Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Tyre recommendations for new Cannondale Cujo 2

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-24, 01:18 AM
lukeforster2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Hi everyone,

I have just recently bought a 2021 Cannondale Cujo 2 second hand for a very good price as it has hardly been used (£220 - where as new they are £1000+)

I understand it is a mountain bike, but I will be using it alot on the roads - and after first impressions, it is terrible and hard work on the roads with the stock WTB Ranger Comp, 27.5 x 2.8 tyres.

I was thinking about changing the tyres for something more suitable for the road but also something that will perform well offroad and on trials (if this is possible - I am uneducated on the subject). I have seen online people recommend going tubeless - which I want to avoid because I feel as though this could get messy? I have always used inner tubes so when a puncture arises it is easy to change or fix.

My question is then do you have any recommendations for a better tyre and/or can you enlighten me on tubeless riding and how this would benefit me - if at all.

Cheers
Old 04-06-24, 09:39 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4388 Post(s)
Liked 4,025 Times in 2,688 Posts
So that bike is a mountain bike used for off road, great deal on it (assuming it wasn't previously stolen and re-sold) but not a road machine. Riding on the road with it is going to be slower and less efficient. There are some wider road tires and some wider gravel tires but for mountain biking these would not be great.

For trials they typically use a different bike entirely very almost like a BMX bike with no saddle and very powerful disc brakes designed more for a non-moving position rather than slowing down as you don't really pick up speed doing trials but you want something light and easy to jump around with it is a very specialized hobby.

I suspect maybe you meant trails (but I know trials is popular across the pond and don't want to not give all the info) and if mountain biking trails you want good mountain biking tires and not road or gravel tires. If you are trying to do both with one tire then your best bet is to look for something for hardpack trails. Obviously it won't be great on the road and won't be great in looser muddy conditions but it will probably bridge the gap the best.
WTB makes decent tires, for me it would probably be Schwalbe, Continental, Maxxis, Vittoria. Though currently I am running some lovely Michelin tires but they are more of a loose muddy terrain tire.

You might consider keeping this as a mountain bike and getting a hybrid for road and gravel usage because it is hard for one bike to do everything.
Old 04-06-24, 12:30 PM
lukeforster2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
So that bike is a mountain bike used for off road, great deal on it (assuming it wasn't previously stolen and re-sold) but not a road machine. Riding on the road with it is going to be slower and less efficient. There are some wider road tires and some wider gravel tires but for mountain biking these would not be great.

For trials they typically use a different bike entirely very almost like a BMX bike with no saddle and very powerful disc brakes designed more for a non-moving position rather than slowing down as you don't really pick up speed doing trials but you want something light and easy to jump around with it is a very specialized hobby.

I suspect maybe you meant trails (but I know trials is popular across the pond and don't want to not give all the info) and if mountain biking trails you want good mountain biking tires and not road or gravel tires. If you are trying to do both with one tire then your best bet is to look for something for hardpack trails. Obviously it won't be great on the road and won't be great in looser muddy conditions but it will probably bridge the gap the best.
WTB makes decent tires, for me it would probably be Schwalbe, Continental, Maxxis, Vittoria. Though currently I am running some lovely Michelin tires but they are more of a loose muddy terrain tire.

You might consider keeping this as a mountain bike and getting a hybrid for road and gravel usage because it is hard for one bike to do everything.
Thanks for the reply, Yes i meant trails...

Do you think going tubeless would improve my situation with normal mtb tyres?
Old 04-06-24, 11:14 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4388 Post(s)
Liked 4,025 Times in 2,688 Posts
Originally Posted by lukeforster2002
Thanks for the reply, Yes i meant trails...

Do you think going tubeless would improve my situation with normal mtb tyres?
No worries, happy to help. I figured as such but wanted to cover all the bases as it were.

Tubeless will help with pinch flats and smaller holes and such it won't really change anything for riding on the road. It gives you the option to run lower pressures without issues but on the road you would probably want a little higher pressure than you would off road. I think it is a great thing but to be honest I haven't yet done it to any of my bikes but I have a whole bunch of them and some I may not ride for a while so I don't want to deal with potential sealant leaks from it sitting for a month or maybe more which if used often or kept up on with pressure won't be an issue but I know I will forget to pump or something like that. Though I may end up doing it down the road.