Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

OK, I admit it: clipless pedals are better

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-11, 06:39 PM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I've posted my objections to clipless pedals here in the past. My objections were reasonable, I think; they mainly involved the stupid-looking, inconvenient shoes and the fact that the performance isn't breathtakingly better than regular old platforms. However, recently I've given them another, sincere try, and, if you have shoes that look somewhat normal and are actually walkable, the 10% performance improvement is worth it. In addition, I've noticed that, on longer rides, they're quite a bit easier on a middle aged guy's joints and IT band.
Old 08-10-11, 06:42 PM
justadude

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
True!
Old 08-10-11, 06:56 PM
Rhodabike

Bikes: Reynolds 531P road bike, Rocky Mountain Metropolis, Rocky Mountain Sherpa 10, Look 566

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Now I'm waiting for A Certain Person to post about how dangerous they are and how you're taking your life in your hands by using them.
Old 08-10-11, 07:06 PM
thenomad
Riding like its 1990

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
The 10% increase is offset by the extra weight of the helmet you must always wear.

*gets popcorn*
Old 08-10-11, 07:11 PM
zig.zag
smells like fitness

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Tarmac Comp Rival

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was reluctant to use them, also, because of how inconvenient and dangerous they appeared. Also a little because of how silly my friends who use road cleats looked when walking around. I tried a pair of shimano spd cleats and pedals. Although they took a little getting used to, I liked not having to worry about my feet slipping off the pedals. Now that I have been using them for over a year, I love them. I climb hills faster than any of my friends, without ever standing. Although I have had a couple of close calls tipping over, I have yet to fall while clipped in (knock on wood - I know it will probably happen some day). And, because the cleats are recessed in the treads of my shoes, I can walk without hobbling.
Old 08-10-11, 07:53 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
It's funny that this should come up. I've been riding my winter bike which at the moment has platform pedals. The shoes I've been wearing and the pedals aren't a great combination. I've had my feet roll off the front a couple of times. Not a big deal and it's not something I've had much of a problem with in the past.

I've also noticed that it takes me awhile to find a comfortable spot on the pedal. So while with platform pedals I don't spend any time "getting clipped in", I still may not get as quick of a jump from a stop just because my foot ended up in an awkward spot.

There are times I really appreciate being able to wear regular shoes but I change my shoes once I get to work anyway.
Old 08-10-11, 07:57 PM
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I put them back on my 'bent. I seemed faster at first... then I realized I had a tailwind....

I do like them on the 'bent. Less fear of feet slipping off of the pedals. On the other hand, my shoes hurt my feet after about 40 miles.
Old 08-10-11, 08:04 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
The only time I don't ride clipless is when using winter boots a couple days a year or if I'm riding few blocks to pick up lunch. Can't imagine riding without on a regular basis.
Old 08-10-11, 08:06 PM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree with you, as long as the ride is long enough for the benefit to be worth the hassle. If you are heading out 2 miles down to the local grocery store, it's not going to be a big deal. For longer rides, yes they are great. Personally my favorite 'advantage' is how secure they feel in the rain. I don't trust platforms enough in the rain to ride off the saddle.

Last edited by SouthFLpix; 08-10-11 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-10-11, 08:09 PM
dolanp

Bikes: Trek FX 7.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like them but I wouldn't want to use them on a commute where I'm stopping frequently I don't think. I'd actually get there faster on platforms I think. For exercise in my road bike though, most definitely worth it.
Old 08-10-11, 08:20 PM
Titmawz

Bikes: Raleigh Record Ace, Windsor The Hour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you drank the clipless kool aid =)
Old 08-10-11, 08:24 PM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good to know. I'm going to find out soon, as I just got some Shimano dual platform/spd and Pearl Izumi mountain shoes.
Old 08-10-11, 08:45 PM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by waynesworld
Good to know. I'm going to find out soon, as I just got some Shimano dual platform/spd and Pearl Izumi mountain shoes.
You may regret your choice. I find single-sided pedals to be a total pain in the a**. It's easier, in my opinion, to just swap out pedals if you want to ride without clipless than it is to deal with the hassle of flipping the pedal over to the side you want.
Old 08-10-11, 08:57 PM
Scheherezade 
12mph+ commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
10% increase?
Old 08-10-11, 09:02 PM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bragi
You may regret your choice. I find single-sided pedals to be a total pain in the a**. It's easier, in my opinion, to just swap out pedals if you want to ride without clipless than it is to deal with the hassle of flipping the pedal over to the side you want.
I've read both opinions on that. In the end, I really want to be able to jump on this bike without cycling specific shoes. It's basically an experiment. Also wanted walkable shoes, hence the 'mountain' type shoes and SPD cleats.

I'll install the pedals and try it out tomorrow or the next day. We'll see how it goes.
Old 08-10-11, 09:10 PM
zig.zag
smells like fitness

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Tarmac Comp Rival

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used clip-in platforms on my spd pedals at first so I could use sneakers if I wanted to. After close to a year without ever using the platforms, I took them off, and don't miss them.
Old 08-10-11, 09:20 PM
rex_kramer
Acts 2:38

Bikes: '10 Marin Lucas Valley, '13 Scott Speedster 20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You must be doing something wrong because I get 11%.
Old 08-10-11, 09:33 PM
rex_kramer
Acts 2:38

Bikes: '10 Marin Lucas Valley, '13 Scott Speedster 20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I began looking into them after my first brush with an accident that involved slipping off both pedals. If not for the slight bit of grip my crotch *wince* maintained on my saddle, I would have wound up on the ground for sure. So after just one year on a bike (having rode nothing for 20+), I did my research and picked up a pair of M520's with a nice pair of Shimano shoes, which looked fairly street for MTB shoes. Slapped the pedals on, adjusted the tension, practiced some exit and entry a few times in the house and I was ready to roll. Haven't fallen over yet. Could never go back to platforms.
Old 08-11-11, 12:09 AM
tjspiel

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
There are definitely others who have the same view but for what it's worth, I've used four different types of clipless pedals. One single-side, one clipless/platform combo, and two double-sided.

I've sold both pairs of double-sided pedals and kept the other two.

I kept the single-sided road pedals because they've more or less cured the numbness I was getting in my feet on long, hard rides.

I kept the clipless/platform combo pedals because those are my favorite. I'd use them on all my bikes if it weren't for the numb foot problem I mentioned above.

With single sided pedals you need to know how the pedals tend to hang and adjust your clipping technique accordingly. I can clip into them on the first try nearly as often as I could with the double side pedals. If I don't hit the right side, I just ride on the platform until it's a convenient time to flip the pedal. Using an SPD shoe with some rubber on its tread (as opposed to hard plastic or carbon) makes that work well.

When I was learning it was more frustrating because I wanted to always be clipped in right away. I thought the pedals were hanging in more or less random positions when starting from a stop. That might have been true before they broke in. Anyway, the end result was that I was constantly looking down so I could maneuver the pedal into the face up position.

I was alot happier with the pedals once I realized I didn't have to clip in immediately. Eventually I learned how to push the pedal forward with my toe before trying to clip in. Now I can clip in quickly without looking.

This bike has the same pedals I have. It might be hard to tell from the picture but that's the position the pedals tend to rest in, - with clipless mechanism toward the back. So, like I said, when starting, you want to push the top of the pedal forward, then stomp down.
Old 08-11-11, 12:14 AM
JiveTurkey
Low car diet

Bikes: 2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dolanp
I like them but I wouldn't want to use them on a commute where I'm stopping frequently I don't think. I'd actually get there faster on platforms I think.
Explain this.
Old 08-11-11, 03:28 AM
gear

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I've posted my objections to clipless pedals here in the past. My objections were reasonable, I think; they mainly involved the stupid-looking shoes
I hate to be the one to inform you of this but there really is no point in concerning yourself with how you look. First of all you are riding a bicycle so every non-bicycling person you run into thinks you look ridiculous no matter what clothing you have on. Second of all since you are also (like me) a "middle aged guy" I should inform you that to any woman (or girl) under the age of 27, you are completely invisible. So now that you know this feel free to wear whatever you want, it makes no difference to anyone.
Old 08-11-11, 04:48 AM
asmac

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Be sure to check out the type 2 Shimano cleats. They have a bit more machining that allows them to release in multiple directions while keeping you attached for normal use. I got mine last week and it's much safer and well worth the $20. Type 1 (i.e. the dangerous ones) come with the pedals.
Old 08-11-11, 06:09 AM
ortcutt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gear
I hate to be the one to inform you of this but there really is no point in concerning yourself with how you look. First of all you are riding a bicycle so every non-bicycling person you run into thinks you look ridiculous no matter what clothing you have on. Second of all since you are also (like me) a "middle aged guy" I should inform you that to any woman (or girl) under the age of 27, you are completely invisible. So now that you know this feel free to wear whatever you want, it makes no difference to anyone.
Well put! I knew long ago that I'd never look like anything but a dweeb as a cyclist. All I strive for now is to be a highly visible dweeb.

Originally Posted by JiveTurkey
Originally Posted by dolanp
I like them but I wouldn't want to use them on a commute where I'm stopping frequently I don't think. I'd actually get there faster on platforms I think.
Explain this.
I presume the point was that if you need to futz with clipping back in after every stop, your overall speed suffers. This sounds plausible for certain circumstances, particularly congested urban traffic.
Old 08-11-11, 07:02 AM
gear

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ortcutt
Well put! I knew long ago that I'd never look like anything but a dweeb as a cyclist. All I strive for now is to be a highly visible dweeb.

I presume the point was that if you need to futz with clipping back in after every stop, your overall speed suffers. This sounds plausible for certain circumstances, particularly congested urban traffic.
Ortcutt,
Theres' a bike show at Larz Anderson on the 20th.
Old 08-11-11, 07:07 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Don't worry, I'll carry the platform banner on.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.