Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Eroica California 2023 - Sept. 17, 2023 in Cambria, CA

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Eroica California 2023 - Sept. 17, 2023 in Cambria, CA

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-23, 05:24 PM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I also have a prepaid registration, it’s for the medium ride but I don’t think they will be checking carefully which ride you go on

if anyone knows the process for transferring, I would be willing to do so. Any part of the race or registration stuff you don’t want, I would like that after the ride. You’d be welcome to keep what you like as a momento of your ride, especially if you complete the medium ride, a real accomplishment.

contact me at 909 two three eight 85 zero 4
Old 09-15-23, 12:14 PM
mech986 

Originally Posted by bibliobob
I'll send you a text. Someone transferred their registration to be but I'm not not able to attend. Cheers, Bob
what was the process for transferring registrations? Hopefully if anyone needs mine, I can still do it.
Old 09-15-23, 02:00 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,014 Times in 1,112 Posts
See post 281. I did it.
Old 09-16-23, 12:37 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,872 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Looks like everything is on the table, guess we'll see and also says they will be holding feet to the fire on attire.

https://mailchi.mp/eroica.cc/ready-to-go?e=640f492054
I think that's their standard verbiage on clothing. I haven't seen it actually enforced, but I think people who dress the part get more out of the experience than people who don't.
Old 09-17-23, 05:36 PM
mech986 

From Robert Volz who is attending and used my registration:

Friday taking a leisurely stop in Santa Cruz on his Birthday:

Saturday in Cambria:
Me: Hey Robert, did you make it to Cambria, did the reg transfer work out, and what’s it like today at the festival?

Robert: A few shops, a few sponsors, I see lots of friends, which is nice. They didn't even ask to see the (transfer) letter. They simply said what is the name and handed me the packet.

Me: Well, that's the famous Italian Eroica security and privacy in action!

Me: Nice to see a decent vendor and swap turnout. I understand the weather is cooler than usual (mid 60’s) in Cambria. Wind can pick up in the late afternoon.

One of my friends Matt Gorski is usually there for the swap but was unable to travel this year due to scheduling.

Have you seen a lot of riders or did you ask the registration people how many they have signed up or expect to come?

Were you able to see any of the Nova Eroica riders finishing their ride today?

Robert: Sorry, there’s zero Internet or phone coverage in Cambria. I’m sure a lot of the people are on rides today so the swap area wasn’t very crowded. Some of the regulars were there, Andy from Olympia, Van from Portland,

Me: Understood, it is a problem in certain parts of the town. Where I stayed the last few years just east of Moonstone beach there was Zero cell signal so had to use the house wifi for calls. Is that Andy Kaylor (AndyK)?

Robert: Yes.

Sunday, Short ride

Looks like everyone there is having a great time. Wish I was there but the pics help.

Link to Robert’s Eroica California 2023 pics thread:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...oica-pics.html
Old 09-18-23, 09:34 AM
Kabuki12

Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,296 Times in 1,283 Posts
I wonder if the light house was accessible. There was some confusion over whether it would be "open" to the event. If not , where was the support and turn around? I sure wish I could've been there. To me , it looks like attendance was down this year.
Old 09-18-23, 01:57 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
Saturday L'Eroica Dinner at Linn's . As usual Aaron Linn was quite the Host and the wine was flowing , maybe a little too much flow as i felt it on Sundays Santa Lucia route. A great time was had by all in Attendance. I was fortunate to meet BradL and his lovely Wife. My new buddy Frank was also on hand for the Dinner and Saturday's Cayucos ride and also the 73 Mile Santa Lucia route. BIG thanks to Him and Bill for keeping me company and helping me out as I was clearly cooked.

Last edited by Manny66; 09-18-23 at 02:00 PM.
Likes For Manny66:
Old 09-18-23, 02:59 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

The start of Sundays Santa Lucia Route , Lots of happiness at the Start and the Finish,, but not so much during ,, Brutal Climbs , Scary descents and rough Terrain. But it's L'Eroica and its supposed to be tough that's what makes it Heroic.

The START !

The top of the first climb .

When You're climbing so slow and you reach down to unstrap ,,and fall over! I got a little rash , But hey , the bike didnt get a scratch !

When you're going 4.6 MPH on loose gravel , well it didnt go too well for me.

The Top !

Just under 7 hours with a few rest stops. Ill take it .

Last edited by Manny66; 09-18-23 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-18-23, 06:06 PM
tmnguuyen 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 171 Posts
Eroica CA 2023 - Parting thoughts

I did the Heroic route on Saturday and the baby route on Sunday with my wife on the Tandem. The weather was a blessing. People were pleasant and friendly. Bikes were cool. Medals have correct year on them this time. Participation is somewhat low particularly on the long route. Nice to see some of the people I met last year again (@Vitma, @Brad_L, @Thalia949, @merziac) and some new ones this year. I think, there is less than 20 on the Nova and even less on the 'beauty of fatigue' long route on Sunday. The amenities were basic but adequate. No Halter Ranch stop, Olea farm was more of a delay than a refueling stop. I could do without. Lunch box at midpoint for the long route riders in Templeton. The wind was blowing like mad and the cloud was pulling in when we got to the top of the Cypress mountain.
One young lady kicked our butts on the first Santa Rosa Creek climb. Her name is Katrina, and she rode like a hurricane. She may be the only female on the Nova long route.
Another female rider completed the Heroic route on Sunday.

Access to the lighthouse is not allowed and it is unfortunate, but it guess we must protect our environment. The organization should think about how to open it up again since it is the main highlight of the CA event.

A huge thank you to all the volunteers.

Photos of the two ladies that completed the long route. Katrina is between me and my wife in the photo.

Last 2 riders (Thanh and Mike) to the top of Cypress. It was windy and cold. 4 others were SAGed back because they didn't make the cut off time.

Our group before we part ways at long/short split.

Me and Mike, last two old moss to finish Nova

Scenaries:

Some of these photos qualify for the empty roads thread.

Last edited by tmnguuyen; 09-19-23 at 02:46 PM.
Old 09-18-23, 06:07 PM
fvernon

Bikes: BMC Road V2; '17 Marin Pine Mountain 2; '91 Marinoni Special TSX; '89 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp; '98 Salsa La Cruz; '79 Centurion Pro Tour; '77 Romic custom sport-tour; '77 Centurion Semi-Pro; '23 Kona Sutra LTD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Manny66
Saturday L'Eroica Dinner at Linn's . As usual Aaron Linn was quite the Host and the wine was flowing , maybe a little too much flow as i felt it on Sundays Santa Lucia route. A great time was had by all in Attendance. I was fortunate to meet BradL and his lovely Wife. My new buddy Frank was also on hand for the Dinner and Saturday's Cayucos ride and also the 73 Mile Santa Lucia route. BIG thanks to Him and Bill for keeping me company and helping me out as I was clearly cooked.
You have a surprisingly speedy way of showing that you're cooked, Manny! Well done organizing & leading the Saturday morning ride and tearing through those last dozen or so miles on Sunday

-Frank
Old 09-18-23, 06:17 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 288 Posts
Wow, I'm very impressed with anyone that did the medium or long ride on their vintage bikes. I did the Nova Eroica 72-miler and can't imagine that final descent with old school brakes. Even with hydraulic brakes, my hands were sore at the bottom! Bravo!
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 09-18-23, 06:19 PM
Manny66 

Originally Posted by tmnguuyen
I did the Heroic route on Saturday and the baby route on Sunday with my wife on the Tandem. The weather was a blessing. People were pleasant and friendly. Bikes were cool. Medals have correct year on them this time. Participation is somewhat low particularly on the long route. Nice to see some of the people I met last year again (@Vitma, @Brad_L) and some new ones this year. I think, there is less than 20 on the Nova and even less on the 'beauty of fatigue' long route on Sunday. The amenities were basic but adequate. No Halter Ranch stop, Olea farm was more of a delay than a refueling stop. I could do without. Lunch box at midpoint for the long route riders in Templeton. The wind was blowing like mad and the cloud was pulling in when we got to the top of the Cypress mountain.
One young lady kicked our butts on the first Santa Rosa Creek climb. Her name is Katrina, and she rode like a hurricane. She may be the only female on the Nova long route.

Access to the lighthouse is not allowed and it is unfortunate, but it guess we must protect our environment. The organization should think about how to open it up again since it is the main highlight of the CA event.

Well Im easy to please so I can say that I had a VERY wonderful time at L'Eroica , Same as you Than .
Improvements ?,,,For Sure . But I do it mainly for the Comraderie in suffering and Friendships made along the way that only Cycling can give. I had fun and I WILL be back next year.
Likes For Manny66:
Old 09-18-23, 06:24 PM
Manny66 

Originally Posted by fvernon
You have a surprisingly speedy way of showing that you're cooked, Manny! Well done organizing & leading the Saturday morning ride and tearing through those last dozen or so miles on Sunday

-Frank
Frank !! Great times out there with You and Bill , There was a small group of Us that kept each other company along the roads and Im glad for it. I was envious of your bike with that cool gearing as I saw you riding up those Hills !! I did start feeling a little better towards the last 20 miles or so but I felt weak.. No More drinking Beer the night before a 73 mile ride.. No Molto Benne !
Likes For Manny66:
Old 09-18-23, 11:05 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,392 Times in 3,676 Posts
"It is what it is"

I am surprised they did it at all and am glad they did, could not have been prudent.

Lackluster, yes, worth it, yes, had a great time Tx to Rich at Velo Cambria, @Manny66, Greg Davis, @Robvolz and Myronda, @bikingshearer, @tmnguuyen, Amadaeo?, @Brad L, and many others.

Anyone that relies on the organization to make the event is missing the point, we are the event.

If you're going to rely on someone else to make you "Heroic", you'll never get there.

I may not go again but that doesn't mean I won't want to.
Likes For merziac:
Old 09-19-23, 07:53 AM
Ungaro

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Professional MK III; '71 Raleigh Pro Track; '88 Bianchi Campione d'Ialia; 2016 Litespeed T5 Gravel; 2012 Cool Fixie; 2017 Bottecchia Leggendaria; 2018 Bottecchia Leggendaria;2008 Electra Townie

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread. I don't know why the date was moved from April to September, but it does make it difficult to participate in some of the other Eroica events going on in Italy. I did 2017 & 2018 Eroica California out of Paso Robles and enjoyed both of them very much. In 2017, we were able to do Gaiole in the fall. That is not going to happen now, with the two events weeks apart. Is Wes still involved with it? He did a great job in the past, and I can't imagine why participation has dropped off so much.
Likes For Ungaro:
Old 09-19-23, 09:32 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,392 Times in 3,676 Posts
Originally Posted by Ungaro
Thanks for starting this thread. I don't know why the date was moved from April to September, but it does make it difficult to participate in some of the other Eroica events going on in Italy. I did 2017 & 2018 Eroica California out of Paso Robles and enjoyed both of them very much. In 2017, we were able to do Gaiole in the fall. That is not going to happen now, with the two events weeks apart. Is Wes still involved with it? He did a great job in the past, and I can't imagine why participation has dropped off so much.
I don't think Wes is still involved at all and may have been ostracized for trying to keep it right and was shot down in flames I think.

Paging @mech986
Likes For merziac:
Old 09-19-23, 01:36 PM
mech986 

Wes is not currently involved and has not been directly managing it since 2019’s first Cambria event. My understanding is although the events in Paso Robles were very good, the city of Paso Robles was unhappy with the use of the Downtown Central Park, the “damage” that putting tents and vendor booths caused (even though they permitted them to be used), and charged Eroica California for the cleanup and repairs of the grounds. Also, Paso Robles had given Eroica some Bed Tax money to seed the event but decided to drop the funding after the 2017 or 2018 event. This forced the 2018 event to move to the Fairgrounds which was not optimum but Wes made it work.

I also understand that although city center merchants and hotels were happy about the event and its revenues, quite a few residents did not like the event because the influx of people, cars, and bicycles caused residents headaches in getting around on Saturday and Sunday plus used up much of the park grounds and parking. Outside of the Paso Robles city center, many merchants, stores and restaurants has no idea the event was happening, or did they seem to care much.

I know Wes as a Paso resident worked very hard behind the scenes with the city and was aided by the local Hospice and volunteers. Some say he had very high expectations (due in no small way being a member of a famous Italian Sports Car club and its concours events), and tended to micromanage and not delegate enough. Many of us are like that when we are passionate about things and events.

Although the Paso events did go off pretty well, I think the Italian organizers and powers that be in Paso saw waning support for it staying in Paso. The positives in Paso are better and more varied, “affordable” lodging (although 5 years later that may have changed for more $$$), more things to do, a bit more city like with more stores, supermarkets, and gas stations, plus Hwy 101 proximity. The downsides are competing with the regular influx of weekend visitors from both Northern California / SF Bay area / Monterey Peninsula and Southern California, costs, loss of Paso Monetary support, resident complaints (and some redneck harassment of cyclists), and lack of a better site than the Fairgrounds. In some respects, Paso Robles is pretty upscale and more city like than the towns in Italy where the Gaiole events are held although the surrounding wineries and back roads are very similar.

The push to move to Cambria and add ocean, coastal, and smaller town support came from Aaron Linn and others, including the Italians who maybe wanted more control over the event? I think many things about Cambria were “better” - more small town casual feel, ocean riding for everyone, much less hectic, and a bit more community awareness. But the downsides were changes in the Italian organizers, much less local volunteers, less affordable and numbers of accommodations but lots of very good restaurants, and limited sizes of venues - the old Dog Park was “ok” but dry and dusty and out of the way. When that was used for other purposes, the move to the Lions Club Pinederosa grounds made sense and mostly works, but really crowded (good and bad), but the Veteran’s Hall for the dinner was too small for the numbers that signed up. Organization of the ride itself suffered a bit and summit water or food support was “good” in 2019, and missing in 2022. I haven’t read about this year yet. Halter Ranch stop was very good in 2019, so-so in 2022, I suspect due to costs and number of riders. I know nothing of the long ride stops. The short Ride with Piedras Blancas Light Station stop and support has had long running problems due to, IMO, (and you’ve heard this before from me who checked it out twice, poor Eroica organization and understanding of the BLM permitting process and the effort, costs, and manpower needed to get it permitted and approved, then to run it correctly, same as the summit water stops. Cayucos Stop has been uniformly excellent IMO, and well supported by the Cayucos Chamber of Commerce and the great folks at the Sea Shanty Restaurant who did the fabulous catering. Riders complained about lack of early morning coffee for the long and medium riders, tough bean is what I say, yeah, it would have been nice but you could make your own too in the morning.

After the 2019 event, where we had a big Italian contingent, pro photographers and videographers, a no-show Italian swap container, and lots of kudos and lots of concerns and complaints, there was a lot of work to do. To his credit, Amadeo was working on the organization and hired Kaori Peters, an event organizer and photographer, plus 3-4 other people to team organize the event. It was moving along well, I spoke to Kaori a few times as did Jo and others, and then the pandemic hit 2 months before the April event, causing cancellation and postponement. It was super unfortunate for everyone.

The rest you know, the event didn’t go off till April 2022, 2020 registration money already collected had dwindled, Eroica the International ride Franchises itself had been sold to an Italian bike seat conglomerate, and everyone was still reeling from the Pandemic crisis. IMO, it was a real challenge to get the 2022 event off, if you had high or reasonable expectations, you were disappointed, if you had low or no expectations, you were pleased because the ride, swap, most of the concours, the camaraderie, and the BIKES and ride (aside from route marking and summit support, was ok to good. The short ride ran into the same problems, organization and poor volunteer support both from the local Community and participants made the event difficult at best. Still, I had a great time because I made the most of it plus prepared to self support just in case. Aaron Linn did a fantastic job of food support way beyond the call of duty, but may have been burned on costs and remuneration, I don’t have first hand knowledge of that.

The lack of local delegation, decision making, budget, and planning to interested and passionate volunteers, complicated by, IMO, Italian and American culture “clash” or lack of mesh understanding, Italian issues with sharing financial, budget, contact, registration, and even rider numbers, would make local organization and logistic difficult if not impossible. Amadeo heard this and more, but for some reason, did not seem to respond to this concern. And as many of you found out, international customer service, registration and payment support, email response and communication, plus transparent information and communications doesn’t seem to be a strong suit yet.

Yes, most of us here in the US were expecting effort, organization, planning and budget for a first class event, presented as such, and raised expectations for what we paid, and what was “promised”. Because the event in many areas fell short, a lot of people soured on the event and did not participate or go this 2023 event, plus the Sept. postponement date conflicted with other commitments.

I would like anyone to tell me what the highest registration number was that they saw on the Nova and Classic rides, to suggest the number of riders who came. Plus size of crowds and estimation of participants, pics included. What was your expectations, experience, and how did you think it went? I really hope folks had a great or good time, and that needing to overlook some shortcomings did not dampen that too much. So your comments and observations would be appreciated.

I hope Eroica California under its new ownership and future plans takes all of this to heart. You guys and gals know I’ve been passionate about this event, believe it CAN be a gratifying if not World Class event, and can be successful with the right mix of effort, planning, execution and budget. It would be a huge shame if we lost this event. I’m actually surprised another additional US Eroica event couldn’t also happen in another venue.

We ain’t getting any younger!!

Bart

Last edited by mech986; 09-19-23 at 02:02 PM.
Likes For mech986:
Old 09-19-23, 02:22 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 311 Posts
My number was 293. I picked it up the morning of the ride. Are the numbers pre-assigned or sequential on sign in?

If it's sequential as you sign in, then I would estimate 500 , but that seems high unless the lion's share did the lighthouse? We rode basically alone the entire ride. I did see a 500 something card at the swap now that I think about it.

Still had a great time! We are already planning our bikes for next year. We have done every ride except the first one.

Last edited by Erzulis Boat; 09-19-23 at 02:41 PM.
Likes For Erzulis Boat:
Old 09-19-23, 02:47 PM
mech986 

Originally Posted by Manny66
The start of Sundays Santa Lucia Route , Lots of happiness at the Start and the Finish,, but not so much during ,, Brutal Climbs , Scary descents and rough Terrain. But it's L'Eroica and its supposed to be tough that's what makes it Heroic.

The START !

The top of the first climb .

When You're climbing so slow and you reach down to unstrap ,,and fall over! I got a little rash , But hey , the bike didnt get a scratch !

When you're going 4.6 MPH on loose gravel , well it didnt go too well for me.

The Top !

Just under 7 hours with a few rest stops. Ill take it .
Originally Posted by tmnguuyen
I did the Heroic route on Saturday and the baby route on Sunday with my wife on the Tandem. The weather was a blessing. People were pleasant and friendly. Bikes were cool. Medals have correct year on them this time. Participation is somewhat low particularly on the long route. Nice to see some of the people I met last year again (@Vitma, @Brad_L, @Thalia949, @merziac) and some new ones this year. I think, there is less than 20 on the Nova and even less on the 'beauty of fatigue' long route on Sunday. The amenities were basic but adequate. No Halter Ranch stop, Olea farm was more of a delay than a refueling stop. I could do without. Lunch box at midpoint for the long route riders in Templeton. The wind was blowing like mad and the cloud was pulling in when we got to the top of the Cypress mountain.

Photos of the two ladies that completed the long route. Katrina is between me and my wife in the photo.

Last 2 riders (Thanh and Mike) to the top of Cypress. It was windy and cold. 4 others were SAGed back because they didn't make the cut off time.

Our group before we part ways at long/short
Manny and Than, congrats to both of you for
completing your rides, getting through the climbs, and repping the SoCal contingent. I hope to hear more stories from both of you at future VeloRetro rides.

Manny, I had the same problem with slow climbing speeds and almost falling over multiple times, saved only by a well placed foot and rubber soles. My saving grace was being better able to balance in 2022 using a 24F/34R granny cogs to keep spinning revs up even at 5 mph. That and I think my wider tires gave me a little more stability on the dirt climbs. I’m glad you made it with just a few scrapes. Did you fall on Santa Rita or Cypress climbs?

That damn Cypress descent is still darn scary to me and really tested my brakes and hand strength in 2019 and 2022. I thought for sure I’d crash at least 3 times due to excessive speed.
Old 09-19-23, 03:08 PM
Ungaro

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Professional MK III; '71 Raleigh Pro Track; '88 Bianchi Campione d'Ialia; 2016 Litespeed T5 Gravel; 2012 Cool Fixie; 2017 Bottecchia Leggendaria; 2018 Bottecchia Leggendaria;2008 Electra Townie

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Bart,
Thanks for the recap. I do recall the issues with the Paso Robles merchants and city govt. I thought the last venue there would have taken care of the issues, but I’m also looking forward to making it to Cambria.Sorry to hear that the management has been less than stellar. Hopefully, that can get ironed out and the event can continue.

In other news, I see the parent brand is marketing Eroica Cuba! I mean, what could go wrong?…..
Old 09-19-23, 03:24 PM
tmnguuyen 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 171 Posts
Bart,
Thanks for the recap. I do recall the issues with the Paso Robles merchants and city govt. I thought the last venue there would have taken care of the issues, but I’m also looking forward to making it to Cambria.Sorry to hear that the management has been less than stellar. Hopefully, that can get ironed out and the event can continue.

In other news, I see the parent brand is marketing Eroica Cuba! I mean, what could go wrong?…..
Yeah, i was excited to see Eroica Cuba. They may be able to put on a better show since the cost of doing business there is way cheaper. I think this is part of the CA event issue. The cost of doing things in the US, particularly here in CA, is high compared to other countries.
Likes For tmnguuyen:
Old 09-19-23, 03:35 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
For me, this is a grail bike. You are lucky.

Originally Posted by mech986

Likes For Bad Lag:
Old 09-19-23, 03:36 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Congratulations to all who attended!
Likes For Bad Lag:
Old 09-19-23, 03:41 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
No accounting most likely of the number who signed up and paid but were not able to attend for whatever reason(s).

like those gravity storms some endured and adjusted priorities.
Likes For repechage:
Old 09-19-23, 06:07 PM
mech986 

Well, it may not be scientific but it’s a data point, here’s a photo from Wally’s Bicycle Works Facebook page post Eroica showing many of the bikes they loaned or rented out for the weekend. If you look closely, you’ll see one bike with rider rage #519. Hopefully that means more than 500 classic riders. That would still be a pretty good turnout, all things considered.

edit: well, per Thanh, over 300 would be a reach. Apparently some high number were given out but they were not in sequence. #293 was mentioned below and picked up the morning of, again, not sure if in sequence or not. Oh well.

I don’t have info on what happened with Nova Eroica, did they ride separately on Saturday as originally planned or did they ride with the classic riders? Did they use separate Nova numbers or the same as Classic? That way we can see if there were additional Nova riders not counted among the Classic numbers.

edit: yes, the Nova riders did have separate numbers, you can see in Than’s Nova pics his number 56 is visible with a different color scheme. I do wish they printed all the numbers on both sides instead of one so you could catch it viewing either side. Will look for other Nova pics.

Wally’s Facebook link won’t post for some reason or at least I can’t see it below. Check Facebook and look for Wally’s Bike Works.

Facebook Post " data-width="500" data-show-text="true" data-lazy="true">
Facebook Post " class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore">Facebook Post

#519 way back there

#40 in the foreground

Repairs at one of the stops

Last edited by mech986; 09-19-23 at 08:14 PM.
Likes For mech986:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.