Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Sleeping Pad / air matress Options

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-16, 09:52 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

I have spent the night with friends at various events recently, and have found that the sofa beds that I am usually assigned to are only marginally better than the bare floor, due to the fact I have yet to sleep on one where I didn't have to deal with sagging between the support bars . So, I started thinking...

I would like to have something in those cases, and also in case I spend the night somewhere on a bike ride. I am not too concerned with it being too large, as I would use bungie cords to strap it to the top of my trunk bag.

I see that self-inflating foam pads exist, and they are drawing my attention... but I am mostly concerned about durability and supporting my weight. I have not seen any weight limits listed, but I suspect that most manufacturers assume that anyone my size never does anything but sit on the couch and eat (which I admit I do too much).

For a person 6' tall, and over 300 pounds, what sort of sleeping pad/air mattress would be reasonably comfortable, not too difficult to pack, and very durable?

In case I finally follow through and lose some weight this year, what are the best options at 250 pounds, or 200?

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 03-24-16, 11:28 AM
chowtownsfinest

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do a lot of backpacking and travelling around for work. The most comfortable easy to pack pad I can think of is the Double-Z from Big Agnes. It comes in 72" and 78" lengths, and even comes in a double size 50" wide (instead of the standard 25"). And at 4" thick it is plenty comfortable.
Old 03-24-16, 11:50 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked 928 Times in 281 Posts
I use this pad when camping in the mts or desert, but never tried to mount it to my bike

https://www.rei.com/product/810386/t...e-sleeping-pad

I never tried the air pads and how well they work.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 03-24-16, 03:00 PM
DarthMonkey

Bikes: 1990 Cannondale ST Custom Road Bike, 1999 Trek 830 AL Mountain bike, and a 2015 Soma Double Cross Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For camping I have both Alps and thermarest, and both are pretty good. I would make sure to get a "comfort" model as opposed to lightweight or travel models. They are generally bigger in width and\or length, as well thicker. Furthermore the bigger comfort models (tall, XL, or XXL) are thicker still. If you lose weight the thick pads are just more comfortable, only down side is possible hauling more size/weight than necessary, which might be an issue if hauling long distances on a bike. I find 1.5 " foam is the absolute minimum for me on hard ground, but even thicker (like 3") is sooooo much nicer. I have used a .75" thick unit when i was younger, but the last time I had to put a blanket under it get it soft enough to sleep on.

Which one works best will be a personal decision, obviously, but as a starting point I would suggest the ALPS comfort in XL:

Comfort Air Pad **/** ALPS Mountaineering

showing as $82.50 right now on amazon

Amazon.com : ALPS Mountaineering Comfort Series Air Pad : Camping Sleeping Pads : Sports & Outdoors
Old 03-24-16, 05:17 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 863 Posts
Air mattresses will loose heat as the air in it moves around, But fill the tubes with Insulation and then it will retain your body Heat.

Self inflating air mattresses have open cell insulating Foam in them .

Camp rest by thermarest is their . tall wide thick Model.
Old 03-24-16, 10:34 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
If you've got the room, then the thicker 8-10cm self inflating models are possibly the best. Nice and thick for comfort, but they don't pack down to very small. I use a thermarest 5cm self inflating for camping kayak trips where space is at a premium and it's small enough to fit through my kayak hatch to stow inside. I'm anywhere from 125kg and down for weight and I get a decent night's sleep on it
Old 03-24-16, 11:03 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Are you packing it on your bike or packing it in your car?

If car, get a cot. I gave up on air mattresses. Too leaky and damn heavy.