Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

“Earthing” ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-22, 08:38 AM
skidder

Bikes: Yes

Liked 1,552 Times in 1,056 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I'm merely suggesting that there "may" be some real physiological effects of grounding. I'm not reversing the burden of proof at all. I'm just pointing out that grounding is at least a real physical phenomena, whether or not beneficial to our health.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3576907/

https://harmony783.com/blogs/groundi...lood-viscosity

It could all be a scam to sell a few related products, but it doesn't strike me as such. It's hardly "big bike" is it? The author appears to be a legit cardiologist (possibly an outlier?) and there are plenty of other physicians who agree with his findings. As I say I haven't really looked deep into this, but I wouldn't rule it out as pure fantasy. Are there any sources debunking the theory that blood viscosity and other effects may be effected by grounding? Of course there are:-

https://borntolivebarefoot.org/earth...day-snake-oil/

What is fairly clear is that mainstream medicine doesn't really research any of this. But then that's all about peddling drugs anyway isn't it? So who knows?

So if there are some effects, why would we assume they were good? Well maybe because we evolved in that specific environment before partially isolating ourselves from it? Much of our modern life tends to be pretty negative to our health as we gradually detach ourselves from the natural world we evolved in.
Now I don't go out of my way to ground myself every day and I'm certainly not buying any grounding products, but I still think there could be something in it and wouldn't automatically dismiss it out of hand. I certainly wouldn't put it in the same category as ghosts and other supernatural bs.
Interesting to read through all these thread entries. I looked at the links above and the only one that comes up is the 'harmony783' link. Basically a marketing document (or an advertisement), a doctor using his name to sell silver-infused socks and special shoes (a rebirth of 'Earth Shoes') and its where you took the 'study' in post #15 from, the one with only 10 participants. If you read through it you'll notice he mentions you can get rid of those 'free electrons' (whatever that means outside of a plasma field) by simply bathing. I do that every day so I must be free of those nasty electrons, right? Yes, it doesn't seem like there is any value to it, nor does anyone see enough potential (pun intended) to do proper scientific studies of this. That's not being cynical, its just questioning it until the scientific-based studies can be done and replicated to prove its a real phenomenon. I'd lump it in with Earth shoes, faraday cages for your home, crystals, and tin-foil hats. Let me leave you with this nugget (read Carl Sagan's book, its really interesting on this topic):

Likes For skidder:
Old 12-17-22, 10:49 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Liked 4,965 Times in 2,288 Posts
In my early retirement years, I spent many summers as a USFS Wilderness Ranger. I can attest that walking barefoot on unused forest trails covered in duff was therapeutic for me. Not scientific, but real. More comforting than meditation, more relaxing than yoga, more interesting than deep breathing, more lasting than guided visualization.

Most American need to learn to chill, ... as a lifestyle.
Old 12-17-22, 11:17 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Liked 5,968 Times in 3,216 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski

What is fairly clear is that mainstream medicine doesn't really research any of this. But then that's all about peddling drugs anyway isn't it?
Well, that and the fixing real problems thing.
Old 12-17-22, 11:54 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Liked 2,360 Times in 1,140 Posts
Originally Posted by Sorcerer
I didn't try barefoot running, but I did change the way I ran.
When weather permits, I enjoy Kenyan Diagonals on a football or soccer field. Not for grounding, but to work the muscles differently than how they work with shoes.

Originally Posted by rsbob
No barefoot earthing today - 32* F today.

There have been studies which have confirmed the calming effects of being out in nature. Could be related, maybe not. As a child, or as.an adult, ever lay on the grass and watch the clouds roll by? Pretty pacific.
I was actually thinking about this recently. I had a spot as a kid I would ride my bike to and lay on a sloped piece of ground watching the clouds change shape and pass by. That memory was so peaceful I can only imagine how it would feel to do it again. But with the weather we are having I'll only be on my back on the ground if I fall off of my bike.

Originally Posted by Juan Foote
I am so tender footed that I don't even walk about the house barefoot. Even when I did field service work some home/business owners would ask me to take my shoes off. I just used the throw away booties and hoped they were cool with it.
Did you go barefoot as a kid? I ask because I was never allowed to go barefoot as a kid and my wife was. She tolerates being outside barefoot much better than I can. Unless it is a well kept grassy area like the football or soccer fields I mentioned, I'm not comfortable.

Old 12-17-22, 12:45 PM
Gresp15C

Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
Did you go barefoot as a kid? I ask because I was never allowed to go barefoot as a kid and my wife was. She tolerates being outside barefoot much better than I can. Unless it is a well kept grassy area like the football or soccer fields I mentioned, I'm not comfortable.
I still go barefoot today, like taking out the trash or getting something from the backyard. My wife will always wear shoes. Amusingly, she grew up in a family with a dog.
Old 12-17-22, 12:52 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Liked 3,553 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Well, that and the fixing real problems thing.

"real" being the operative word.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

― Isaac Asimov
​​​​​​​
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 12-17-22, 01:07 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Liked 572 Times in 325 Posts
R.E. Asimov...

I believe that the person who is defending "earthing" is a resident of the UK.

DangerousDan, on the other hand, was born and raised in the US and is as American as a Nathan's hotdog.

He just has a very strong sense of that which belongs in a Manure Spreader, and worrying about the health impact of a nano amp static charge on the surface of a human goes in the Spreader, along with statements like the one attributed to a fiction writer.
Old 12-17-22, 01:24 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
R.E. Asimov...

DangerousDan, on the other hand, was born and raised in the US and is as American as a Nathan's hotdog.

He just has a very strong sense of that which belongs in a Manure Spreader, and worrying about the health impact of a nano amp static charge on the surface of a human goes in the Spreader, along with statements like the one attributed to a fiction writer.

Asimov was also a trained scientist, an excellent nonfiction science writer, and wasn't wrong about the US. If you're reading that quote to mean that the US is filled with cranks or has a monopoly on crackpot nonsense, then maybe reread it. Asimov was a Russian Jew who immigrated to the US and was naturalized as a child. His was a classic American success story. If you're going to attack his Americanism, we are going to have a problem.

And I'm quite sure he'd be making fun of this earthing nonsense.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-17-22, 01:52 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
Nope, never been a barefoot, not even as a kid. I don't recall that my mom or dad had issue with it, as others (cousins and such) would run around that way. I have traditionally been a wake up, get dressed, put my shoes on and keep them on until bedtime type. I do recall always having been tender footed as well.
Old 12-17-22, 02:26 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

The US has a very diverse population. We produced Al Capone and the Kennedy family, but Carrie Nation was also 100% American.

We are not special in the production of cranks. Rancho Rajneesh was in the US, but a lot of the Rajneeshees were German. We also tolerate cranks. Ever listen to Art Bell or George Noory?

The US landed a manned craft on the moon, and some US citizens say it was all staged.

A German colleague of mine showed me an advertisement (in German) that promised to reject electricity generated by nuclear plants based on the Tachyon spin. He thought his sister would probably buy one if he showed her the ad.

I'm aware of Isaac Asimov's background. I also find most Sci-fi, including the little bit of his that I have read, dull and that it tends to be unbelievable. If you like it, be my guest.

I just don't like generalizations about nations or cultures. I also find that making gratuitous insults towards the US to be tiring.
Old 12-17-22, 02:35 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Liked 7,721 Times in 3,098 Posts
... worrying about the health impact of a nano amp static charge on the surface of a human ...
FYI electrical charge is measured in coulombs, not (nano) amps.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-17-22, 02:52 PM
PeteHski

Liked 5,186 Times in 3,206 Posts
R.E. Asimov...

To be clear I'm not really "defending" earthing. I just think some people instantly dismiss ANYTHING they haven't heard of before as complete bs. For sure when you look into the studies in any detail they are far from convincing and there is always someone trying to make a living out of anything, whether real or not. I'm not a strong believer in eathing, nor do I practice earthing or spend any money on earthing "products". But I don't dismiss it as complete bs either. That's about it for me on this one guys. I only responded because I'd actually heard of the concept and knew it wasn't a new fad as I think someone was suggesting.
Old 12-17-22, 04:23 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
After reading the replies it came back to me that I first heard of "grounding" in 2016 after I had the worst cycling accident so far in my life. Researching ways to recover I ran into a video about it. I tried it daily during two months of recovery. Figured it wouldn't hurt. But it did, in that my feet hurt and I actually cut a toe. However, there was a benefit in that it distracted me from the major pains I was having, if only for a few minutes. For that I was grateful, belive me.
Likes For Sorcerer:
Old 12-17-22, 04:47 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Liked 2,492 Times in 1,287 Posts
Another topic in General Cycling Forum which has absolutely nothing to do with cycling. Amazing that it actually made 4 pages so far.
Old 12-17-22, 05:01 PM
jon c. 

Liked 1,027 Times in 576 Posts
We are not special in the production of cranks. Rancho Rajneesh was in the US, but a lot of the Rajneeshees were German. We also tolerate cranks. Ever listen to Art Bell or George Noory?
I believe that is the point he is making. We are not unique in having cranks, but we tolerate them more than others. Thus we have a more active and visible crank subculture as evidenced by Art Bell et al.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 12-17-22, 05:18 PM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Liked 10,449 Times in 7,248 Posts
Originally Posted by Sorcerer
... However, there was a benefit in that it distracted me from the major pains I was having, if only for a few minutes. For that I was grateful, belive me.
Old 12-17-22, 05:38 PM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Liked 10,449 Times in 7,248 Posts
...visualization, like the ones involved in this "earthing" business, have honestly been studied as a method for controlling chronic pain. I could post links, but that would just incite further "woo woo" talk among the science minded. I cannot explain how it works, or even why it works for some people, and not for others. But dismissing visualizations of body energy flow as "just the placebo effect", as a method for reducing your sensation of pain, is a luxury that is usually only afforded to people who do not suffer chronic pain. I first experienced this during and after a weekend spent with Al Huang, doing chi gong. Again, I don't claim any expertise in how or why it works. Thankfully, I didn't need that for it to work. But like I said, that has movement coupled with the visualization. Might be a form of self hypnosis, which also works remarkably well for pain.

I guess I'm kind of surprised, that on a forum with so many cyclists, more of you have not at least experimented with mind/body techniques as a way to increase performance.
Old 12-17-22, 06:06 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Liked 6,112 Times in 3,121 Posts
And then there is rock walking, “people that walked on the stones showed significant improvement in balance, measures of mobility and blood pressure. Walkingonrocks likely stimulates reflexology and acupressure points on the feet - where distant and seemingly unrelated areas of the body are linked”.

Whatever squeaks your sneakers (or non-sneakers)

Old 12-17-22, 07:14 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...visualization, like the ones involved in this "earthing" business, have honestly been studied as a method for controlling chronic pain. I could post links, but that would just incite further "woo woo" talk among the science minded. I cannot explain how it works, or even why it works for some people, and not for others. But dismissing visualizations of body energy flow as "just the placebo effect", as a method for reducing your sensation of pain, is a luxury that is usually only afforded to people who do not suffer chronic pain. I first experienced this during and after a weekend spent with Al Huang, doing chi gong. Again, I don't claim any expertise in how or why it works. Thankfully, I didn't need that for it to work. But like I said, that has movement coupled with the visualization. Might be a form of self hypnosis, which also works remarkably well for pain.

I guess I'm kind of surprised, that on a forum with so many cyclists, more of you have not at least experimented with mind/body techniques as a way to increase performance.
Visualization is a legit technique with a believable rationale and some supporting data.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 12-17-22, 08:02 PM
DangerousDanR

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
FYI electrical charge is measured in coulombs, not (nano) amps.
My mistake... the amps is the flow of current to ground that was measured by the Chiropractors looking for a coherent signal.
Old 12-17-22, 08:09 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 12-18-22, 10:45 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I just don't like generalizations about nations or cultures. I also find that making gratuitous insults towards the US to be tiring.
He isn't saying cranks and crackpots are uniquely American.

What he is saying is unique is the tendency to falsely regard all opinions as equally meritorious, so that (to use a completely different example) the idea that Creationism/Intelligent Design, and Darwinian Evolution, are equally valid points of view (and therefore deserving equal coverage in high school science curricula), is a uniquely American phenomenon.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 12-18-22, 12:03 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Liked 6,112 Times in 3,121 Posts
R.E. Asimov...

From Wiki, “Nathan's hotdogs are primarily manufactured by Smithfield Foods,[17] a subsidiary of China's WH Group.”

I guess that is pretty “American’ these days.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-18-22, 01:54 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
He isn't saying cranks and crackpots are uniquely American.

What he is saying is unique is the tendency to falsely regard all opinions as equally meritorious, so that (to use a completely different example) the idea that Creationism/Intelligent Design, and Darwinian Evolution, are equally valid points of view (and therefore deserving equal coverage in high school science curricula), is a uniquely American phenomenon.
It goes further than that, to the point of regarding expertise as generically suspect and corrupt, as in conventional medical research is "all about pushing pills."
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 12-18-22, 02:18 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Hold on......
I need to pack my pipe, and I will get back to you.....
Likes For trailangel:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.