Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wooden rims?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Wooden rims?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-24, 11:50 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,103 Times in 1,978 Posts
Is the wheel builder's name Woody or Chuck? AFAF
Old 05-17-24, 12:45 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10584 Post(s)
Liked 12,187 Times in 6,244 Posts
I am not an engineer, apart from being a genetic engineer, so I speak from limited experience and knowledge. But it seems to me that there are a couple points.

First, in a sense, there is no WOOD. Rather, there are WOODS - different species, different characteristics. If you think of WOOD as a single entity, you might conclude that it can't be made into, for example, bows. You can't make a bow out of Pine, at least not of a reasonable length and poundage, but you can make a ~6 foot longbow out of Yew that could pull up to 200#. Why? Because unlike Pine, Yew is strong in tension and compression. Also, the density of wood is as low as 8 lb/ft^3 to 88 lb/ft^3, so wood is anywhere from 1/20 as dense as aluminum to 1/2.

Second, you would not build a wooden rim like an aluminum rim. Aluminum works well as a thin-walled tube shape, whereas wood works as a solid. That's how they make the rims. It's also how arrows are made out of those two materials. A solid aluminum rim wouldn't work, and neither would a hollow wooden rim. So, sure, maybe wood has lower tensile strength than aluminum but it's also much less dense, so you can use more of it.

Wood was used successfully for decades to make rims for racing bicycles, riding on much worse roads. It works. Aluminum works better, so we use that these days.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-17-24, 01:51 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 103 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
"There are several rims on offer, and weight per single rim varies between 350–450 grams each"
And apparently beech wood is where the sweet spot between weight and strength meet for this application.

https://roadbikeaction.com/rolling-on-wheels-of-wood
I mean those are pretty misleading numbers because the rims are 350g-450g each which is a pretty big difference but let's say it;s 375g each and 75 for nipples. Decent Sapim spokes are 220 grams 20+24 spokes and nipples. A DT Swiss 240 front and rear hub w/ XDR w/ centerlock is 399g. Tape is another 30g Is 1474g which I guess is good and is ub there with some of the lighter aluminum wheels albeit much shallower rim depth, but $440 for the wheels, $75 for the spokes, $15 for the nipples, $15 for tape, $670 for the front and rear hubs. So assuming someone knows how to build a wheelset that is $1215 without labor for a pair of decently light but very shallow wooden rims. Or basically for the same price at $259 per wheel you can buy a Light Bicycle Falcon pro Rim AR25 for $259 at 250g each. Or even better for $1200 you basically can buy any premium wheelset from Elitewheels, Winspace, 9Velo, Superteam, or whatever $1200 or less carbon fiber, ceramic bearing, and even carbon spoke wheelset.

Point being yeah if you want to be different or want a project knock yourself out, but IMO these offer NOTHING in terms of value, weight, aero, and frankly are so niche this is more theoretical type of wheel than an actual practical one

Last edited by Jrasero; 05-17-24 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-17-24, 01:59 PM
Jrasero

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Says someone who knows little about high quality wood/epoxy design and construction. Light, strong and long lasting sailboat hulls, masts, etc. have been made out of wood and raced for speed records and around the world. The skilled makers of wood sailboat spars would have little trouble making strong, light wood rims. Little excess resin and that would get squeezed out in the laminating process.
The issue is that a boat is very different than a bike wheel and a boat has massive motors to move insane weight. There is a reason carbon isn't used widely in aquatics just ask the Titan submersible team
Old 05-17-24, 02:12 PM
DiTBho

Bikes: Moser Forma/Campagnolo 8sp, Litespeed Classic/Campagnolo 8sp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Jrasero
$440 for the wheels, $75 for the spokes, $15 for the nipples, $15 for tape, $670 for the front and rear hubs
160 euro, pair of woody Sanremo rims + nibble kit
005 euro, qty=2 rim tapes
250 euro, pair of Campagnolo C-Records hubs/8speed, 1994, NOS
020 euro, 1 kit, couple of brake cork pads, for caliper rim-brakes
160 euro, assembly service for two wheels, including qty=72 Sapim Race spokes, 36 on each wheel
060 euro, pair of Schwalbe hockless TSS tires
025 euro, pair of inner tubes
Old 05-17-24, 02:45 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3559 Post(s)
Liked 3,727 Times in 1,866 Posts
The issue is that a boat is very different than a bike wheel and a boat has massive motors to move insane weight. There is a reason carbon isn't used widely in aquatics just ask the Titan submersible team
1. Racing sailboats don’t use massive motors.
2. Racing catamarans don’t have “insane weight”.
3. Carbon fiber is used extensively on racing boats. The limiting factor for CF usually is cost, otherwise it would be more common.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 05-17-24, 02:51 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 708 Posts
I mean those are pretty misleading numbers because the rims are 350g-450g each which is a pretty big difference but let's say it;s 375g each and 75 for nipples. Decent Sapim spokes are 220 grams 20+24 spokes and nipples. A DT Swiss 240 front and rear hub w/ XDR w/ centerlock is 399g. Tape is another 30g Is 1474g which I guess is good and is ub there with some of the lighter aluminum wheels albeit much shallower rim depth, but $440 for the wheels, $75 for the spokes, $15 for the nipples, $15 for tape, $670 for the front and rear hubs. So assuming someone knows how to build a wheelset that is $1215 without labor for a pair of decently light but very shallow wooden rims. Or basically for the same price at $259 per wheel you can buy a Light Bicycle Falcon pro Rim AR25 for $259 at 250g each. Or even better for $1200 you basically can buy any premium wheelset from Elitewheels, Winspace, 9Velo, Superteam, or whatever $1200 or less carbon fiber, ceramic bearing, and even carbon spoke wheelset.

Point being yeah if you want to be different or want a project knock yourself out, but IMO these offer NOTHING in terms of value, weight, aero, and frankly are so niche this is more theoretical type of wheel than an actual practical one
The range is because different wooden rims have different specs, just like aluminum or carbon rims. Of course it’s gonna cost a lot, they’re novelty or boutique items. Like I said before, I’d only do it on a vintage bike. The point is that claiming they’re much heavier is false.
Old 05-17-24, 03:07 PM
cweb99

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 61 Posts
Are you riding the Origen Trail?
Old 05-17-24, 03:09 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10217 Post(s)
Liked 5,930 Times in 3,194 Posts
CFRP has been standard for racing sailboat hulls and rigs, large and small, for decades and is increasingly common in high-end powerboats. It is far superior to the glass composites and aluminum it replaced.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 05-17-24, 03:11 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10217 Post(s)
Liked 5,930 Times in 3,194 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Says someone who knows little about high quality wood/epoxy design and construction. Light, strong and long lasting sailboat hulls, masts, etc. have been made out of wood and raced for speed records and around the world. The skilled makers of wood sailboat spars would have little trouble making strong, light wood rims. Little excess resin and that would get squeezed out in the laminating process.
Are cold molded rims a thing?
Old 05-17-24, 03:11 PM
Jrasero

Originally Posted by urbanknight
The range is because different wooden rims have different specs, just like aluminum or carbon rims. Of course it’s gonna cost a lot, they’re novelty or boutique items. Like I said before, I’d only do it on a vintage bike. The point is that claiming they’re much heavier is false.
Again no it's not false. You literally can get Carbon fiber rims for the same price or a lot less and it weigh 250g less before building them up, plus if you were to buy a complete wheelset from a manufacture you could get lighter hubs and lighter spokes and nibbles for the same price or much less

Last edited by Jrasero; 05-17-24 at 03:19 PM.
Old 05-17-24, 03:12 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4015 Post(s)
Liked 7,524 Times in 3,028 Posts
They make trees out of wood, so it must be a good material for bike wheels.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-17-24, 03:13 PM
Jrasero

Originally Posted by terrymorse
1. Racing sailboats don’t use massive motors.
2. Racing catamarans don’t have “insane weight”.
3. Carbon fiber is used extensively on racing boats. The limiting factor for CF usually is cost, otherwise it would be more common.
Sailboats also have this thing called wind which is free energy and us cyclists have legs. Your point is mute
Old 05-17-24, 03:17 PM
Jrasero

Originally Posted by DiTBho
160 euro, pair of woody Sanremo rims + nibble kit
005 euro, qty=2 rim tapes
250 euro, pair of Campagnolo C-Records hubs/8speed, 1994, NOS
020 euro, 1 kit, couple of brake cork pads, for caliper rim-brakes
160 euro, assembly service for two wheels, including qty=72 Sapim Race spokes, 36 on each wheel
060 euro, pair of Schwalbe hockless TSS tires
025 euro, pair of inner tubes
So that's roughly 680 euro or $740 for a non modern set of wheels when in comparison you can by a direct to consumer Chinese set of modern wheels in the 9Velo LV35 V2 at 1209 for $800 or buy even a lower end Superteam or Elitewheels for $600 or less. I mean do whatever you want but your build besides having some novel wheelset and it being able to accommodate a non modern bike is vastly inferior. The point is not if wooden wheels can be made but is it worth it? And the answer to that is a resounding no
Old 05-17-24, 04:51 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3559 Post(s)
Liked 3,727 Times in 1,866 Posts
Sailboats also have this thing called wind which is free energy and us cyclists have legs.
Granted, and what is your point? That wood is a heavy and weak material, and that's why it's used on boats but rarely on bikes?

Wrong, per the evidence posted by me above.

Old 05-17-24, 05:39 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Quoted: 10584 Post(s)
Liked 12,187 Times in 6,244 Posts
So that's roughly 680 euro or $740 for a non modern set of wheels when in comparison you can by a direct to consumer Chinese set of modern wheels in the 9Velo LV35 V2 at 1209 for $800 or buy even a lower end Superteam or Elitewheels for $600 or less. I mean do whatever you want but your build besides having some novel wheelset and it being able to accommodate a non modern bike is vastly inferior. The point is not if wooden wheels can be made but is it worth it? And the answer to that is a resounding no
Yeah, I don't think you've come even close to proving "vastly inferior". Carbon rims are notorious for poor braking in the wet, for example, and your contention that wood is heavier got blown out of the water at the top of the thread. You don't like the idea, and they wouldn't be wheels you'd want to use. I think we all get that.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-17-24, 07:16 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1276 Post(s)
Liked 1,378 Times in 700 Posts
Only on bike forums can you get a 3 page thread discussing wooden bicycle rims and actually have people defending them! I am continually surprised how a forum discussing cycling can be so completely disconnected to the actual cycling community. What an absolute majority of sporting cyclists find normal and a part of cycling becomes some marketing bs to extort money from uninformed fools according to the usual suspects. It’s like looking into some alternative reality and I can’t look away. It’s my guilty pleasure I must say.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 05-17-24, 07:22 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Only on bike forums can you get a 3 page thread discussing wooden bicycle rims and actually have people defending them! I am continually surprised how a forum discussing cycling can be so completely disconnected to the actual cycling community. What an absolute majority of sporting cyclists find normal and a part of cycling becomes some marketing bs to extort money from uninformed fools according to the usual suspects. It’s like looking into some alternative reality and I can’t look away. It’s my guilty pleasure I must say.
You're an anti-woodite, aren't you?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-17-24, 07:25 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18557 Post(s)
Liked 15,965 Times in 7,502 Posts
Your posts are mine.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-17-24, 07:28 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18557 Post(s)
Liked 15,965 Times in 7,502 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Next thing he’ll say is that woodites should have their own schools.
Old 05-17-24, 07:32 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1276 Post(s)
Liked 1,378 Times in 700 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Never thought about it but I would guess yes in this case but what I am surprised to be is a Tech-vangelist on these forums, which would be a surprise to my kids and family! I thought everyone was losing there marbles when the pro friction downtube shifting crowd got into it but wooden rims, really? Then dragging carbon into the debate as inferior this is bordering on insanity.
Old 05-17-24, 07:37 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked 1,686 Times in 1,084 Posts
Originally Posted by DiTBho
What do you think about wheels with wooden rims?...
Hey... Great! If they still make FAA approved Wooden Propellers then why not...

https://hoverhawk.com/hoverhawkwoodprops.html
Old 05-17-24, 08:02 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 561 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22723 Post(s)
Liked 9,088 Times in 4,224 Posts
All we need is some creative input from Larry and the thread will be complete.
Likes For datlas:
Old 05-17-24, 08:07 PM
tomato coupe

I want to lay claim to the punchline "big wood" now.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-17-24, 08:26 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3782 Post(s)
Liked 5,770 Times in 2,910 Posts
No doubt somewhere in China they can produce a wheel from mystery plastic that looks just like wood. And as everyone knows, only suckers pay for real stuff when a generic look-a-like is available at a third the price.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.