Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-16, 08:36 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Liked 969 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Salubrious
You've encountered linked brakes? I've not seen that on a bicycle before! Moto Guzzi had a patent for linked brakes on their motorbikes. IOW, yes, rod brakes allow for that, at least on my machine (I've had two) and every machine I've seen.
I have only encountered linked brakes, when rod operated. I have owned 4 and ridden a few more, and they were all linked, all but one were the same brand. It's probably a local thing, to accomodate one handed riding. That brake design is much older than the cell phone of course, but it was probably because it was a luxury that replaced the coaster brake and therefore had to allow for one handed riding. Or it was considered safer, with the right adjustment of the brake balance.

But the Raleigh system looked the same, except for the rim brakes, so I wondered whether it was split. Those Guzzi's are hydraulicly linked, or just rod operated?
Old 07-26-16, 08:37 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Liked 2,069 Times in 1,261 Posts
I've not experienced that on my BSA Golden Deluxe. No matter how much braking action I ask of the rear wheel, I don't get an uncontrolled braking.
I must be sniffing glue, the stirrups are not before the stays!
This was my pre war Hercules that stopped fairly well but it did have 26" wheels which may have helped the braking action. I loved the slack angle ride.
Old 07-26-16, 09:12 AM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Liked 281 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by Stadjer
I have only encountered linked brakes, when rod operated. I have owned 4 and ridden a few more, and they were all linked, all but one were the same brand. It's probably a local thing, to accomodate one handed riding. That brake design is much older than the cell phone of course, but it was probably because it was a luxury that replaced the coaster brake and therefore had to allow for one handed riding. Or it was considered safer, with the right adjustment of the brake balance.

But the Raleigh system looked the same, except for the rim brakes, so I wondered whether it was split. Those Guzzi's are hydraulicly linked, or just rod operated?
Rod brakes were what was before there were cable operated brakes. The template for the Raleigh Dawn Tourist and the like (your typical rod brake machine with slack geometry) was designed for military service in World War 1.

The Guzzi used a hydraulic system. They can be the devil to bleed properly!
Old 07-26-16, 09:20 AM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Liked 620 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider
What a gorgeous bicycle!

More pictures, please?

Thanks [MENTION=429363]DQRider[/MENTION]. I fell in love with this bike a couple of years ago at the Canadian Vintage Bicycle Show and scooped it up for the healthy sum of $165.00. It had a cheapo black molded saddle and a few scratches and likely hard original tires. I treated it to a new B67, the Delta Cruisers, Velo Bitz pump pegs, MEC Audax bags and a Portland Design Works bell. It is a 23" frame (my size) and the bike I wanted as a teen. I'm riding it more and more lately but do not like the 18 tooth cog. Geared a little too high. I prefer the 22 cog on my DL1. You can see more here https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...e-capsule.html
1971 Robin Hood 3 Speed "Sports Model" Time Capsule
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC01890small840.jpg (101.6 KB, 254 views)
DSC01892small840.jpg (102.5 KB, 256 views)
DSC01895small840.jpg (100.5 KB, 251 views)
DSC01898small840.jpg (74.5 KB, 254 views)

Last edited by browngw; 07-26-16 at 09:37 AM. Reason: correct link
Old 07-27-16, 08:16 AM
Stadjer

Rod brakes were what was before there were cable operated brakes. The template for the Raleigh Dawn Tourist and the like (your typical rod brake machine with slack geometry) was designed for military service in World War 1.

The Guzzi used a hydraulic system. They can be the devil to bleed properly!
Rod brakes are still produced and have a few advantages over cables. I like the army bikes, found some nice reads, bikes were already used in the Boer war, by both sides. No 3-speeds though, or maybe just for the higher ranks in the 30's.
Old 07-27-16, 04:08 PM
slowtostart

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I took my DL-1 out for a 3-mile test run. I had intended to go longer than that, but realized that the shifter housing was once again creeping past the fulcrum sleeve, leaving me with high gear only. It wasn't a hilly route, but, still, a couple of lower gears would be nice. The braking is reasonably sorted out now though the front rim isn't exactly round so it pulsates somewhat violently as I slow down. But it does slow me down! Once back home, I popped in a brand new plastic fulcrum sleeve, which should be good to go for another 25 years. I'm thinking I'll commute on this bike tomorrow (6 miles round trip) and see how it feels.

Nice seat bag!
Old 07-28-16, 08:08 AM
BigChief

Liked 104 Times in 86 Posts
I think I can explain an inconsistency of my rod brake test. When I first installed my new Kool Stop inserts, trailing position, they contacted the rim perfectly without needing any dressing of the pad tops. Now that I reversed the extension arms to mount the pads in the correct leading position, the right side contacts before the left. I didn't notice this before. So, I really need to dress off the right side pad before I can make an accurate assessment of leading position pad mounting. Still, Raleigh engineers did add these extension arms to lower the braking pressure of the pads against the rims. The same effect can be had by using less pressure on the hand lever while braking. If you modified the pad holders or found different holders with slightly longer bolts, you could mount them directly on the stirrup with no offset and have a stronger front brake. Something to consider.
Old 07-28-16, 09:37 AM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Liked 281 Times in 126 Posts
@ BigChief My BSA has arms that place the brake pads just before the stirrup in the front, just FWIW. They're a pretty rugged assembly and that is where I found the original pads. I'm pretty sure this is done to increase braking power. I've seen similar things done in motorbike drum brakes, called 'leading brake shoes'.
Old 07-28-16, 11:43 AM
BigChief

That may be true. I'll report back after I do a proper test. My last test was false because the pads were uneven. That alone would have produced poor results.
Old 07-30-16, 06:56 AM
BigChief

Now, it's finished. All the bugs are worked out. Chased the shifting hangup to burrs and rough surfaces on the edges of the driver legs and clutch. Still needs a new indicator pin, but roadsters need part number 126 for the longer 6 1/4" axle. Luckily, found some on the bay. The brakes on this bike were never right. Had to reform the left rear stirrup guide and swap the front brake arms around to get the pads in the correct leading position. Then, I could set up the brakes and dress off the pads for even contact. Note: it helps to have emery cloth for this. I had to use sand paper and it was a pest to use. While the bike is on the rack, I rip emery cloth, around 280 grit, into strips, hold it against the rim, put gentle pressure on the brake lever and draw it through. I also geared it down with a 22T cog from the original 16T. So, I had my first real ride this morning, mostly on dirt roads. These bikes are really nice once you get things working right. It was a very pleasant ride, didn't want to stop, but chores were waiting
Old 07-30-16, 09:32 AM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Liked 177 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
Now, it's finished. All the bugs are worked out. Chased the shifting hangup to burrs and rough surfaces on the edges of the driver legs and clutch. Still needs a new indicator pin, but roadsters need part number 126 for the longer 6 1/4" axle. Luckily, found some on the bay. The brakes on this bike were never right. Had to reform the left rear stirrup guide and swap the front brake arms around to get the pads in the correct leading position. Then, I could set up the brakes and dress off the pads for even contact. Note: it helps to have emery cloth for this. I had to use sand paper and it was a pest to use. While the bike is on the rack, I rip emery cloth, around 280 grit, into strips, hold it against the rim, put gentle pressure on the brake lever and draw it through. I also geared it down with a 22T cog from the original 16T. So, I had my first real ride this morning, mostly on dirt roads. These bikes are really nice once you get things working right. It was a very pleasant ride, didn't want to stop, but chores were waiting
That's friggin' beautiful. What brake pads are you using?
Old 07-30-16, 10:27 AM
BigChief

I'm using salmon Kool Stop inserts. I'm happy with em, although the Fibrax might be the better choice, I was trying to keep investment in this bike down. But now, I think it's a keeper. BTW, DQRider was correct about the leading position for the front pads. Mounted trailing, they're weak, mounted center, they're grabby and lock easily on gravel. Leading with a careful setup is the way to go.
Old 07-30-16, 03:30 PM
Quebber

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Sport, early 70s Peugeot, early 70s Schwinn Suburban, '78 Raleigh DL1, '91 Merlin Titanium Road Bike, '86 Bianchi (model not yet known)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beauty
Old 07-30-16, 03:57 PM
nlerner

Liked 7,008 Times in 2,688 Posts
Very nice, [MENTION=398265]BigChief[/MENTION]!
Old 07-30-16, 11:08 PM
AngeloDolce

Bikes: Many English 3 Speeds

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; **
Originally Posted by Stadjer
Yes, but aren't these rods operating both brakes at the same time? Mine are, but I have different type. The weight transfer is only happening when the bike actually slows down, not by just applying the brakes. If the front wheel slips over a slippery surface, there's hardly any weight transfer except your bodyweight moving in the direction of that surface.

[MENTION=442029]Stadjer[/MENTION],

I suspect that you are looking at Gazelle bicycles in the Netherlands, while other posters are looking at Raleigh bicycles in the US. They both have rod brakes, but the handlebars and rod attachments work differently.

I've ridden 1950's-70's Raleighs with (rod) stirrup brakes, I also have 1960's Rudges and Gazelles with rod activated drum brakes. The English made bicycles (Raleighs and Rudges) have separate rods, guides, and attachments for the front and rear brakes. Using one brake does not affect the other.

The brake levers on the Gazelles are joined in the center of the handlebars, so that moving either brake lever applies both brakes. The connections to the front and rear brakes are joined at the handlebar, so it is not possible to use one brake without the other.

Incidentally, I bought the Rudges from a Dutch engineer that moved to the US. They had English handlebars for rod brakes, but the drum brakes preferred in the Netherlands where it was sold.
Old 07-30-16, 11:11 PM
AngeloDolce

Bikes: Many English 3 Speeds

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
rod Brake photos - English and Dutch

I've attached a photo of the Rudge and Gazelle handlebar attachments for the brake rods
Attached Images
IMG_20160730_231333Rudge.jpg (89.2 KB, 156 views)
IMG_20160730_231555Gazelle.jpg (89.3 KB, 156 views)
Old 07-31-16, 03:44 AM
Stadjer

Originally Posted by AngeloDolce
P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; **
@Stadjer,

I suspect that you are looking at Gazelle bicycles in the Netherlands, while other posters are looking at Raleigh bicycles in the US. They both have rod brakes, but the handlebars and rod attachments work differently.

I've ridden 1950's-70's Raleighs with (rod) stirrup brakes, I also have 1960's Rudges and Gazelles with rod activated drum brakes. The English made bicycles (Raleighs and Rudges) have separate rods, guides, and attachments for the front and rear brakes. Using one brake does not affect the other.

The brake levers on the Gazelles are joined in the center of the handlebars, so that moving either brake lever applies both brakes. The connections to the front and rear brakes are joined at the handlebar, so it is not possible to use one brake without the other.

Incidentally, I bought the Rudges from a Dutch engineer that moved to the US. They had English handlebars for rod brakes, but the drum brakes preferred in the Netherlands where it was sold.
Yes, that's why I asked. The rod mechanism looks very much alike and I couldn't make it out from the pictures. Also the linked brakes often look like they could be applied seperately at first glance. I really wonder what the design considerations were for both, regarding comfort (one handed braking), brake balance and safety on slippery services. One advantage of rim brakes is that if the road is slippery from rain the rims are to and won't lock the front wheel that easily, but on ice it doesn't work like that.
Old 07-31-16, 11:12 AM
bazil4696
Bike Doctor

Bikes: Norco Cape Cod tandem, KHS Tandemania Cross, 1952 Claud Butler ladyback tandem, 1971 & '73 Raleigh Suberbes, 1985 Gazelle Sport Solide, 1985 Rossi professional

Liked 52 Times in 24 Posts
Hullo, gentlemen!
I'm a newbie here, but i've lurked for a long time. I signed up but never seemed to complete the regisration and wasn't allowed to post.
So here goes..
Here's my '85 Gazelle, with a sturmey archer three speed and rod actuated drum brakes. The tyres are schwalbes and the saddlebags were a score from the Branford bike show a few years ago.
Attached Images
277.jpg (82.0 KB, 145 views)
Old 07-31-16, 12:42 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Liked 337 Times in 226 Posts
Sports "Path Racer"

I have a couple of large frame Raleigh Sports - one that is in fantastic condition and one that came without fenders, chain guard and in rough shape. I spent the winter and early spring working on the latter, and by mid summer it was in decent shape but it just didn't excite me. Finding fenders and a chain guard with similar color and patina was not working out, so I decided to make it a "Path Racer". I still need to reverse the saddle clamp so I can slide it back a bit more, and perhaps find a longer reach stem. Here are some photos...
Attached Images
IMG_0035.jpg (101.9 KB, 148 views)
IMG_0036.jpg (99.8 KB, 145 views)
IMG_0037.jpg (98.9 KB, 144 views)
IMG_0038.jpg (99.0 KB, 147 views)
IMG_0039.jpg (100.4 KB, 145 views)
IMG_0040.jpg (99.8 KB, 145 views)
IMG_0041.jpg (92.7 KB, 146 views)
IMG_0042.jpg (97.8 KB, 145 views)
Old 07-31-16, 03:25 PM
bazil4696
Bike Doctor

Bikes: Norco Cape Cod tandem, KHS Tandemania Cross, 1952 Claud Butler ladyback tandem, 1971 & '73 Raleigh Suberbes, 1985 Gazelle Sport Solide, 1985 Rossi professional

"73 Superbe

Here's how it starts.... an aquaintance says he's got one of them bikes with the fenders like my '71 superbe, and I should buy it...

"Okay. Hom much?"
He tells me a price and I'm sold, sight unseen... CHEEP!
Let's go get it now, I plead
Sure enough, it is what he says it is, and I pay him, and drive off with another project in my pickup.
Stupid, you do not need another "never gonna get to it"

But it was a good deal... so, don't wait, see if it's a parts supply, or is this gonna get done soon?
I pull apart the AW, after checking the date code, and proceed to reassemble a decent IGH and i'm now happy with my progress... it'll be a flipper, I might make a couple bucks on it...
I loaded it on pickup, and head to the Brantford vintage bike show, bringing six stablemates, not all for sale, but I always bring a truckload, so I gotta be real tickled, or sell something, to bring home new projects.
I found a pair of Bluemels fenders, that might steer me in a path I never though about with this new project, if I dont sell it today...
No sale. When I got back, I shined up the fenders, and relaced a dead AW I had laying in a parts bin with an aluminum rim I bought a while back, along with it's front sister... Now we got an aluminum set of rims, and some sporty fenders. Okay. a path racer. Handlebars upside down...now tyres... My LBS had some Continental City rides, so that was her new shoes. A late model gel seat adds the comfort I like to ride around in.
Maiden 10 km run to a pub to check out how I like this 21 tooth sprocket, and if 3 pawls springs will work...both are making me happy.
One spring was broken when I took this hub apart, so, instead of cannabalizing a good functioning hub, I'll look for a spare spring.I'll try it with three, if I dont pound hard, it should work, and does... I dont notice it enough to ever worry about. but i've since bought a parts hub, and the last 6 pawl springs "The urbane Cyclist" in Toronto had.
Attached Images
Compressed Bluemels.jpg (76.3 KB, 140 views)
compressed path racer.jpg (45.8 KB, 141 views)
Old 07-31-16, 03:32 PM
bazil4696
Bike Doctor

Now the stupid **** starts goin through my head...Should I lace the front rim for a dynohub?
or do I strip off the lights, and just leave it bare? Authenic to path style bikes?
I put a rack and luggage trunk on for the Toronto Vintage Bike show, But I wanted to ride it in the city
Old 07-31-16, 03:45 PM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Liked 445 Times in 288 Posts
Hercules Question

This Hercules is for sale locally.
It appears to have an A Type 0 or 3 hub.
Any idea on a date?
Thanks
Attached Images
$_27.JPG (79.1 KB, 141 views)
$_2mm7.JPG (70.8 KB, 137 views)
Old 07-31-16, 04:48 PM
BigChief

Originally Posted by gster
This Hercules is for sale locally.
It appears to have an A Type 0 or 3 hub.
Any idea on a date?
Thanks
I do know that the Raleigh made Hercules started in 1960. Any pre Raleigh Herc is a good find IMO. I wonder if that's painted over. Can't tell from the photo, but you would expect some transfers on the frame. Cool bike though. I'll guess somewhere in the 50s
Old 07-31-16, 04:56 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Liked 1,716 Times in 611 Posts
I went back to the Hastings trail again today, but this time I brought a friend. He owns this old Dunelt, in a beautiful red color, that I couldn't wait to point my lens at. I rode my Velo de Ville today, and gave the DL1 some rest.

The light today was diffused by clouds most of the time, and it lent a gentle quality to the light. After this, we went for brunch. Another excellent ride!

Old 07-31-16, 07:08 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,621 Times in 1,525 Posts
Welcome, [MENTION=408334]bazil4696[/MENTION]! Rod actuated drum brakes seem like a better idea than those under-rim brakes which I never liked.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.