Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Bike Dilemma, I can't decide between two different bikes

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-14, 02:04 PM
Strider88

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I should preface this comment by saying that I am just returning to cycling after a very long absence (easily 10 years at least). I am 25 and I'm looking into purchasing a quality bicycle without necessarily breaking the bank. I have done some research on two bikes that I have it narrowed down to. I don't know if it's paralysis by analysis, but I just can't pull the trigger on one of these. The two bikes I'm between are the: Giant Escape 3 and the Diamondback Trance. Both bikes are at a similar price point and are lower model bikes, although the Giant bike is from a LBS and would have a year of maintenance included with the purchase and the Diamondback would be purchased from Dick's Sporting Goods. I think this maintenance difference also has a bearing on which one I should choose. If anyone could provide some insight to which one is the better of the two and worth the purchase it would be greatly because I am still very new to a lot of specs and different components on these bikes!

Newbie in trouble!
Old 07-08-14, 02:18 PM
camjr

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Liked 446 Times in 147 Posts
They are somewhat different styles. The DB that competes most closely with the Giant Escape is the Diamonback Insight-also available at Dicks Sporting Goods. The Trace has more of a mountain bike frame and wider tires similar to the Giant Roam, although the pictures appear to show a straight fork rather than a suspension fork. You might try the Insight so you are comparing apples to apples. I tried the Escape and DB Insight out when I bought my Fuji Absolute.

If all things are equal after riding both to see how they feel and you are still torn between the two, I would suggest buying from your LBS and establish a relationship with them. Also, you can't discount how they look and appeal to you either. The 2015 Giant Escape 3 I saw earlier on the hybrid forum was a sharp looking bike!

Be sure to circle back with the result of your search!
Old 07-08-14, 02:22 PM
NormanF

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
The Marin Muirwoods 29er allows to you to both have a hybrid and a mountain bike in one bike.

Its stock tires are fast on the street and thanks to the 29er platform, you could throw on a pair of knobbies and hit off-road singletrack.

You don't have to buy two separate bikes to navigate the streets and fire roads.
Old 07-08-14, 05:48 PM
Raivyn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Other than a frame warranty, shiny new parts, and convenience, I don't think there is much benefit from buying a new low-end bike vs. a used better bike off of CL. I recommend buying a bike from CL and riding it around for a bit before spending $$$ on a low-end bike. There are plenty of Giants, Treks, Specialized, Diamondbacks, etc. on CL that are in great condition and easily 20-50% off retail and only a year - 5 years old. I bought a Trek FX 7.3 for $175 (retail $600) that had been ridden a total of 35 miles and was in near perfect condition. I also bought a Giant Boulder for $115, but rode it for a few weeks and decided it didn't meet my needs, so I resold it on CL for $135.

If the bike needs maintenance, and hopefully it won't, the money you saved can go towards that. This will allow you the opportunity to hone in on your riding style, educate yourself on the specs/components and what those are worth to you, and when you have that figured out, you can sell the bike for close to what you paid back on CL and buy a bike that you can know with confidence is the right bike for your needs. I think that is more cost effective than spending $500 on a bike but not being sure about what really works for you and running the risk of choosing the wrong bike for you.
Old 07-08-14, 06:29 PM
Strider88

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks so much for your feedback everyone! It has been helpful! While I agree that the Craigslist route could prove to be the better option, I have looked the past few weeks and there really isn't anything in my area. I've also checked out some local bike shops in my area for their used bike selection and none have had much there either.
Old 07-09-14, 03:12 AM
Strider88

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I apologize in advance for the double post, but I did need to add I have looked at other bikes more along the hybrid line that may be more comparable to the Giant Escape 3. I also checked out the Jamis Allegro sport and Jamis coda. However, these would be a higher price point than the two earlier in the thread. I also have to add that most of my riding will be on paved streets/sidewalks and trails really not much if any off road or dirt trails. I don't think I would need anything closer to a mountain bike style. What are opinions on the two Jamis bikes? Are they much better than the Giant or diamondback? I have test rode all and comfort wise they are pretty similar. I guess I'm more concerned with durability, as I will use it for some commuting (about 22 miles round trip) and some riding for exercise as well with my fiancé. All help is appreciated! Thanks!