Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I saw a dude wearing one of those elevation training masks

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

I saw a dude wearing one of those elevation training masks

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-16, 04:35 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
There may be more to EPO than hematocrit. So don't know. I do know there is a limit on red blood count allowed - EPO or not and it differs by gender, but for men it is 50% (I think).
You can get there without EPO.

The best cyclists in the world are living near sea level. Some sleep with hypoxia setups and some don't. A few live at altitude, and they excel at the altitude races, but don't do as well at the sea level.

My thinking is the trained pro/super elite finds limits that more red blood cells would not help. The more O2 you supply, the more waste you get. So there is a balance of something. Lactate handling being something new to look at that traditionally was tested by sticking figures, can now be tested during activity.
Old 06-06-16, 04:55 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10223 Post(s)
Liked 5,947 Times in 3,204 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
There may be more to EPO than hematocrit. So don't know. I do know there is a limit on red blood count allowed - EPO or not and it differs by gender, but for men it is 50% (I think).
You can get there without EPO.
Thanks. The clinical world officially starts to worry about sludging and clotting at 52 in men and 48 in women. You can certainly get there without EPO, but you wouldn't want to. I have also heard there may be more to EPO than hematocrit. It may stimulate blood vessel proliferation. It is known to promote the differentiation of blood vessel precursor cells.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 06-06-16 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-06-16, 05:22 PM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Wrong. Train high and live low. How do Everest climbers train? They go high and stress themselves and go back to base camp to recover.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 06-06-16, 06:21 PM
Jadesfire 

Bikes: '88 Bianchi, '94ish Trek

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Not able to see pressure matters here. %O2 - yes.
Ah...true. %O2 is the concern. I was talking more about the comparison with living or training at a higher altitude: with lower atm pressure, there is less available O2 so the body has to compensate with higher RBC production. But the mask under discussion doesn't do any of the things either one of us is talking about. It just makes the breathing process more difficult and supposedly develops normally underdeveloped muscle groups, or so I have heard.
Old 06-06-16, 06:26 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I don't know the purpose of the mask. It may be a breathing trainer of some type.
I was just thinking the reduced O2 aspect - if that even is an aspect - for improving HCT / increasing RBC was not going to do it.
I used a "lung" trainer 30 years ago (if interested I'll post) and it really helped me take fuller breaths. I used to hack a lot.
Old 06-06-16, 06:39 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
My own subjective observations:
- I live at 5300'MSL.
- On a mtn climb at about 9500'MSL I need to start consciously forcing myself to make every breath as deep as possible.
- Above 12,000'MSL my breathing transitions to breathing/gasping as fast/deep as possible.
- By 14,000' I'm stopping every 1/10 mile to catch my breath.
Sounds like my first car when I drove across the Rockies....
Old 06-06-16, 10:36 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by San Rensho
Wrong. Train high and live low. How do Everest climbers train? They go high and stress themselves and go back to base camp to recover.
They also have Sherpas to carry their oxygen tanks for them.
Old 06-07-16, 02:44 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It can turn you into a bit of a ******y bossy type like this guy:

The mask doesn't reduce oxygen at all, just makes it harder for you to breathe in, so as mentioned, it may train you to breathe more deeply with diaphramatic/belly breathing.
Old 06-07-16, 02:52 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
Agreed.
With O2 artificially restricted, you can't push the training intensity as high.
This is what I would think. All you are effectively doing is decreasing intensity. The only advantage I could possibly see would be that you can get your cardio up to a high level while not having to put out as much power (since O2 is restricted). Maybe that would give you the benefit of a hard cardio workout without the same level of fatigue in the legs the next day. But it just seems to me to artificially interfere with your body "processes" during a workout and then removing it later is not going to be beneficial long term.