Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

10 Miles a Day for Weight Loss?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-24, 06:56 AM
evanr

Bikes: Trek Dual Sport 3 Gen 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

For context, I am a 25-year-old male who weighs 195lbs and is 5'5".

I'm sorry if this is too much information. I want to make sure you have as much information to go off of as possible. So, I recently started getting into biking (or cycling) and have purchased a Trek Dual Sport 3 Gen 5 from my local Trek store. I live in a suburb of Houston, TX, and my bike paths are mainly sidewalks with some dirt paths mixed in (this is why I went with the Dual Sport). So I have been getting up at 4:00 am every weekday for the last two weeks and doing between 10 and 11 miles each morning before I get ready for work (I have also biked 15 or 16 miles on Saturday for the last two weeks). Currently, I am averaging about 12mph, and it takes me about 50min to 65min to complete my 10-mile goal. Today, my 5-mile splits were 25.38 minutes and 26.34 minutes, with an average heart rate of 136. I track everything I eat and weigh all of my food, and I should eat about 1750 to 2150 calories a day for a healthy weight loss rate; I would like to lose 45 lbs and be at a healthy 150 lbs. I have trouble hitting my calorie goals but not in a surplus. I am consistently ending my day with only about 1200-1450 calories on the day. With all this information out of the way, I have not noticed a consistent decrease in weight loss. I am getting faster on my bike but I thought with me having such a caloric deffacit that i would be dropping weight fast and I am not seeing that. Is there any advice or help that you guys could offer me to help with my journey?
Old 05-09-24, 07:01 AM
Breadfan

Bikes: Niner RLT 9, 1972 Nishiki Road Compe, Jamis Renegade, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 39 Posts
Similar results for me, I'll be following this.
Old 05-09-24, 07:32 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked 506 Times in 279 Posts
Get under 20 grams of carbs a day and zero sugar and alcohol. You will drop weight fast. It will suck for about a month, but you will drop 5-10 lbs. a month after that.

Last edited by RH Clark; 05-09-24 at 07:42 AM.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 05-09-24, 08:20 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6319 Post(s)
Liked 4,908 Times in 3,383 Posts
Short rides at high intensity always seemed to have me eating more Calories back than I burned. Longer slower rides of 2 plus hours always seemed to do more for weight.

At your age and current times for the miles and HR, I'm not sure if those short rides are that intense as mine will have been. However you might try to get at least one 2 to 3 hour slow ride in there during the week. And you don't have to ride 5 days a week unless you just want too. But if those short rides are a high intensity for you, then you might need more recovery in between.

Recovery doesn't mean rest and stay off the bike. Just means keep your activity intensity low. IMO.

And for weight loss, don't think in terms of weeks to see results. Think in terms of months. With the various plateaus you will go through some results will require most of a year to see.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-09-24, 08:57 AM
evanr

Bikes: Trek Dual Sport 3 Gen 5

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Short rides at high intensity always seemed to have me eating more Calories back than I burned. Longer slower rides of 2 plus hours always seemed to do more for weight.

At your age and current times for the miles and HR, I'm not sure if those short rides are that intense as mine will have been. However you might try to get at least one 2 to 3 hour slow ride in there during the week. And you don't have to ride 5 days a week unless you just want too. But if those short rides are a high intensity for you, then you might need more recovery in between.

Recovery doesn't mean rest and stay off the bike. Just means keep your activity intensity low. IMO.

And for weight loss, don't think in terms of weeks to see results. Think in terms of months. With the various plateaus you will go through some results will require most of a year to see.

Thank you! I think this helps. I would not say that my rides are at the top of my intensity I could for sure ride for longer but I also don't feel like I am doing it too slow. I just don't have anymore time than the hour I already dedicate in the morning since I am getting up at 4am and have to leave the house by 6am for work.
Old 05-09-24, 08:58 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4426 Post(s)
Liked 3,055 Times in 1,890 Posts
Weight loss is really about food intake discipline. No cheat days. Exercise can help, but it will not be the determining factor.
Day to day weight changes are not reliable. Take the long view, and stick with a careful diet,.

Vary the length and intensity of your rides. Don't do the same thing every day. Go for longer rides on the weekend.

Longer rides do not give you license to eat more.
Old 05-10-24, 05:29 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1776 Post(s)
Liked 1,304 Times in 756 Posts
This is a timely topic for me. For a little background.... when playing college football back in the late '60's I was 5' 10 12" and weighed 180-190 lbs depending on the amount of resistance training I was doing. These days I'm 5'9" on a tall day and 186 lbs. If I"m not paying attention I can easily get to 195 lbs. Cycling does not seem to affect my weight very much. My doctor says I should keep my calories to 1800 / day. In practice my intake is around 1600-2000 calories a day. Typically this includes 300-400 calories in whiskey. Because of a month long respiratory issue (it really sucked) and what seems like constant rain in CT I haven't been riding much. Still I remain constant at 187 lbs. FWIW back in the day when I was doing stuff like riding from ME to CT my low weight was 175 lbs.
Old 05-10-24, 06:02 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 886 Times in 462 Posts
as someone else replied here, I tend to eat more calories than I burn after a ride. I think a disciplined diet is key in addition to exercise.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 05-10-24, 11:54 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3538 Post(s)
Liked 3,691 Times in 1,850 Posts
A common rough estimate for energy burned while cycling at a moderate pace is 50-60 kcal/mile.

So a 10-mile ride ought to burn 500-600 kcal (Calories).

Consider that when deciding how many Calories to consume.

But if you really want an accurate estimate of Calories burned, get a power meter for your bike.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 05-10-24, 01:57 PM
RH Clark

Originally Posted by terrymorse
A common rough estimate for energy burned while cycling at a moderate pace is 50-60 kcal/mile.

So a 10-mile ride ought to burn 500-600 kcal (Calories).

Consider that when deciding how many Calories to consume.

But if you really want an accurate estimate of Calories burned, get a power meter for your bike.
Calories burned is a good thing to know and it does matter but you also have to remember the human body does not process all calories the same. All calories do not cause the same processes to be activated in the body and so calories are something good to know but not necessarily the most important part of the equation.
Old 05-10-24, 04:29 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by RH Clark
Calories burned is a good thing to know and it does matter but you also have to remember the human body does not process all calories the same. All calories do not cause the same processes to be activated in the body and so calories are something good to know but not necessarily the most important part of the equation.
If weight gain/loss is the target, I would think that Calories is the most important part of the equation, and that the mix of protein/carbs/fats is secondary.

The body is pretty good at doing what it wants with the food it takes in, or so I've heard.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 05-10-24, 05:59 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 400 Posts
If weight gain/loss is the target, I would think that Calories is the most important part of the equation, and that the mix of protein/carbs/fats is secondary.

The body is pretty good at doing what it wants with the food it takes in, or so I've heard.
Yep, if one wants to gain/lose weight it's mostly about calories in/out. As far as tracking macros, those are partly a tool to sustain the overall caloric deficit IMO. I.E. getting enough carbs and protein, at the correct time, to maintain a caloric deficit without hurting strength/recovery. My racing/fitness improvement coming into this season was nailing down my nutrition. It's been eye-opening to say the least and generally, a caloric deficit has equaled weight loss.

Kinda echoing your comment about power meters, it's rather disappointing to see how few calories I actually burn during an hour of low intensity riding. Without a power meter, I'd wager that most people over-estimate their caloric expenditure. Especially with non-whole foods, it's pretty easy to blow through a 500 calorie workout.
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 05-10-24, 06:10 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 2,095 Times in 1,100 Posts
If I'm not hungry all the time, I'm not losing weight.

It doesn't matter how much or hard I ride, I can (and will) eat more than I burn, unless I stay hungry.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 05-10-24, 07:21 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

This is simply not true. As MoAlpha said in the other thread, a Joule is a Joule is a Joule (and a "calorie" or kcal, is always 4184 Joules).
What is true is that not all caloric content is necessarily absorbed by your gastrointestinal system. Some goes directly to, umm, waste. But this applies to foodstuffs that are not easily absorbed, and that's a small part of the caloric content of most diets. Once it's absorbed, it's the same amount of energy content and has the same effect on the net balance of weight gain.
Old 05-10-24, 07:41 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3916 Post(s)
Liked 1,969 Times in 1,405 Posts
I'm another one who has to be hungry to lose weight. Not all day, but say for at least a couple hours before a meal. The issue with that is feeling weak, dizzy, etc. from low blood sugar. The fix for that seems to be more training at low intensities, to encourage one's fat burning ability. I find that it's not easy to lose weight, duh.
Old 05-11-24, 06:15 AM
RH Clark

Originally Posted by MinnMan
This is simply not true. As MoAlpha said in the other thread, a Joule is a Joule is a Joule (and a "calorie" or kcal, is always 4184 Joules).
What is true is that not all caloric content is necessarily absorbed by your gastrointestinal system. Some goes directly to, umm, waste. But this applies to foodstuffs that are not easily absorbed, and that's a small part of the caloric content of most diets. Once it's absorbed, it's the same amount of energy content and has the same effect on the net balance of weight gain.
No, all calories are not the same in the human body because they cause different reactions. You cannot say that 500 calories of processed carbohydrates effect the body the same as 500 calories of animal fat and protein. All calories are not the same as far as what the body does with them and what they cause in the body, and that isn't even taking the nutrition value into consideration.

Last edited by RH Clark; 05-11-24 at 06:51 AM.
Old 05-11-24, 09:16 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6319 Post(s)
Liked 4,908 Times in 3,383 Posts
No, all calories are not the same in the human body because they cause different reactions. You cannot say that 500 calories of processed carbohydrates effect the body the same as 500 calories of animal fat and protein. All calories are not the same as far as what the body does with them and what they cause in the body, and that isn't even taking the nutrition value into consideration.
You seem to be moving the cheese around. Do you want to talk about Calories or do you want to talk about nutrition. I didn't see that the guy in the video actually said anything. He too was just bringing up stuff and not answering the thoughts he put out there. And no where did he even support any of his suggestion with evidence. Just the usual blabbery of saying a bunch of stuff that has some truth to it for other things, but never makes the connection to the subject spoken of.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-11-24, 09:31 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2280 Post(s)
Liked 3,503 Times in 1,839 Posts
You cannot escape the First (or Second) Law of Thermodynamics, despite the magical thinking displayed in YouTube videos.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 05-11-24, 11:39 AM
RH Clark

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
You cannot escape the First (or Second) Law of Thermodynamics, despite the magical thinking displayed in YouTube videos.
Nobody is saying that you don't need to burn more calories than you ingest to lose weight. Is it so hard to understand that all calories are simply not the same as to how they affect your body and that should also be a consideration in a proper diet?
Old 05-11-24, 12:37 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2280 Post(s)
Liked 3,503 Times in 1,839 Posts
A calorie, or a joule, is a unit of energy. As such, it is a thermodynamic state function. It doesn't matter what its history might be.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 05-11-24, 12:48 PM
MinnMan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nt6KAUvedI&t=23s
All calories are the same in terms of weight gain.
Stop getting your information from Youtube.
Old 05-11-24, 01:34 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10216 Post(s)
Liked 5,920 Times in 3,191 Posts
Here is a nice review of the carbohydrate-insulin hypothesis of obesity from Kevin Hall, a giant in this field, who does actual research on people, showing why it is very unlikely to be correct.

https://www.nature.com/articles/ejcn2016260

This is the consensus among real nutrition scientists.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 05-11-24, 04:40 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Here is a nice review of the carbohydrate-insulin hypothesis of obesity from Kevin Hall, a giant in this field, who does actual research on people, showing why it is very unlikely to be correct.

https://www.nature.com/articles/ejcn2016260

This is the consensus among real nutrition scientists.
An interesting speculation in the conclusions:

"The rise in obesity prevalence may be primarily due to increased consumption of refined carbohydrates, but the mechanisms are likely to be quite different from those proposed by the carbohydrateinsulin model. For example, such diets may lead to greater overall energy intake by increasing palatability, increasing appetite or decreasing satiety."

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 05-11-24, 05:59 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10216 Post(s)
Liked 5,920 Times in 3,191 Posts
An interesting speculation in the conclusions:

"The rise in obesity prevalence may be primarily due to increased consumption of refined carbohydrates, but the mechanisms are likely to be quite different from those proposed by the carbohydrateinsulin model. For example, such diets may lead to greater overall energy intake by increasing palatability, increasing appetite or decreasing satiety."
Yep. That is the current theory and Hall’s focus is now ultra-processed foods.
Old 05-11-24, 06:50 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3916 Post(s)
Liked 1,969 Times in 1,405 Posts
Those of us who don't subscribe to the right journals can't read the study. However I found this quote from it in Nature:
‘In concordance with the model predictions, carbohydrate restriction led to increased fat oxidation reaching a maximum within a few days and remaining constant thereafter. However, neither study found the predicted augmentation of body fat loss with carbohydrate restriction. Rather, despite the reduction in insulin secretion, both studies found slightly less body fat loss during the carbohydrate restricted diets compared with isocaloric higher carbohydrate diets with identical protein.
Which seems a bit counterintuitive, knowing nothing about the science behind this finding. HOWEVER, it's really good to know that I can keep on eating my wife's dinner cooking without issues. That's been working for 50 years, no desire for changes there.

My guess at that finding is it's the old saw, "Fat burns in a carbohydrate flame." IOW, one can be more energetic with carbs in the diet than without, and more calories expended means that some of those "more calories" are from fat and one's fat burning ability is being augmented.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.