Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Are cars getting more aggressive towards bikes?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-11, 10:56 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts

A month ago, someone from work got run over and killed riding on a lightly traveled road (the car apparently did not see him). A few days ago, another person I know from a local club got hit – he is OK, his $5,000 bike is trashed. He was riding about 3 feet away from the street. Are cars getting more aggressive towards bikes?

A comment on the newspaper article seemed to shed a lot of light on the attitude of a minority of drivers. Yeah, less than 10% of the drivers probably think this way, but it only takes one car to ruin your day, or your life…

" If you continue to ride on the road you will probably get hit again, and next time you may not end up with just a skinned knee. Stay off the roads unless you are in a car, period. Those who get hit, hurt, and killed while riding on highways deserve what they get. I wouldn't expect any sympathy if I swam with sharks and got bitten. Oh it's a big ocean and I have the legal right to be here too. Boo hoo. Get real, there's a reason everyone, myself included, laughs whenever we hear of a bicyclist getting killed on the highway. "
The article about the hit and run, with the above quote in the comments section:
https://www.theoaklandpress.com/artic...5884697539.txt
Old 08-19-11, 12:12 PM
SactoDoug
eMail Sold to Spammers

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
There will always be people with a criminal mindset. Unfortunately, these people can do serious harm or kill a cyclist with their car/truck/SUV.

It takes a real coward and scum bag to run someone over with a motor vehicle.
Old 08-19-11, 12:42 PM
2wheelcommute

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't try to interpret a trend based on a couple of anecdotes. (On my end, I've had a startling number of people--pedestrians, cyclists, and even drivers--smiling and waving at me on my commute lately)

Boy, am I sorry about your co-worker and friend, though.
Old 08-19-11, 01:06 PM
MijnWraak
Noobie of the year :)

Bikes: 1980's Miyata Seven Ten

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cars are getting less aggressive towards bikes, since nobody I know has been hit by a car recently
Old 08-19-11, 01:19 PM
chas58

Maybe it is a Michigan thing, but its unusual for me to ride on the shoulder of a major road (i.e. anything with a speedlimit over 25mph) without some yahoo yelling "get off the road." My cruising speed is 20-25mph, making sidewalks more dangerous than the road (cars never stop before the crosswalk, like cars legally must do).

Personally, I just cut through neighborhoods and back roads as much as possible, but sometimes there are no alternatives.
Old 08-19-11, 01:22 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
People say things and make claims on the internet that they wouldn't say or do in reality. That comment from the website above is just another internet blowhard.
Old 08-19-11, 01:23 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I don't think it's the cars that are the problem, but rather the drivers.
Old 08-19-11, 02:12 PM
JeffSG
Charlotte, NC Commuter

Bikes: Gary Fisher Wahoo with Mammoth wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It seems to me that the cagers are getting less aggressive. I haven't had one blow there horn at me in a couple of months or see how close they can get to me. Maybe they feel sorry for me because of the heat...don't know but it's fine with me.

Ride safe,

Jeff
Old 08-19-11, 02:59 PM
chas58

Originally Posted by lostarchitect
People say things and make claims on the internet that they wouldn't say or do in reality. That comment from the website above is just another internet blowhard.
Not really, I see and hear this type of attitude when riding on the road all of the time. I will admit that Michigan seems to be much more aggressive with this attitude than any other state I have ridden in.

While I have had people who, for no apparent reason, to a close drive by, and then slam on the brakes in front of me (typically a pickup truck driver for some reason), most of the accidents nearby seem to be from people who are just not paying attention when driving. My best friend had his brother run over by a car a week ago – he was riding in a bike lane (LA) and the car just swung wide on a turn - into the bike lane and took him out. Fortunately he was able to walk away (more or less) after being thrown into the windshield and then about 20 feet away like the guy above.
Old 08-19-11, 03:11 PM
sauerwald

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The vast majority of drivers are careful and considerate. I believe that the problem is that we have a system which is very permissive towards that small minority who endanger us all. We should be much quicker to enforce existing laws, and to put teeth into that enforcement. Suspend or revoke drivers licenses and make the penalties for driving without a valid license sufficient to make it a very rare occurrence.
Old 08-19-11, 04:09 PM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
No.
Old 08-19-11, 04:13 PM
jbman100
Aluminum Convert

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think drivers are getting any more aggressive I think that we as riders as getting more exposure in the press about being hit as more and more bikes are on the roads.
Old 08-19-11, 04:24 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,491 Times in 1,286 Posts
I believe that there is more "road rage" now then 15-20 years ago. It's not just drivers hostile towards cyclist but driver against driver. I think that majority of drivers are good people. But it's the few bad ones that shouldn't even have a drivers license. I
Old 08-19-11, 04:26 PM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sauerwald
The vast majority of drivers are careful and considerate. I believe that the problem is that we have a system which is very permissive towards that small minority who endanger us all. We should be much quicker to enforce existing laws, and to put teeth into that enforcement. Suspend or revoke drivers licenses and make the penalties for driving without a valid license sufficient to make it a very rare occurrence.
In almost 25 years of commuting I've had maybe 10 experiences that I would consider harrassment. Harrassment is what I would describe as 'deliberate endangerment'. 3 times I was able to catch and confront the individual(s) at the next traffic light. Once I was able to confront the person in their work parking lot. They were beyond embarrassed as their co-workers were treated to a full-volume harangue of the perpetrator by yours truly.

Personally, I don't consider 'get off the road!' as harrassment, but I do make sure that my universal hand gesture response is clearly visible in their rearview mirror. If they decide they want to take offence and come back to knuckle up...well, so be it. Wouldn't be the first time in my life. It's never happened though. People who hollar things from the safety of their cars are confrontational cowards. You can take that to the bank.

Like the above poster says, most cagers pass at a respectful distance and go on about their day. Sometimes, I feel bad that they feel the need to pass all the way over in the opposing lane when moving over close to the center line is plenty of room. I do my part in having the best flat-resistant tires I can afford while riding to the right of the fog line as much as possible.

I'll filter when it's safe, make eye to eye contact, be very clear of my intentions and try to be as considerate of the reality that I'm a 200lb vehicle in amongst 5000 lb behemoths as possible. I keep my head on a swivel and maintain the attitude that if I get hit it's my fault, regardless of the level of the cager's inattention. Ultimately, I'm responsible for my own level of safety and refuse to blame cagers for my lack of anticipation.

So, no it doesn't seem to me that the level of aggression has increased over the years. There are alot more bikes on the road during commuting hours, though. So, it would stand to reason that conflicts between cagers and cycle-commuters would go up simply because there are more people on bikes, nowadays.
Old 08-19-11, 07:33 PM
TheHen

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It seems to me that motorists are both becoming more considerate of cyclists and becoming more aggressive. That is to say, the motoring public, like the political public, is becoming more polarized. I seem to have way more drivers going out of their way to give me extra space and I am getting a lot more waves (five fingers) and smiles than ever before in my many decades of riding. At the same time, I am having more intentional close passes and general harassment than ever before.

I don't think I'll ever understand what causes someone to think it is acceptable to put a stranger's life in danger. I'm not bothered by the mindless yelling or one-digit salutes (Do they think I'm #1?), but putting a life at risk because the person doesn't appear to be like you in some way is just beyond my ability to comprehend.
Old 08-19-11, 10:09 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Cars don't get more or less aggressive towards bikes. Drivers get more or less aggressive towards cyclist. The removal of the HUMAN factor as poised in the question is part of the problem. People don't see people, they see machines.

The answer is probably yes, people are more and more spoiled, me, me, me, I am the most important thing in the universe and what I want is most important and what you want does not matter.

LC
Old 08-19-11, 11:09 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
They probably are (motorists), but my skin has gotten thicker as well, so it's hard to tell. I noticed from personal experience is that motorists are worse around election time, especially if it's a heated one.

Old 08-19-11, 11:41 PM
Ira B

Bikes: 84 Raleigh Technium- 89 Shogun Mt. Bike-96 Miyata 914

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
We need a fact based PR campaign.

Every bicycle commuter who leaves the car at home is applying downward pressure on the price of gasoline by reducing demand. That should make every bicyclist the driver of a car sees cause them to smile a little.
As cyclists we should always keep in mind that for many people biking is often just not an option. On the flip side, those people should recognize that they face less traffic and lower gas prices because many of us can and do ride.
And then everybody is happy.
Old 08-19-11, 11:56 PM
Dean7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to say: in Portland I think it's the opposite. Every day it seems that cars and cyclists are finding better ways to interact with each other. Honestly, as a driver there are some situations where it's hard to look out for bikes (like when we are pacing them in a bike lane and they go to take a right, etc.) but most of the people I see are doing their best.

There will always be a subset of the population bent on chaos and destruction, but they can kill you in your car or as a pedestrian as well. So, I don't really view it as aggressiveness aimed towards cyclists.
Old 08-20-11, 08:48 AM
Titmawz

Bikes: Raleigh Record Ace, Windsor The Hour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bad things happen all around but I would have to say as well that from my experience drivers have been much nicer lately =)
Old 08-20-11, 05:23 PM
The Human Car
-=Barry=-

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
IMHO It's going both ways. Most are getting more respectful of cyclists but those that are not, are getting really not respectful of cyclists.
. . /L
=()>()
Old 08-21-11, 08:49 AM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Seasonal trends.

School is starting back up. Lot of College students and house wives driving their too fat too good for the bus children to school.
Old 08-21-11, 02:33 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
My secret plan (I guess it's not secret now)is to fund road bicycles for the children (especially daughters) of police officers and judges. I think we'd get more protection from those groups, and that drivers would think twice about harassing us.
Old 08-21-11, 09:43 PM
silmarillion

Bikes: 2012 Cinelli Mystic Rat, Nashbar CX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
" Stay off the roads unless you are in a car, period. Those who get hit, hurt, and killed while riding on highways deserve what they get. I wouldn't expect any sympathy if I swam with sharks and got bitten. Oh it's a big ocean and I have the legal right to be here too. Boo hoo. Get real, there's a reason everyone, myself included, laughs whenever we hear of a bicyclist getting killed on the highway. "
Reprehensible mindless drivel. This writer would feel different if it were a member of his/her family that was killed. Being on the receiving end sure does a lot to change perspectives...

It's like saying that if you got shot in an armed robbery, it's your fault for going into the bank to make a transaction.

I think that people are becoming more and more frustrated with traffic in general. More cars on the road, and dwindling infrastructure not able to keep up with traffic demands. People get uptight.

Fuel costs, and Oil War arguments aside though, saying that people deserve to get killed so others can enjoy driving without the hassle of having to deal with bicyclists on the roadways is asinine ignorance. Much bigger threats to public safety on the roads than people on bicycles.

Last edited by silmarillion; 08-21-11 at 10:05 PM. Reason: add
Old 08-21-11, 09:59 PM
streetstomper

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Rising gas prices probably don't help. Somebody who feels trapped into spending a lot of money filling his tank is likely to resent people who don't have to pay for gas and who are "stealing" his road space.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.