Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hello from Boston MA!

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Hello from Boston MA!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-24, 12:47 PM
penlu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hello from Boston MA!

The sticky asks: What do you ride? I'm currently riding a "Raleigh Triumph", as in a bike apparently made by Raleigh from a line that is apparently called "triumph". [edit to add: and it's a sport touring bike which is what's weird!] This is strange to me because I couldn't find such a line in any uploaded Raleigh catalog. It's very old, but I'm not sure how old, and I'd like to know. I posted in Classic & Vintage asking about the bike, if you'd like to see more information. Unfortunately I can't link to the post because I'm new.

The sticky asks: How long have you been riding? I rode a kiddie bike as a kiddie, didn't ride a bike at all for many years, and then started biking to work occasionally perhaps 5 years ago. About 3 months ago I learned that "wattage" was a relevant measurement, fell into the rabbit hole of training info, and have gotten a lot faster. I am still very slow.

Last edited by penlu; 04-22-24 at 02:45 PM.
Likes For penlu:
Old 04-22-24, 02:15 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 789 Posts
Welcome from a former Bostonian! (Okay, South Shore, but pretty danged close. Right over the Neponset River Bridge.)
Triumph bicycles was bought by Raleigh in 1954, and the Raleigh Triumph line of bicycles were still sold for many years.
Old 04-22-24, 02:31 PM
penlu

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hi Paul! That's not too far by bike!

Thanks for the info! My impression was that the Raleigh Triumph line is supposed to look like a typical Dutch bike -- with swept handlebars, fenders, chain guard, and rear rack. Mine is unlike this -- it's a ten speed sport touring bike. Perhaps my impression of what a Raleigh Triumph looks like is wrong, or it evolved over time??
Old 04-23-24, 05:46 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 490 Posts
Hello and welcome. Someone in C&V will know about your Triumph, so just keep posting and asking questions, and when you get to 10 posts, you can post photos. I'm from Boston, and it is a good place to ride. Maybe with the exception of Charlestown/Everett.

Old 04-23-24, 06:21 PM
penlu

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
I'm from Boston, and it is a good place to ride. Maybe with the exception of Charlestown/Everett.
It's been beautiful lately with all the trees blooming!

What goes wrong in Charlestown/Everett? I haven't yet attempted to bike much there. Closest I've been is along the Mystic River.

edit to add: I've considered getting to the airport by bike, but haven't collected the courage to do so!
Likes For penlu:
Old 04-24-24, 10:44 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by penlu
It's been beautiful lately with all the trees blooming!

What goes wrong in Charlestown/Everett? I haven't yet attempted to bike much there. Closest I've been is along the Mystic River.

edit to add: I've considered getting to the airport by bike, but haven't collected the courage to do so!
Lots of stuff on the road. I think its from trucks entering and exiting Rt93 from Medford, Revere, etc. Just make sure your tires have puncture-protection. The airport? You'd have to take your bike onto the Blue Line. Riding through the tunnel is prohibited.

Old 04-24-24, 09:42 PM
penlu

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
My impression is that there is a way to cycle from Boston to the airport, passing through Cambridge, Charlestown, and Everett -- which is why I recalled the notion. Truck traffic doesn't sound so appealing!