Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The Final Word on Roubaix...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The Final Word on Roubaix...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-13, 01:36 AM
midschool22
Digging in the pain cave.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Old 12-11-13, 01:43 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 99 Posts
As far as I know, you cannot trademark a place name in Canada which makes anyone's claim to the name Roubaix here, invalid.

Whoever allowed "Roubaix" to be registered as a singular name made a mistake.

Specialized Roubaix, Roubaix Cafe, Fuji Roubaix... no-one should get that confused.
Old 12-11-13, 05:54 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by darb85
while i understand why people are upset about this, why is no one talking about trek killing a local race for using the name Majiot june, or sueing another bike related company for calling something the Alp De Huez version. Or Cannondale or anyone else, this is business, cold hearted, but business.

Also you do realize that not buying things from local shops that carry specialized that you are punishing them for something they have no control over. And no, changing brands or stopping selling specialized is not always an option.
I did a nominal search for what you are claiming. Coming up empty on the Trek stuff.

If anyone has rights to the term Maillot Jaune, it would be Amaury Sport Organization (ASO), not Trek. Trek does not put on the TdF. I know, if you are a "99er" if feels that way, but that's not true.

So what are you talking about?

I am assuming that your "majiot june" is a major typo.

And the Burke family does not own Alpe d'Huez.

Last edited by roadwarrior; 12-11-13 at 08:22 AM.
Old 12-11-13, 06:13 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by roadwarrior
I did a nomical search for what you are claiming. Coming up empty on the Trek stuff.

If anoyone has rights to the term Maillot Jaune, it would be Amaury Sport Organization (ASO), not Trek. Trek does not put on the TdF. I know, if you are a "99er" if feels that way, but that's not true.

So what are you talking about?

I am assuming that your "majiot june" is a major typo.

And the Burke family does not own Alpe d'Huez.

Old 12-11-13, 07:37 AM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by roadwarrior
I did a nomical search for what you are claiming. Coming up empty on the Trek stuff.
Trek doesn't have the trademark for "Maillot Jaune," the Societe du Tour de France does. https://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield...804:u2vm59.2.1

However, running a bike race doesn't give ASO some sort of "natural right" to the term. They had to file for a trademark, just like everyone else.

Plus, Trek does defend their trademarks. In the past few years, they went after "Trek Winery," ElecTrek (electric bicycles) and Subaru for the "Crosstrek."

https://www.northbaybusinessjournal.c...-trek-bicycle/
https://www.wdtimes.com/news/local/ar...b149da899.html
https://www.schwimmerlegal.com/2012/1...trek-cars.html
Old 12-11-13, 07:55 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
Trek doesn't have the trademark for "Maillot Jaune," the Societe du Tour de France does. https://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield...804:u2vm59.2.1

However, running a bike race doesn't give ASO some sort of "natural right" to the term. They had to file for a trademark, just like everyone else.

Plus, Trek does defend their trademarks. In the past few years, they went after "Trek Winery," ElecTrek (electric bicycles) and Subaru for the "Crosstrek."

https://www.northbaybusinessjournal.c...-trek-bicycle/
https://www.wdtimes.com/news/local/ar...b149da899.html
https://www.schwimmerlegal.com/2012/1...trek-cars.html
The winery was also in Wisconsin and Trek lost. What is your point? That Specialized isn't the only litigious company in *******?

Old 12-11-13, 07:55 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
The one industry insider story I know regarding Specialized paints the company as the lowest of utter scum. It is 100% accurate, I know the participants well. Of course litigating with a little bike shop in Canada over the Roubaix name is fully consistent with that mentality.

So it goes.
my knowledge of how specialized operates at corporate level is scummy also. i dont know why anyone wants to do business with them. why do american consumers see them as a beacon of made in usa? its a false impression.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 12-11-13, 08:17 AM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
There is no such thing as a "worldwide trademark."

Trademarks are handled on a nation-by-nation basis. There is no international agreement about honoring trademarks, as there is with copyright.

ASI (Fuji) has the trademark in the US, and may give them some leverage over telling Specialized how to handle the case; it's impossible to say without seeing the agreement (which isn't going to happen). However, they don't have the trademark in Canada, and cannot instruct someone else to use the mark there.
ASI claims prior rights in Canada because they were first to use the mark. First use usually trumps registration. Plus, the license agreement likely addresses the issue. I am surprised though that ASI didn't register in Canada. Wonder if they have an EU registration? I'm too lazy to look.

ASI doing all sorts of license, consent and coexistence agreements is risking losing its trademark rights. Its brand already is arguably diluted through third party use, like by Specialized.
Old 12-11-13, 08:56 AM
Fleabiscuit

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghost Ryder
That's what happens when you call out us Crazy Canucks.

That guys was taking it out of context, & brought up that lame statement.
This whole "winter blues" has reached an all time high this year.
There's way too many troll popping up lately.

You had the right to stomp that troll!
I am no troll and my comment about the Canadian military was said in jest. It was meant as a joke even if it was not funny. Canada is the US's closest ally and I really don't advocate military takeover of the country. We don't need strip malls and Wal Marts on every street corner in the north, not to mention how it would affect my favorite Canadian export, the NHL.

Most of the Canadians I know, can take a joke. Apparently the ones who pull up stakes and set up shop in The Peoples Republic (or Chinese Taipei if you prefer) lose their sense of humor. Stay classy, my Canuck friends.
Old 12-11-13, 09:04 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
This is what Specialized should have done from day one.

Whoever authorized the ham-handed attack on the small LBS ought to be fired.
sounds to me that bullying is a corporate culture there. i bet he got a hearty slap on the back for being the man.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 12-11-13, 09:09 AM
Wesley36

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fleabiscuit
We don't need strip malls and Wal Marts on every street corner in the north, not to mention how it would affect my favorite Canadian export, the NHL.
Apparently the ones who pull up stakes and set up shop in The Peoples Republic (or Chinese Taipei if you prefer) lose their sense of humor.
lol. Way too late on your first paragraph (strip malls and Wal Marts aplenty up here), the NHL Commissioner has been re-writing the hockey rules books to attract American sports dollars for decades.

And on the second point, you are still so lost you think you have been found. There is no place in the world that annoys The People's Republic of China quite like the Democratic Republic of China (AKA Taiwan) - you might be confused because they both have "China" in the name.

What you are doing is equivalent to calling a Confederate soldier a "yankee". It only shows your ignorance.
Old 12-11-13, 09:20 AM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
The Final Word seems to be accompanied by a great many gibberish words. Just saying.
Old 12-11-13, 09:21 AM
Fleabiscuit

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Olympic team from the country in question has Chinese Taipei on their jerseys (or sweaters as they say in some areas) or was it just my imagination?

At least the bike shop guy got his way. It's good to know anyone with a sob story is exempt from the rules. I wonder if the bikes shop owner will be as accommodating when someone infringes upon his trademark or brand.
Old 12-11-13, 09:31 AM
Wesley36

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Olympic team from the country in question has Chinese Taipei on their jerseys (or sweaters as they say in some areas) or was it just my imagination?

At least the bike shop guy got his way. It's good to know anyone with a sob story is exempt from the rules. I wonder if the bikes shop owner will be as accommodating when someone infringes upon his trademark or brand.
From my post above, since you seem to have missed it:

"There is no place in the world that annoys The People's Republic of China quite like the Democratic Republic of China (AKA Taiwan) - you might be confused because they both have "China" in the name. "

The civil war in China after WWII ended with the Communists winning the mainland, their enemies retreated to the island of Taiwan. Both sides claim to be the rightful heirs to a single unified China - obviously holding in excess of 95% of the territory makes PRC's claim stronger.
Old 12-11-13, 09:44 AM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
As far as I know, you cannot trademark a place name in Canada which makes anyone's claim to the name Roubaix here, invalid.
You can in a variety of circumstances. It sort of depends if the mark is considered descriptive or misdiscriptive of the place of origin of the product. Will purchasers assume that the goods come from Roubaix? If Roubaix is not regarded as the place of origin of bicycles then it may not be a problem. For example, using Riviera as part of a mark does not necessarily lead the public to assume the product comes from the Riviera ; instead it conjures up a certain mood or atmosphere. It is hard to draw the line though. For example, the mark FRENCH ROOM for shoes was found geographically misdescriptive of the place of origin and denied registration.
Old 12-11-13, 10:12 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Most of the Canadians I know, can take a joke. Apparently the ones who pull up stakes and set up shop in The Peoples Republic (or Chinese Taipei if you prefer) lose their sense of humor. Stay classy, my Canuck friends.
All the Canucks I know can take a joke but when that joke is about dead or wounded Canadians in Afghanistan that **** just isn't funny.

If you don't understand the difference between The Chinese Mainland run by the Chinese Communist Party and the free, democratic country of Taiwan you should do some reading as your country has signed agreements to put American lives on the line to defend one of them.

As to the issue at hand, clearly you have not read the trademark filing, the statements issued by ASI (who lisenced the trademark) and the most recent actions by the CEO of Specialized itself all of which have rendered your assertions moot.

Please don't 'stay ignorant' flea biscuit.

Last edited by Bob Dopolina; 12-11-13 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-11-13, 10:29 AM
Fleabiscuit

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
All the Canucks I know can take a joke but when that joke is about dead or wounded Canadians in Afghanistan that **** just isn't funny.

If you don't understand the difference between The Chinese Mainland run by the Chinese Communist Party and the free, democratic country of Taiwan you should do some reading as your country has signed agreements to put American lives on the line to defend one of them.

As to the issue at hand, clearly you have not read the trademark filing, the statements issued by ASI (who lisenced the trademark) and the most recent actions by the CEO of Specialized itself all of which have rendered your assertions mute.

Please don't 'stay ignorant' flea biscuit.
Way to hide behind false patriotism to take a shot at someone. I did not make a joke about dead or wounded soldiers in Afghanistan. The fact that you would say that only confirms what I already knew. You are scum.

The CEO of specialized had no other choice but to cave on this issue I suspect his decision had more to do with the court of public opinion than anything else.

Also, I am aware of the agreement the US has with Taiwan/Chinese Taipei and it makes me sick to think of a US serviceman potentially risking his life to save and protect the likes of you.
Old 12-11-13, 10:39 AM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
The winery was also in Wisconsin and Trek lost. What is your point? That Specialized isn't the only litigious company in *******?
Yes. I thought that was very clear, given the context.
Old 12-11-13, 10:48 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Way to hide behind false patriotism to take a shot at someone. I did not make a joke about dead or wounded soldiers in Afghanistan. The fact that you would say that only confirms what I already knew. You are scum
False patriotism? Scum?

The only reasons you could possibly have the balls to make this post after posting things like, 'Canada has a military? Who knew?" And then something like: 'I thought it was guys on horses with silly uniforms' and a mustache comment I can't recall is that the thread was deleted.

After your error was pointed out you then suggested invading Canada. Ever heard of Manifest Destiny? I bet not.

Go ahead and try to backtrack on your disrespect. Those who saw your original posts will know what you said even though the thread has been deleted. Call me all the names you want. I am still here and I am still breathing which is more that can be said for the dead Canadians you find so comical.

Last edited by Bob Dopolina; 12-11-13 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-11-13, 10:51 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 327 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12037 Post(s)
Liked 6,820 Times in 3,555 Posts
Unnecessary friction. You two need to bury it or drop it or both before tempers get the best of you.
Old 12-11-13, 10:53 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Originally Posted by BillyD
Unnecessary friction. You two need to bury it or drop it or both before tempers get the best of you.
Ban me for life. This **** I will not drop.

Old 12-11-13, 10:58 AM
Fleabiscuit

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This piece of garbage isn't worth my time. I'll let him wrap himself up and hide behind his Made in China flag of false patriotism.
Old 12-11-13, 11:07 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

This piece of garbage isn't worth my time. I'll let him wrap himself up and hide behind his Made in China flag of false patriotism.
Arrogance and ignorance are the worst possible combined traits. Your example is teachable. You are not.

Old 12-11-13, 11:09 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4280 Post(s)
Liked 3,005 Times in 1,847 Posts
Man, and here I'd thought we'd finally gotten a thread that wasn't destined for trollheim.

Old 12-11-13, 11:13 AM
Fleabiscuit

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Arrogance and ignorance are the worst possible combined traits. Your example is teachable. You are not.
Sticks and stones Bdop. Repeating the same BS over and over doesn't make it true. Keep up the fake patriotism and tough talk. It's good for a laugh.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.