Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Fat guy falls!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-15, 04:40 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
As long as you didn't hurt the bike, you're good...... Actually, being clipped in helps you hold the bike off the ground - don't ask how I know!
Old 02-03-15, 08:40 AM
GravelMN

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by road1bike
Picked up my road bike today, and on the 5 mile ride home I fell at the two busiest intersections around!
So I went out and practiced this morning on a bike path with no cars. Every other stroke I unclipped. The right side I kept banging my knee into the frame. The left side I could not unclip! 5 miles total

I came home and started looking for directions on how to adjust the pedal. The bike shop left no instructions and no tool. I looked on the pedal and saw the directions. Loosened the clips 1 click. Went back out and realized I could click out in either direction. Much better. Another 5 miles
Glad you weren't injured. Your story is all too common with those new to clipless. The LBS or the rider just threads on the pedals and heads out into traffic resulting in very preventable falls. Some get hurt and blame the pedals (not referring to the OP) and then the BF panic mongers jump on board with their tales of doom for those foolish enough to ride clipless. You did the absolute correct thing (after your first ride home) by learning about the pedals, cleats and clipless system, making the proper adjustments and practicing in a low risk area until you were familiar with the new equipment. If your pedal retention and cleats are properly adjusted, clipping out should be smooth, intuitive and easy. It always amazes me how many riders have been clipless for years and are still yanking their cleats off the pedal with the factory settings (which IMHO are usually way higher retention than the vast majority of riders need or would want). If you are using SPD with single release cleats, I suggest you try the multi-release cleats to further reduce your chances of a failed clip-out. With the pedals set to the minimum retention needed to prevent accidental clipouts and multi-release cleats, you can easily step off the pedal in pretty much any direction except straight forward and straight back. In the case of a collision or other accident (like going over the bars), it doesn't even require excessive force to release the cleat straight up off the pedal.

Last edited by GravelMN; 02-03-15 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-03-15, 10:07 AM
ray.garza

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus Limited and 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What kind of pedals do you have? On my old SPD i had to adjust the tension screws until I got it the way I liked it. Then I switched to the crank brother egg beater candy's; no adjustment needed.
Old 02-03-15, 06:21 PM
fmt_biker

Bikes: Trek 970, Surly LHT,Gunnar Roadie, Santa Cruz Heckler, Trek Domane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I remember staying away from clipless for years ... and then FINALLY trying them. Just like you ... fall on the first ride into an intersection. With a few months it didn't even register in my mind ... i un-clip automatically.
Old 02-03-15, 09:26 PM
road1bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for all the help, I have shimano 5800 pedals. I purchased the pedals at a different location and had the bike shop install them. They never mentioned an adjustment, overall I like the bike but considering I purchased a bike, bibbs, shorts, shoes, etc. The "fitting" was me on a trainer and the guy(kid really) made a few adjustments. I had to figure out how the shifters worked when I too the bike out of the store. No one really went over the bike with me.

I learn a lot from the people on this forum, and for that I am grateful!

How do I find a certified fitter?
Old 02-03-15, 09:42 PM
RomansFiveEight

Bikes: Nashbar CR5

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by road1bike
Thanks for all the help, I have shimano 5800 pedals. I purchased the pedals at a different location and had the bike shop install them. They never mentioned an adjustment, overall I like the bike but considering I purchased a bike, bibbs, shorts, shoes, etc. The "fitting" was me on a trainer and the guy(kid really) made a few adjustments. I had to figure out how the shifters worked when I too the bike out of the store. No one really went over the bike with me.

I learn a lot from the people on this forum, and for that I am grateful!

How do I find a certified fitter?
Check out local bike shops' websites and see if any offer professional fitting services. See what they offer. Also, call ahead and see what exactly they are doing. Ask them if they are certified, etc.

Hey, you got better than I did. When I bought my bike, I had it ordered. They pointed at it on the floor assembled and said "There it is". And I figured out how to undo the brakes and quick releases and loaded it into my car. Used online resources to figure it out. I bought the wifes bike from a different shop, and mentioned that. They were so awesome, not only did they fit my wifes bike for free (basic fit, like you got); they said they'd do mine for free too if I brought it in. Guess which one I'll be doing most of my purchases at from now on...
Old 02-04-15, 12:19 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Liked 1,125 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by arex
I won't do clipless for this very reason. I know how to get out of toeclips really quick, I don't even have to think about it.

If you are clipped and strapped in properly, you have to take a hand off the bar, reach down and hit the clasp to get 'em loose , then pull up and out on the shoe cleat.

Much more involved than clipless where you just rotate your foot to the left or right

clips and straps are still more secure for some venues though -- i rum clips and double straps on my track bike still