Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Having trouble locating brake pad for 2018 Specialized Allez

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-24, 09:31 AM
AJW2W11E

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 50 Posts

Can anyone help me identify the replacement brake pad for this Specialized Allez? I tried to search for it without much luck. It's a Tektro Axis caliper. I can't find a part number.
Thank you in Advance
Old 01-28-24, 09:37 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 491 Posts
It looks like a pretty standard cartridge.

Slide the pad off and take it to the shop to compare, almost certainly it will fit their standard road bike cartridge offerings.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 01-28-24, 10:08 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
The focus being on the tyre rather than the brake has somewhat limited the utility of that photo but it looks like, as rosefarts says, it is a normal RSSC3 type road pad with the little locking screw at the back.
Old 01-28-24, 10:52 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6198 Post(s)
Liked 4,814 Times in 3,321 Posts
You might just take one off and eyeball it to one of the sites that give better information. And that certainly won't be Tektro.

Kool Stop is a brand of pads that many recommend if you search for Tektro on their site it gives you this as a replacement pad for TRP and Tektro holders that have a set screw...

https://koolstop.com/products/dura?_...8b6d532c&_ss=r

But you could just browse their other offerings for pads with and without a internal backbone and find one that has the same mounting post to the calipers, which most are the same, and replace the whole pad assembly. If the mount post on yours isn't centered in the pad, then look for one that has about the same offset and general shape of your current pad.

https://koolstop.com/collections/rim-pads
Likes For Iride01:
Old 01-28-24, 11:14 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 339 Posts
These are standard road pad cartridges, made by Shimano, SRAM, Jagwire, Kool-stop, Tektro, . . .
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 01-28-24, 11:32 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 1,567 Times in 1,029 Posts
Just to be clear, there are three major road cartridge pad styles - older Campagnolo, newer Campagnolo, and Shimano/SRAM/Tektro/Dia Compe/generic. Companies like Kool Stop or Swiss Stop make all three. Your brake is not Campagnolo, so it falls into the last category. So buy pads marked "Shimano/SRAM", or just buy Shimano brand pads.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 01-28-24, 12:55 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,491 Times in 3,213 Posts
Originally Posted by AJW2W11E
Can anyone help me identify the replacement brake pad for this Tektro caliper?
Shop eBay for "kool stop dura."

https://www.ebay.com/itm/166563970758

If you need the shoe as well, shop for "kool stop dura holder."

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363285902115

​​​​​​
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 01-28-24, 05:56 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 1,474 Times in 1,021 Posts
Just buy the complete brake shoe, which includes both the holder and the replaceable brake pad: Shimano 105 5800-L Road Brake Shoe Set Black - Walmart.com

$12/pair, and since these use Shimano's standard brake pad you will not have trouble sourcing either Shimano or aftermarket pads when it is time to replace them.
Old 01-28-24, 07:14 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Just buy the complete brake shoe, which includes both the holder and the replaceable brake pad: Shimano 105 5800-L Road Brake Shoe Set Black - Walmart.com

$12/pair, and since these use Shimano's standard brake pad you will not have trouble sourcing either Shimano or aftermarket pads when it is time to replace them.
I don't agree with this at all. Not only is it easier to change the pad than the holder, but you don't have to readjust the pad angle or height. And it is cheaper to replace just the pads.

The OP's brake already has pad holders.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 01-28-24, 07:47 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 4,002 Times in 2,671 Posts
Yeah do not buy the shoes you have shoes, just replace the pads. I highly reccomend SwissStop pads (or SRAM which are actually made by SwissStop at least some of them) or KoolStop in any S-Group configuration so Flash Pro or Flash Evo (if you have wide rims) for SwissStop or the Dura type for KoolStop and in your case just ones for standard aluminum rims.

DO NOT BUY CHEAP PADS. Brake pads and shoes are a place I don't want to cheap out on because they are the cheapest way to upgrade your braking and can actually have the most effect. I ran cheapie garbage XLC pads once on my Dura Ace calipers and I could notice the difference right away and quickly took them off and threw them away and got some SwissStop Pads (actually SRAM at first) and never looked back. If they don't have Stop in the name I would just move on.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-28-24, 08:01 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Yeah do not buy the shoes you have shoes, just replace the pads. I highly reccomend SwissStop pads (or SRAM which are actually made by SwissStop at least some of them) or KoolStop in any S-Group configuration so Flash Pro or Flash Evo (if you have wide rims) for SwissStop or the Dura type for KoolStop and in your case just ones for standard aluminum rims.

DO NOT BUY CHEAP PADS. Brake pads and shoes are a place I don't want to cheap out on because they are the cheapest way to upgrade your braking and can actually have the most effect. I ran cheapie garbage XLC pads once on my Dura Ace calipers and I could notice the difference right away and quickly took them off and threw them away and got some SwissStop Pads (actually SRAM at first) and never looked back. If they don't have Stop in the name I would just move on.
Agreed, but I would say that the Shimano standard pad is equal to the SwissStop and Kool Stops. All three are easy to find.

The Tektro pads are also poor like the XLC, so the OP is probably in for a treat when he gets good ones (those Specialized brakes are probably Tektro).
Old 01-28-24, 08:15 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 4,002 Times in 2,671 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Agreed, but I would say that the Shimano standard pad is equal to the SwissStop and Kool Stops. All three are easy to find.

The Tektro pads are also poor like the XLC, so the OP is probably in for a treat when he gets good ones (those Specialized brakes are probably Tektro).
Shimano rim brake pads are right underneath both of those. It wasn't a scientific test mind you but I have noticed a difference between the Stops and Shimano. Shimano makes good pads no doubt but I think rim brakes I would stick with the stops.

Tektro/TRP make decent calipers but their pads are terrible at least on the disc brake front I swapped pads and rotors and it changed the brakes I really wish I hadn't bought the TRP rotors in the first place but I didn't know at the time.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-28-24, 09:00 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Kontact veganbikes I only suggested to the OP to buy the complete brake shoes because OP said that OP could not find replacement pads for the existing shoes.
Old 01-28-24, 09:48 PM
Kontact 

Kontact veganbikes I only suggested to the OP to buy the complete brake shoes because OP said that OP could not find replacement pads for the existing shoes.
He couldn't find them because he didn't see any "Axis" specific brake pads, but they are Shimano/Sram standard.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 01-29-24, 06:15 PM
AJW2W11E

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 50 Posts
Thanks everyone.
Likes For AJW2W11E:
Old 02-01-24, 07:51 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Agreed, but I would say that the Shimano standard pad is equal to the SwissStop and Kool Stops.
I wouldn't say that. Swiss Stop pads stop noticeably better than my Dura Ace pads. And I thought my Dura Ace pads were awesome. But definitely not equal.
Old 02-01-24, 11:40 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by smd4
I wouldn't say that. Swiss Stop pads stop noticeably better than my Dura Ace pads. And I thought my Dura Ace pads were awesome. But definitely not equal.
Alloy or CF wheels? Dry or wet?
Old 02-01-24, 11:45 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Alloy or CF wheels? Dry or wet?
Alloy. Dry.