Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rear Derailleur Mounting

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Rear Derailleur Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-17, 11:32 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Rear Derailleur Mounting

Hi. Have a new bike that is minimally assembled from the factory. Supplied rear derailleur is a long cage Shimano Deore. The frame has a replaceable hanger. Derailleur appears to have a removable hanger of its own. When I remove that and mount the main body of the derailleur to the hanger the B screw does not make proper contact, the micro adjust hits the hanger at the back, and the holes to thread the mounting bolt through don't quite line up. With both the frame hanger and derailleur hanger installed everything fits but it just doesn't look quite right. I've checked with other bikes I have and all of them have the derailleur body bolt right up to the hanger. Thoughts? I'll focus on other aspects of the assembly in the meanwhile... its going to be a long day.
Old 08-30-17, 11:56 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
A couple of clear, well-focused photos will help immensely, to understand your problem.
Old 08-30-17, 12:23 PM
Leisesturm

Here is one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Deore.jpg (92.4 KB, 173 views)
Old 08-30-17, 12:32 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
How about a picture showing the inner face of the dropout, so we can see where the B-screw lands? Take the wheel out for a clearer view.
Old 08-30-17, 12:41 PM
Leisesturm

In the picture above the B screw is fine. It is integral with the lower of the two silver pivots seen. The upper silver screw is fixed, it does not pivot. The short hanger that connects to the hanger on the bike can be oriented to any direction while the screw is loose. I have it oriented as in the picture because wheel insertion is affected with it any other way. My question is with the derailleur as pictured, will the shifting be normal once the cables are attached. Thanks.
Old 08-30-17, 12:57 PM
kevindsingleton 
Don't make me sing!

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 1986 Centurion Elite RS, Diamondback hardtail MTB, '70s Fuji Special Road Racer, 2012 Raleigh Revenio 2.0, 1992 Trek 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
In the picture above the B screw is fine. It is integral with the lower of the two silver pivots seen. The upper silver screw is fixed, it does not pivot. The short hanger that connects to the hanger on the bike can be oriented to any direction while the screw is loose. I have it oriented as in the picture because wheel insertion is affected with it any other way. My question is with the derailleur as pictured, will the shifting be normal once the cables are attached. Thanks.

That looks a lot like the "wolf tooth" link that is used to drop a RD far enough to allow it to engage very large sprockets, like those in your cassette. I think it's going to be fine, once you get it all put together.
Old 08-30-17, 02:03 PM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by kevindsingleton
That looks a lot like the "wolf tooth" link that is used to drop a RD far enough to allow it to engage very large sprockets, like those in your cassette. I think it's going to be fine, once you get it all put together.
Thanks! I wondered about that too. That is a 36T big cog. But they sell it this way, I have to assume they know it works. I will put everything together (40 years of cycling and I have never used a chain breaker...) and see what happens.
Old 08-30-17, 05:07 PM
hermanchauw

Bikes: Voodoo Hoodoo, Linus Libertine

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
That is a built-in roadlink/goatlink that drops the body mounting pivot lower than the frame's derailleur hanger. I also have one like that.

Note the cable angle of entry which is backward. Normal rd have the angle of entry forward.
Old 08-30-17, 05:17 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/Shiman...railleurs.html
Old 08-31-17, 06:39 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
That integrated hanger is necessary when using the Shadow type derailleur on a bike with a normal derailleur hanger. It can be removed for use on a frame with a "direct mount" hanger.
Old 08-31-17, 11:19 PM
cobba

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 53 Posts
The 'bracket axle unit' or 'b-link' should be in a horizontal position.

Old 09-01-17, 01:04 PM
Leisesturm

Thanks to recent posts I've cracked it. Thanks. The link to the 'Shadow Mount' product release were especially helpful. WRT post #11, the 'b-link' is indeed horizontal in some models (like pictured) but for mine the angle that is shown in my picture is correct, and there is a 'stop' built into the body of the link that sets it that way. Unfortunately before I knew better (i.e. before I started this thread). I attempted to remove the link and mount the derailleur body directly to the frame hanger. I've put it back of course, but it was held in by a thin 'circlip' that was destroyed as the mounting screw was backed out. It isn't really necessary, but... I'm anal that way. I assume everything exists for a reason. I probably will never check to make sure the screw remains tight, so my first warning of anything amiss will be when the derailleur tears loose from the mount and is mangled beyond repair, taking out the chain and several rear cogs with it...
Old 09-02-17, 01:39 AM
cobba

the 'b-link' is indeed horizontal in some models (like pictured) but for mine the angle that is shown in my picture is correct, and there is a 'stop' built into the body of the link that sets it that way.
Post a photo showing how you've attached the derailleur, with the bike standing upright on the ground.

When shadow derailleurs are attached the b-link should be in a near horizontal position, these derailleurs can also be attached where the b-link is in a more vertical position but this is a incorrect setup.

What model Deore derailleur is this?
Old 09-02-17, 02:07 AM
xenologer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
a thin 'circlip' that was destroyed as the mounting screw was backed out.
I dropped one of those on the floor once and never found it again.
Made what I hope is a reasonable substitute by cutting a section out of a washer and popping it on there.
Old 09-02-17, 12:27 PM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by cobba
Post a photo showing how you've attached the derailleur, with the bike standing upright on the ground.

When shadow derailleurs are attached the b-link should be in a near horizontal position, these derailleurs can also be attached where the b-link is in a more vertical position but this is a incorrect setup.

What model Deore derailleur is this?

The photo I took in post #3 is of the bike standing upright on the ground, and the photo has been rotated so that what you see is exactly what I saw when I took the picture. I don't know what model of Deore, but clearly it is of the new 'Shadow Mount' variety. Everything I've read suggests that it is a mountain spec RD, but this is a road bike that it is mounted on. The bike is a Performer Saki 26" USS Highracer, if that helps. I intend to back out the mounting screw and loosen the 'b-link' and see if the 'stop' that is limiting its rearward sweep will clear the hanger and then allow it to reach a more horizontal aspect.
Old 09-02-17, 12:34 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
You have a Mountain multipivot rear mech.. the engineers have confused you. did you want a Road Triple RD instead, ?
Old 09-02-17, 08:21 PM
cobba

The photo I took in post #3 is of the bike standing upright on the ground, and the photo has been rotated so that what you see is exactly what I saw when I took the picture. I don't know what model of Deore, but clearly it is of the new 'Shadow Mount' variety. Everything I've read suggests that it is a mountain spec RD, but this is a road bike that it is mounted on. The bike is a Performer Saki 26" USS Highracer, if that helps. I intend to back out the mounting screw and loosen the 'b-link' and see if the 'stop' that is limiting its rearward sweep will clear the hanger and then allow it to reach a more horizontal aspect.
The b-link should be able to rotate clockwise on the derailleur hanger if the derailleur takes a hit.

Page 12 shows correct mounting: https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-GN0001-20-ENG.pdf
Old 09-02-17, 11:23 PM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by cobba
The b-link should be able to rotate clockwise on the derailleur hanger if the derailleur takes a hit.

Page 12 shows correct mounting: https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-GN0001-20-ENG.pdf
Thank you very much for being persistent! That view of the hanger from the back side shows me why the b-link stops where it does on my bike, and how I can easily fix it so that it mounts horizontal like it should. That pdf will also help immensely in setting up things once I get the cables connected and how to get the chain to the correct length. Interesting, Sheldon Brown mentioned years ago that adding two links to the chain wrapped around the big/big combination would properly set the chain length for the typical setup for the time (52/42 - 14-28) and I fully intended to second guess that because I was working with a wide range triple up front and an 11-36 10sp. I said to myself two extra links can't possibly be enough. I planned to add eight. At least eight. Reading through the pdf says add only two. Go figure. I owe you big time. Thanks again.
Old 09-03-17, 04:49 PM
xenologer

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
how I can easily fix it so that it mounts horizontal like it should.

It's really weird that your's is angled down so far.
Possible that the tooth on the tip of the hangar, versus the tooth on the end of the b-link are on the wrong side of each other?

maybe take a photo of the derailer hanger by itself, nothing mounted on it.
Old 09-10-17, 11:25 PM
Leisesturm

Thanks to the link in post #17 I was able to not only sort out the b-link problem but cut the chain to length as well. Thanks also to everyone who offered advice. You guys rock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0266.jpg (98.8 KB, 47 views)
Old 09-10-17, 11:56 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Cable housing is too short.
Old 09-11-17, 01:36 AM
xenologer

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Cable housing is too short.

yeah, you really need to fix that.
the housing isn't even long enough to seat in the housing stop up top.
better get a longer one and set it right before it falls out while riding.
Old 09-11-17, 12:12 PM
Leisesturm

Yes, I already realize the housing is too short. Man you guy's don't miss a trick... maybe I should post the whole bike so you can tell me what else I've done wrong before I kill myself in traffic...