Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

are you faster with a backpack vs. pannier?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

are you faster with a backpack vs. pannier?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-10, 03:40 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by referee54
--and the panniers kept bumping into the heels of my cycling shoes..
Fixed by:
1) Setting the panniers farther back on the rack,
2) Using a rack with more setback, or
3) Using a bike with longer chainstays and is intended for carrying panniers.

There's also option D, which is a set of panniers that can be set at an angle. I saw a sales rep at my LBS showing them off, but I forget what brand they were.

Point is, for every problem we encounter, somebody else with engineering and marketing savvy has come up with a solution and is selling it.
Old 07-18-10, 06:08 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
Fixed by:

There's also option D, which is a set of panniers that can be set at an angle. I saw a sales rep at my LBS showing them off, but I forget what brand they were.

Point is, for every problem we encounter, somebody else with engineering and marketing savvy has come up with a solution and is selling it.
That's why some people engineer and sell backpacks.

Seriously, my panniers have a stiff plastic backing plate that the mounting hooks are attached to. By moving the hooks down and forward, I was able to get the panniers back and up far enough to eliminate heel strike.
Old 07-18-10, 07:11 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 379 Posts
I mount my pannier as far back as I can on the rack, behind the first crossbar with the forward clip, and the rear clip at the back edge of the rack so it all stays put and is still supported.
Old 07-18-10, 08:06 PM
referee54

Bikes: Just a Raleigh C-200 with many upgrades

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fixed by:

Here is the deal. I have only one bike in my "stable"---it has to do all things. I bought a Giant Rapid, and the chain stay is shorter, so my panniers kept hitting my heels. I could not do suggestion 1---I tried it, to no avail. As for suggestion 2, I was happy with the rack that I have, and the very nice trunk rack, as well. And, in regards to suggestion 3, I am not about to go out and spend more money on another bike---right now, my budget is directed at other endeavors. I also was tired of taking the panniers off when I wanted to go out on the Ohio Canal Towpath or riding with my wife---so, I simply bought a nice backpack. Problem solved.

While I am not an engineer, (I teach English, Speech, Debate, and Cinema), I do believe I solved my problem in the best manner FOR ME.

Besides, am 55 and have had bilateral knee replacements. I feel that I am faster with the backpack, but speed ---well, when you are 55, that, to me, is not my primary mission; enjoying the commute or the ride, is.

Tim C.

Last edited by referee54; 07-18-10 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-18-10, 10:56 PM
spock
Peripheral Visionary

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Using the backpack strengthened my riding position. It builds muscle in your back. When I get sweaty, the layer of sweat that is in the shirt between the back and a backpack acts as a cooler. Kinda like the car radiator. Not to mention manoeuvrability benefits. It does get uncomfortable at times, but who ever said being comfortable = good. As far as speed goes, Yup, speedier.

Last edited by spock; 07-18-10 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-18-10, 11:18 PM
Commodus

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by spock
Using the backpack strengthened my riding position. It builds muscle in your back. When I get sweaty, the layer of sweat that is in the shirt between the back and a backpack acts as a cooler. Kinda like the car radiator. Not to mention manoeuvrability benefits. It does get uncomfortable at times, but who ever said being comfortable = good. As far as speed goes, Yup, faster.
Is this meant to be a serious post?

I think you just listed all of the reasons why not to wear a backpack...but somehow made them out to be positive.
Old 07-18-10, 11:22 PM
spock
Peripheral Visionary

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Commodus
Is this meant to be a serious post?

I think you just listed all of the reasons why not to wear a backpack...but somehow made them out to be positive.
Yes, sometimes negatives lead to positives. Like I said, confort is not all it's cracked out to be.
Old 07-19-10, 09:05 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Topeak trunk bag (with or without built in drop down panniers) on a Topeak rack is the best solution. Nothing on your back, and the bag slides off the rack easily to carry with a shoulder strap or handle. No heel strike issues and it's aero since it sits on top of the rack behind your legs. I use the non-pannier version, and in the cooler seasons with a warmer ride home, I bungee a stuff sack on top of the trunk bag with whatever extra clothes don't fit into the trunk bag.

However, it must be said that the OPs engine probably needs work.
Old 07-19-10, 09:41 AM
benjamindgrant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in hosuton so this wouldn't apply to all but definitely the extra sweat that you generate from keeping a backpack on isn't very fun. I use paniers mainly -- but sometimes i do throw my backpack on and do notice I *can* go quicker.. but over a long distance don't and it bother my back a bit... just my two cents
Old 07-19-10, 10:08 AM
mommus

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Rock Hopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you've got a pannier rack, can you not just bungee-cord your backpack to the top of the rack? thereby eliminating most of the problem drag?

I'm actually surprised I don't see more commuters doing this. most seeming to prefer the single sided pannier or, like me, a backpack. I really only use a backpack for convenience though, as I hate the sweaty back issue.
Old 07-19-10, 11:25 AM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mommus
if you've got a pannier rack, can you not just bungee-cord your backpack to the top of the rack? thereby eliminating most of the problem drag?
Not normally, because backpacks tend to be big, floppy, and have extra straps dangling around - which are not what you want in a trunk bag or pannier. They don't stay put very well, and the straps can work loose from under the bag and get caught in the wheel or drivetrain. Bungee cords also let a bag bounce just enough to unsecure itself after a while.

The best way to contain a backpack on a rack is with a basket or milk crate.
Old 07-19-10, 11:27 AM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by referee54
Here is the deal. I have only one bike in my "stable"---it has to do all things. I bought a Giant Rapid, and the chain stay is shorter, so my panniers kept hitting my heels.
So... You bought the wrong bike.
Old 07-19-10, 12:15 PM
Justin J

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the replies, didn’t realize it was such a hot topic. I rode about 30 miles this weekend, which is about 3x the length of my commute, one-way. Rode about 12 miles round trip to an REI, with a backpack on, to test out different bikes (Surly LHT, a Clubman, and two Novara road-ish bikes). Then I went out riding again later in the evening with nothing on me or the bike. Here are my conclusions:

1. A backpack is not for everyone, and can ruin the fun of the ride. Other posts talked about the urge to just get the dang thing off, and that’s the camp I fall into.

2. My pannier only slows me down a tiny bit. It’s so negligible as to not even be a factor…. EXEPT IN THE WIND. When a cross or head wind really kicks up, I’m screwed. I just have to take it down to a leisurely crawl and not let it affect my mood. It might actually be an advantage in a tail wind, if I ever catch one I’ll let you know. Unfortunately the afternoon summer winds in Colorado blow from three directions at once… man I can’t wait for winter when its cold and still.

3. It ain’t the bike, it’s the engine. As true in this thread as it is in countless others. Adding commuting to my exercise routine has already exceeded my fitness goals that I struggled to achieve by just jogging on the treadmill. I need to be more patient and realize that being in true “cycling shape” takes more than a couple months.

4. The laptop is kinduva wild card. The only non-backpack set-up that I trust is having it in a protective sleeve, and then in the Ortlieb Office Bag pannier so it hangs vertically. With the rest of the clothes and rain gear in the bag, the laptop is secure enough that I can do this every day without risk of damage (knock on wood). Otherwise, I’d probably do a backpack with a truck basket as my daily set-up.

Miscellaneous notes: gotta love a bike with disc brakes and fenders! Most of the evening showers have been after I’m home from my commute, but I got caught in a good down-poor yesterday. It stopped by time I had to transition from the bike path to the streets, but the bike lane and gutters were still running with water. I however, made it home clean and dry, and had all the stopping power I needed at intersections or sketchy situations. Brilliant! Even after I go pro, I’m still gonna roll with fenders and discs.
Old 07-19-10, 01:30 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Justin J
My pannier only slows me down a tiny bit. It’s so negligible as to not even be a factor…. EXEPT IN THE WIND. When a cross or head wind really kicks up, I’m screwed. I just have to take it down to a leisurely crawl and not let it affect my mood.
Let me tell ya, even on my road bike and while wearing form-fitting poseur cycling kit, headwinds STILL suck.
Old 07-19-10, 04:43 PM
horaceunit

Bikes: Trek 7100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am in the minority here for sure. I can't stand paniers, and can't imagine using anything but a backpack on my commute. The only things on the bike are a seat wedge bag for essentials (tools, extra tube, inflator), and a top tube bag for keys and wallet. I love to sweat when I ride- it lets me know I'm excercising, and I don't mind my back getting wet. Tried a messenger bag, and I really wasn't comfortable with it (even with a stability strap it still moved too much for me). Currently I use an REI Novara commuter backpack- https://www.rei.com/product/780465 and have just ordered a Banjo Brothers medium commuter pack-
https://www.banjobrothers.com/products/01150.php because I needed something a bit bigger.
Old 07-19-10, 06:15 PM
Roger M 
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by horaceunit
I am in the minority here for sure. I can't stand paniers, and can't imagine using anything but a backpack on my commute. The only things on the bike are a seat wedge bag for essentials (tools, extra tube, inflator), and a top tube bag for keys and wallet. I love to sweat when I ride- it lets me know I'm excercising, and I don't mind my back getting wet..
I agree.

I have ridden snowmobiles, bikes, motorcycles, and watercraft for many years.. and have always used a backpack. I have a small backpack and a medium-large as well. My small pack gets used 90 percent of the time and I have been using this same pack for about 16-17 years. It fits well and doesnt bother me even on 30plus mile rides. Both of my packs have the ability to haul a camel-back bladder, but I don't always pack one.

Until The backpack starts to make my ride painful, I won't be strapping Samsonite to my bikes.

To all the nay-sayers... Get a pack that fits and one that is comfortable.
Old 07-19-10, 06:44 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Not normally, because backpacks tend to be big, floppy, and have extra straps dangling around - which are not what you want in a trunk bag or pannier. They don't stay put very well, and the straps can work loose from under the bag and get caught in the wheel or drivetrain. Bungee cords also let a bag bounce just enough to unsecure itself after a while.

The best way to contain a backpack on a rack is with a basket or milk crate.
Then you're doing it wrong. The side with the straps face up while on the rack. But, yeah, not every backpack was meant to be worn while cycling or strapped to a rack.

I have a large Banjo Brothers backpack. When I decide I've got the time to actually put in some miles, I strap it to the rack:

Strap side up, then wrap the straps around each other to take up the slack. As my pack is of the roll-top variety (tear drop designs suck), I then fold the empty top part of the bag back onto itself- sort of like a taco. This also makes the reflective stripes that are the bag visible from the rear (or partially, anyway). It doesn't move when I bungee it down. But if the bag was full, I don't imagine to be able to do this, however. Then I'll just have to wear it.

Of course, I also just came into possession of one of those flat racks that vending machine companies use to lug their soda bottles around with. I'm going to attempt to install that on the rack, increase the surface area, and thus eliminate worrying about the backpack flopping about.
Old 07-19-10, 08:30 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 379 Posts
When I use my backpack on the rack I take the stretch cord and go across the top, then under the rack to the center stay, and then across the top and hook it onto the opposite side making a cross on top. I make sure that all straps are tucked under and also make sure the strap ends are tucked as well. I sometimes did it face up and sometimes face down. I never had any problem with this setup except that everything is inaccessible while it is strapped on and I put everything in the backpack. I did this for my first 3 months before I decided I wanted something else that was more convenient. The Knog bag works well as both messenger bag and pannier, has a protected laptop pocket, holds my clothes comfortably, and has lots of pockets. It easily adjusts so that my heel doesn't hit it too. The one thing I don't like is that the bottom waist strap doesn't work as a bottom anchor for the pannier. At least that strap is removable and I can probably find something that'll work better.
Old 07-20-10, 07:53 AM
tjspiel

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
It's been a couple of months since I last commuted with my messenger bag. My new and totally inappropriate for commuting tires came in the mail yesterday and I wanted to give them a good run. So for today I left the panniers at home. I even took off the rack. I didn't go quite so far as to don a jersey for my morning commute but I was tempted.

Yes it makes a difference. Accelerating from stops, sprinting or just putting your head down and going. Something a little interesting: I usually stand heading away from intersections. Having the extra weight on you instead of the bike at this point gives you some extra power, but I also seemed to get tired quicker while standing than I normally would. I had a hard ride late yesterday too so my legs were already a little tired and that might have had something to do with it.

Now, a lot of people don't ride like that while they commute. I don't want to get into a debate about how right or wrong any given riding style is. But whether you prefer backpacks or panniers I would guess is largely dictated by your riding style.
Old 07-20-10, 08:27 AM
d2create

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's the bike and the rider. Not the panniers vs backpack.
One thing that is slowing you down is that alfine hub. I know I'll get flamed for this but I installed an alfine for a very short period on my bike and it was noticeable slower by 2-3mph. Too much drag compared to a regular cassette. Maybe it would have eased up over time, but I really had to need for an internal hub gear setup in houston so I promptly went back to my pretty much maintenance free geared setup, and easier to change flats anyway.

But anyway, my point is there's lots of factors and the two biggest ones are the bike itself (setup, geometry, weight, etc) and the fitness level of the rider.

I wore my chrome messenger bag today instead of using panniers and I wasn't any faster. And I didn't sweat any more either but I'm in Houston and will be soaked from head to toe no matter what I do.
Old 07-20-10, 11:27 AM
Justin J

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by d2create
One thing that is slowing you down is that alfine hub. I know I'll get flamed for this but I installed an alfine for a very short period on my bike and it was noticeable slower by 2-3mph. Too much drag compared to a regular cassette.
ohhhhh, now you've gone and done it, haven't you.... lol. actually, your point is well taken. I worried that my limited testing of various bikes wasn't enough to reveal true differences with the IGH performance. REI suggested it as an option because I want to commute year-round and not hang it up for the winter. But I should have clarified that I won't actually be riding in the snow. Despite the misconception that our postcards create, Colorado isn't blanketed with snow for the winter months - it's usually just a few days at a time. (I have a friend who moved here from Chicago, and he grew up believing that Mile High Stadium was in the mountains)

Anyway, that Alfine 8 has its avantages and disavantages for sure. I'm already anticipating an upgrade to the 11 when it comes out, but that's only for the wider and more even gearing. I've got no idea if it has less drag than the 8, or if I'd even notice it if it did.
Old 07-20-10, 03:45 PM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've considered putting a bag on the bike, but I like having my stuff with me, and the backpack makes that easy. Plus, here in Phoenix, I will be pretty sweated up no matter whether I have the backpack on or not, and the pack has the added benefit of a constant source of hydration. I use a Camelbak, and having that tube available all the time for constant small drinks is the best and safest way in the heat. And it sure beats reaching down for a bottle, which is a long way on a 68cm bike.
Old 07-20-10, 04:12 PM
TwoHeadsBrewing
Wildflower Century

Bikes: Trek Soho, Fisher Aquila

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to have a tail trunk, which was OK for going to work and back but it was kind of a pain to install/remove each time I locked up my bike. Plus, it's kind of awkward to carry around and I imagine a pannier would be too, unless it had backpack straps. I now use a backpack, even though I ride in 100F weather, at least on the way home. I'm going to sweat through my shirt regardless of whether I'm wearing a backpack or not. But this way, I lose the rack and the bag and it's more convenient when I lock up the bike.

The reduced weight and better aerodynamics definitely made a difference, but maybe only 1-2mph. I've gained more than that by just riding every day and pushing myself to longer, harder rides. Just my 2 cents, I think it's all about whatever works for you.
Old 07-21-10, 01:20 AM
hairlessbill
Daily Rider

Bikes: 89 Bridgestone MB-3, 93 Bridgestone RB-1,93 Bridgestone MB-1, 95 Klein Fervor, 02 BikeE AT, 06 Surly Cross-check, 8? Schwinn Frontier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you do choose a backpack, pick one that is designed for cycling (and ideally also carrying a laptop). Makes a difference in your comfort level. I love the Banjo Brothers commuter pack but switched over to a Timbuk2 Swig for carrying my laptop (more organized) and it is just comfortable enough for my six mile commute. If I could cram everything into my Carradice saddlebag that's how I'd roll.
1993BstoneRB1
2007IROSSBFGS
1986PanasonicDX4000
2014E-JOE
Old 07-21-10, 10:36 AM
Justin J

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bill,

were you using some kind of laptop sleeve or case when you tried to carry it in the Banjo Brothers bag?

I've been following the recent thread somebody started on that bag, and it looks nice. Lot's of people seem to love it, especially for the price. I would actually use it more for traveling than cycling because it's waterproof and the waist strap is completely removable - excellent! However, the lack of a suspended laptop nest is the one thing holding me back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.