Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Tent talk: Free-standing or Staked

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Tent talk: Free-standing or Staked

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-10, 12:51 PM
Derailed

Bikes: Priority Continuum Onyx; Hunter CX

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by nancy sv
True. But so far I can only remember something 2 or 3 nights when our body weight wasn't sufficient to keep the tent in place - not that it would actually blow away with us in it, but the stakes held the side out so it didn't blow in my face. I think I've only staked my tent 4 or 5 times so far on this trip.
Perhaps this varies with tent model, but my freestanding tent (the Big Agnes Emerald Mountain SL1) works MUCH better in the rain when staked out. I often don't bother, especially when I'm not even using the fly, but if I'm at all worried about rain I stake it out. Otherwise the fly rests on the tent around the tent's perimeter, whereas when staked out there's a nice air gap all around and the rain drips off of the fly away from the tent material. Actually, even when it doesn't rain, the tent gets much better ventilation when staked out due to that air gap as well.

Basically, if I'm going to use the fly at all, I feel the need to stake it out (at least the fly).

Last edited by Derailed; 12-10-10 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-10-10, 03:26 PM
PurpleK
Velocipedic Practitioner

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Bianchi Volpe, Trek 5000, Santana Arriva tandem, Pashley Sovereign, among others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm another fan of the free standing tent. One of the benefits is the ease of changing locations if you have to move. Once I arrived at a campground as a heavy rain began. After waiting under a picnic shelter for awhile I realized it wasn't going to let up anytime soon. I was able to set up my tent while under the shelter, then move it to my site (sleeping under the shelter wasn't permitted). It sure beat trying to pitch it and stake it in the rain.
Old 12-10-10, 05:26 PM
zeppinger

Bikes: Giant FCR3, Surly LHT

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by nancy sv
True. But so far I can only remember something 2 or 3 nights when our body weight wasn't sufficient to keep the tent in place - not that it would actually blow away with us in it, but the stakes held the side out so it didn't blow in my face. I think I've only staked my tent 4 or 5 times so far on this trip.
I don't think the tent makers are worried about the tent blowing away with you in it when they say that in sever weather, even a freestanding tent should be staked down. I believe that the stakes add structural support and lessen the chances that one of your pole will break in the heavy winds. Remember that most of these three season free-standing tents are not really make for load bearing like a four season one that is designed to carry the weight of snow on top of it. The stakes provide rigidity and like others have said, help with ventilation.
Old 12-10-10, 06:35 PM
nancy sv
family on bikes

Bikes: which one?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zeppinger
Remember that most of these three season free-standing tents are not really make for load bearing like a four season one that is designed to carry the weight of snow on top of it. The stakes provide rigidity and like others have said, help with ventilation.
True. We actually have 4-season mountaineering tents with us - need something strong to withstand the Patagonian winds that are coming! We don't have a problem at all with these tents in the rain without staking.
Old 12-10-10, 07:55 PM
magestyk
MageSTYK

Bikes: 2010 KOGA Miyata World Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is my $0.02 on this matter.
I recommend a freestanding tent, because you can stake it down if you like. It's having the best of both worlds.
The tent I use is a 4 season Black Diamond tent. This thing can withstand hurricane winds and it's light and breathable.
https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com...helters/i-tent
Old 12-10-10, 08:35 PM
zeppinger

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by magestyk
Here is my $0.02 on this matter.
I recommend a freestanding tent, because you can stake it down if you like. It's having the best of both worlds.
The tent I use is a 4 season Black Diamond tent. This thing can withstand hurricane winds and it's light and breathable.
https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com...helters/i-tent
5 pounds not including any vestibule. No thanks. I also don't like bright colors for stealth camping. I am glad it works for you though. $500 is pretty darn steep too.

Last edited by zeppinger; 12-10-10 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-11-10, 02:33 AM
magestyk
MageSTYK

Bikes: 2010 KOGA Miyata World Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zeppinger
5 pounds not including any vestibule. No thanks. I also don't like bright colors for stealth camping. I am glad it works for you though. $500 is pretty darn steep too.
LOL, I did say it can withstand hurricane winds and it's also a 4 SEASON TENT.
Not to mention it's durable and battle proven ALL OVER THE WORLD in extreme conditions.
But if it's too heavy for you I understand, not everybody is a pack mule. Some have limitations.
As for the color, I painted mine in a multicam pattern.
The tent being expensive.....well you know what they say. You get what you pay for.

~Cheers
Old 12-11-10, 03:10 AM
Camel
Caffeinated.

Bikes: Waterford 1900, Quintana Roo Borrego, Trek 8700zx, Bianchi Pista Concept

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I liked the Eureka! Zeus 2 Exo tent, and still hope to get another one.

Freestanding, 3.8lbs. Single wall. Plenty of stake/guyout points if need be.

130$ at Campmor now--maybe for the Holidays??
Old 12-11-10, 04:07 AM
zeppinger

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by magestyk
LOL, I did say it can withstand hurricane winds and it's also a 4 SEASON TENT.
Not to mention it's durable and battle proven ALL OVER THE WORLD in extreme conditions.
But if it's too heavy for you I understand, not everybody is a pack mule. Some have limitations.
As for the color, I painted mine in a multicam pattern.
The tent being expensive.....well you know what they say. You get what you pay for.

~Cheers
When your not touring in extreme conditions its just going to be a hot, heavy, small tent. Different tents for different situations. Most people only use 4 season tents in the 4th season, winter. That tent costs more than a lot of peoples entire touring kits, bike and camping gear combined. It makes sense if you are touring Siberia but its hardly THE tent for the average tourer is all I am saying. Every tent is a compromise.
Old 12-11-10, 07:38 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
About moving a tent, I have no problems moving my Akto about, it is pretty simple to stake out. On one occasion the wind was so strong I was worried that I had located in a wind funnel. I managed to move the tent with a lot of stuff inside and the hoop down. Moving a freestanding tent in very high winds is much more difficult.
Ive also moved to areas of better drainage or to avoid hungry sheep. It has never been an issue. I know there are some tents that are harder to move.
Old 12-11-10, 09:57 AM
Gotte

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have five tents - two (maybe three) suitable for taking on a bike tour. If I were on a long tour, I'd have to think, though, which to take. My Northface tadpole (https://www.gaynors.co.uk/products-Th...0201420005.htm), which is free standing is a bit heavier than my staked one man Ferrino Ultralite (https://www.ferrino.it/en/homepage/pr...BLU_GREEN_1068), but benefits from more internal space - you can actually sit up in it. If I were stuck in a field in the middle of nowhere with the rain lashing down for a few days, I think I'd get mighty sick of lying down in the Ultralite, which has no real room to sit up in.
The weight difference is maybe 0.5kg, but that doesn;t seem enough to rule the tadpole out of touring. But then agian, the real benefit of the Ultralite is it is so small, packed. 33cm long compared with the tadpole's 58. Almost half the length.
Both are fly first pitches, which is a bit of a pain if it's raining, but means you can sleep without the flysheet, should it be hot.
I have a third small tent - a pop up Decalthon one man tent, which I actually bought for the kids, but which I do really like. It's heavier, comes in about 2.5kg, but though narrow when packed, it's got a big diameter, maybe two and a half foot (https://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/1-second-simple-34693170/). It's probably possible to strap it somewhere on the bike (outside a pannier maybe, or up on top of the pannier). It's great in that it's up and down in seconds, is totally free standing and could be pitched anywhere.
My instincts tell me that a free standing tent is a much better option - can be used without any fuss anywhere - concrete, sand a little gully with no room for guy ropes, but with that always comes the trade off of greater weight and pack size.
If I were off tomorrow on a long tour with uncertain destination across unknown territory, I'd probably plumb for the tadpole, as I think I'd appreciate the space. Then again, maybe the sheer ease of the pop up tent would win me over, if I could handle the weight. If I were going somewhere where I was using campsites, or camping near towns in agricultural land or woodland, basically somewhere where I knew I'd be able to pitch a tent and could go for a beer or a coffee out of the weather, then I'd probably go with the Ultralite.
don't know if that answers anything, just thought I'd throw it in.

Last edited by Gotte; 12-11-10 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-11-10, 10:42 AM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Now I'm thinking if I ever want to camp on a platform under a canopy, is there any way I can McGuyver it so my tent will stay up? I guess under a canopy you wouldn't have to worry about a saggy, baggy tent and rain run-off issues. Hmmmmmmmmmm
Old 12-11-10, 12:13 PM
nameless

Bikes: Custom Gunnar Roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the input. Like everything, I guess, there will always be pros and cons, bonuses and sacrifices. I like the direction companies like Big Agnes and MSR are going with their ultra-light, double-walled, free-standing tents for 2 (the Fly Creek 2 and Carbon Reflex 2) but then the issues of size/peak height and durability over an extended tour become an issue.

If only the Black Diamond Beta Light didn't require 8 stakes...
Old 12-11-10, 12:22 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
betamids set up with 6 stakes. Nice shelters btw but a little short for my liking. I was working on a skirt extension for a betamid to make it into more of a circus tent, but it never really panned out.

I think I'm going to try out a silicone pyramid, or a cooke custom designs leanto plus next year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bigtentproject5.jpg (90.3 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Bekologist; 12-11-10 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-11-10, 12:51 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 863 Posts
Megamid/mega light + the Mozzy floor/liner would be good, 4 stakes to put it up on the corners
4 more to add once it's up
Go Lite Hex similar , 6 stakes , at the corners then.. single pole
I got a second pole so I can use a fly /awning on the front..
Old 12-11-10, 01:47 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I have 2 tents, one free standing and the second not free standing. I take the free standing one if someone else is carrying the tent and the not free standing one if I am carrying the tent since it is smaller, packs small and a lot lighter.
Old 12-11-10, 02:09 PM
NoReg
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
One of the most useful things in creation are tent hooks. There are basically a wire tent peg bent to become a single point anchor. I bought some like 35 years ago, and have been using them ever since. It would be easy to make them. I have never since seen then for sale. They work in very thin conditions, can hook a small plant or rock feature. I would like to make some that were half size, it really takes very little to hold up a tent.

If you want to make your own, I should mention that both ends have a hook. One is about 3/4" long, the other is probably 3 inches. You need the short hook because one end goes in the ground, and in so doing it backs up towards the tent. The result is that you need to be able to stretch the tent loop into place, so you just pull it past the short hook and let it snap into place.

Further advantage is they don't stick up and you don't trip on them in the night.
Old 12-11-10, 02:56 PM
NoReg
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
"I don't think the tent makers are worried about the tent blowing away with you in it when they say that in sever weather, even a freestanding tent should be staked down. "

I remember taking this North Face tent in for warranty repair. Either a VE24, or maybe an Oval Intention. Both bomber grade dome tents in their day. The user had been to Iceland, I think, Had camped in the open, and been hit by hurricane force winds. He said during the gusts the tent had pushed off to one side and flattened right down. Forcing the leeward poles into an extreme curve, and then nearly flat. Like badly fighting a big fish with a rod. The tent had stood up to this, but every leeward pole had distinctive serpentine splits for several feet. These tents were popular for Everest expeditions, etc... So yeah, you get better performance structurally and in most every other way, when you stake up the free standing tents, even if you don't have to. Also, most tents have some lines of stress when the poles are popped into place, staking the tent out, both in plan and the guys will reduce the point loads. Of course if you aren't expecting a hurricane, then you only need to push the stakes in a few inches. Also, many tents don't need every loop pegged for fair weather. Takes half a minute to pitch the tent properly.
Old 12-11-10, 05:22 PM
Gotte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had that very same problem with a freestanding tent - admittedly it was a big 4 person tent, and it was staked, but when the wild wind blew in the night, the poles warped and switched, and I ended up waking up with the side of the tent slapping in my face.
Old 12-11-10, 05:23 PM
zeppinger

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBlueToe
Now I'm thinking if I ever want to camp on a platform under a canopy, is there any way I can McGuyver it so my tent will stay up? I guess under a canopy you wouldn't have to worry about a saggy, baggy tent and rain run-off issues. Hmmmmmmmmmm
See my previous post where there are pictures of my non-freestanding tent on both a platform and under and canopy.
Old 12-12-10, 07:05 AM
balto charlie

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
I have been using and swearing by free standing BUT I am going with an H. S. Tarp Tent(probably the Moment).
https://www.tarptent.com/moment.html
I've decided the weight must go. These tents go at 1.5lbs. This will reduce my overall weight by 3 lbs. No other gear carries that much extra weight except the bike....hmmmm
Old 12-14-10, 09:45 PM
Tansy

Bikes: Novara Safari(2009)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 to freestanding tents.

HOWEVER! All the touring I've done in the last few years has been on a shoestring budget and I just can't afford a nice, light freestanding tent. So far I've never run into a situation where I just couldn't get my tube tent up. At very least, I can use my bike and two panniers stuffed with my heaviest gear to hold it up. Having a freestanding tent would have saved me a lot of time and let me sleep easier at night not worried that my tent would fall on my in the rain, but I got by without it.
Old 12-14-10, 10:06 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 863 Posts
consider a Hammock-tent? if you are going some place
you can tie it between 2 things..