Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Festivals you can ride too

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-18, 11:10 PM
chrisx

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

When is it time to log out and ride your bike somewhere?
How about a list of festivals you can attend on your bike?

Ensenada
Mardi Grass in Ensenada Baja California. 250,000 people are expected to attend.
Where I am now.
Last year, Rosa who works at the hotel, gave me an orange reflective vest to wear as I ride my bike.
So this year I brought her a cob tail light and a reflector for her 11 year olds bike.

Semana Santa
Nobody celberates easter week like the Guatemaltecas
https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...Guatemala.html
¨ Travel Advisory
January 10, 2018

Guatemala – Level 3: Reconsider Travel

¨Reconsider travel to Guatemala due to crime.
Violent crime, such as sexual assault, carjacking, armed robbery, and murder, is common. Gang activity, such as extortion, violent street crime, and narcotics trafficking, is widespread, particularly in the border regions. Local police may lack the resources to respond effectively to serious criminal incidents. ¨

What sounds better? Cyber jerks, or, real live jerks on the ground?

ruta peligrosa

Log out and go somewhere
Old 02-08-18, 11:19 PM
MarcusT

Liked 633 Times in 354 Posts
I guess you can ride to any festival unless they ban bicycles.
Old 02-08-18, 11:39 PM
chrisx

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Is it time to log out and find a festival to ride to?
Sometimes to much internet is to much internet.
I rode to the total eclipse,
got any other ideas?
Old 02-09-18, 05:32 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Liked 343 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
gosh, how 'bout a festival OF bicycles?

the peddler's jamboree is held on memorial day...

Pedaler's Jamboree is Missouri's first bike-powered music and camping festival.
Welcome in the summer with a slow-paced, family-friendly, two-wheeled celebration
on the Katy Trail!

there's a rainbow ride with four distance options.....

Festival of Sharing is hosting a bike ride fundraiser to support The Rainbow Network!
Where: On the Katy Trail.

there's even a 5-day ride in june for more committed cyclists....

The 17th annual Katy Trail Ride, June 19-23 allows bicyclists to experience
Katy Trail
State Park from Clinton to St. Charles.

really, there are so many options for festivals to ride to......if you're willing
to leave your underground chamber. this one really slays me....it's positively apocalyptic!

The Zombie Bike Ride is a celebration of the bicycle on last week of October in
Key West, Florida. Rock and roll, zombie bikes and costumes of all types

Old 02-09-18, 07:19 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Burning Man? I hear they love bicycles, at least until the festival is over.
Old 02-09-18, 08:14 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
That's what I would say. Festivals downtown I regularly bike and/or bus to from. Music festival about 50 miles away that I travel to on bike twice a year. I'm not the only person to bike there, but it's certainly not the most common way to arrive.

I'm trying to think of what kind of festivals you couldn't bike to, and coming up blank. Maybe I'm not festive enough. But this sounds like it could be, "What are some festivals?"
Old 02-09-18, 08:17 AM
indyfabz

Liked 16,123 Times in 7,570 Posts
+1

Let's see if the OP follows his own suggestion.

/thread
Old 02-09-18, 09:08 AM
DanBell

Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Since the list of festivals you could ride to is nearly limitless, I've taken on the much easier task of listing festivals you can't ride your bike to. These include, but are not limited to:

- festivals on a boat in the middle of the ocean
- festivals on an island that you don't live on
- festivals in space
- festivals in heaven or hell (although according to ACDC there is a highway to hell, so festivals held there might be accessible; not sure about the presence of a wide shoulder or traffic conditions, maybe check CGOAB)

Sorry man, but this is a bizarre question for a thread. Might as well ask what cities you can ride your bike to, or what parks you can ride to. Add in your irrelevant fear mongering about crime in Guatemala and I'm excited to see where this one goes.
Old 02-09-18, 10:36 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
During a bike tour of Belgium, I learned of the Ypres kattenstoet, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kattenstoet

Welcome! | Kattenstoet Ieper
Old 02-09-18, 01:38 PM
CreakingCrank

Bikes: Two. One daily rider. One with detachment issues.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Great Western Bicycle Rally in Paso Robles
Old 02-09-18, 01:43 PM
alan s 

Liked 190 Times in 129 Posts
Here’s something to get you started.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_festivals
Old 02-09-18, 01:59 PM
FBOATSB

Liked 516 Times in 345 Posts
Thousands to pick from world wide:

Festivals 2018 - Music Festivals 2018 | FindFestival
Old 02-09-18, 02:08 PM
FBOATSB

Liked 516 Times in 345 Posts
Wonder what IB would think if every active member logged out en masse and went for a bike ride...
Old 02-09-18, 03:37 PM
chrisx

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by FBOATSB
Wonder what IB would think if every active member logged out en masse and went for a bike ride...
Originally Posted by alan s
Here’s something to get you started.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_festivals
I bumped into Carolina this morning, she was riding a full suspension cycle.
I think I may have found something better than internet to do for a while.

What do they call those hippie festivals, the ones where you go camp in the woods for a week or two?

internet

real

time for a real bicycle, enough with the interweb cycling.

Last edited by chrisx; 02-09-18 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-09-18, 03:42 PM
trailhound
Born to be mild

Bikes: A blue one, a green one, a purple one, a black one, and a red one!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I was in Switzerland last fall, my GF and I pedaled into a small town and spent the afternoon at their winter festival. Had a great time talking with the locals (they were excited to practice their english!), drinking beer and eating some really fattening food. Also went to an Octoberfest in Shaffhausen. Had to fly halfway around the world to ride to those, though!
Old 02-10-18, 12:21 AM
AusTexMurf

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Planning on riding to Delfest in Cumberland, Md this May. Great music lineup, easy to bike to. Fly in to DC or Pittsburgh. Amtrak an option. Ride the GAP/C&O. Camping.

https://delfest.com/

Always ride to the music festivals around ATX. Wouldn't think of any other way to go except by bike.

ACL music festival - tons of bikes/bike parking.
https://www.aclfestival.com/

SXSW music festival - weeklong
https://www.sxsw.com/

Last edited by AusTexMurf; 02-12-18 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Added DelFest lineup and links
Old 02-10-18, 07:39 AM
Jim from Boston

Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisx
When is it time to log out and ride your bike somewhere?
How about a list of festivals you can attend on your bike?...

Log out and go somewhere
I'm not inclined to ride my bike to a festival, because what would I do with it when I arrived? I don't carry a lock because I never leave my bike out of sight when I'm out riding. If the festival is "festive" enough there would likely be activities when I would want to abandon the bike.

Even for just simple street fairs, they usually have a lot of pedestrian traffic, so pushing a bike through the crowds is tedious.
Old 02-10-18, 08:47 AM
BobG

Liked 121 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I'm not inclined to ride my bike to a festival, because what would I do with it when I arrived?
I concur. One year I cycled a week or so up from NH to the Stan Rogers Folk Festival at Canso Nova Scotia. I camped off site at a private campground with a rental car to get to the festival site and back. Had I been staying at the on site campground I would have not been comfortable leaving the bike unsupervised by my tent among the thousands of attendees.
Old 02-10-18, 09:06 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Liked 969 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
During a bike tour of Belgium, I learned of the Ypres kattenstoet, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kattenstoet

Welcome! | Kattenstoet Ieper
Didn't know that one. But Belgium is full of festivals during the summer, rock, dance, folk, and the typical Belgian ones like this.
Old 02-10-18, 10:04 AM
Erick L
Lentement mais sûrement

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
You have until tomorrow to ride to the Quebec City Carnival.
Old 02-10-18, 02:16 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by BobG
I concur. One year I cycled a week or so up from NH to the Stan Rogers Folk Festival at Canso Nova Scotia. I camped off site at a private campground with a rental car to get to the festival site and back. Had I been staying at the on site campground I would have not been comfortable leaving the bike unsupervised by my tent among the thousands of attendees.
Some festivals have on site secure bicycle parking. We need a list of those festivals.
Old 02-10-18, 03:46 PM
DanBell

Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by skookum
Some festivals have on site secure bicycle parking. We need a list of those festivals.
Now that would be a useful list. Legitimately bike friendly festivals.
Old 02-12-18, 03:18 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Mopop in Detroit does, if a mix of EDM, alt rock, and urban music is your thing:

Originally Posted by https://mopopfestival.com/info.html
Our Friends at Detroit Bike are offering free and safe parking for everyone who decides to bike down West Riverfront Park!
Old 02-12-18, 03:45 PM
Jim from Boston

Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I'm not inclined to ride my bike to a festival, because what would I do with it when I arrived? I don't carry a lock because I never leave my bike out of sight when I'm out riding. If the festival is "festive" enough there would likely be activities when I would want to abandon the bike.
Though baseball games at Fenway Park in Boston are not festivals in the usual sense, they are festive, and offer this service (see photo).

I still doubt I would leave my bike anywhere, for someone else to park (I live about three blocks from Fenway Park anyways).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bike valet.JPG (117.5 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-12-18 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-12-18, 04:31 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts

Even for just simple street fairs, they usually have a lot of pedestrian traffic, so pushing a bike through the crowds is tedious.
Originally Posted by BobG
For any downtown festivities, if the crowd is too thick, I lock my bike up and go on foot.

The music festival that I bike to a couple of times a year has on-site camping, and I always take advantage of it. I am sometimes uneasy about leaving my bike unattended at my campsite, but there's always a tree nearby to lock up to if I'm really worried. Or if I just want to add a little insurance, I run the lock through the frame and a wheel. I always camp in the car-free area, so anyone who wants to walk off with my bike will literally have to walk off with my bike, carrying it. Unless they brought lock cutting tools which seems unlikely, given that I've only met one other person who biked there, so it's not like some enterprising thief is going to get a good haul by picking up all the bicycles.

I will say, though, that I generally feel very secure. I tend to bike from stage to stage, and park the bike too the side of the stage out of the sight lines, so it won't be anyone's way, but where I can see it from the audience. And I don't generally worry about it when it's out of sight, either. If there's rain (and I don't think we can get through a festival without at least one rainy day), I leave the bike at camp, sometimes locked, sometimes not, under the tarp. There are always people in camp, many of whom saw me come in, and who would probably notice if someone other than me tried to leave with the bike. I've got 9 of these festivals under my belt, plus they do a one night event in the summer that I've biked to and camped at 2 or 3 times. Zero bike thefts so far.

I don't have the experience to say that other festivals are just as safe, or even that I've been anything other than lucky, but so far it's worked out well. Biking is how I generally get around, and strategy has generally been to gauge and be prepared for whatever security I need for a given location rather than avoid places I'd like to go or try and get there without my bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.