Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Full Fat Trike evaluation?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-23, 06:10 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts

I'd like to hear from anyone who rides an ICE Full Fat trike. I've been told that it's great for sand and snow, but other trikes are better suited for more common off pavement surfaces, such as dirt and gravel. The Full Fat was described by my trike dealer as "sluggish".

The reason I ask is that I came across a Full Fat, almost new, for a very reasonable price. My current trike is an ICE Sprint X Tour, which is a very fast and sporty, paved road ride, but I need something for the mountain gravel roads on which I used to ride my Plus bike (back in my two wheel riding days). I don't really question my trike dealer's bias, because his first recommendation was for me to install wider tires for riding the rough stuff, rather than buy a snow and sand rider that would be disappointing and slow. He said IF I decided that I needed a second trike, probably the ICE Adventure would be a much better choice.

Any other advice out there? Thanks.
Old 07-17-23, 03:43 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 410 Posts
I can't help but if it where me the answer would be looking at the specs, do I need 10" of ground clearance or 6", monster knobby Jumbo Jim fat bike tires for sand and ice or just typical gravel and dirt tires, etc.
Old 07-17-23, 03:45 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
How do you plan to get it to the gravel road? What is the weight of the trike that you will need to be able to lift?
Old 07-20-23, 07:20 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts, folks. I have heard no one say that I will love the FF. I'm over it now.

Last edited by DeadGrandpa; 07-20-23 at 07:25 PM.