Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

leg cramps

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-21, 03:19 PM
sacr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
loss of electrolytes

Can someone explain to me how it is an electrolyte problem if one gets cramps when they are not getting hot and sweaty, the electroyltes can only leave the body by sweat and urine?

For the record, I'm experienced with how heavy sweating does make myself more prone to cramps in whatever muscles are being called upon, heavily laden electrolyte replacement helps(double the quantities of what is the commerical stuff - minus the sugar), but doesnt prevent it, but still am a sufferer on a cold day when there isnt a drop of sweat and I have put in too many repititions on whatever muscle group is being asked of.

Have to say havent tried mustard, wont cost much to give that a go, but back in the day when Pat Rafter was regularly having to quit with cramps, and with the best advice in the world still couldnt beat them, wonder if its just another myth.
Old 05-03-21, 06:58 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10217 Post(s)
Liked 5,924 Times in 3,193 Posts
I hope everyone knows that the way to break a cramp is forcible, passive, stretching of the muscle. It works immediately and reliably.
Old 05-03-21, 07:24 PM
sacr

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I hope everyone knows that the way to break a cramp is forcible, passive, stretching of the muscle. It works immediately and reliably.
so you've never had muscle cramp(s)(plural)?, good luck with that one when you get cramps simultaneously in opposing muscle groups such as the hammies and thighs/quads, and/or that trying to stretch them creates a cramp somewhere else. And good luck trying to stretch them out when one gets them in the abbductor/inner thighs.
Likes For sacr:
Old 05-03-21, 07:30 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10217 Post(s)
Liked 5,924 Times in 3,193 Posts
Originally Posted by sacr
so you've never had muscle cramp(s)(plural)?, good luck with that one when you get cramps simultaneously in opposing muscle groups such as the hammies and thighs/quads, and/or that trying to stretch them creates a cramp somewhere else. And good luck trying to stretch them out when one gets them in the abbductor/inner thighs.
What I wrote is still correct.
Old 05-04-21, 07:00 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 401 Times in 230 Posts
If I get a cramp it is usually early in the cycling season when I haven't been riding as much. Other contributors can be a hard ride, riding hills early in the season, or a longer and faster ride. Generally this is in April and May or November and December. Fluids are important. Rarely do I get a cramp while riding and if so I can back off a bit and that has always done the trick. Almost all of my cramps have been at night when sleeping.