Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need help choosing seat post/ seat combo

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-16, 06:50 PM
Narb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I am 5'10" 190 lbs, i got a bike to lose some weight. I went to Target and got the comfortable cruiser type seat from shwinn. I have a cannondale quick 4, when i put the seat all the way back i can still feel my thighs hitting the seat because the seats so wide. Should I just get a narrower seat and add a seat post suspension? What is everyones favirote seat and seat post combination? I dont want to spend alot of a seat post suspension btw.
Old 05-09-16, 07:55 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Narb
So I am 5'10" 190 lbs, i got a bike to lose some weight. I went to Target and got the comfortable cruiser type seat from shwinn. I have a cannondale quick 4, when i put the seat all the way back i can still feel my thighs hitting the seat because the seats so wide. Should I just get a narrower seat and add a seat post suspension? What is everyones favirote seat and seat post combination? I dont want to spend alot of a seat post suspension btw.
It's something you decide over years of trial and error. Don't be in a hurry, get some riding chops before you spend real money. Eventually, you may end up on a leather Brooks, but why spend $160+ if you're not sure. If you can't tolerate the saddle, get something cheap or used until you know what you want. Or...you can take the trip to bizarro land, like my SMP and Thudbuster below....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
BF-Bc1.jpg (94.4 KB, 18 views)
Old 05-09-16, 08:16 PM
jforman

Bikes: 1988 Schwinn Prologue Frankin-Bike

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You might just want a thinner seat (at least in the front, looking from the top of the seat.) I have a SMP seat and found that it was quite ok. As FrenchFit mentioned you might have to kiss a lot of frogs before you get a prince. Please don't cosider any suspension seatposts until you decide on the seat that you feel you will enjoy.
Old 05-09-16, 08:27 PM
Jaywalk3r

Bikes: I own N+1 bikes, where N=0.

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First, it's not a seat, it's a saddle. The difference is not just semantic. Seats support your weight. Saddles support only part of your weight, with a significant portion still supported by your feet.

Bike saddles tend to be uncomfortable for one or both of two reasons: Incorrect width and too much padding.

When riding a bike, there are six points of contact with the bike, right hand, left hand, right foot, left foot, right sit bone, and left sit bone. Correct saddle width will allow each of the sit bones to contact the saddle at points where the saddle designers intended.

If there's too much padding, when bearing much of your weight, the padding will get squished and displaced, putting pressure on parts of your body where such pressure is undesirable, causing discomfort.

Many people, myself included, find tensioned leather saddles to be the most comfortable. They have no padding, and work on a principle similar to a hammock (once broken in).

For more information
Old 05-09-16, 08:30 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaywalk3r
First, it's not a seat, it's a saddle.
Then why does to attach to a seat post and a seat tube?

I bet this qualifies as a seat.
Old 05-09-16, 11:00 PM
Narb

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the advice.. I ended up ordering this seat, I mean saddle: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000C...SV9MN3LHS&th=1
Old 05-09-16, 11:47 PM
Jaywalk3r

Bikes: I own N+1 bikes, where N=0.

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2

Perhaps the same reason some cyclists clip into their clipless pedals?
Old 05-10-16, 07:01 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Narb
Thanks for all the advice.. I ended up ordering this seat, I mean saddle: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000C...SV9MN3LHS&th=1
Saddles are personal. Butts come in all shapes and sizes and what works for one, won't necessarily work for another. Beyond that, you also have the issue of chafing from cotton shorts and underwear. Avoid cotton when riding and stick with either bike shorts or compression shorts made out of technical fabric.

I have enjoyed success with two saddles over the years. The first was a saddle with springs in the back that I used for over 10 years. That saddle broke a few years ago, but it is OK because I had broken in a Brooks B17 standard, which is now my go to saddle.

My wife uses a Serfas similar to that Planet Bike saddle and finds it comfortable, though when I used it, I found it just OK, not great. the Litmus test of saddle comfort is the degree to which the saddle makes it presence known, which is not a good thing. Too wide and you chafe your thighs. Too soft and you get saddle sores. Too narrow and you feel like the saddle is giving you a wedgie when you ride.

I am not much for split saddles. Other then liking Brooks, my preference is for saddles that are a little wider then narrow road saddles, but not as wide as a cruiser saddle. Minimal padding, and a flat, or flattish shape with a narrow nose. That is my preference. Yours might be different.

One more thing. Forget about seatpost suspension.
Old 05-10-16, 07:21 AM
dcwldct

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2

I bet this qualifies as a seat.

The very sight of that makes my butt hurt.
Old 05-10-16, 07:22 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by dcwldct
The very sight of that makes my butt hurt.
I bet it weighs more than my bike.