Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Aren't we supposed to eat salad and lose weight in our 60's?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Aren't we supposed to eat salad and lose weight in our 60's?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-23, 07:22 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Interesting topic. I've noticed older family members get skinny fat and then when they have an illness or injury, they lack the reserves to recover. I've read that VO2 max is the largest predictor of all cause mortality for older people.

I am pretty sure I need to lose weight. SHould I get a DEXA scan? How do I know if I am too heavy?

I'm 6'3'' and 208 lbs. I have never been so heavy. My skinfold calipers say I am 13% but I don't believe them. The sum of the three folds is 27mm and about 8 years ago, the folds were 25mm and I weighted 185 lbs. My 5 minute power is now better and I climb short (under 5 minute) hills better but I used to climb longer hills better. My Doctor is really fat, has diabetes, asthma, and other inflammatory issues and almost laughs if I ask a question related to good health. I think I am probably 20% fat. Is that too much. Are there doctors who specialize in this sort of thing?

I found a PT clinic that does DEXA and the lady who runs the scan is also a Dietician. The scan is $250 with a nutritiional consult. Worth it????
Old 08-06-23, 08:14 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by AJW2W11E
I weigh about 190 and am short of 6 foot. I remember twenty years back watching people at my present age eating salad and crackers for lunch.
I'm thinking I should weigh maybe twenty pounds less, but I'm not fat. That's where biking plays a big role, I guess. Just like most of us, i take my riding seriously. I'm just not a skinny guy.
I'm not eating salad and crackers for lunch either, I'm downing a big lunch, albeit a healthy one, after my daily ride. I avoid red meat ,eggs , ice cream, pastries and fast food.
Am I doing something wrong here? I worry about this a lot lately. I'm thinking I should trim down?

Seniors are cheap, for the most part, which is why they were eating salad and crackers for lunch. My mom used to work in a restaurant which had a senior’s fried chicken dinner every Wednesday, it was a large meal and cheap. At 4pm, there was a line of old people going out the door and around the restaurant.
Old 08-06-23, 08:24 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Muscle mass correlates with VO2 max, older people can improve with training

https://eurapa.biomedcentral.com/art...200%20ml%2Fmin)

• If you compare someone of low fitness to elite, it is a five fold difference in mortality over a decade
What seems more interesting is merely going from low fitness to average or high averages gets the most bang for the buck.

https://peterattiamd.com/how-does-vo...ith-longevity/

I don't have a reference showing the statistical significance of lean body mass to VO2 max (it is well known and easily verified), but to me the question is how to maintain lean body mass and not merely fat loss. And, as I get older, should I focus more on maintain muscle or losing fat because diets can be catabolic. That was one reason I gave up Keto and I am confident my muscle mass has increased. I used to eat two salads a day. One huge one at the Merck or Pfizer dining room and then a big one at dinner with lean protein. Low carb all day. I need to learn more
Old 08-06-23, 08:50 AM
fat biker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Wow!
Dr. Layne does a thorough job of skewering Dr. Fung.
Thank you for posting this.

fat biker
Likes For fat biker:
Old 08-06-23, 09:20 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Fasting is no longer controversial and actually many are doing it not only to improve health but also Athletic Performance.
There is no evidence that fasting is any more effective than balanced diet and portion control. ..Fasting won't improve athletic performance, fasting will catabolize muscle, deplete energy reserves and make a person weak and frail.
Old 08-06-23, 11:15 AM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Weight and height are generalized and someone with a higher percentage of muscle tissue willl weigh more. Waist and belly size are the key determinents and not BMI and this is in the process of being changed.

Avoiding red meat and dairy will be healthier for your heart and your intestinal tract. The incidence of colon cancer directly correlates to red meat consumption in countries. In the past chicken and fish and in particular salmon were healthy to eat but that is no longer the case with our industrial meat factories. The Omega 6 level is very high in poultry and in farmed salmon and most fish is contaminated with micro plastics that leach chemicals into our bodies. We are exposed to both endocrine distruptors and our gut flora is severely altered with the ingestion of glyphosates in our food (expecially any that contain wheat or soy or canola). Mothers' milk now contains PFAS so even infants are now being born that are obese.

We are all guinea pigs in an uncontrolled program of chemical pollution from the oil and plastics companies and the industrialized farming and meat and dairy production. So many common illnesses have dramatically increased year after year since the 1970's when the Nixon administration initiated subsidies for the production of corn with so much that the surplus had to first be turned into high fructose corn syrup and later into ethanol (that takes more fossil fuel to produce than the ethanol provides).
Likes For Calsun:
Old 08-06-23, 11:25 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Good post. Lots of very good information there, well worth reading the whole thing. I use similar methods and assumptions when I calculate food energy requirements for our 10-day backpacks. He does need a proofreader, though.

So many charlatans out there in the business of selling BS nutrition plans, books and substances. I mentioned that I'm not a calorie counter, and Layne Norton has a good excuse for those like me:
For example, let’s say that someone was eating 2000 calories per day and believed that should be a 500 calorie deficit. Yet after a few weeks, they had not lost as much weight as they would have predicted. Perhaps they were eating 2200, but since they can’t track it EXACTLY, they weren’t aware that they were eating 10% more. This doesn’t mean that eating in a 500 calorie deficit won’t produce weight loss. It simply means that you aren’t in the deficit you THINK you are, but it’s easy to know this because you can see that you aren’t losing weight at the rate you would predict. As such, it simply means that you need to adjust your calories down until you hit the desired rate of loss.
i.e. use a scale. And OMG in the above quote . . .there is such a thing in even the English language as the subjunctive mood, thus not "was eating" but "were eating." "Had been eating" would also be correct.

Last edited by Carbonfiberboy; 08-06-23 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Alluding to incorrect usage of grammatical mood
Likes For Carbonfiberboy:
Old 08-06-23, 11:27 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
There is no evidence that fasting is any more effective than balanced diet and portion control. ..Fasting won't improve athletic performance, fasting will catabolize muscle, deplete energy reserves and make a person weak and frail.
Surviving Prostate Cancer is paramount in my life and due to my situation I am in contact with men around the World who are indeed practicing fasting to improve their health and who have found as a by-product their athletic endeavors have improved.
Old 08-06-23, 11:42 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
FWIW, I've always loved salad.

I weigh what I did in high school.

What works for me may not be for you.

Those posting single-theory-for-eveyrthing declarations (no processed foods, intermittent fasting, insulin is the key, portion control) are missing the point, IMHO. There is no single best way for weight control that works for everybody. you have to find what works for you.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 08-06-23, 12:24 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

There's that old saw, often repeated on BF, that the way to burn fat is to ride a lot in Z2, below VT1, in the "fat-burning zone." That definitely does improve one's ability to burn fat on the bike, but is that the most effective exercise to reduce adipose fat? This study says not:
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles...21.685166/full

Fatty acids (from lipolysis) are continuously released from abdominal adipose tissue into the circulation and fat cells are continuously dying in normal human adults. The size of adipose tissue is determined by the magnitude of nutrient competition from muscle and lungs for cell regeneration and energy replenishment after exercise. This is varied by types of exercise (aerobic or resistance exercise). Despite the fact that lower exercise intensity relies more on fatty acid oxidation, high-intensity exercise training (anaerobic in nature) provides a superior abdominal fat loss effect than low- and moderate-intensity exercise training.
So to lose more fat than muscle, hit the gym and do hard intervals.
Old 08-06-23, 01:19 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,062 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
FWIW, I've always loved salad.

I weigh what I did in high school.

What works for me may not be for you.

Those posting single-theory-for-eveyrthing declarations (no processed foods, intermittent fasting, insulin is the key, portion control) are missing the point, IMHO. There is no single best way for weight control that works for everybody. you have to find what works for you.
Through weight training and wrestling I was close to 250# in high school. I starved and went down to 175 when I was about 19. Lived with friends and we all lost weight. Later became an alcoholic and went over 250 with a 44 inch waist. Got pretty sick, ulcer, lost weight, quit drinking and later, smoking.

Riding dirt bikes and bicycles helped a lot. I'm happy to have made it this far, I'm down to 200 now. I do eat lots of salads but I don't follow anyone's advice or diet plans. Don't read about Keto or fasting or much else about any of it. I know me and what I will and won't do.
Old 08-06-23, 04:29 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I avoid red meat ,eggs .
Am I doing something wrong here?
You're definitely doing something wrong by avoiding two of the most nutrient dense foods out there.
Old 08-06-23, 04:48 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Am I doing something wrong here? I worry about this a lot lately. I'm thinking I should trim down?
Just to make sure we don’t miss some low-hanging fruit, do you drink sugary soft drinks? If you do, knocking those out will likely help gradually trim weight.

Otto
Old 08-06-23, 07:12 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,872 Times in 3,161 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
So what's the low point of that U in terms of bodyfat percentage? I don't know how accurate my electronic scale is, but it says 12% and i think I'm a little fat. I'd rather be at 9%-10%. I should have my wife check me with my skinfold calipers.
I’d have to look it up, but I’m pretty sure it’s above 12%. However, those are data from a generally unfit population. Moreover, it has been speculated that the reason it’s a U might be the association of some fat with a healthy lean mass and low fat with very low lean mass. Therefore, I would assume that for you, with your level of fitness and muscle mass, that 9-12% or whatever is very healthy number.
Old 08-06-23, 07:15 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I’d have to look it up, but I’m pretty sure it’s above 12%. However, those are data from a generally unfit population. Moreover, it has been speculated that the reason it’s a U might be the association of some fat with a healthy lean mass and low fat with very low lean mass. Therefore, I would assume that for you, with your level of fitness and muscle mass, that 9-12% or whatever is very healthy number.
Amen. I tried looking it up and got basically nowhere.
Old 08-06-23, 07:17 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

I avoid red meat ,eggs , ice cream, pastries and fast food.
I've been eating a plant-based diet for 50 years. I eat neither mammals nor dinosaurs. I agree with no red meat, fish only in the meat department, but I urge you to rethink the no-eggs thing. It happens that we need certain amino acids in a certain ratio for optimal health. It also happens that those exact amino acids in that ratio are available in eggs. That's not an accident. DNA is god, it tells us what to eat. IOW, we originated eating lots of eggs and for rather obvious reasons. So eat eggs. They contain choline, which is a bit rare in other non-meat foods, and we need it too. I consume about 6 eggs/week counting cooking uses and also supplement with lecithin. For really decent eggs, select eggs from "pasture-raised" hens. Makes a noticeable difference in flavor and nutrients. They're supposed to eat a lot of bugs, not just chicken feed. Nothing unhealthy about eggs per se.
https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Ch...hProfessional/
Old 08-06-23, 07:21 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,872 Times in 3,161 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Amen. I tried looking it up and got basically nowhere.
Just found bunch of lit by Googling “effect of body fat on all-cause mortality.” The magic number seems to be around 25%, but again, the effect may be operating via an an association with absolute lean mass.
Old 08-06-23, 10:01 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
That is also correct. I've done a water-only fast for 7 days and it is indeed a fast way to lose weight.
Unfortunately your body needs protein and during your fast, your muscles are also being metabolized as well. Lots written on the subject of fasting and muscle wasting.

Old 08-07-23, 04:25 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by fat biker
https://www.booksfree.org/the-obesit...free-download/

Cliffs Notes version.
According to Dr. Fung it is not about exercise, fat, calories or some superfood.
It is about one thing.
Insulin.

I found the book to be an interesting read.
Intermittent fasting helped me lose the ten pounds I was beginning to think were mine for life.

One more thing.
Belly fat, especially for guys is bad news.

fat biker
I am an insulin/T2 mess - can gain weight at will, easy, fast, body just stores fat. Losing weight = a long slow slog with close to zero margin of error. I don't process carbs/sugars well, insulin resistance, and my body will simply dump insulin into the system.

Like the OP, I'm 6' - 187-192# depending on the day.

Zero sugar, almost zero carbs, 2 meals per day, whole foods, zero alcohol, 150+ miles per week on the bike, 80/20 training plan.

31" waist, fairly lean/vascular, medium sized cycling jersey... 190#.

Sometimes it is what it is. Only way for me to get below 187 is to flat starve myself, not have any energy, feel like crap... eat some carbs for a big bike ride, or cheat and have a slice of pizza - right back up to 192#... will hold the 3-4#s of water for days, then have to struggle to get back to 187. Getting below that weight - I don't have a clue how to do it at this point.
Old 08-07-23, 08:54 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,062 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed

Sometimes it is what it is. Only way for me to get below 187 is to flat starve myself, not have any energy, feel like crap... eat some carbs for a big bike ride, or cheat and have a slice of pizza - right back up to 192#... will hold the 3-4#s of water for days, then have to struggle to get back to 187. Getting below that weight - I don't have a clue how to do it at this point.
So why try to get below 187 if it makes you miserable? I think I would climb better if I got down to 190 but I'm not prepared to try anything more than what I do now.

I think at some point you have to include your mental health in all of the diet stuff. I'm sure for some people counting calories/fasting/adhering to strict diet controls may come easy. For those of us with addictive personalities with weight histories spanning a range of 75 pounds or more, not so easy.

I have a friend who is a yo-yo dieter. Extremely intelligent man, college educated, entrepreneur, retired very young, etc. Was 300#, got down to 175 and kicked all manner of ass on the bike, including a sub 9 hour double century. Back up to 240, back down under 200, and, now, 240 again. My point is there may be an emotional component to the whole thing.
Old 08-07-23, 09:18 AM
Jtmav

Bikes: Trek Domane al5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 37 Posts
Dieting is a short term adjustment, usually with short term results. All the different ways described in this thread may work for some but not for all. I think it’s been mentioned earlier that we all have to find strategies that work for us as individuals. Age, lifestyle, genetics all come into play. A doctor told me once that one of the real reasons people gain weight in the later years is that they make food or alcohol choices because they “deserve it now”. I found a way of eating that is working for me at keeping my weight and most recent blood work all in healthy ranges. What motivates us to make changes, is it vanity or health or maybe both. No judgement here, whatever the reason for adopting a healthier lifestyle the results are positive. Moderation is most things can breed contentment I think. YMMV
Likes For Jtmav:
Old 08-07-23, 10:48 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
If you (generically) need to lose weight, you know it. You don't need some specially quantified measure to confirm it. The only question is how badly you want it. If you truly want it, and not just wishing or contemplating, you'll commit to it, stick with it and get results. You'll adopt new habits that ensure your success and fiercely avoid things that foil your efforts. Ask any smoker who quit (took me four tries). Change is hard, and some changes are really hard. Some are up to the task, and some are not. That's not a "judging people" statement, just a fact and, maybe, an acceptance.
Old 08-07-23, 11:19 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
At 59 years old I have a Dunlop. My stomach, done lopped over my belt. I blame it on my incredibly boring desk job, a drawer full of treats, busy home schedule, slowing metabolism and being weak.
Old 08-07-23, 11:35 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
At 59 years old I have a Dunlop. My stomach, done lopped over my belt. I blame it on my incredibly boring desk job, a drawer full of treats, busy home schedule, slowing metabolism and being weak.
Not judging, but who puts the treats in that drawer?

I bring fruit to work.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 08-07-23, 11:46 AM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Not judging, but who puts the treats in that drawer?

I bring fruit to work.
247 many many years ago, now consistently at 160 to 163. Eat a lot of fruit, use small plates for meals, get lots of exercise. Wife and I always share a restaurant meal. Due to allergies there's many things I cannot eat, and most of those would be bad for me if I did. That's what works for me.

Last edited by gobicycling; 08-07-23 at 11:53 AM.
Likes For gobicycling:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.