Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Sturmey Archer LH Dome Nut?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-11, 10:54 AM
Hazen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Working on getting my fiancee's 650b conversion setup. Rear wheel has a Sturmey Archer S-RF3. Everything went on pretty smoothly except I have this dome nut for the left hand rear axle. The thing is this dome nut is not threaded. How the heck are you supposed to install it?
Old 09-25-11, 11:15 AM
garage sale GT
Banned

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Hazen
Working on getting my fiancee's 650b conversion setup. Rear wheel has a Sturmey Archer S-RF3. Everything went on pretty smoothly except I have this dome nut for the left hand rear axle. The thing is this dome nut is not threaded. How the heck are you supposed to install it?
Mistakes happen. Buy a new one. I saw a nut which had not been threaded recently. I think Harriscyclery.net has Sturmey Archer parts.
Old 09-25-11, 11:21 AM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
If it's new, I'd contact SA and tell them about it. They'll likely just send you one. I've heard that they have pretty good customer service and know they respond pretty quickly to emails based on personal experience.
Likes For photogravity:
Old 09-25-11, 11:28 AM
Hazen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, it is brand new. That's what I was afraid of is that it just didn't get threaded. Not a show ender just annoying. I'll get with S-A and see what they say.
Old 02-02-21, 09:39 PM
DanBikeFan

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
Resurrecting this thread to say this just happened to me as well. Incredibly annoying, since I was really second-guessing myself as to whether I was installing it wrong. If it weren't for this thread, I would have thought I was making some installation error. Mine was the S-RF3, black, 32H from Handsome Cycles. It seems this manufacturing issue has been a problem for at least 10 years!
Old 02-03-21, 06:52 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by DanBikeFan
Resurrecting this thread to say this just happened to me as well. Incredibly annoying, since I was really second-guessing myself as to whether I was installing it wrong. If it weren't for this thread, I would have thought I was making some installation error. Mine was the S-RF3, black, 32H from Handsome Cycles. It seems this manufacturing issue has been a problem for at least 10 years!
I wouldn't call two known cases in 10 years a manufacturing problem. I occasionally find Sapim nipples which I get in bags of 1,000 pieces that didn't have the hole drilled through. I've probably seen less than a half dozen of them over a number of years, but I just file that under things happen.
Old 02-03-21, 07:30 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Just hammer it on and forget about it. /s
Old 02-03-21, 07:59 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
Just hammer it on and forget about it. /s
and use some Loctite!

Once I bought a threaded bolt that refused to take its nut. I double checked thread pitch and diameter, which were ok. Finally I tried following the threads with my fingernail only to find that they were not ramped. In other words, I had the bolt equivalent of a ring-shank nail.