Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Questions Spokes, Rims, Hub flange fatigue life, lacing, ect

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-21, 06:38 AM
azza_333

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I was planning to have my wheels rebuilt with some shallow carbon rims for a new bike build, but my wife mention wanting the old wheels for her bike, so I am most likely going to have built a new wheelset.

The new wheels are intended for road/gravel bike packing, and light touring. It will also double as my bunch ride bike for weekends. As for the load of the bike when bikepacking/touring 210lbs or 95kg (Bike 10kg, Rider 70kg, Luggage 10kg, plus an additional 5kg fudge factor)

I have a few questions though, given my intended use:

- My old wheelset that my wife wants has 7 year old DT Swiss 240 hubs 32h, do the flanges have a fatigue life or anything like that? I have seen a few pictures online of flanges breaking. Even if I consider reusing them for me with new rims, I would want to know the flanges are 100%.

- Since DT SWISS don't make 32h 240 hubs anymore would 28h be solidly reliable for my use?

- I would get a profession wheel builder to build them, so I will go with what ever he recommends, but I am just wondering, is 3 cross the strongest for a 28h wheel?

- I have read that deeper rims are stronger, I am considering 3 different rims 30mm, 50mm, or a 36mm rim that has an Asymmetric rim profile. I was leaning towards the 30mm since its light, but I wouldn't be against considering 50mm for bunch rides. Is there a large strength difference between the rim depths? And is spokes ripping nipples through carbon rims a serious issue?

- Spoke selection, again I will go with what ever the wheel builder recommends, but I would rather have an idea ahead of time, would I need something as beefy as DT Swiss Alpine III spokes, to make a 28h wheel reliable for me intended use? or would something lighter like DT Swiss Competition spokes be strong enough? I might consider a bladed spoke like DT Swiss Aero Comp if I go with the 50mm rim depth.

Thanks in advance for feedback.
Old 09-01-21, 07:12 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
For loaded touring, I'd find a hub/wheelset with a sensible number of spokes, 32 at a minimum, 36 preferable. Unless you're riding in competitive events, I wouldn't bother with superlight/low spoke count stuff. Instead, spend your money on getting a hand-built/tensioned wheelset from a reputable wheelbuilder, who can assess your needs and recommend appropriate components for the build.
Old 09-01-21, 07:40 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4209 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Originally Posted by azza_333
I was planning to have my wheels rebuilt with some shallow carbon rims for a new bike build, but my wife mention wanting the old wheels for her bike, so I am most likely going to have built a new wheelset.

The new wheels are intended for road/gravel bike packing, and light touring. It will also double as my bunch ride bike for weekends. As for the load of the bike when bikepacking/touring 210lbs or 95kg (Bike 10kg, Rider 70kg, Luggage 10kg, plus an additional 5kg fudge factor)

- My old wheelset that my wife wants has 7 year old DT Swiss 240 hubs 32h, do the flanges have a fatigue life or anything like that? I have seen a few pictures online of flanges breaking. Even if I consider reusing them for me with new rims, I would want to know the flanges are 100%. Flange failures do happen but are no where as common as people seem think, given all the talk about them.

- Since DT SWISS don't make 32h 240 hubs anymore would 28h be solidly reliable for my use? Possibly, but all else the same there's no way 28 points of support can be as strong as 32.

- I would get a profession wheel builder to build them, so I will go with what ever he recommends, but I am just wondering, is 3 cross the strongest for a 28h wheel? As the spoke count goes down generally the cross pattern also lessens due to the angle the spokes leave the flange and enter the rim. Follow the pro's suggestions and don't over think this.

- I have read that deeper rims are stronger, I am considering 3 different rims 30mm, 50mm, or a 36mm rim that has an Asymmetric rim profile. I was leaning towards the 30mm since its light, but I wouldn't be against considering 50mm for bunch rides. Is there a large strength difference between the rim depths? And is spokes ripping nipples through carbon rims a serious issue? Large strength difference, no but the deeper rims are stiffer. Not a preference IMO as I like a wheel that reduces the shocks the rider feels. Nipples can descend into the rim bed with tension. Better rims do a better job at supporting the nipple seat. Again, your builder's advice should be heeded.

- Spoke selection, again I will go with what ever the wheel builder recommends, but I would rather have an idea ahead of time, would I need something as beefy as DT Swiss Alpine III spokes, to make a 28h wheel reliable for me intended use? or would something lighter like DT Swiss Competition spokes be strong enough? I might consider a bladed spoke like DT Swiss Aero Comp if I go with the 50mm rim depth. There is a happy middle between the Alpines and the Comps, why explore the diametrical ends of the range at the same time? You seem unsure as to what you want.

Thanks in advance for feedback.
As is usual with wheel questions there's a big "shade of grey" range, thus few black and white answers. Andy
Old 09-01-21, 08:36 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Only flanges I've seen break were a couple of new hubs (<6 month). If they were forged correctly, they'll last a long time.

That said, next time you wash your bike, give the hubs a close look.
Old 09-01-21, 09:19 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts
Originally Posted by azza_333

- My old wheelset that my wife wants has 7 year old DT Swiss 240 hubs 32h, do the flanges have a fatigue life or anything like that? I have seen a few pictures online of flanges breaking. Even if I consider reusing them for me with new rims, I would want to know the flanges are 100%.
There probably is but the length of time is likely beyond what any one person could put on them in a lifetime. I have hubs that are close to 20 years old and have 25,000 miles on them. That’s a lot of tension/detension cycles.

- Since DT SWISS don't make 32h 240 hubs anymore would 28h be solidly reliable for my use?
That depends on your use and your tolerance for broken spokes. You might be able to use them and never break a spoke. On the other hand, you might start popping spokes like Orville Redenbacher pops corn. A way to make the wheel more reliable with fewer spokes is to use stronger spokes. DT Alpine III spokes are stronger and make for stronger wheels. This article explains why using triple butted spokes is a good idea. Personally, I don’t use less than 32 spokes but if I did, I’d use Alpines.

- I would get a profession wheel builder to build them, so I will go with what ever he recommends, but I am just wondering, is 3 cross the strongest for a 28h wheel?
I should work but I doubt that the cross pattern will make much difference.

- I have read that deeper rims are stronger, I am considering 3 different rims 30mm, 50mm, or a 36mm rim that has an Asymmetric rim profile. I was leaning towards the 30mm since its light, but I wouldn't be against considering 50mm for bunch rides. Is there a large strength difference between the rim depths? And is spokes ripping nipples through carbon rims a serious issue?
“Stronger” how? Strength of rims is widely overblown. The rim does little to make a wheel “strong”. The rim is there as a vehicle for holding the spokes and a convenient place to put a tire. When it comes to wheel strength, the spokes do all the heavy lifting (and get none of the credit). Think of it this way: if a rim is damaged or wears out, is the wheel finished? Probably not. It’s not difficult to replace a rim. But break more than a couple of spokes and the wheel is well on it’s way to the scrap yard.

- Spoke selection, again I will go with what ever the wheel builder recommends, but I would rather have an idea ahead of time, would I need something as beefy as DT Swiss Alpine III spokes, to make a 28h wheel reliable for me intended use? or would something lighter like DT Swiss Competition spokes be strong enough? I might consider a bladed spoke like DT Swiss Aero Comp if I go with the 50mm rim depth.
Should have read ahead. What spoke you use depends on whether you value saving about 100g for the whole wheel set or you want wheels that are more durable. I always choose durability.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!