but plenty of pad material left.

Having done a 160 mile 3 day ride on fresh pads part of it in some heavy heavy rain while riding the brakes because I couldn't see more than a foot in front of me, the pads still had plenty of life left on them.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-22-24, 10:18 AM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
I just got a new bike last week because I was tired of riding my carbon bike in the rain, rim brake steel commuter from a shop, new. Front brake pads wore down to the metal my today, rim is scratched from metal on metal, shop and I agree that it’s because it’s been raining all last week and the muck is like sandpaper.

question is, what’s the bang for your buck in cleaning your rims after a ride? I got this bike specifically to be a tank commuter and not have to fuss with it… but it would be worth if it makes that week turn into 2 months.
I know you said the bike is new from a shop, but your experience sounds suspiciously like a loose front wheel bearing.

I even had a car once that ate rear brake pads. Mechanics never looked beyond fixing the brakes, and the car continued to eat brakes until I replaced the bearing myself. Problem solved.
Likes For ScottCommutes:
Old 02-22-24, 10:29 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
I just got a new bike last week because I was tired of riding my carbon bike in the rain, rim brake steel commuter from a shop, new. Front brake pads wore down to the metal my today, rim is scratched from metal on metal,
I don’t believe you.
Old 02-22-24, 10:31 AM
MattoftheRocks

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 23 Posts
“New” like you bought it under 14 days ago?

or “new” like you bought it over six months ago and already have over 3k miles on it?

metal on metal is a good way to speed up wear.

I ride in rain or salty sandy slush for 5-7 months a year and stone dust for the remainder. The shortest I’ve had a rim last me is ~10k miles. Kool or Swiss pads are good on alloy rims. H+SON rims have the best braking I’ve used. I easily put 40k miles on my 80s Ukai Extra Hard rims ant only retired them when they got a good bend from a pothole. No name oem Surly front wheel only got ~17k before the brake track marker was gone.
Likes For MattoftheRocks:
Old 02-22-24, 10:57 AM
LarrySellerz

Bought last Wednesday, so 7 days. I have to ride the brakes hard every time I go down the hill and am 255 lbs
Old 02-22-24, 11:25 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Larry, are those pads the thin replaceable pads held in the aluminum shoes by a set screw? If yes, go out and by some Koolstop one piece pads (where what you buy is a single, throw away when done, pad and holder. They have much more material to wear through. Yes, replacing them is the old hassle of adjusting height and angles every time. You will probably have to tweak the height when the pad hits roughly mid-wear or the pad will start getting very close to the top of the rim and your tire sidewall on hard stops. (Touching the tire = ripped sidewall, no possible repair, a walk home and you coming back here to complain.)

You will have to open up the brake calipers to get the one-piece units in. Loosen the cable a little or maybe you can do it with the knurled adjust. (Good reason to use those crimp on cable ends so later adjustment of cable length is easy.)

My post rain ride routine - I spray the bike down lightly, both sides from front and back, with the near mist setting on the garden hose, then blast each brake pad along the line of the rim with the jet setting, making sure I do not hit any bearings or derailleurs, etc. Oh, and I use full fenders, always. (Yes I occasionally get caught out on my non-rain bikes but not often. Rain bikes get fenders, either always or are set up so I can put them on in minutes. This routine is a luxury I've had the past few decades. The second reason to buy or rent a house. (The first is to get the shop where you can mount a bench vise.)

If I had to go back to no hose for longer than Portland's short freezing season, I'd study up an the best way to slip the appropriate fabric, leather or plastic sheet between the pad and rim to brush the grit out of the pads. There's also the matter of acceptance. Accepting that this is what rim brakes do. Pads wear, rims wear. Both need to be watched. There are good combos and poor combos. Have the right tools for easy brake maintenance. Wheel building skills and access to exact replacement rims is a huge plus for those wheels.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 02-22-24, 11:30 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,572 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by koyote
i don’t believe you.
+1.
Old 02-22-24, 11:45 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8286 Post(s)
Liked 9,055 Times in 4,481 Posts
Larry is over 250 pounds. Commuter bike plus stuff might be another 35+ pounds. Descending steep hills in the rain at close to 280 or even higher is going to wear pads down if there is sand/grit involved. I give him the benefit of the doubt on this claim.

I used to trash rims and destroy canti pads when I lived in mountains and rode 1000s of feet descending on snowy trails. I've also worn much of the way through a set of vee brake pads on a single very wet mtb ride with 4000ish feet descending. My total weight was around 260 pounds.
Old 02-22-24, 01:47 PM
Chain smoker

Bikes: 07 Raleigh supercourse, 04 Specialized epic MB, Surly 1x1, Recycled Recumbents Mach 2, 63 jc Higgins racer single speed, early 60’s Armstrong roadster, KHS tandem electric conversion, GT mb electric city bike conversion.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Larry, don’t feel alone. I wore out a brand new set of low profile v-brake pad inserts on a rainy section of single track on the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route in 3 hours. Between the worn off pads and the aluminum rim wear the wheels looked like they were covered in wet gray cement. So not impossible.
Old 02-22-24, 02:12 PM
MattoftheRocks

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 23 Posts
7 days to take one actually brand new set of pads down to the metal is crazy. I guess there are some cheap oem pads that can wear quick, but this really seems like maybe you got sold a used bike that had perfect paint but had already been ridden for at least a year daily. Did you buy this bike in the US?

If you’re riding the brakes the whole way down instead of just coasting and only braking at tight turns or intersections, you definitely would kill disc pads real quick.

Good thing you’ve got a rim brake bike, you have room on the left chainstay for hooking up a drag drum brake from a tandem.

Bring the bike to the shop and show them the pads and have them check how much life is left on the rims. Coming from someone who had 2800’ of climbing/descent to do daily through college with a trailer loaded with 2 gallons of water, clothing, and the day’s textbooks & notebooks: Something is not right. You may have a warranty claim or a BBB claim
Old 02-22-24, 02:22 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Was the bike actually "new," or just new to Larry? I thought steel rim-bake bikes went the way of the dinosaur.

Last edited by smd4; 02-22-24 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-23-24, 12:57 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by big john
Larry is over 250 pounds. Commuter bike plus stuff might be another 35+ pounds. Descending steep hills in the rain at close to 280 or even higher is going to wear pads down if there is sand/grit involved. I give him the benefit of the doubt on this claim.

I used to trash rims and destroy canti pads when I lived in mountains and rode 1000s of feet descending on snowy trails. I've also worn much of the way through a set of vee brake pads on a single very wet mtb ride with 4000ish feet descending. My total weight was around 260 pounds.
This is pretty much what happened. If I didn't start using the back brake more than usual to compensate, I bet I would have reached metal to metal on the front brake in like 5 days instead of 7. Weighed myself today, 257 lbs
Old 02-28-24, 02:30 PM
ridingfool

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
This is pretty much what happened. If I didn't start using the back brake more than usual to compensate, I bet I would have reached metal to metal on the front brake in like 5 days instead of 7. Weighed myself today, 257 lbs
Stop with all the dam twinkees. It will help with braking in the future saving some weight.
Likes For ridingfool:
Old 02-28-24, 03:45 PM
indyfabz

This bike plus my 220 pound body gets a brake change once a year after usually 1,300 or more touring miles, often in hilly and/or mountainous terrain, plus lots of commuting miles where I’m often at least slowing down as often as 250’.

As stated above…I don’t believe you.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-28-24, 05:19 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
This bike plus my 220 pound body gets a brake change once a year after usually 1,300 or more touring miles, often in hilly and/or mountainous terrain, plus lots of commuting miles where I’m often at least slowing down as often as 250’.

As stated above…I don’t believe you.

You must be using thin-line brake pads if they have to be replaced annually.
Old 02-28-24, 06:28 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by pdlamb
You must be using thin-line brake pads if they have to be replaced annually.
Kool Stop Salmon. I replace them yearly because I usually go on tour out west in mid-June and don’t want to start out with worn brakes from the year before, especially if I’ll be doing unpaved miles and bike shops are basically not available. And again, true urban commuting takes its toll. Lots of stop signs and lights.

The point is that they don’t wear out in anywhere close to a week, or whatever the OP is claiming, even with all that weight.
Old 02-28-24, 07:12 PM
LarrySellerz

Well they did wear out, and no I didn’t take pics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.