Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2024.1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2024.1

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-24, 04:25 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,185 Times in 2,226 Posts

Yay, my training readiness is finally not a 1. My HRV is still super low though, not sure why that is. According to garmin I am either stressed or super fatigued. I don’t feel like either of these things.
Old 02-22-24, 04:38 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
I just want to be faster than everyone else around me, I train for the races but know I will never podium. Atleast on in road, I think I could in longer gravel rides. Crits, I don’t stand a chance. I don’t have the situational awareness, nor do I have the lack of abandonment it takes to win. I can’t afford to crash so going all out in a sprint to finish isn’t going to happen.
I’ll never do better than top third in mostly every event I do. I can’t hand with guys pushing 21mph average on a course that climbs 125 feet per mile over 60 miles.

There’s one event I do where I probably would have snuck into the top ten (age group) last year if I wasn’t a nice person. Guy crashed right in front of me end over end. Probably spent 10 minutes helping him out and waiting for the fire department to get there and make sure he was okay.

I’d never do a crit, I’m plenty confident in my own handling abilities but don’t trust others. It’s why I also only do group rides with people I know.
A friend of mine had his hip shattered 2 summers ago because some guy wasn’t paying attention and took him out- only makes me feel more this way.
Old 02-22-24, 05:14 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
There's more to life than cutting grass.
As if the grass were greener on...the.....nevermind......
Old 02-22-24, 05:17 AM
ls01
he said member

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
I haven't mowed in months.
Denial.. first sign of addiction. In the right place.
Old 02-22-24, 05:20 AM
ls01
he said member

I'm not a 14-year-old girl. I came of age before social media. I know what's going on and am not controlled by dopamine hits.
he can quit whenever he wants
Old 02-22-24, 06:24 AM
ls01
he said member

Originally Posted by rjones28
Hidden trip wire. Seems like someone indented to inflict harm.
it actually has ribbon(s?) Tied to it. But Yeah its a Richard move.
Old 02-22-24, 06:43 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3361 Post(s)
Liked 3,638 Times in 1,244 Posts
Had my closest call in my entire bike riding career last night.

I was on my road bike starting up a climb that begins at around 8% and then kicks up to 15%ish in the first third.

Very quiet road back behind a country club, and I look up after switching my computer screen and see a car moving fairly slowly but also crossing the centerline in to my lane. My thoughts went like this:

Probably just a small deviation...

Maybe they’re making an unnecessarily wide swing out to make a right hand turn in to a driveway...

They’re still coming...

Is this person actually trying to hit me?

As they got closer and closer it didn’t appear that the rate of change laterally was getting any higher, so I sped up as much as I could to shoot the gap between the car and what was left between it and the curb fully preparing to hop over the curb and bail in the bushes when they made a sudden correction.

Their window was open and I saw them give a half-assed “oh sorry my bad” wave while holding their phone in their other hand unlocked as I rode by and shouted “what the ****?”

I wish I would have screamed louder or smacked their mirror closed but I was just so shocked at what was happening.

This all happened at a closing speed of probably 25mph but I’m still very grateful I didn’t go up on the hood of a car last night.

I’m just hoping they didn’t mow down the other cyclist I had just passed going the opposite direction.

Everyone else on the road was driving like absolute idiots, too. I’ve never seen it this bad. My best guess is that it had to do with it being 5:30-6:00 and folks were focused only on getting home as fast as possible. I've only started riding after work over the previous fall and winter - sticking to the MUP and the local mountain which are usually drama free. Well, aside from the usual MUP idiocy.
Old 02-22-24, 06:55 AM
ls01
he said member

I like the structured training on zwift. Recently I did the (can't remember it's name) 80 min 2x20 @ ftp sweet mother of suffering! Bam, I recommend this one for your frustration enjoyment. What a workout! Fantastic! Absolutely brutal! I use it as a "negative" hold as longcas possible. Let erg release. Ride till my heart rate comes down. Reaquire erg mode and repeat. Its awesome how good my legs feel the next day. If I can keep this up till the rides start this could be the year I break the 40 mph barrier.
Likes For ls01:
Old 02-22-24, 07:01 AM
ls01
he said member

Abshipp, yikes! Hey at least they kinda apologized/admitted fault. Here, you could have been on the front lawn of your home and it still would have been your fault. Glad your o.k.
Likes For ls01:
Old 02-22-24, 08:01 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Got a text from a neighbor back home. “We had hail last night. Your house has damage. Your siding is full of holes.”

Old 02-22-24, 08:06 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Got a text from a neighbor back home. “We had hail last night. Your house has damage. Your siding is full of holes.”
Oh crap! Hope it's minor damage.
Old 02-22-24, 08:07 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11971 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Everyone else on the road was driving like absolute idiots, too. I’ve never seen it this bad. My best guess is that it had to do with it being 5:30-6:00 and folks were focused only on getting home as fast as possible. I've only started riding after work over the previous fall and winter - sticking to the MUP and the local mountain which are usually drama free. Well, aside from the usual MUP idiocy.
Evening rush hours are always bad. Morning rush hour between 8:45 and 9:15 is the absolute worst.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 02-22-24, 08:07 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13714 Post(s)
Liked 4,531 Times in 2,507 Posts
Had my closest call in my entire bike riding career last night.

I was on my road bike starting up a climb that begins at around 8% and then kicks up to 15%ish in the first third.

Very quiet road back behind a country club, and I look up after switching my computer screen and see a car moving fairly slowly but also crossing the centerline in to my lane. My thoughts went like this:

Probably just a small deviation...

Maybe they’re making an unnecessarily wide swing out to make a right hand turn in to a driveway...

They’re still coming...

Is this person actually trying to hit me?

As they got closer and closer it didn’t appear that the rate of change laterally was getting any higher, so I sped up as much as I could to shoot the gap between the car and what was left between it and the curb fully preparing to hop over the curb and bail in the bushes when they made a sudden correction.

Their window was open and I saw them give a half-assed “oh sorry my bad” wave while holding their phone in their other hand unlocked as I rode by and shouted “what the ****?”

I wish I would have screamed louder or smacked their mirror closed but I was just so shocked at what was happening.

This all happened at a closing speed of probably 25mph but I’m still very grateful I didn’t go up on the hood of a car last night.

I’m just hoping they didn’t mow down the other cyclist I had just passed going the opposite direction.

Yikes!
Likes For rjones28:
Old 02-22-24, 08:08 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13714 Post(s)
Liked 4,531 Times in 2,507 Posts
Old 02-22-24, 08:10 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11971 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Major bummer! Hope its not too bad and hope it’s covered by insurance.
Old 02-22-24, 08:40 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
Glad you're OK abshipp, close call. And great Mt. Hamilton photos terrymorse!
Likes For TMonk:
Old 02-22-24, 09:04 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Guy rode at 42F in shorts and short sleeves?
Having done the Hamilton climb at about that temp, I can tell you it'll keep you plenty warm, and it can be a better idea to strip down for the climb and carry your cold weather clothing rather than wearing it, so it won't be soaked for the descent, which can also be cold but is also fast.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 02-22-24, 09:15 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Since moving to the new office, which is maybe a quarter of a mile from Alameda de las Pulgas, which is the street that leads to Crystal Springs, which leads to all the cycling Nirvana, I considered riding from work, rather than driving over to Canada Rd to ride. But I know what drivers are like at that time of day, both on Alameda and Crystal Springs. There's a lot more traffic in San Mateo than there is in Woodside and Portola Valley, on narrower roads. So, once again, I decided "I'm too old for this ****" and I stick with "drive tor ride".

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-22-24, 09:21 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Document, document, document the damage, time of storm, and size of hail. Someone in your neighborhood has pictures of the hail if it was big enough to leave holes.

I fought for a year with State Farm to get a roof replaced. SF and all the other major insurers are just denying hail claims outright, and making you fight through the process. Pay attention to the appraisal provisions in your policy.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 02-22-24, 09:22 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11403 Post(s)
Liked 4,761 Times in 2,770 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Evening rush hours are always bad. Morning rush hour between 8:45 and 9:15 is the absolute worst.
The morning ride is generally incident free for me. I leave the house around six, and it seems idiots don't roll out of bed until later, for which I'm thankful. My ride home can certainly be full of adventure, and that I can live without. Or maybe I won't live through it, and Mrs. LAJ will then be rich.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 02-22-24, 09:24 AM
LAJ
So it is

That sucks, abshipp Need to get the camera's rolling. Video proof is all the rage now.
Old 02-22-24, 09:25 AM
LAJ
So it is

Originally Posted by Mojo31
Document, document, document the damage, time of storm, and size of hail. Someone in your neighborhood has pictures of the hail if it was big enough to leave holes.

I fought for a year with State Farm to get a roof replaced. SF and all the other major insurers are just denying hail claims outright, and making you fight through the process. Pay attention to the appraisal provisions in your policy.
And kick the fly-by-night's off your porch when they come to your door.
Old 02-22-24, 09:54 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28622 Post(s)
Liked 1,858 Times in 1,320 Posts
Everyone else on the road was driving like absolute idiots, too.
It's a real problem. I got a bit nervous just walking recently when an oncoming dumb dumb came well over onto my side of the road.
Likes For Velo Vol:
Old 02-22-24, 10:00 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
During my walking commutes to work - mornings are way more chill. I think people's start times are more variable, and people are more fresh / energized. Walking home at 5 - I have to be a bit vigilant/assertive crossing intersections with drivers trying to make right turns. Way more busy, way more impatient.
Old 02-22-24, 10:06 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
I’ve got pics from the neighbor. I’ve already notified my insurance and solar company. I never had any trouble 6 years ago with State Farm. In fact, they found and covered damage that I had no idea that I had.

Likes For Trsnrtr:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.