Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

5 yo Proofide expired already?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-21, 12:45 PM
Jantaras

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Hello,

I bought Proofide about 5 or 6 years ago, used it then and for about 3 years it was in a warm storeroom.
This year I used it on other artificial leather sack and noticed that it won't dry anymore.

Now I bought new Proofide and used both old and new on Brooks saddle (just for a small surface). Old is tacky, shiny, looks like fat/grease. New looks like ordinary Proofide. Immediately after applying they looked the same, but after a couple of hours new is already dry, is waxy/whitish in appearance. The old one is still shiny greasy tacky goo.

Can't find any similar inputs on the net and all says that there are no expiration date for Proofide.

As far as I remember, my Proofide was always stored in warm room, temperature more than 50 F.

Also, old Proofide was made in England, this new is made in Italy.

Any similar cases?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1.jpg (326.1 KB, 205 views)
2.jpg (670.7 KB, 204 views)
3.jpg (413.9 KB, 203 views)
Likes For Jantaras:
Old 10-25-21, 01:18 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 832 Times in 540 Posts
Almost looks like your old Proofide has a lower melting point than your new one?.....
Old 10-25-21, 01:59 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2340 Post(s)
Liked 2,833 Times in 1,545 Posts
I finally finished my original tin of proofide it was ~10 years old and got a new tin. I didn't really see much difference at all, I put a super small amount on and really rub it in on the top, use more on the bottom/inside

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 10-25-21, 02:51 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,056 Times in 1,256 Posts
My old (reddish) Proofide was definitely going rancid when I finished it some years ago. More organic compounds perhaps. I used it with no ill effects.

The new stuff isn't so tacky. Try buffing it in a little more as the dimpled finish is probably harder to penetrate.
Likes For clubman:
Old 10-25-21, 03:07 PM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 329 Posts
My experience with stored Proofhide is it tends to soften just a bit with age (assuming you don't forget to close it and have it dry out), and develops a kind of unique, rancid smell. It's not terrible, but you'll notice it getting kind of mushy and picking up a smell. That said, I've used it and it still works. I found it took a little more work to get it into the leather and get rid of the greasy film. I'd try working it in a little more before totally giving up on the old tin.
Old 10-25-21, 05:41 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3594 Post(s)
Liked 3,403 Times in 1,936 Posts
FWIW, I finally finished off my 40+ year old tin of Proofide this summer. It seemed fine. I used a ~10 year old tin of Proofide (purchased when I couldn't find the other tin. Of course, the old tin turned up immediately after I bought the new tin) on the other saddles. Also worked fine, but the contents looked completely different from the contents of the old tin.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 10-25-21, 07:30 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
The mention of on artificial leather- “bonded leather” or vinyl?!?
no, not for those materials.
the proofide has changed in formula about 12 years ago maybe even a prior tweak earlier.

Brooks at one point admitted as much and advised that old tins were out of date.
Old 11-12-21, 01:07 PM
Jantaras

Thanks for replies!
I waited for 4 days, the Proofide from old tin was getting dry, but very slowly. It was hard to buff it out. The old tin is quite empty and I have a new tin, so no worrries. But yeah, it is very different than it was 5 years ago. Maybe some kind of oxydation process? I can't notice any difference in smell.
Old 11-12-21, 01:17 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
the storeroom you mentioned....did it get real humid in there? i wonder if somehow the old proofide got moisture contaminated. i dunno...just speculating. some auto fluids can get ruined like that
Old 11-12-21, 01:35 PM
Jantaras

Originally Posted by thook
the storeroom you mentioned....did it get real humid in there? i wonder if somehow the old proofide got moisture contaminated. i dunno...just speculating. some auto fluids can get ruined like that
Storeroom is not humid, at least I think so There are some fluctuations in temperature, it is about 55 F in winter, warmer in summer.
Likes For Jantaras:
Old 11-12-21, 01:56 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4813 Post(s)
Liked 3,940 Times in 2,562 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
FWIW, I finally finished off my 40+ year old tin of Proofide this summer. It seemed fine. I used a ~10 year old tin of Proofide (purchased when I couldn't find the other tin. Of course, the old tin turned up immediately after I bought the new tin) on the other saddles. Also worked fine, but the contents looked completely different from the contents of the old tin.
Total aside - I often spend money on replacements knowing full well that all I am doing is prodding the old one out of hiding. It's like hide and seek. Once the other kids have given up and gone home, no reason to keep hiding.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 11-12-21, 02:27 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
I have a tin of Proofide that is 50 years old. It is still just fine. It has received no special storage but has never been frozen.

Wipe on a little. Let it soak in. Wipe off any excess and buff with a clean cloth.
Old 11-12-21, 10:42 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
I can easily imagine that one vintage has a higher melt-point temperature, or that at least some fraction of the contents needs a higher temperature to fully penetrate the leather surface and be absorbed.
I've put newly-treated saddles into a pre-heated oven at 140F (turning the heat off immediately before placing the saddle in the oven). I doubt that the saddle temperature exceeded 120F but the Proofhide soaked in quickly, within an hour I would say.
Old 11-13-21, 12:47 AM
metalrideroz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Another data point. Before I gave up on leather saddles I had a tin, like the one pictured on the left, turn into smelly liquid in about 18 months. Not sure why. I mixed it together and applied it anyway. It still worked ok.
Old 11-13-21, 04:47 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Old Proofide vs. New

The original red Brooks Proofide contained the following ingredients:

Tallow - animal fat, that in the UK is usually rendered from beef or sheep
Cod oil - fish oil
Vegetable oil
Paraffin wax - petroleum product
Beeswax
Citronella oil - plant based derived from lemon grass. Has anti-fungal properties and repels mosquitoes (and surly dogs). It also gives Proofide it's particular smell or fragrance.

Years ago I inquired with Brooks in the UK about the pink/reddish color. Mercury compounds tend to be red and were used as highly toxic preservatives in the past. I was assured by the folks at Brooks that Proofide contained no mercury, only the ingredients listed above.

The next generation of Proofide was whitish and came in a copper tin. It had a more solid fell than the original red Proofide. One suggestion was made that when Brooks started selling more un-dyed or honey colored saddles, they dropped the red colorant???

A later version came in a gray tin. It contained the following ingredients:

Cod fish oil was dropped and Rapeseed (Canola oil) and Sunflower oil were listed as ingredients instead.

Apparently the ingredients have change again in recent years.???

Unlike petroleum based oils, animal and vegetable based oils contain very few volatile compounds that can evaporate away. Instead they harden or "dry up" through oxidation. That's why Proofide appears to dry out.

Linseed oil and Tung oils used in paint and other surface protective products are good examples of this hardening effect. They're usually blended with volatile petroleum based solvents that evaporate away.

Applying some heat to the Proofide tin can cause some of the ingredients to soften but when it's hard there's not much you can do with it except use it for a hockey puck!

When I apply Proofide I use a tooth brush to get into the hard to reach areas on the underside of the saddle and around the rails in the nose. Also gently heating the saddle helps Proofide to sink into the leather faster. A hair dryer set on low temperature works well for this.

Leather stored in high humidity areas like basements and garages tends to get moldy or covered with mildew. It seemed to me but I can't prove it, the old red Proofide was more resistant to this problem.

I found that 70% isopropyl alcohol works well for removing mold and mildew. It not only cleans the stuff off but it has sanitizing properties.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 11-13-21 at 05:01 AM.
Old 11-13-21, 10:34 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1860 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
I found an old lost tin, not seen for about 20 years, the gray tin version. A little sticky, it turned out only the "outer" compound was sticky. I put it on saddles, and the next stratum down feels pretty normal. I havent seen an Italian one yet.

I recently used the 20 year old stuff on a 1979 Pro Select. It noticeably opened the pores, so ... good! I've just a bought a 5-year old standard Professional in excellent condition and we'll see how it is. For indoor riding with no bumps the Select suits my bones well, and I'm hoping ig starts to soften a bit. This one started out feeling and sounding wooden. One trusted saddle guy (rudi) says it might not be long for this world but not in so meny words. However this is a 1979 saddle with some mildew and water damage when I got it, so it if dies, ... so be it.

I wonder if 20-ish year old Proofide is too new to be used on a 43 year old saddle?

As far as compound which is too hard to spread, I always put the tin in my pocket and carry it around for maybe 45 minutes before opening it up to apply. That makes it easier to get my fingers into.

BTW I've also used it on a vintage 1984 Ideale 92 - freshens it up!

Last edited by Road Fan; 11-13-21 at 10:46 AM.