Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone remember these bike lights?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Anyone remember these bike lights?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-18, 08:20 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Liked 1,767 Times in 988 Posts
Originally Posted by bogydave
I had this one, 60s
no batteries
I was king of the road

Originally Posted by KraneXL
No, that one looks like its by Mattel. My light was made out of metal,

Schwinn-approved Union brand were nice

A note on reflectors, I think one the best ideas ever for night time bike identification are pedal reflectors, that from a distance immediately identify the movement of a bicycle. These could still be done inconspicuously with modern clipless & platform pedals. I think it should be encouraged by the industry....just my .2¢
Old 12-11-18, 10:05 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Liked 1,975 Times in 1,135 Posts
Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji
I think one the best ideas ever for night time bike identification are pedal reflectors, that from a distance immediately identify the movement of a bicycle. These could still be done inconspicuously with modern clipless & platform pedals.
And in fact are. I've got a pair of clipless+reflector Shimano PD-T780s on my all-rounder.
Old 12-11-18, 11:21 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 3,010 Times in 1,710 Posts
I agree about pedal reflectors. Long ago, I made some out of yellow reflective tape. I think I should do it again. I have some bikes whose pedals don't have vertical surfaces for the tape, so I'll put tape on my shoes.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-11-18, 10:25 PM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Originally Posted by tcs
And in fact are. I've got a pair of clipless+reflector Shimano PD-T780s on my all-rounder.
Good I didn't know that....have a photo?
Old 12-12-18, 09:19 AM
tcs
Palmer

Stock photo, somebody's nice bike but not mine:

Last edited by tcs; 12-12-18 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-12-18, 10:04 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

very similar to what has worked for years thx tcs
Old 12-12-18, 11:05 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Liked 4,330 Times in 2,788 Posts
I remember those lights well. Probably saved my life a bunch of times. I rode them for years. (And loved it when the Dura-Cell batteries came out after the much hallowed alkalines. The alkalines were good except they died suddenly. You rode to work with them working and rode hoe in the dark. The Dura-Cells had comparable lifespans but always gave you that one last ride home at half power.

I still believe that, worn on the calf or ankle, those lights were a superior lighting system; better than modern flashers mounted on the bike or body (except lights on the pedals) because the up-and-down motion is 1) so very different from anything else out there and 2) it never gets "lost" as being just a construction barrier flasher or some other very bright but otherwise irrelevant distraction. Also it doesn't encourage motorists to actively look away from the bike as do many of the really bright bike lights used now. I say this as a both a cyclist and car driver. I try not to look at lights that impair my vision like my life just might depend on it.

I stopped using them as better lights came along, then lights on my legs entirely as old injuries, etc. made straps and weight banging on my leg painful. (My lifelong habit of riding fix gear, especially in bad weather, into town and in the dark made that banging far worse. I used to have to take those Wonder lights apart brand new and install blocking to immobilize the battery. Otherwise high RPMs would rapidly compress the spring and break the contact at the bulb shield and I'd be riding in the dark.)

Ben
Old 12-12-18, 01:40 PM
roadsnakes

Liked 480 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Had one, along with it's mate, the Wonder light. Not good but no worse than the alternative, the bottle cage generator lights.
'
WONDER LIGHT! That brings back some memories!
I still have mine somewhere!?
They were top of the line way back when!
I think the battery cost more to replace then the light!
I remember using mine on my Schwinn Continental riding home from working the 2ND Shift in the factory!

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...MnqEzd9ybJlFM:
'

Old 12-12-18, 05:05 PM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by roadsnakes
WONDER LIGHT! ...They were top of the line way back when!
Had both; I liked my BEREC Ever Ready Frontguard II better.

"The Frontguard has been built to the rigorous specification of the British Standards Institute; before being awarded the prestigious 'kite mark' the front lamp had to be switched on and off 5,000 times and continue to work without a flicker, and there were punishing vibration, moisture, corrosion and dust tests as well. BSI stipulated that the Frontguard had to be as conspicuous from the front as a car side-light, and that it throw a wide enough beam to cycle by; the intricate lens was designed by the Department of Opthalmic Optics at London University. After using this latest model of the Frontguard ourselves we feel that it is quite the best lamp on the market." - International Cycling Guide, 1982

All of this was let down by the incandescent bulb and heavy alkaline D-cells of the day along with a fatigue prone handlebar mount. I wish I still had mine - I'd pop in a LED replacement bulb and some Panasonic Eneloop Pros in AA-> D adapters just for grins.

Last edited by tcs; 12-12-18 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-12-18, 05:38 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Liked 2,814 Times in 1,808 Posts
Yep, the expensive bit about the Wonder Light was the battery. If I'm recalling correctly a magazine published a simple diagram for making a replacement battery pack using 3 AA or AAA batteries and a holder from Radio Shack.

I still had that Wonder Light, bracket, and the amber/red ankle/arm light dodads up until 2004, in a junk box in the outdoor storage barn along with all my bike stuff from the 1970s-'80s. At the time I was still hobbled from a 2001 car wreck, walking on a cane and unable to do much lifting, so I figured I'd never ride a bike again. Sold everything to an auction house. By 2015 I was able to resume cycling again.

I don't really miss the Wonder Lights, Schwinn bottle generator light kit, etc., but do kinda wish I'd kept my old merino wool jersey and shorts with real chamois. But by 2004 my weight had ballooned from 155 to 205 from being hobbled and lack of exercise. Never occurred to me I'd get my weight back to where it was in my 20s.

Kinda miss my 1976 Motobecane too. It wasn't one of their best models, a hi-ten frame/fork Mirage. But that bike got a lot of use including some centuries in SoCal and Baja California. Good times. But I have better bikes now.
Old 12-12-18, 10:51 PM
VtwinVince

Liked 275 Times in 162 Posts
I thought I was 'the man' back in the early 90's when I got my dual BLT setup.
Old 12-13-18, 01:23 PM
Harhir 

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3, HP Velotechnik Scorpion

Liked 143 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by bogydave
I had this one, 60s
no batteries
I was king of the road

We grew up with these in Germany since ALL bikes had to have them to be street legal. I think battery powered lights only became legal in the late 90s. I still have an 80s Gazelle with an such old fashioned bulb powered light and a bottle dynamo. Yes it provides light. But a candle is probably not much darker... lol
And in winter with snow and mud these bottle dynamos just got clogged and stopped working at all.
Anyhow today I still run dynamo powered lights on my commuter bikes since I have run out off battery juice on extended commutes at night before. I just upgraded from a Shimano hub dynamo to a SON28 for a smoother ride. Together with a B&M IQ-x front light I have more than enough light on the pitch black trails I am on at night. These new LED lights are really bright. But I also use flashing battery lights in addition to be more visible to cars.
Old 12-13-18, 02:33 PM
cambiker71

Bikes: lots, new old and in between!

Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
I have a pair of these, they're surprisingly bright, the whole strap glows (orange in my case) I wrap one around each ankle

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reflectiv...899957501?var=
Old 12-13-18, 03:01 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by cambiker71
I have a pair of these, they're surprisingly bright, the whole strap glows (orange in my case) I wrap one around each ankle

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reflectiv...899957501?var=
Wow, what a great deal.

That ankle band uses a single CR2016 cell. I have spoke lights that use two of those cells. I don't call them bright, but they are very noticeable because of the motion, and I expect the same is true of the ankle bands.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 12-13-18, 03:31 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Liked 3,234 Times in 1,741 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider

That ankle band uses a single CR2016 cell. I have spoke lights that use two of those cells.
Yeah, when I bought my SpokLits I also got an economy pack of CR2016s. The LEDs stopped working before I ran out of batteries so I just ordered a couple more.

My whole lighting system is now
Two NiteRider Luminas in front
Two blinkies on my backpack
Rear rack blinkie
Fly 6 blinkie/camera
Two SpokLits

That's a lot of redundancy. I should probably get some wrist lights for turn signaling.
I didn't like the helmet light.
Old 12-13-18, 03:35 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

I try to balance convenience with safety. My commuter bike has a dynamo powered steady headlight and a dynamo powered steady tail light. Since I'm not in motor traffic much, those are all I use a lot of the time. Sometimes I turn on my rear blinky. And sometimes I turn on my spoke light. I have to wear trouser bands when I wear long pants. I usually wear cycling shoes. And there are gloves and helmet and mirror. It's a lot of suiting up. And I have to replace the coin cells in the spoke light every so often, and I have to charge the tail light every month. Thank goodness I don't have to charge my headlight. I just ordered those LED ankle bands to give them a try, but I might not end up using them. I will see.

Old 12-13-18, 03:38 PM
atlas mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
atlas mountain bike

thank you for your poste
Old 12-13-18, 11:54 PM
John00

Bikes: 2 TiSports and a Ho Ko E Koo

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I had one of those, late 60s. I wore it on my arm, I realize now the leg is a much better place for it. Once my battery died and I was pulled over the police. Very late at night on University Blvd. In Berkeley Ca. no other cars on the road. I showed him it would only glow for a few seconds then go dark. He sat in his car for a few minutes then said screw this and drove off very fast without giving me a ticket. I can remember the light, but I have no idea what make of bike I was riding.

Last edited by John00; 12-13-18 at 11:57 PM.