Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Huffy Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-17, 06:38 AM
ste6168

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Huffy Tires

All,

Are Huffy's china tires halfway decent, for a loaner cruiser that may be ridden 2/3 weeks a year? They are only $10 a piece through their parts website, about $12 each after shipping.

I picked up two Sun Revolutions yesterday (for $20 ea), the tires on one (Sunlite) are dry rotted, and one has a crack in the seem down the middle... Looking to rehab these on the smallest budget possible, as they are loaners and will not get ridden much... Would like to keep the entire rehab under $50 each, bike cost included (not including the "cup" holders ).

Alternatively, I found these Goodyear (Kent) tires at Walmart for about the same price... Maybe this is the better option? https://www.walmart.com/ip/Goodyear-...-Tire/51838827

Any other cheap tire recommendations?

Last edited by ste6168; 06-10-17 at 06:43 AM.
Old 06-10-17, 07:17 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 725 Posts
There is a difference between "dry rot" and "checking". Many tires exhibit checking, which are harmless superficial cracks in the outer rubber. The strength of a tire is provided by the inner fabric plies. Your tires may be perfectly usable. If you provide some clear closeup shots we might be able to better advise you.
Old 06-10-17, 07:24 AM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm sure that anything with the "Huffy" brand attached to it is the cheapest thing you can buy.
Old 06-10-17, 07:53 AM
ste6168

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexCyclistRoch
I'm sure that anything with the "Huffy" brand attached to it is the cheapest thing you can buy.
Right, which is why I was looking to go that route, though the Goodyear tires at Walmart are the same price... but are they better?

Last edited by ste6168; 06-10-17 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-10-17, 08:27 AM
ste6168

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
There is a difference between "dry rot" and "checking". Many tires exhibit checking, which are harmless superficial cracks in the outer rubber. The strength of a tire is provided by the inner fabric plies. Your tires may be perfectly usable. If you provide some clear closeup shots we might be able to better advise you.
I will get some close ups, give me a bit. Thanks!
Old 06-10-17, 09:56 AM
ste6168

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are a couple pictures of the tire... and now looking at it closer, I think it's just the white paint showing the cracking. Even still, not sure that split in the middle is ideal.

Old 06-10-17, 12:21 PM
Crossthreaded88

Bikes: Cannondale M500, Electra Cruiser 7, Schwinn Cruiser 3 2003 retro, Trek Calipso Cruiser 7sp, Dyno Taboo Tiki, Dyno Moon Eyes, Dyno Duece, Dyno Moto 7

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Just ride'em like you stole'em. The white rubber compound they use on the sidewalls is particularly sensitive to sunlight and therefore checks and cracks. I've ridden bikes till the tires were bald with sidewalls like that. If it ain't broke don't fix it applies here. They are girl's cruisers and as long as the riders aren't going for the land speed record I think they would be relatively safe. If the center split goes all the through to the inside that could be a problem but not necessarily. I'd ride them as is unless aesthetics are important then put the cheapest thing you can find on there it's a cruiser not a performance bike jeez!
Old 06-10-17, 12:30 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Personally I'd replace them. Peace of mind etc.

I'd go for the Wallyworld tire. Cheap, folding bead and "supple" side wall. Worth a shot IMO.
Old 06-10-17, 01:17 PM
ste6168

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crossthreaded88
Just ride'em like you stole'em. The white rubber compound they use on the sidewalls is particularly sensitive to sunlight and therefore checks and cracks. I've ridden bikes till the tires were bald with sidewalls like that. If it ain't broke don't fix it applies here. They are girl's cruisers and as long as the riders aren't going for the land speed record I think they would be relatively safe. If the center split goes all the through to the inside that could be a problem but not necessarily. I'd ride them as is unless aesthetics are important then put the cheapest thing you can find on there it's a cruiser not a performance bike jeez!
They are girls cruisers, but they will probably have mixed riders. Not that it matters much, I'm sure no one that ever rides them will be more than 225 or so... I may replace the ones on the pink bike, due to the split, or I may ride them.

My biggest concern, is my parents are visiting in two weeks, and we plan to bike onto the ferry over to Ocracoke Island, and bike around the island for the day (beach, bar hopping, cruising, etc). I'd hate to get a flat while over there!

Last edited by ste6168; 06-10-17 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-10-17, 01:34 PM
Astrozombie

Bikes: Diamondback Insight, Motobecane Mirage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Well they're cruisers, don't get ridden very fast, will be seldom ridden............but I would stay the heck away from Wallyworld, I would see what Nashbar or Biketiresdirect has...........when In doubt I replace the front tire and save the spare for when the rear starts to look really bad.
Old 06-10-17, 03:22 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1307 Post(s)
Liked 751 Times in 544 Posts
find a set of Sunlite tires.... available at most well stocked bike shops.

then don't let them sit in the sun for extended periods of time... the Sun rots tires.

when you park the bikes for a long time, let most of
the air out of them.
Old 06-10-17, 07:17 PM
xenologer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
First off
you need to swap the wheels and chainguards between the bikes
so the new color combos will be white/pink and blue/green
that'll look a lot better

secondly
I'm glad I'm not one of your guests - going lowest end possible for bikes you let other people ride
are these not your friends/family? be Classy and put some quality into them

I've seen cheap huffy tires have their beads and casings fail for no external reason, just being poorly made.
Old 06-10-17, 08:07 PM
ste6168

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xenologer
First off
you need to swap the wheels and chainguards between the bikes
so the new color combos will be white/pink and blue/green
that'll look a lot better

secondly
I'm glad I'm not one of your guests - going lowest end possible for bikes you let other people ride
are these not your friends/family? be Classy and put some quality into them

I've seen cheap huffy tires have their beads and casings fail for no external reason, just being poorly made.
Lol. I thought about switching the color combos, though I decided against it... I'm a plain person, and really wanted like black/gray/blue loaners, but these came up for sale, for what I thought was a good price, so I snagged them. The colors are growing on me.

About going cheap, I understand the concern. We bought these mainly for when my parents visit, and they come twice a year. If anyone else wants to use them, great! That said, were not distance bikers, we just cruise around town. 1-3 miles a trip, usually.

We rode this evening, further than our typical ride, 4.3 miles with an average speed of 6.3mph- according to the app Strava.

Last edited by ste6168; 06-10-17 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-11-17, 07:32 AM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ste6168
Here are a couple pictures of the tire... and now looking at it closer, I think it's just the white paint showing the cracking. Even still, not sure that split in the middle is ideal.

I se the reflective 'paint' cracking, and a poor molding line (expected from dirt-cheap tires from China...), nothing more. As safe as any other junky Chinese tire....
Old 06-11-17, 02:41 PM
ste6168

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like the general consensus, sans a few, is to ride them as-is. That is the plan for now. Any issues, I will re-evaluate then.