Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Besides the fact that it folds

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-07, 12:14 AM
yamcha
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Besides the fact that it folds why else do you prefer folders? I like the way folders look and I like to be a little bit different. Aslo like the way those 20" wheel let me start off faster and have more control at slow speeds. What about you all?
Old 09-14-07, 07:42 AM
psykoocycle

Bikes: 2009 Brompton S6R-X, 2001 RM Birdy Silver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I grew up on 20"s... or shall I say a BMX. Made the switch to the MTB later. Riding a folder is a bit like coming back home to one's roots, so when I rode my folder it just felt... well... familiar... comfortable...

A folder is like the swiss army knife of bikes, ultimate utility, and well, I do like the handling on 20's (quick, small turns). There is also something about the supergeek look of it. Its a serious but not so serious machine!
Old 09-14-07, 08:53 AM
locostbamboo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
re: folder

Some of us ride 16's.
Old 09-14-07, 08:57 AM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
The ability to pack into a suitcase is, at this point, the only reason why I'm using / keeping a folding bike.

Otherwise, I generally regard 20" folding bikes as inferior to standard wheeled bikes. As far as I'm concerned, you are making several compromises, even with a Bike Friday, in exchange for the convenience of folding it up.
Old 09-14-07, 11:13 AM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by yamcha
Besides the fact that it folds why else do you prefer folders? I like the way folders look and I like to be a little bit different. Aslo like the way those 20" wheel let me start off faster and have more control at slow speeds. What about you all?
I like the extreme range of fitting many type of human bodies and torso lengths that these bikes offer most people. This type of bike is the only one that seems to fit me well without going into great expense or hassle (like buying a Terry bike or some other speciality brand).
Old 09-14-07, 11:41 AM
LittlePixel
Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Because I embrace the unconventional.
Old 09-14-07, 01:32 PM
SesameCrunch
Eschew Obfuscation

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In addition to the things mentioned, I like the cleverness and variety of the designs to achieve the somewhat conflicting goals of a small fold and good ride for adults. From Bromptons to A-Bikes to Stridas to the more conventional folding designs, there's so much variety and ingenuity into the design equation. So much more "color" than the traditional upright market.

I also appreciate the artistic beauty of many of the designs. I seriously could hang some of these bikes on the wall and enjoy them as art. (I know, I'm not well...)
Old 09-14-07, 02:31 PM
bookishboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by folder fanatic
I like the extreme range of fitting many type of human bodies and torso lengths that these bikes offer most people. This type of bike is the only one that seems to fit me well without going into great expense or hassle (like buying a Terry bike or some other specialty brand).
+1. I'm relatively tall, my girlfriend is short, but we can switch the same folding bike back and forth between us. "One size fits most".

Here's another one. Folders are ideal for teaching people how to ride bicycles, particularly adults who never previously learned. The seatpost can be lengthened or shortened to the preferences of many different riders. On many folders, there is no top-tube running right into your crotch. This is terrifying for new riders, also the thought that when they hop up onto the seat, the bike will simply continue leaning over onto the other side and then fall over. Just fold the pedals up (or remove them) and let the new rider toodle around on the bike without pedaling.
Old 09-14-07, 03:18 PM
james_swift
All ur bike r belong Enki

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LittlePixel
Because I embrace the unconventional.
Agree. Just something about owning a bike that truly goes against convention. Perhaps not unlike the feeling that inspires many people to buy bents and trikes.

The most rewarding aspect, I think, is that riding a folding bike is an alltogether different experience, with it's own highly unique charactersitics and challenges. It captures that feeling you had when you first learned to ride a bike.

Oh yeah, the attention one gets on a folder isn't bad either.
Old 09-14-07, 03:30 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I had a yearning for a conventional roadie once. Then I got over it. So boring.
Old 09-14-07, 03:45 PM
doktoravalanche

Bikes: Frankenhinger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Because it (my bike) is punk. I love the way that it rides like a faster version of the BMX i had when i was a younger more reckless person, that it goes where ever i go, and i can go anywhere because of it.

Nothing stands in its way. Fallen trees? HA. Handlepost drops down, seat post retracts, and under we go again. Climb every mountain, ford every stream, follow every rainbow. Get the train back...

And my GF lets me keep it inthe house..
Old 09-14-07, 03:58 PM
makeinu
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like small things: apartments, laptops, bikes, wallets, etc.

I find it very dissatisfying when something is larger than it needs to be. So I like the fact that folding bikes are smaller, even when you don't fold them.
Old 09-14-07, 04:44 PM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I wasn't too sure if issues like storage, transporting without a rack (and the additional fuel efficiency), and theft prevention are all parts of its a "folding" bike instead of its small size.

It is a "chick" magnet. Then again, it is a guy magnet too.
Old 09-14-07, 05:48 PM
spambait11
Señor Mambo

Bikes: TST roadie, Cannondale CAAD 3, Surly Karate Stokemonkey Leap, Tern Cargo Node, Helix Alfine; 36er and 29er Triton Unicycles; a couple Bike Fridays; one Brompton; RadPower Radburro

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 12 Posts
As far as utility goes, they're good for commuting but not much else.
Old 09-14-07, 06:56 PM
burmesepenguin

Bikes: thinking of the Dahon Curve D3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's eccentric.
And the first folder I saw was a Brompton, and it's English, and I'm an Anglophile.
And, the idea of paying heavy ONCE for higher bike security, rather having a conventional bike stolen and buying them over and over again. I think it'll eventually pays for itself.
Also, it's just an engineering marvel, love the innovation.
Old 09-14-07, 10:59 PM
Leigh_caines

Bikes: Long Recumbent, Short recombent, racing bike, MTB, beach bike,Tandem,Fixy.2 twentys and a folding bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a folder to turn into a recumbent.... which I did.
Then I bought another folder with the idea of turning it into a front wheel drive recumbent but... I stated having fun on short rides around town... so this 2nd folder gets kept just to have fun on... I may have to buy a 3rd to go back to the other idea...
O well... how many is to many bikes?