Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Friction Shifting Brifters - Modify STI Brifter?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Friction Shifting Brifters - Modify STI Brifter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-24, 09:51 AM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Columbine, Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
I looked into the Gevenalle a couple of years ago to convert an MTB with 10sp Dynasys derailleurs to a drop bar to do a tour with it. They supposedly made them but were out of stock, and they were going to be expensive, more than the original setup. I ultimately bought SQ Labs bar inners, which give me a drop bar thumb hook position on the otherwise flat bar setup. I can shift and brake without moving my hands. This won't help the OP though since he already has drop bars.
It won't help on this bike, but those will be great on my two flat bar bikes, so I order a set - thanks!

Last edited by PromptCritical; 05-12-24 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-12-24, 10:16 AM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Columbine, Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Originally Posted by bboy314
Finding appropriate 9 speed STI shifters isn’t hard, but you will need to do some basic research on compatibility, IE Shimano vs. Campagnolo, drivetrain speeds, etc.

Also a picture of the dropout may help folks help you figure out the b stop issue.
Here are pictures of the dropout.

Not a great picture, but one can see the b-screw is almost entirely outside the diameter of the dropout.

Slightly better picture.

Thinking one of these in the proper diameter might work.
Old 05-12-24, 10:17 AM
PromptCritical 

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
The B screw notch has to be sorted out or else nothing will work. Is this a French frame with Simplex or Huret drop-outs?
It's a custom frame. Lineage unknown, and I don't know enough about dropouts to identify the dropouts visually.
Old 05-12-24, 10:18 AM
PromptCritical 

Another challenge!!

Where does one find lever clamps in different sizes? All I can find are 22.2mm clamps. The usual suspects Universal Cycles, Problem Solvers, etc..... don't have much that are labeled with sizes.

I swear the Campy clamp used to fit - honest.

Last edited by PromptCritical; 05-12-24 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-12-24, 10:25 AM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4574 Post(s)
Liked 1,718 Times in 1,128 Posts
Originally Posted by PromptCritical
Another challenge!!

Where does one find lever clamps in different sizes?

I swear the Campy clamp used to fit - honest.
There is only one size of road bar clamps for nice bikes - 23.8mm.

Are you asking where to get the correct parts for the model brake lever you have?

Last edited by Kontact; 05-12-24 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Corrected wrong dimension
Old 05-12-24, 10:39 AM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 748 Times in 393 Posts

I thought about stem shifters, but they bring back bad memories about junior high school and Schwinn (lead pipe) Varsitys.
Some of with accumulations of dusty memories recall that the Schwinn “Twin-Stick” shifters were an option on the Paramounts.

I was going to suggest the Genevalle shifters also but… first I get the coffee.
Old 05-12-24, 11:02 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
My question was if OP wanted something like brake/shifters, why not just run indexed brake shifters ?. Why use friction at all. Get a matchup set of F and R derailers and just use an indexed system.
I was just using your post as a reference point, not trying to correct you. I'm sorry anybody misunderstood. But, yeah, the levers are the most costly part of the system, so it's kind of silly to built around the derailleurs.
Old 05-12-24, 11:05 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 348 Posts
And why not bar-end shifters? They would appear to be easier to actuate than any of these brake-hood attachments, providing you can get your hands on the drops.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 05-12-24, 12:28 PM
PromptCritical 

Originally Posted by Kontact
There is only one size of road bar clamps for nice bikes - 22.2mm.

Are you asking where to get the correct parts for the model brake lever you have?
Well, I took the clamp of a broken Ultegra Flightdeck shifter and it fits. Alas, I only have one.

Guess I’ll “borrow” one from a good pair. Pinky swear I’ll replace it 🤪

Last edited by PromptCritical; 05-12-24 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-12-24, 01:31 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 484 Times in 371 Posts
Here are pictures of the dropout.

Not a great picture, but one can see the b-screw is almost entirely outside the diameter of the dropout.
Reverse the screw so its head hits the frame tab.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 05-12-24, 01:59 PM
grumpus

There is only one size of road bar clamps for nice bikes - 22.2mm.
Nominally 23.8 mm or 15/16" for aluminium drop bars. 22.2 mm or 7/8" for flat bars (and IIRC steel drop bars).
Likes For grumpus:
Old 05-12-24, 02:10 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by grumpus
Nominally 23.8 mm or 15/16" for aluminium drop bars. 22.2 mm or 7/8" for flat bars (and IIRC steel drop bars).
Spot on. Thank you for the correction.
Old 05-12-24, 05:29 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 2,200 Times in 1,338 Posts
Kelly Take Offs also allow the use of any downtube shifter:

I have a pair - they work well.
I’m running a set of Kelly’s. When I first got them I didn’t care for them but years later I dug them out and I think they are there to stay.

I didn’t care for friction shifting for the rear. But I’m running Ultegra index DT levers now and it is much better with the hand gyrations. The spring loaded left lever makes shifting a triple a breeze.

John
Old 05-12-24, 05:42 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I’m running a set of Kelly’s. When I first got them I didn’t care for them but years later I dug them out and I think they are there to stay.

I didn’t care for friction shifting for the rear. But I’m running Ultegra index DT levers now and it is much better with the hand gyrations. The spring loaded left lever makes shifting a triple a breeze.

John
With the sprung front shifter, Ultegras are legitimately the nicest index levers around.

But Kelly's with Simplex Retrofriction and the right RD could work well.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 05-12-24, 05:50 PM
grumpus

Spot on. Thank you for the correction.
I'm pretty sure you didn't mean to write 22.2 mm, but it might have confused someone else.
Old 05-12-24, 06:10 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 787 Posts
I've read the thread, but might have missed something or misunderstood the ultimate goal. I know that DT shifters are to be avoided and that there is a Campy RD with a Shimano rear hub.

If it were my bike, I'd get some friction bar end shifters, maybe. Except I once tried 9 speed with friction shifting and the close spaces between the cassette sprockets just made it a little too fussy for me - and I "grew" up for over 20 years with friction shifting.

So, I personally would go for indexing with 9 speed, but YMMV. I would replace the RD with an inexpensive Shimano compatible unit, road or MTB (8 or 9 speed) depending on how large a cassette I was looking for. I would then buy some inexpensive Microshift 9 speed brake/shifters, indexing would be perfect. And I've been very impressed with the function and value of Microshift shifters.

But like I said, I could completely be missing the boat re: what the OP is looking for.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 05-13-24, 01:05 AM
PromptCritical 

Originally Posted by KCT1986
For someone who has finger mobility issues, brifters or rapid fire type shifter would seem to be the best option since the lever 'returns' to the same position. Assuming a suitable position can be found which would work, it would limit the mobility needed. Friction shifters would seem to need more mobility range to work on most none downtube mounts.

Shimano's modern rapid fire shifters allow some adjustments on placement on the brake lever/mount.

Shimano shifters have quite a few option but the compatibility must be understood, something that the OP doesn't seem to be willing to learn.
I asked a simple question about friction brifters for a reason. It is what I want to use for a couple of reasons that I didn't feel like writing a soliloquy about. Why? Because I expect to change the cassette from 9-speed and then likely to 12. That would require a new set of brifters, so it would be silly to spend a not insignificant amount of money on something that will be replaced.

BTW - I do understand the compatibility issues and have made these conversions before.
Old 05-13-24, 04:06 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 3,108 Times in 1,768 Posts
I asked a simple question about friction brifters for a reason. It is what I want to use for a couple of reasons that I didn't feel like writing a soliloquy about. Why? Because I expect to change the cassette from 9-speed and then likely to 12. That would require a new set of brifters, so it would be silly to spend a not insignificant amount of money on something that will be replaced.

BTW - I do understand the compatibility issues and have made these conversions before.
Not quite sure what "expect to change the cassette from 9-speed and then likely to 12" means. If you meant ". . . to 9-speed . . . ," then see below. If you meant something else (I.e., "from 9-speed to 10-speed and then . . . "), there's likely a cheap Micronew brake/shifter set that would work.

If you did mean ". . . to 9-speed . . . ", I'd just get a set of these; currently 65 dollars on Amazon. (FWIW, I got sick of trying to baby along a gummed-up set of 10-speed Ultegra brake/shifters and replaced them with a Micronew set. Much simpler and more positive shifting mechanism. Unless the louder click from gear to gear would bother you, I highly recommend them.)

Micronew STI Road Bike Shifters Double 2×9 Speed Lever Brake Bicycle Derailleur Groupset Compatible for Shimano Sora 9 Speed

Last edited by Trakhak; 05-13-24 at 04:13 AM.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 05-13-24, 10:54 AM
PromptCritical 

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Not quite sure what "expect to change the cassette from 9-speed and then likely to 12" means. If you meant ". . . to 9-speed . . . ," then see below. If you meant something else (I.e., "from 9-speed to 10-speed and then . . . "), there's likely a cheap Micronew brake/shifter set that would work.

If you did mean ". . . to 9-speed . . . ", I'd just get a set of these; currently 65 dollars on Amazon. (FWIW, I got sick of trying to baby along a gummed-up set of 10-speed Ultegra brake/shifters and replaced them with a Micronew set. Much simpler and more positive shifting mechanism. Unless the louder click from gear to gear would bother you, I highly recommend them.)

Micronew STI Road Bike Shifters Double 2×9 Speed Lever Brake Bicycle Derailleur Groupset Compatible for Shimano Sora 9 Speed

Thanks! I wasn't aware of those. I'll give them a try. And they make 2x10 as well. Fantastic!