Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

We're going to yell at you.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

We're going to yell at you.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-14, 04:54 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by achoo
Australia? Shouldn't that be "1 m clearance"? Or thereabout?

Is using the wrong units a yelling offense?
Yes.
Old 07-06-14, 04:40 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
I cannot believe that this thread hasn't been "bumped" in months. It needs to be bumped at as least a monthly basis. There is so much important info that needs to be given between the racers and the non-racer roadies that is encapsulated here.
Old 07-06-14, 04:52 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mollusk
I cannot believe that this thread hasn't been "bumped" in months. It needs to be bumped at as least a monthly basis. There is so much important info that needs to be given between the racers and the non-racer roadies that is encapsulated here.
Yeah but wading through 86 pages to find it is a bit much.
Old 07-06-14, 06:26 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 614 Posts
Originally Posted by mollusk
Does it cover waving etiquette and when to yell "slowing" ??

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 07-06-14, 07:47 PM
fstshrk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Maybe Cavendish should read this thread.
Old 07-07-14, 12:48 AM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
he'll have plenty of time on his hands to do so...
Old 07-07-14, 01:16 AM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yelled at one dump truck driver on Saturday and two door opening car drivers. But, not at any other cyclists. Ahhh, the joys of heading off for the hills in the country with only 5 mates instead of joining the 20+ group going through the city.
Old 07-08-14, 11:45 AM
dking

Bikes: Caad 10 *Gulf Racing

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

'Sorry ..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Kermit.jpg (76.8 KB, 29 views)
Old 07-08-14, 12:01 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I racked my brain trying to remember something to yell last Wednesday. I was waiting in line at a light to make a left onto the main road and a whole group pulled up on my right to go straight. Deep section wheels, every one of them and carbon everything. Cool bikes, everyone acting serious, the important ones looking back for the regroup purposes I guess. So when the light changed I tore off like a scalded cat, yelling "Break! Break!" But no one chased maybe I should have gone straight ... but they'd have yelled at me had I done that ...
Old 07-09-14, 03:10 PM
dking

Bikes: Caad 10 *Gulf Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
i racked my brain trying to remember something to yell last wednesday. I was waiting in line at a light to make a left onto the main road and a whole group pulled up on my right to go straight. Deep section wheels, every one of them and carbon everything. Cool bikes, everyone acting serious, the important ones looking back for the regroup purposes i guess. So when the light changed i tore off like a scalded cat, yelling "break! Break!" but no one chased maybe i should have gone straight ... But they'd have yelled at me had i done that ...
YOU SHOULD HAVE SAID "ON YOUR LEFT" !!
Old 08-15-14, 10:50 PM
Minnesota Expat
Yeah, you betcha!

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale EVO 5, 2006 Trek 1000, and early 70's Manufrance Hirondelle

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Bumpers. Just cause.
Old 08-15-14, 11:58 PM
EnellCH

Bikes: Cervelo S3, Pinarello Dogma F8, Santa Cruz Bronson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds great. But who really cares?
Old 08-16-14, 04:42 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by EventServices
Please do not call us elitist. And don't ask us to 'dumb down' our training ride.
No worries. I don't care what you do.
Old 08-16-14, 06:02 PM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What's going on here?
Old 08-16-14, 06:44 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by alexaschwanden
What's going on here?
Not a lot. Just a bit of education.

Nothing to see here, now, move along:-)
Old 08-17-14, 04:30 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
In spin class I yell at others all the time. Usually it's "On your left!"
Old 08-17-14, 08:08 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 614 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
In spin class I yell at others all the time. Usually it's "On your left!"
You're doing it wrong. You should get the spin bike on the front row, dial it up to 400 w, then drope the hamer on them all.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 08-17-14, 08:59 AM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
If I interpreted this correctly, this is happening on my public streets? Assuming so I have the right to ride anywhere, anytime, on my public streets as long as I'm following traffic laws? Yell at me all you want it's your throat getting abused. Grabbing me by the jersey (well, shirt) to remove me from the line would be assault. In fact I would argue in the context of traffic your tail gating. A behavior that is dangerous to yourselves and anyone around, the same as with any other vehicle. Do you avoid passing me out alone so that I don't become part of your line? If your training is so serious maybe you could buck up for a private training facility or at least lobby for a public training facility like hockey players, soccer players, golfers, baseball players, drag racers etc. etc. I haven't played ball in the street since I was a child. Maybe you should have a parade permit. If you ride in public, you must deal with the public.... legally and preferably gracefully.
Old 08-17-14, 09:29 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
You're doing it wrong. You should get the spin bike on the front row, dial it up to 400 w, then drope the hamer on them all.
"...drope the hamer"

Originally Posted by gear64
If I interpreted this correctly, this is happening on my public streets? Assuming so I have the right to ride anywhere, anytime, on my public streets as long as I'm following traffic laws? Yell at me all you want it's your throat getting abused. Grabbing me by the jersey (well, shirt) to remove me from the line would be assault. In fact I would argue in the context of traffic your tail gating. A behavior that is dangerous to yourselves and anyone around, the same as with any other vehicle. Do you avoid passing me out alone so that I don't become part of your line? If your training is so serious maybe you could buck up for a private training facility or at least lobby for a public training facility like hockey players, soccer players, golfers, baseball players, drag racers etc. etc. I haven't played ball in the street since I was a child. Maybe you should have a parade permit. If you ride in public, you must deal with the public.... legally and preferably gracefully.
Seemed to me that this all started because someone described a particular training ride, and how they did not suffer incompetent interlopers gladly. It didn't seem to be about how they dealt with other riders around - "the public," as gear64 put it - who go about their own business. 25-30mph is a very fast pace for cyclists, but it's well within the limits of permissible behavior on most public roads, so it's not as if such rides are beyond anyone's rights. And if anyone in the situation described originally was ungraceful, it was the squirrel who got in and out of the middle of the paceline.

If you want to learn how to ride in a fast paceline, then get some coaching, take a class or sign up for an introductory group ride of the appropriate speed - don't just latch onto the first bunch of fast guys you happen to encounter. But if you do want to learn "the hard way," then you should expect to be chastised, harshly, for doing things wrong.

Last edited by kbarch; 08-17-14 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-17-14, 08:55 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
But if you do want to learn "the hard way," then you should expect to be chastised, harshly, for doing things wrong.
Are you threatening gear64 with a severe tongue lashing?

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 08-18-14, 04:45 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nachoman
Are you threatening gear64 with a severe tongue lashing?
I don't think so. Just pointing out another interpretation. gear64 seemed to have interpreted "We're going to yell at you" as if it were directed at ALL other riders, including those who mind their own rides (as gear64 presumably does), while I believe it was directed only at interlopers - riders who purposefully interfere or put themselves in a paceline uninvited and unprepared.
Old 08-18-14, 07:20 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
What if the bike up front is a crabon spin bike and it assplodes?
Old 08-18-14, 12:24 PM
Minnesota Expat
Yeah, you betcha!

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale EVO 5, 2006 Trek 1000, and early 70's Manufrance Hirondelle

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by EnellCH
Sounds great. But who really cares?
Because there are still fish in the ocean, waiting to be caught.
Old 08-18-14, 12:26 PM
Minnesota Expat
Yeah, you betcha!

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gear64

With all due respect to Botto.
Attached Images
images.jpg (2.4 KB, 24 views)
images1.jpg (7.1 KB, 20 views)
images2.jpg (1.5 KB, 20 views)
Old 08-18-14, 12:46 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
... "We're going to yell at you" ... only at interlopers - riders who purposefully interfere or put themselves in a paceline uninvited and unprepared.
I thought it was anyone involved in the pace line or the A-group. Can we have some of the group yelling aficionados weigh in on this please?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.