Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

bike taken out of store

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

bike taken out of store

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-12, 01:03 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sm1960
Get a lock..or 2. Your lights and computer are removable. The few stores I go into I try to park and lock in front of a window, or right near the entrance. Your bike in a store is a liability. What if some little kid grabbed it when you weren't looking? I know its hard to leave precious alone....but sometimes we have to be strong and let go....*gollum*
That same hypothetical kid could also grab the bike while it is locked up outside and injure themselves. So the liability is still there. And as I've said, you'd be surprised at how many businesses not only allow cyclists to bring their bikes inside but instruct them to do so.

Another place that I take my bike inside is at my bank, even though they have a short two maybe three wave "sine wave" type of bike rack very close to the front door. The problem that I have with those style of racks is that they provide little in the way of actual support for one's bike and they're way too easy to tip over.
Old 01-25-12, 01:11 AM
Refro

Bikes: Gazelle Davos and a Santos mountainbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really love these discussions. It could be that I'm over generalizing. It seems to me you all love the dutch bike culture (bikepaths, bikes, attitude etc) but living in the Netherlands I don't see anybody taking their bikes inside stores. I have never thought of that anyone on the world was doing it until I read it on this site. Most stores over here only have a simple rack so nothing fancy about it. Even at my LBS I mostly leave the bike in front of the store discuss the work to be done with him and give him the key. The bike I use for commuting and errands is a >2000 euro bike (rohloff, hs33, son, tubus) but with a good lock (axa defender with chain, sometimes combined with a abus bordo) I feel confident leaving it locked to the rack outside.

In your opinion should it also be OK to bring in a scooter or a motorbike? They also have two wheels are not to big an can be very expensive.
Old 01-25-12, 01:21 AM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Refro
I really love these discussions. It could be that I'm over generalizing. It seems to me you all love the dutch bike culture (bikepaths, bikes, attitude etc) but living in the Netherlands I don't see anybody taking their bikes inside stores. I have never thought of that anyone on the world was doing it until I read it on this site. Most stores over here only have a simple rack so nothing fancy about it. Even at my LBS I mostly leave the bike in front of the store discuss the work to be done with him and give him the key. The bike I use for commuting and errands is a >2000 euro bike (rohloff, hs33, son, tubus) but with a good lock (axa defender with chain, sometimes combined with a abus bordo) I feel confident leaving it locked to the rack outside.

In your opinion should it also be OK to bring in a scooter or a motorbike? They also have two wheels are not to big an can be very expensive.
Perhaps Americans are more paranoid about losing their bikes due to our outrageously rampant theft rate.
Old 01-25-12, 01:54 AM
Refro

Bikes: Gazelle Davos and a Santos mountainbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimRider
Perhaps Americans are more paranoid about losing their bikes due to our outrageously rampant theft rate.
Do you have numbers on this?Numbers on stolen bikes stolen in the Netherlands range from 548.000 to 897.000 (according to https://www.verkeerskunde.nl/cijfers-...jk.23454.lynkx or https://www.fietsersbond.nl/de-feiten...tsen-cijfers-2). I don't know how it was measured and how accurate the numbers are.
Old 01-25-12, 03:25 AM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Refro
Do you have numbers on this?Numbers on stolen bikes stolen in the Netherlands range from 548.000 to 897.000 (according to https://www.verkeerskunde.nl/cijfers-...jk.23454.lynkx or https://www.fietsersbond.nl/de-feiten...tsen-cijfers-2). I don't know how it was measured and how accurate the numbers are.
If your theft rate in anyway parallels ours, then you guys are unimaginably larcenous, and can't be trusted!
Old 01-25-12, 03:53 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by boro
What are the policies in that land so many look to.... the Netherlands?
at the moment: anti everything.

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Not a Policy quotation, but an observation,
spend a stoned weekend there once?

The Ring lock fixed to the frame
is common in NL bikes, so they don't roll off, wheel wont turn.

as is a big heavy chain,
to lock it to something like one of the bridges over Amsterdam's Canals.

Originally Posted by DrJerry
In Amsterdam and a few other larger cities, you will sometimes see U-locks attached to a wheel and the rack. Nothing Else! In many of the smaller towns and villages I have stayed in, where crime rate is close to 0%, it is common to just lean your bike up against the front of your house. I told a friend in Eindhoven that if she just leaned her bike on the front of her house in USA, it would be gone before she could get back in the house.
those are tourist's bikes.
Old 01-25-12, 07:32 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
Another place that I take my bike inside is at my bank, even though they have a short two maybe three wave "sine wave" type of bike rack very close to the front door. The problem that I have with those style of racks is that they provide little in the way of actual support for one's bike and they're way too easy to tip over.
Your bank maybe - once I took my bicycle into the bank and they made quite a scene about it. I had a bank employee and a couple of security guards "surrounding" me in just a couple of seconds! Needless to say I closed my accounts there, but it looks like they didn't miss my $30.00 balance because here 20 years later they're still in business.
Old 01-25-12, 08:26 AM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Banks, lol.

The last bank I dealt with had (still has, btw) several branches around town; depending on my business for the day, I'd go to one of any of them. One, closest to my home, is drive-up only, and they give me no grief at all. The next-closest one will accept me in the drive-up, or gladly allow my bike in the vestibule. But the 'main', downtown branch refused to serve me at the drive-up -- but they did nicely say I could bring my bike inside. Nice as they were, I never went back, because their ideology about the drive-up is wrong. (No more unsafe for a bike than for another car, or a ped at a walk-up, which was also in the traffic lane....)
Old 01-25-12, 08:37 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
I'm not a lawyer, but as far as I know, if you have put your property on their property without their consent you don't have much of a case for bailment, and the restrictions on what they can do are pretty low. I think if they took your bike outside and parked it and said that is where they expect bikes to be, and someone came along and took your bike, the police would side with the store owner. It's your neglect for not locking your bike. If they physically threw the bike into the parking lot where the paint got scratched and the saddle torn then you might find them partly at fault. Store owners have a lot of latitude to do as they see fit in their establishment.
Good point. Cars left in inappropriate places are legally moved by property owners all the time. And while notification may be posted in area's that commonly see parking infractions, I doubt it is posted nor even required to be in every possible area you're not allowed to park.

Last edited by AlmostTrick; 01-25-12 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-25-12, 09:00 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 47 Posts
I wouldn't leave a bike unattended and unlocked. If I feel the need to bring it in, I'll use it as a shopping cart if it's one of my bikes with a basket. Just put the items in the basket as I'm shopping. The checkout aisles at my local Albertson's are wide enough to accommodate bringing a bike through. I've run into the store manager once or twice with my bike in tow and she never said a word.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 01-25-12, 09:00 AM
danlikes

Bikes: Sab, Diamondback MB, Kawasiki MB, Huffy hybrid fixed gear junk yard build, Huffy cruiser motorized.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Missing the point totally here. You took the bike into the store so it would be safe. I store employee moved it. Had a thief moved it your post would be a little bit sadder I think.

1st responsibility is on you, Lock it up or get a beater for running errands with. As a cyclist you are responsible for presenting an image of cyclist for us all. Throwing a hissy fit rather than working with the stores representative for a mutually acceptable resolution does not present a good picture. Maybe working with the stores employees would end with getting a parking area for bicyclist assigned.

2nd negotiations with the store. Promoting a cooperative attitude and a market share of cyclist that would be drawn to a cyclist friendly establishment might get you more accommodations. You could try the argument that much like the concealed carry firearms laws in some states, if a business wishes to restrict firearms from there establishment then they are assuming responsibility for your safety and property. Perhaps presenting an argument along those lines that with no bicycle rack and no accommodations made for cyclist the store is by default excepting responsibility for damage or loss to your bicycle.

But then I see signs that say, right to refuse business and not responsible for loss all the time.

So 3rd if the store can careless and does not want to market to cyclist then you can chose to do business with an establishment that does.

Finally if your antagonistic and expect the store to allow carte blanche for you well that is a bit narcissistic.
Old 01-25-12, 09:45 AM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DX-MAN
OK, people....

Stores have the right to say that you cannot bring your bike into the building; it's their store, their business. Ideally, they would say something upon your entry into the store about it.

THEY DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO PUT HANDS ON YOUR PERSONAL PROPERTY AND RELOCATE IT WITHOUT YOUR KNOWLEDGE/CONSENT.

Because I HAVE done it before, I will relate this:

I go to where I left my bike, and it's not there; some 'employee' is hanging around expectantly. My reaction:

"WHERE THE F*** IS MY BIKE? DID YOU MOVE IT? YOU DON'T F***ING TOUCH MY BIKE, I WILL HURT YOU! OH, MY BIKE ISN'T ALLOWED IN HERE? FINE, COME TELL ME AND I'LL MOVE IT, YOU DON'T MOVE MY SH**! MOTHERF***ER, YOU TAKE YOUR LIFE IN YOUR HANDS WHEN YOU TOUCH MY PROPERTY! YOU JUST LOST MY BUSINESS, AND EVERYONE ELSE'S WHO I COME IN CONTACT WITH!"

I don't care; you will deal with me correctly, or you will get embarrassed, to say the least.

You want to call the cops because I said "hurt"? Try and detain me while they come, see how that works for you.... I'll GLADLY leave your damned store, never to return. You ALWAYS have competition who'll be happy to have my business. I'm a combat-trained old soldier with PTSD, I've sat down across from a three-star and stood up in front of terrorists. . . what've you got to impress me with?

(Yup, I get a little heated every now and then....)
Pretty sure you're the one who should be embarrassed if you act like this.
Old 01-25-12, 10:01 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Originally Posted by Pedaleur
Pretty sure you're the one who should be embarrassed if you act like this.
Don't take the posts from DX-MAN too seriously - he likes to stir things up a bit just for the sake of doing it
Old 01-25-12, 10:22 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Bring your bike into the store and lock it to something solid like a column.

Problem solved.

If they don't like it, they'll come and find you, rather than trying to move your bike.
Old 01-25-12, 10:44 AM
Transformer
Fair Weather Cyclist

Bikes: R&M Frog, Moulton TSR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Acting like an entitled jerk, then posting on the internet about "beating the living ****" out of people is a sure way to build respect for the cycling community.
Old 01-25-12, 11:16 AM
Santaria

Bikes: Surly CC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Perhaps the most mature thing would have been to bring a lock and secure your bike outside, followed with the possibility that you forgot your lock or had too many accessories to feel comfortable with the bike being left outside. At that point, you should have first gone to a pawn shop and picked up an appropriately worthless bike. Then you could take both bikes to your home, dropping off the bike you purchased with the anticipation of riding, but can not ride because its too nice for obvious tasks like riding, light shopping or general appreciation. At this stage, you take the bike you did not want, but had to purchase and ride that one to the store, where you would lock it up outside with a $100 lock and 100 lb. chain to appease society by meeting the criteria required. That criteria being you're riding a bike that makes people feel comfortable that you, someone beneath them, are on a bike they deem appreciable to your class and that you've locked it up outside like a good chap. Then when you came out and the employee who was jaded about his working situation or home life stole it, you could proceed to beat the living crap out of him with the 100 lb. chain he refused to take when he cut your lock, stealing the bike you had to purchase to make this thread acceptable to everybody else.

All while not smoking or in any way offending the environment, economy, minorities, majorities, the unemployed, the overwhelmingly employed or fish.
Old 01-25-12, 11:16 AM
recumbenttoad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Transformer
Acting like an entitled jerk, then posting on the internet about "beating the living ****" out of people is a sure way to build respect for the cycling community.

Have you ever had a bike stolen? It changes your perspective quite a bit. Especially when it leaves you stranded.

Where I work I encourage cyclists to bring their bikes into the store for safety. I guess it all depends on how much you value certain customers on what your policies are.
Old 01-25-12, 11:32 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by danlikes
As a cyclist you are responsible for presenting an image of cyclist for us all. Throwing a hissy fit rather than working with the stores representative for a mutually acceptable resolution does not present a good picture. Maybe working with the stores employees would end with getting a parking area for bicyclist assigned.
Huh? Does this apply only to cyclists? If someone cuts me up in traffic while I'm driving and I give them the finger do I get a lecture on how I'm responsible for presenting an image of motorists, or drivers of whatever car I happen to own at the time? If someone walks into me while I'm shopping and I tell them angrily to look where they are going do I get a lecture on presenting an image of pedestrians, or shoppers, or men in general?

I think if someone just took my bike away without even attempting to talk to me first I'd be angry. If the OP had been approached by staff who asked him not to take the bike inside and he threw a hissy fit that would be a different thing entirely.

2nd negotiations with the store. Promoting a cooperative attitude and a market share of cyclist that would be drawn to a cyclist friendly establishment might get you more accommodations. You could try the argument that much like the concealed carry firearms laws in some states, if a business wishes to restrict firearms from there establishment then they are assuming responsibility for your safety and property. Perhaps presenting an argument along those lines that with no bicycle rack and no accommodations made for cyclist the store is by default excepting responsibility for damage or loss to your bicycle.
I can't see how you'd make this stick any more than expecting them to take responsibility for your car if you parked it to shop there. And if the shop considers the cycling community to be sufficiently small as to be inconsequential they'll just ignore the concern anyway.

So 3rd if the store can careless and does not want to market to cyclist then you can chose to do business with an establishment that does.
This is the key to it. Let the manager (and his manager, if it's a chain) know that if they won't provide a facility for you then you won't shop there any more. Saying how indignant you are about something but continuing to shop there tells them you're just blowing smoke.

Finally if your antagonistic and expect the store to allow carte blanche for you well that is a bit narcissistic.
There's a world of difference between turning up with a bad attitude and getting angry when someone just takes what is yours without even attempting to locate you or ask you to move it first.
Old 01-25-12, 11:56 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
If you park your car in the wrong place, like blocking somebody's driveway, somebody else will tow it away, and you'll spend a lot of money to get your car back. Think of leaving your bike in somebody's store without telling them about it first as an analogy.

When I want to take my bike into a store or restaurant, I either explicitly ask first, or I make myself very conspicuous, like walking past somebody in a uniform with the bike, and politely making eye contact; if they don't stop me, they've granted implicit permission. I never walk around a store walking my bike (except REI), but I've been known to ask a manager if I can leave it somewhere that it will be out of sight and protected, for a few minutes while I purchase a few items. Asking for permission is a good thing, and reminding them that I came to part with some money usually puts them in a mood to say yes.

Very occasionally somebody will say no. They don't want a bike in their establishment, for whatever reason. You have to respect that, and bring your money elsewhere.

Hopefully the OP was being dramatic about beating the store employee down for moving his bike, but, obviously, going to jail isn't going to improve your life in any way, and that's ignoring the morality of the situation.

Paragraphs are one of the best inventions ever. The OP finishes with a complaint about headaches ... won't somebody please think of the [strike]children[/strike] readers!
Old 01-25-12, 11:58 AM
chandltp

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by danlikes
[Missing the point totally here. You took the bike into the store so it would be safe. I store employee moved it. Had a thief moved it your post would be a little bit sadder I think.
+1 Just because it was left it in the store doesn't magically make it safe, as evidenced by someone moving it. My bikes are safer outside locked up than inside unlocked (assuming no one is watching it).

I've asked to bring it in at a couple of places where the employees are at a counter and can see the bike and know it belongs to me. Mostly so I don't have to go out to a snow covered bike and there isn't a good spot to lock it. It would be pretty easy for someone to walk out with it, but unlikely.

I live in a low theft area and I don't take anything off my bike when I park it. If I have to take stuff off the bike, I don't want to leave the bike.
Old 01-25-12, 02:03 PM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
If you park your car in the wrong place, like blocking somebody's driveway, somebody else will tow it away, and you'll spend a lot of money to get your car back. Think of leaving your bike in somebody's store without telling them about it first as an analogy.
Except there are clearly established rules and laws to cover parking situations with motor vehicles including the requirement to post rules at private property when it is a location where the owner invites the public to park. If the bike in the store was left in a location that was unsafe for other customers, blocked other's access or was in violation of posted rules, then I'd agree moving it might be acceptable (but by moving it they took responsibility for its safety just as a towing company is responsible for the car they tow away so putting it outside without securing it would most likely make them liable for it if it were stolen).

I probably would have gone to the location where I left the bike and, seeing it was gone, called the police to file a stolen bike report within earshot of the staff.
Old 01-25-12, 07:21 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Originally Posted by DX-MAN
Banks, lol.

The last bank I dealt with had (still has, btw) several branches around town; depending on my business for the day, I'd go to one of any of them. One, closest to my home, is drive-up only, and they give me no grief at all. The next-closest one will accept me in the drive-up, or gladly allow my bike in the vestibule. But the 'main', downtown branch refused to serve me at the drive-up -- but they did nicely say I could bring my bike inside. Nice as they were, I never went back, because their ideology about the drive-up is wrong. (No more unsafe for a bike than for another car, or a ped at a walk-up, which was also in the traffic lane....)
After a little time going through the drive-through at a different bank, I got to know the teller that would let me do a transaction from the bicycle and those tellers that wouldn't. I would ride in and scan the window for "my" teller, and then ride into her pull-thru. There were signs "Motorized Vehicles Only" but for some reason she let me slide. The other tellers obviously knew what she and I were up to, but nobody told the boss, I guess -
Old 01-25-12, 07:44 PM
mtbikerinpa
Shimano Certified

Bikes: 92 Giant Sedona ATX Custom

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I work as a cashier in Kmart and I bike to work most days. The management told me to park the bike(as an employee) in the breakroom. Secured and secluded with good people. Nobody gives me a second look walking all the way through the store. Even as a plain clothes customer I walk through the store holding the handlebar stem. Takes up virtually the same volume as a cart but more manuverable. No real risk on thier part if you aren't riding it but holding it. To park it in the registers is not only discourteous in case they get in a rush and need to activate a regester(happens a lot), but it is also risky between front of the store and any high traffic area to just leave it where people with carts will hit it. My store deals with a lot of elderly shoppers and needless to say the precision of the driving is not high...

If it is a small store, a lot of the time there is a window or an interior area near the entrance, but only in smalltownism areas. Lock trumps most, but hand always wins where it can work.
Old 01-25-12, 08:59 PM
yep202

Bikes: giant revel 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by recumbenttoad
Have you ever had a bike stolen? It changes your perspective quite a bit. Especially when it leaves you stranded.

Where I work I encourage cyclists to bring their bikes into the store for safety. I guess it all depends on how much you value certain customers on what your policies are.
Ok in my post, ( the very first one) I said "where is my bike?" How was I being a jerk really. All I did after he told me where it was was set what I had wanted to buy on the nearest self walked over to my bike and rode off. I didn't say anything to anyone until I called the next day. Even then I wasn't being a jerk. Yeah you cold tell I was pissed by.the way I said " where is my bike??" But big deal. Somewhere in this thread something got messed up and now your thinking I was acting uncivilized. The first thing I thought of after he told me where my bike was was the image I'm leaving on the people watching me. Ok so wanting to beat the crap out of the guy was maybe a bit too much. I'll admit. So when I called this is what happened. I talked to a manager she had asked if I knew his name which I didn't but I gave a discrption*** of wagging he looked like. If she does have the.right person the have cameras. So she had said she was sorry and also said she could belive one of her employees would do that. I said " I belive the.situation could have been handed better then what it was. She agreed. End of conversion. I could of been a jerk and got into it with her but as seeing as this is a a bit of my fault I thought otherwise. As far as buying a lock yeah ill get one. But before I do that ill ask marsh if its ok to bring my bike in. Again tho in the.store I was.acting civilized. Thank you for reading.
Old 01-25-12, 10:48 PM
recumbenttoad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yep202
Ok in my post, ( the very first one) I said "where is my bike?" How was I being a jerk really. All I did after he told me where it was was set what I had wanted to buy on the nearest self walked over to my bike and rode off. I didn't say anything to anyone until I called the next day. Even then I wasn't being a jerk. Yeah you cold tell I was pissed by.the way I said " where is my bike??" But big deal. Somewhere in this thread something got messed up and now your thinking I was acting uncivilized. The first thing I thought of after he told me where my bike was was the image I'm leaving on the people watching me. Ok so wanting to beat the crap out of the guy was maybe a bit too much. I'll admit. So when I called this is what happened. I talked to a manager she had asked if I knew his name which I didn't but I gave a discrption*** of wagging he looked like. If she does have the.right person the have cameras. So she had said she was sorry and also said she could belive one of her employees would do that. I said " I belive the.situation could have been handed better then what it was. She agreed. End of conversion. I could of been a jerk and got into it with her but as seeing as this is a a bit of my fault I thought otherwise. As far as buying a lock yeah ill get one. But before I do that ill ask marsh if its ok to bring my bike in. Again tho in the.store I was.acting civilized. Thank you for reading.
I think you're barking at the wrong guy. I'm on your side.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.