Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

What do you say to "well-wishers"?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-10, 06:14 PM
brianinc-ville

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts

So, you're unlocking your bike outside a shop and some (usually fat, often old) person steps out of their SUV, looks you up and down, and says "you be safe out there!"

Now, I'm all in favor of safety. Heck, I'm a LAB instructor. I use lots of lights, a helmet, a reflective vest, I check my brakes all the time...but this still annoys me, because the subtext is obviously "you're doing something crazy and unsafe and I don't approve!" But they're not coming out and saying what they really mean. So, what do you say back? I don't want to be a d**k, but I also don't want to reinforce their prejudices by accepting their statement uncritically. Ideally, I'd say something like "Thanks! I'm a bike safety instructor and I can show you how!" -- but that does kind of make it seem like bikes are for the trained and fanatical only.

I've started saying "Thanks! You be safe in there!", but I doubt they get it.

What's your line?
Old 02-18-10, 06:40 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
What's your line?
Thanks, now watch for ALL the traffic out there.
Old 02-18-10, 06:44 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
"I always am -- still here!"

Or, the one I started using last fall, for special occasions:

"Yeah, there's a LOTTA idiots out there!" with a meaningful look.
Old 02-18-10, 06:45 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by brianinc-ville
So, you're unlocking your bike outside a shop and some (usually fat, often old) person steps out of their SUV, looks you up and down, and says "you be safe out there!"

<Snip>

I've started saying "Thanks! You be safe in there!", but I doubt they get it.

What's your line?
Why presume that they are assuming that you are engaged in a dangerous activity? My landlord is always telling me to be safe when he sees me take off. He also rides, but he's a fatherly type. I just simply remind him that no matter how safe I am if the other guy isn't, it's not really going to change anything. Maybe they are the sort who truly wish for everyone to be safe when out in public?

Yes, there are probably some out ther who subscribe to the line of thought that you are ascribing to all of the well wishers, but there are also some out there who realize that riding is just as valid an option as driving a car, or riding a motorcycle.
Old 02-18-10, 06:54 PM
gitarzan
Lost Again

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1991 Sirrus, Specialized Secteur Elite, Miele Umbria Elite.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just say, "Thank you, I will." They mean well, there's no need to take it as an insult.
Old 02-18-10, 07:06 PM
travelmama

Bikes: Kona Ute, Nishiki 4130, Trek 7000, K2 Mach 1.0, Novara Randonee, Schwinn Loop, K2 Zed 1.0, Schwinn Cream, Torker Boardwalk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get that crap all of the time. I can only be as safe as I see fit for me and my ride. I tell people that they need to watch out for me and drop the phones and text machines.
Old 02-18-10, 07:09 PM
kludgefudge

Bikes: late 80's bianchi campion d'italia, early 90's trek 2100, early 90's shogun selectra, mid 90's aluminum marin xcMTB, dept. store grade but upgraded columbia double eagle tandem

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, the person I get this from the most is my mom, and she is definitely worried that riding a bicycle on the roads is a dangerous activity as compared to driving. especially at night. I usually just reply with somthing about cycling at night not really being any more dangerous than day riding especially with good blinkys. She doesn't worry nearly at much, at least out loud, when I am travelling by car. Its shocking how afraid many people I know are about riding a bicycle on the street. Not so afraid of it that they don't think anyone should do it, but too afraid to do it themselves.

Last edited by kludgefudge; 02-18-10 at 07:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-18-10, 07:30 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Thank you!" It's not like that person is my friend looking for conversation... Same as when strangers who don't really care ask "How are you?" and the standard answer is "Fine."
Old 02-18-10, 07:30 PM
sggoodri

Bikes: 1983 Trek 500, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2023 Litespeed Watia

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I just say: "Thanks, you too!" in a happy voice.
Old 02-18-10, 07:50 PM
randya

Bikes: who cares?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
it's like they think they know something you don't know

Old 02-18-10, 07:51 PM
closetbiker

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts

.... So, what do you say back?

What's your line?
"If you can manage to drive safe, I'll be safe"
Old 02-18-10, 09:19 PM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sggoodri
I just say: "Thanks, you too!" in a happy voice.
+1
Old 02-18-10, 09:24 PM
oldbluebike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to be a biker of the Motorcycle kind. That is not an uncommon thing for one biker to say to another. I have not heard it in the bicycle arena but probably would not think much about it.
Old 02-18-10, 09:41 PM
brianinc-ville

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by gitarzan
Just say, "Thank you, I will." They mean well, there's no need to take it as an insult.
Yeah, see, I don't actually think they do mean well. I mean, some people surely do, but those aren't the people I'm talking about. The fact that so many people here recognized what I was talking about suggests to me that I'm not just imagining this stuff. It's the same kind of passive-aggressive tone members of majorities always use toward minorities who threaten them. I'd like to get past this us vs. them stuff (and I realize I didn't do a very good job of that with the fat/old/SUV comments above...safety rule #1: cool down before you touch a computer. Sorry.), but I'm not sure what the best way to open their minds might be. I like DX-MAN's suggestions, though -- depending on the exact modulation of the "meaningful look," that could do a lot.
Old 02-18-10, 10:04 PM
vettefrc2000

Bikes: 1976 Fuji America 1980 Fuji America 1984 Fuji America TS V 1982 Fuji Royale II 1993 Trek 970 1997 Trek 5000 2004 Trek Calypso 2007 Trek Portland 2008 Surly LTH

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thank you.
Old 02-18-10, 10:39 PM
iforgotmename

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife tells me to be careful all the time. I tell her noit's our inside joke. In my opinion most people would be afraid to ride in traffic. Maybe that is the reason for the be safe comment. No one other than someone who knows and cares about my safety has told me to be safe. It is also a common salutation in the construction trades and to that I never take offense.
Old 02-18-10, 11:25 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by randya
it's like they think they know something you don't know

Yep, and it's these folks that I like to try to enlighten. Last night I had a young lady in our office give me the "be safe" line, given with a tone of grave concern. I explained how many times I’ve safely completed my commute, and that sometimes even people in cars get killed. This morning she asked how the ride was and said I see that you made it!

Since she seemed genuinely concerned for my safety, I sent her a well thought out email thanking her for her concern and explained the many precautions I take, and how I spent time researching how to stay safe in traffic. I even included a link to the bikesafe web site.

I didn't receive a reply before I left so maybe now she's certain that I'm a nut!
Old 02-19-10, 12:03 AM
bhop

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My coworkers tell me 'ride safe' all the time when I leave. I always tell them 'drive safe' back. No big deal.. I don't think they're looking down on me in any way, just concerned friends. L.A. can be dangerous for bicycles, but the same goes for other vehicles too. Just the other day I saw a motorcycle get hit in front of me by a u-turner.. he was ok, but his bike was wrecked.
Old 02-19-10, 12:22 AM
ro-monster

Bikes: Pacific Reach, Strida

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by oldbluebike
I used to be a biker of the Motorcycle kind. That is not an uncommon thing for one biker to say to another. I have not heard it in the bicycle arena but probably would not think much about it.
Yes! "Ride safe!" is a common way to say goodbye to another motorcyclist. Riders don't say that to be patronizing, they're just wishing you a happy and uneventful ride. So if someone says it to me when I'm on my bicycle I just say, "You too!" I sometimes say "Drive safe!" to friends getting into their cars; I don't see how it's different from that.
Old 02-19-10, 01:30 AM
tran_man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If someone tells you something like "be safe out there" what's wrong with just saying thanks or ignoring them? The hard thing to understand is taking any type of insult to a simple statement. So what if you have all the training in the world or are an instructor of whatever? How about some training in just common courtesy? This thread OBVIOUSLY means "I am so great because I ride my bicycle and people shouldn't wish me well so I go onto a forum to complain about it." Just come out and tell everyone why you really posted. Like many have already pointed out, a simple "thank you" should suffice. If you want to read I to it, do it on your ride to wherever you're going.

I tell people to be safe all the time. It's like saying, "nice bike!" but to you it would probably mean "I think what you are doing is dangerous and I want your bicycle to get smashed by an SUV."
Old 02-19-10, 08:17 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
^
A&S newbie about to meet A&S meat grinder.

-Kurt

Old 02-19-10, 08:56 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
Why presume that they are assuming that you are engaged in a dangerous activity? My landlord is always telling me to be safe when he sees me take off.
I think it's safe to make that assumption, given that I get this line a lot when I'm getting on my bike, but I have NEVER heard "have a safe drive home" when I was getting into my car.

I just say "Thanks, you too"
Old 02-19-10, 12:26 PM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, see, I don't actually think they do mean well. I mean, some people surely do, but those aren't the people I'm talking about. The fact that so many people here recognized what I was talking about suggests to me that I'm not just imagining this stuff. It's the same kind of passive-aggressive tone members of majorities always use toward minorities who threaten them. I'd like to get past this us vs. them stuff (and I realize I didn't do a very good job of that with the fat/old/SUV comments above...safety rule #1: cool down before you touch a computer. Sorry.), but I'm not sure what the best way to open their minds might be. I like DX-MAN's suggestions, though -- depending on the exact modulation of the "meaningful look," that could do a lot.
As you know, your evaluation of the well wishers as motivated by some sort of hidden hostility exists only in your head. In any event, your response is controlled not others but by you. I suggest responding in a way that not only reflects the person you are but also the one you would like to become.

For me that means something like, "Thank you. Have a fine day yourself."

For you, that might mean having cards ready with details of your next LAB course.
Old 02-19-10, 12:52 PM
ghettocruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
I think it's safe to make that assumption, given that I get this line a lot when I'm getting on my bike, but I have NEVER heard "have a safe drive home" when I was getting into my car.
Seriously? I say that to people all the time. They never look weirded-out.
Old 02-19-10, 12:57 PM
Kotts
Recreational Commuter

Bikes: One brand-less build-up, and a Connondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra Disc. A nicer bike than I need, but it was a good deal, so... ;-)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gitarzan
And even if they mean it as an insult, there's no upside in being insulted, and no downside as taking it as genuine concern.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.