Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Ever Crashed Due To A Flat Tire?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Ever Crashed Due To A Flat Tire?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-14, 05:50 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by TransitBiker
After reading all this stuff, i'm feeling some tire liners may be a worthwhile investment along with the tube changing tools on my list.
The best for avoiding flats is tires with flat protection built in. Tire liners need to be positioned right, if they're off position they can accidentally wear a hole in the tube themselves.
Old 07-24-14, 05:59 PM
SlowJoeCrow

Bikes: Redline Conquest Pro, Kona Cinder Cone, Trek Fuel EX8(RIP) Pivot Mach 5 frankenbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I've had a few nervous moments from the bike wallowing with a soft tire but none of them have put me on the ground. Knock wood, my crashing has been off road on loose stuff or mud and not where I could get really badly hurt.
If the OP is really paranoid about flats, somebody was touting a project on Kickstarter to make a bicycle sized version of the Bib Mousse foam "tube" used on dirt bikes. This sacrifices some ride quality and speed but it's almost impossible to flat.
Old 07-25-14, 12:33 AM
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity, Fuji Varsity

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
The best for avoiding flats is tires with flat protection built in. Tire liners need to be positioned right, if they're off position they can accidentally wear a hole in the tube themselves.

- Andy
Old 09-14-22, 08:22 AM
mgbest

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i crashed yesterday beacuse of a flat front that i forgot about. when i got on the bike the first thing i did was stand up and peddle and as soon as i was turning the corner the flat tire sliped on the road and the whole bike want down with me miner cuts and scrapes and some road rash on my back it sucks.
Old 09-17-22, 08:34 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Yup, a few weeks ago. I was nursing a low front tire, pumping it every mile or so, trying to get home. I reached a turn that I've taken 1000's of times, and didn't think about the tire. I went down hard.
Old 09-17-22, 11:56 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
I don't think I've ever had a flat cause a crash. Lots of experience with flats, but not crashes due to flats.

I have, however, had crashes (road cracks) that caused flats.

I have rolled sewups before. Probably due to being too lazy with gluing. I don't think it caused me to crash though. And that has been an awful long time ago.

As far as flats, I can usually feel when the tire starts bumping, when pressure is low, but not quite completely flat.
Old 09-18-22, 04:19 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
IMO - a flat should never lead to a crash. Decent bicycle handling skills should allow us to manage the consequences of even a sudden high speed blowout.

However compost happens and life doesn't always as it should, and sometimes circumstances conspire to remind is that should and could are very different notions.

So, IME, yes I've had the bike lay me down because of a flat. Ironically, despite a great number of high speed tire failures (tubular tire road bike), I've never had a crash that way. My bad luck wasn't a sudden blowout, but rather, a slow leak in the front wheel's 1.9" tire which wallowed when I attempted to turn into a driveway. The circumstances ensured low speed, so the injury to pride was more serious than my skinned knee.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-04-22, 07:22 PM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Nope. The only instance where I would lose control from a flat would be a complete blowout on a high speed descent while leaning heavily into a corner. If I get a flat there is enough time for me to react and slow down.
Old 10-04-22, 07:48 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,931 Times in 2,556 Posts
Originally Posted by jyl

This may sound crazy, but I am thinking about converting the commute bike to tubulars with sealant. I've had flats with tubulars, including one where the tubular casing actually blew in half (it was an old tire that I should have replaced) and the bike seems more controllable with a deflating tubular than what I've experienced with deflating clinchers.
I had a rear flat, the tire come off, jam in the seatstays and toss me for a top half dozen worst category crash. Ribs, collarbone, lots of helmet damage, and acre of road rash. Took me a few years but I am now back on tubulars so that never happens again. (And those magic carpets, while expensive, are fun to ride.) I enjoyed the long, fast descents of hilly central Oregon two weeks ago like I haven't since that crash. High speed flats on tubulars are so much less scary. (Assuming a good glue job.) I picked up goatheads on both tires so now both are sealed.

Commuted on tubulars for decades. I see real advantages. The fast change in any weather, any conditions (not limited to being sober or awake), no flat two miles later from whatever caused the first on and is still hanging out in your tread, rimstrip, etc. and if your life or bike depends on a fast change, you can always do it. (Flatting in unsavory neighborhoods at night ...)

I always used Tubasti in part because the rim stayed sticky enough for a reasonably secure with a dry tire. Never cleaned the rim. Always felt the rim/cement interface, once good enough to survive tire pulls, should be left alone and just added to.

My current city bikes are still running Paselas as the rest of my bikes are going tubular. Won't make the switch until a tire shows me it's commuter ready (and comes in 28c).

Edit: I plead guilty to answering an old post but my testimony stands.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 10-04-22 at 07:55 PM.