Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Tour de Fail

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Tour de Fail

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-11, 08:54 AM
bluefoxicy

Bikes: 2010 GT Tachyon 3.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tour de Fail

https://www.npr.org/2011/07/11/137761...-crash-carnage

Even the French can't drive.

Cyclists anticipate all number of obstacles during this three-week showcase — wet roads, extreme heat, dehydration, exhaustion, crashes. Getting sent airborne by a Tour car is not one of them.

But that's what happened to the Flecha and to Johnny Hoogerland as they entered the final stretch of the 129-mile route from Issoire to Saint-Flour in the Massif Central.
Old 07-11-11, 09:22 AM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
The professional pelotons have dozens of cars and motorcycles accompanying the riders in close quarters.

These vehicles are vital to the safety and success of the riders, and include: team cars (food, coaching), race officials, media, neutral repair services, team and race doctors, and police.

It is exceedingly rare for a motor vehicle to collide with a rider. In fact, there have been nearly a dozen crashes in this year's TdF which were caused by the riders and had nothing to do with any motor vehicles.

The driver should have stayed a little further back from the cyclists. Otherwise there is no real "larger lesson" from this incident, especially from an A&S perspective.
Old 07-11-11, 09:30 AM
pcfxer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Firstly, we all understand accidents happen.

To excuse the driver at all in any shape or form demonstrates that you probably didn't watch the same race as myself. The cyclists were up in front and ALONE with a lot of room to spare on either side. The driver of the car CRANKED the wheel INTO the cyclists for NO REASON.

Assumptions: Driver afraid of off-roading := proper training says to keep the wheel straight and gradually move the vehicle safely onto the roadway keeping one's eyes directed to where they want to go.

2nd fail: Motorcycle...wtf? GTFO of the way. Why does he have to be so close to get the "best shot?"
Old 07-11-11, 09:35 AM
digger

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by pcfxer
Firstly, we all understand accidents happen.

To excuse the driver at all in any shape or form demonstrates that you probably didn't watch the same race as myself. The cyclists were up in front and ALONE with a lot of room to spare on either side. The driver of the car CRANKED the wheel INTO the cyclists for NO REASON.

Assumptions: Driver afraid of off-roading := proper training says to keep the wheel straight and gradually move the vehicle safely onto the roadway keeping one's eyes directed to where they want to go.

2nd fail: Motorcycle...wtf? GTFO of the way. Why does he have to be so close to get the "best shot?"
The driver swerved to avoid a tree. Watch it again, you'll see. It wasn't for "no reason."

It appears the driver was trying to pass the cyclists (for whatever reason), was probably concentraing on the cyclist and not looking far enough ahead. He noticed the tree and instead of stopping, swerved. Stopping would most likely cause the motorcyclist behind him to slam into his rear (maybe).

So,. it wasn't intention, it was a stupid mistake.
Old 07-11-11, 09:39 AM
jbkirby

Bikes: 1971 Raleigh International; 1972 Raleigh International; 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Indeed, a dumb mistake, but a costly one. Each year, more vehicles seem to be allowed.
Old 07-11-11, 10:42 AM
crhilton

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://velonews.competitor.com/2011/...stage-9_183085

They were told not to pass, did it anyway and caused a wreck. It's clear cut, not an "accident" and not okay.

There's nothing to learn here except that the driver should never be allowed to operate a vehicle at a UCI race ever again. And his company should probably be severely fined.
Old 07-11-11, 12:11 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

That's the ASO covering its A**.

The TV car was already in front of the two team cars, who effectively blocking the road behind them. If we believe that the team car needed to get *cough* NEXT TO THE RIDERS *cough,* the TV car didn't have a lot of options. It certainly couldn't come to a dead stop or pull off to the side at 30mph without causing an even worse crash.

Pro cyclists ride next to cars all the time. They draft off of cars, they talk to their team DS's, they talk to race doctors, they retrieve food and drinks all the time while cruising at 30+ mph. The problem isn't "cars next to pro cyclists," it's that for whatever reason, the TV car driver swerved when he was too close to the cyclists.

And again, this has bupkis to do with the kind of safety issues that ordinary cyclists deal with on a regular basis.
Old 07-11-11, 12:43 PM
bluefoxicy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
And again, this has bupkis to do with the kind of safety issues that ordinary cyclists deal with on a regular basis.
I know seriously. Most of us have never been on a road with a motorized vehicle at all! Those ebikes aren't really popular yet because they're so expensive...
Old 07-11-11, 01:01 PM
crhilton

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's the ASO covering its A**.

The TV car was already in front of the two team cars, who effectively blocking the road behind them. If we believe that the team car needed to get *cough* NEXT TO THE RIDERS *cough,* the TV car didn't have a lot of options. It certainly couldn't come to a dead stop or pull off to the side at 30mph without causing an even worse crash.
I don't think those red LCL cars are Europcar team cars. It might be the ASO covering its ass. Either way, the driver had an easy out: Look up the ****ing road and notice the tree coming up before you try to pass.
Old 07-11-11, 01:03 PM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
Amazing this doesn't happen more often with all the cars involved in the tour. This is a rare accident and if we want coverage of the Tour, you got to have the camera cars. Horrible accident and the driver has been expelled. Don't know what more to do.
Old 07-11-11, 01:10 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
These vehicles are vital to the safety and success of the riders, and include: team cars (food, coaching), race officials, media, neutral repair services, team and race doctors, and police.
So where are all these "vital" vehicles in other races?

Even NASCAR makes pit stops when the car needs a repair or the driver needs a drink. If everybody has to stop to get a fresh water bottle, then it's not giving anybody an unfair advantage unless camels learn to ride bicycles.

Besides, making them wait a bit longer for a spare bike might discourage some of the weight-savings shortcuts that lead to the disappearing front wheels, splintering forks and other things that seem to happen every time the Tour route has a slight rough spot.
Old 07-11-11, 01:14 PM
bluefoxicy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Take the weight penalty for a 3L camelbak and an ice vest; swap the reservoir on pit stops. Win Tour de France. FIFA makes it illegal next year.
Old 07-11-11, 01:15 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by bluefoxicy
Why do you automatically assume the driver is French? French drivers are generally OK. Can't say the same for drivers in Hong Kong.
Old 07-11-11, 01:38 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13659 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by KD5NRH
So where are all these "vital" vehicles in other races?

Even NASCAR makes pit stops when the car needs a repair or the driver needs a drink. If everybody has to stop to get a fresh water bottle, then it's not giving anybody an unfair advantage unless camels learn to ride bicycles.

Besides, making them wait a bit longer for a spare bike might discourage some of the weight-savings shortcuts that lead to the disappearing front wheels, splintering forks and other things that seem to happen every time the Tour route has a slight rough spot.
NASCAR is not exactly an open road type race like TDF... if a "pit" were available, then no doubt "pit stops" could be made. Just a quick check shows that NASCAR is all done on tracks.

Of course on the flip side, perhaps some long multi-day bike race could be setup on some big track somewhere... racers could then come in and "pit" their bikes... somehow I have a feeling they'd just exchange one bike for another, rather than change tires... etc.

Even Le Mans is on a track. Races that are not done on tracks, but in cities, such as Long Beach, require the streets to be closed and they are configured like a track.

Is there any sort of open road race event like TDF, for automobiles? The only thing I can think of that is even remotely similar is the Baja 1000... and there are plenty of support vehicles.
Old 07-11-11, 02:57 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

I know seriously. Most of us have never been on a road with a motorized vehicle at all! Those ebikes aren't really popular yet because they're so expensive...
Dude. Seriously.

Motor vehicles that are riding in the middle of a pro peloton are hyper-aware of the cyclists, and they are there specifically to support the riders. In contrast, when a car passes me on a busy road, they are rarely looking for cyclists and most certainly aren't there to hand me a water bottle.

Neither the riders nor the car were operating under the parameters of ordinary driving. You might as well point to a Formula 1 race as evidence that "speeding is bad."

Absolutely nothing about this unfortunate accident has any bearing whatsoever on how ordinary cyclists and ordinary cars should deal with each other on the road.

Take the weight penalty for a 3L camelbak and an ice vest; swap the reservoir on pit stops. Win Tour de France. FIFA makes it illegal next year.
Dude. Seriously.

Unless you're making a joke, you have absolutely no concept of how pro races work.

You've got almost 200 riders covering 3400km over 21 stages. That's an average of 163km per day, with many stages over 200k. There is no way you could operate a grand tour without extensive motorized support.

Nor do you show any awareness that this is an exceedingly rare event. From what I can tell, a car hasn't hit a TdF cyclist since 1977.

Meanwhile, crashes caused by other cyclists have done far more damage this year, and have claimed: Chris Horner, Vino, Bradley Wiggins, Brajkovic, Tom Boonen, Zabriskie.... all knocked out with serious injuries by crashes that had nothing to do with motor vehicles.

Feel free to come on back when you actually know what you're talking about.
Old 07-11-11, 03:06 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Originally Posted by genec
perhaps some long multi-day bike race could be setup on some big track somewhere... racers could then come in and "pit" their bikes...
Criterium races are done on large loops. Bike races would essentially be ruined if they were limited to 50k loops.

And it wouldn't make it even the tiniest bit safer. Again, motor vehicles almost never crash with the bikes.

Is there any sort of open road race event like TDF, for automobiles? The only thing I can think of that is even remotely similar is the Baja 1000... and there are plenty of support vehicles.
There are still some events like the Monte Carlo rally.
Old 07-11-11, 03:20 PM
KD5NRH

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
NASCAR is not exactly an open road type race like TDF... if a "pit" were available, then no doubt "pit stops" could be made.
They're bicycles. A pit is anywhere you can have some guy holding a spare bike.

I don't know of any other multi-day races, but there are certainly road races. Generally, support consists of somebody pushing your broke-down race car off the road and the sheriff telling you when the wrecker will be allowed on the track to get it. Some drivers do have support vehicles, but obviously, if the support could keep up with the race car, they'd be racing it instead of wasting it on support; by the time it catches up to do anything, it's too late to have a decent standing in the race.

A similar method for the TdF would be to keep running the drinks motorcycles, neutral support and some roadside water, and keep the team cars at the stage start and finish unless they're called out. Break your bike beyond Mavic's ability to roadside repair it and you're pretty much toast for the stage. No all that different from most other forms of racing, really.
Old 07-11-11, 04:21 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13659 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Criterium races are done on large loops. Bike races would essentially be ruined if they were limited to 50k loops. And it wouldn't make it even the tiniest bit safer. Again, motor vehicles almost never crash with the bikes.
When I wrote that I was thinking of the multi-day bike races that were considered all the rage at the turn of the last century... They were done on tracks and indeed had pit stops. Madison Square Garden used to be the site for such races... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six-day_racing

There are still some events like the Monte Carlo rally.
Rare events indeed. I would be quite willing to bet there are "support vehicles" during Monte Carlo. Don't know for sure though.

Last edited by genec; 07-11-11 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-11-11, 04:30 PM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Watching the one biker thrown onto the barb wire fence made me cringe, Im happy that as I understand it, all were not seriously hurt.
Old 07-11-11, 04:39 PM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Northwestrider
Watching the one biker thrown onto the barb wire fence made me cringe, Im happy that as I understand it, all were not seriously hurt.
And that wreck wasn't even the worst one of the day. There was one far worse that didn't occur on camera that took out 30 riders and ended up breaking Alexandr Vinokourov's femur and pelvis.
Old 07-11-11, 06:07 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
All the crashes here. Hoogerland really got tore up in that fence. Check the dog crash video - the rider's front wheel collapses as if the dog had a "force field".

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...mj8H_blog.html
Old 07-11-11, 06:54 PM
bluefoxicy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Unless you're making a joke, you have absolutely no concept of how pro races work.
Hey, he said have them pit stop every time they need a drink. Forget that, too many stops; the weight penalty of carrying 3L of water is far better, and swapping off the reservoir (or whole pack) makes sense.

And have you ridden with an ice vest? I rode my bike in the rain and was like holy crap, I'm Lance friggin' Armstrong! Rushed up the hills, slung my bike around like a 50cc dirt bike, got home not even a little winded, could have gone all day like that. Man, once you start sucking the heat away it's like you've become Bicycle Jesus. This is what my car must feel like when the coolant system isn't boiling over.
Old 07-11-11, 09:01 PM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 41 Posts
<<The professional pelotons have dozens of cars and motorcycles accompanying the riders in close quarters.>>

How the TDF is supposed to promote cycling when the race is so hopelessly dependent on....HORRORS! the automobile, has escaped me. I'll bet the TDF has a bigger carbon footprint than the Indy 500.

roughstuff
Old 07-11-11, 11:18 PM
KD5NRH

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Again, motor vehicles almost never crash with the bikes.
Concordes almost never crash at all. How's that working out for France?
Old 07-12-11, 05:49 AM
jakub.ner

Bikes: 2 Xootr Swifts, Dahon Curve, Oxford Winter Beater.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pcfxer
... car CRANKED the wheel INTO the cyclists for NO REASON.
Except for a rather large tree right against the pavement.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.