Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What Tires should I put on my 1988 Schwinn Circuit?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-23, 08:01 PM
SortaCycling
1988 Schwinn Circuit

Bikes: 1988 Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hey all! Just recently pick up a great condition, almost all original(the saddle isn’t open), Schwinn Circuit but the hubs are in really rough shape so I was wondering on what would be a sufficient replacement for them? Cheers!

Last edited by SortaCycling; 05-14-23 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-14-23, 09:12 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 1,336 Times in 495 Posts
Your post is confusing. The title asks about tires but the text asks about hubs. Which is it and what is the problem that you are encountering?
Old 05-14-23, 09:33 PM
SortaCycling
1988 Schwinn Circuit

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
Your post is confusing. The title asks about tires but the text asks about hubs. Which is it and what is the problem that you are encountering?
oh, I see. I apologize about that it’s the tires that I’m looking to replace. The fiber on the wall of the tire is showing and starting to fray outwards and it’s deteriorated to the point where all I can see is the made in Japan markings.
Old 05-14-23, 09:50 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 453 Posts
Tires vary hugely in price from $5 to $100.

Tires for that bike might be Panaracer Paselas, Continental GP5000 or,... or any other number of tires. How and where do you plan to use the bike?

I ride on Challenge Strada Biancas and Paris-Roubaix - as close to tubular tires as possible without going tubular.
Old 05-14-23, 10:02 PM
SortaCycling
1988 Schwinn Circuit

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
Tires vary hugely in price from $5 to $100.

Tires for that bike might be Panaracer Paselas, Continental GP5000 or,... or any other number of tires. How and where do you plan to use the bike?

I ride on Challenge Strada Biancas and Paris-Roubaix - as close to tubular tires as possible without going tubular.

Planning to ride on concrete trails and just around town, maybe the roads in my neighborhood. I’m fairly new to road bikes but I saw this Circuit listed for $75 with original group set components and couldn’t pass up that deal. So the bike itself might be out of my league but I hope to work up to being able to handle it with ease.
Likes For SortaCycling:
Old 05-14-23, 10:27 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 3931 Post(s)
Liked 6,583 Times in 3,263 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
Panaracer Paselas.
These are a great value, and I'd never suggest buying something cheaper unless I wanted you to suffer.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 05-14-23, 10:57 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked 1,071 Times in 557 Posts
Mostly original components for that price!? Nice score. There are a number of Circuit enthusiasts here so welcome to the tribe.

You’ll hear a lot of the same endorsements here. As mentioned earlier, Paselas or Conti GPs are highly regarded and aren’t too expensive. Bike Tires Direct is a great vendor and often has them on sale.

Enjoy the ride!
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 05-14-23, 11:06 PM
SortaCycling
1988 Schwinn Circuit

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyJames
Mostly original components for that price!? Nice score.

Enjoy the ride!
I couldn’t believe it either. I thought for sure there would be some major damage when I saw it in person, but it seems to be in great shape.

Thanks for the recommendation I will look online to order them. Is that a tire that local shops or Bikemarts would carry? I’m itching to get it road ready asap
Old 05-14-23, 11:12 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked 1,071 Times in 557 Posts
Originally Posted by SortaCycling
I couldn’t believe it either. I thought for sure there would be some major damage when I saw it in person, but it seems to be in great shape.

Thanks for the recommendation I will look online to order them. Is that a tire that local shops or Bikemarts would carry? I’m itching to get it road ready asap
Both of those tires are widely available so sourcing them shouldn’t be a problem. If you tell us where you are some folks could steer you to a good local shop.

FWIW - I have occasionally found Contis on Amazon for good prices.
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 05-14-23, 11:28 PM
SortaCycling
1988 Schwinn Circuit

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyJames
Both of those tires are widely available so sourcing them shouldn’t be a problem. If you tell us where you are some folks could steer you to a good local shop.

FWIW - I have occasionally found Contis on Amazon for good prices.
I would love some shop recs. I’m in north Dallas/Plano Tx area.
Old 05-15-23, 01:08 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Quoted: 1558 Post(s)
Liked 2,035 Times in 991 Posts
I like Vittoria Corsa G2.0 tan walls. Normally spendy, but Bike Closet has them for $39.99 in 25mm or 28mm. I have two pair of 32mm and they run small (as in, 28mm wide for the 32). Looking at brake clearances for your Circuit, I'd get the 28mm for a little extra cushion but no size/fitment penalties. It's no crazy endurance anti-puncture tire, but it's not supposed to be. It's a performance road tire for a performance road bike, and given your intended riding, as long as you avoid patches of thumb tacks and BMX jumping the thing, it will ride great and roll quickly.

If you're looking for black wall, Continental GP4000/4000S II or GP5000s are great. Their 28s also run a little small, so I wouldn't worry about rubbing there either. Don't get hung up on the tire price costing more than the bike purchase. That's an fantastic deal for a bike of that caliber, and it's worth it (assuming decent condition). Tires are the only thing between the bike and the road, so having decent ones is money well spent.
Old 05-15-23, 08:02 PM
SortaCycling
1988 Schwinn Circuit

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
I like Vittoria Corsa G2.0 tan walls. Normally spendy, but Bike Closet has them for $39.99 in 25mm or 28mm. I have two pair of 32mm and they run small (as in, 28mm wide for the 32). Looking at brake clearances for your Circuit, I'd get the 28mm for a little extra cushion but no size/fitment penalties. It's no crazy endurance anti-puncture tire, but it's not supposed to be. It's a performance road tire for a performance road bike, and given your intended riding, as long as you avoid patches of thumb tacks and BMX jumping the thing, it will ride great and roll quickly.

If you're looking for black wall, Continental GP4000/4000S II or GP5000s are great. Their 28s also run a little small, so I wouldn't worry about rubbing there either. Don't get hung up on the tire price costing more than the bike purchase. That's an fantastic deal for a bike of that caliber, and it's worth it (assuming decent condition). Tires are the only thing between the bike and the road, so having decent ones is money well spent.
thank you for the recommendations! I got some contis today because that’s what my local shop had. I would like to get some tan walls again in the future
Likes For SortaCycling:
Old 05-15-23, 08:59 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Quoted: 1550 Post(s)
Liked 1,565 Times in 936 Posts
@SortaCycling, welcome! Please look around and admire others' bikes, ask questions. When you hit 10 posts, please show us pics of your new steed. We love pics.
Old 05-16-23, 07:51 AM
SortaCycling
1988 Schwinn Circuit

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
@SortaCycling, welcome! Please look around and admire others' bikes, ask questions. When you hit 10 posts, please show us pics of your new steed. We love pics.
okay I will! I didn’t realize these comments counted towards the posts needed, I thought it was referring to the parent comment above.