Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rear derailleur & fender mishap

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-18, 03:29 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Liked 3,610 Times in 2,358 Posts

2.3 miles from my car. ugh. pulled the junk down & out & was able to pedal back as a single speed. loosened the fender nuts & straightened that out too. wasn't pretty but it got me back. if I bend the fender stays back, I can salvage the fender but the derailleur is toast

Last edited by rumrunn6; 02-10-18 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-10-18, 04:08 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Liked 2,006 Times in 1,256 Posts
Pretty impressive! Did a stick get into the chain and you pedaled it into the derailer?

The fender is pretty simple, bending the stays should be fine. I suspect you'll need to do a proper derailer hanger alignment, as well as inspecting drive side spokes, before you finish the derailer replacement.
Old 02-10-18, 04:34 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
That's not an expensive derailleur so I'd probably replace it too. If pushed, however, I think I could probably bend it back straight enough to work with just my hands. 7-speed isn't too picky about perfect alignment.
Old 02-10-18, 11:49 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Liked 3,992 Times in 2,373 Posts
Don't forget to check that axle for straightness. The freewheeled hub makes this possibility greater then a cassette one.

Across my office is a Campy NR rear der that I wrapped up above my frame late one night. In my case the dropout was still good but the rack, fender, der, chain, wheel/axle all took a hit. In my case I rode into a pot hole and the collapsed rim allowed a spoke to bow out and catch the cage. Not the first or last time this has happened. Andy
Old 02-11-18, 11:49 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Pretty impressive! Did a stick get into the chain and you pedaled it into the derailer?

The fender is pretty simple, bending the stays should be fine. I suspect you'll need to do a proper derailer hanger alignment, as well as inspecting drive side spokes, before you finish the derailer replacement.
re: stick? I think so, but none was found at the scene.
re: hanger alignment, so those parts are separate?
Old 02-11-18, 11:52 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
That's not an expensive derailleur so I'd probably replace it too. If pushed, however, I think I could probably bend it back straight enough to work with just my hands. 7-speed isn't too picky about perfect alignment.
this part broke off. could this be plastic? this is on an older Trek FX 7.0 Alpha, so I'm thinking, least expensive components

Old 02-11-18, 11:54 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Not the first or last time this has happened. Andy
comforting. thanks. was thinking of removing the fenders for good, but then hoping to keep them on
Old 02-11-18, 12:15 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
Caught a branch in the rear wheel apparently..

Nothing expensive was damaged mudguard is a thermoplastic .. it will straighten out..
Old 02-11-18, 12:28 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Liked 2,006 Times in 1,256 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
re: hanger alignment, so those parts are separate?
Not knowing the bike, and guessing a bit looking at the pictures, I think the derailer hanger is part of the frame on this bike. It's the tab hanging down and behind the wheel dropouts. Eyeball it when you take the old derailer off, and if it's obviously bent in (or out) take a big adjustable wrench and try to straighten it. If shifting can't be tuned in with the new derailer by adjusting cable tension, take it to your LBS to get it checked out.
Old 02-11-18, 01:05 PM
rumrunn6

trying to figure out the correct replacement part. found these two any opinions?

TX75
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZMDJSK...XFURGNTS&psc=0

TX55
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZM9RDQ...XFURGNTS&psc=1
Old 02-11-18, 01:28 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
I doubt there is any performance difference between those two derailleur offerings.
Old 02-11-18, 07:16 PM
rumrunn6

thanks. just gave the wheel a better look after washing it. all spokes are intact (attached at both ends) & feel like they all have the same tension. but I did find one with a dent. also when I spin the wheel it has an irregularity at one point so that it taps a brake pad. guess I'll get the spoke replaced & wheel trued. I guess the offending stick broke & flew away. it's all my fault completely. the muddy trail was like glue so I was riding the edge over some leaves to avoid the mud in this spot

Old 02-11-18, 08:21 PM
Hatchet

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You might find these videos helpful:

Old 02-11-18, 09:07 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Hatchet
You might find these videos helpful:
thanks!
Old 02-13-18, 12:28 PM
rumrunn6

took the wheel & derailleur down to our LBS. owner says go get the bike & I'll set you up while you wait. not kidding you. an hour later & $90 I'm good as new. told him he robbed me of my street cred by fixing my bike for me. he just smiled & said but now he has piece of mind

he had what looked like a no-name unit in a drawer out back
left the spoke & just tweaked a few spokes
left the cable just trimmed it & shortened some excess cable at the top & replaced the small section of housing at the derailleur

also he was able to tweak the alignment of the new unit (incl hanger) which I think was his main interest. the old hanger looked fine but his replacement had a hanger attached, so ...

of course we had to listen to ea. others stories, but it's all time well spent.

Last edited by rumrunn6; 02-13-18 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-13-18, 09:23 PM
xenologer

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
good upgrade
the logo's are scraped off but it resembles an Altus derailer
main point being, the main body pivot is thicker aluminum vs the stamped steel plate on your dead one. Less wiggly, more precise shifting
Old 02-13-18, 09:44 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Liked 643 Times in 480 Posts
Yipes! I have yet to have this happen, reason: Pure stupid luck!

I'd agree this looks to be an altus, so you even got an upgrade!

Ironically I purchased a new in package tourney RD today for my beater. The older style then yours. I'm curious because the majority of nasty failures I've seen like that have been Tourney derailleurs. Is there something about them that causes this, or are they just not as forgiving if you put a lot of miles on them?
Old 02-14-18, 04:41 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by xenologer
good upgrade
the logo's are scraped off but it resembles an Altus derailer
main point being, the main body pivot is thicker aluminum vs the stamped steel plate on your dead one. Less wiggly, more precise shifting
oh! OK, thanks for reaching out!
Old 02-14-18, 04:44 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by GrainBrain
majority of nasty failures I've seen like that have been Tourney derailleurs. Is there something about them that causes this, or are they just not as forgiving if you put a lot of miles on them?
I don't think sticks play well together with spokes & derailleurs regardless of brand. btw mine did not have a lot of miles on it
Old 02-14-18, 10:02 PM
xenologer

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
Yipes! I have yet to have this happen, reason: Pure stupid luck!

I'd agree this looks to be an altus, so you even got an upgrade!

Ironically I purchased a new in package tourney RD today for my beater. The older style then yours. I'm curious because the majority of nasty failures I've seen like that have been Tourney derailleurs. Is there something about them that causes this, or are they just not as forgiving if you put a lot of miles on them?
They're made of thin stamped steel plates and plastic. So they're easy to bend out of alignment; which then puts them in reach of the spokes...
Old 02-15-18, 02:01 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,622 Times in 1,525 Posts
Your noname derailleur may be better than the one it replaced.

No need to change spokes. Slightly bent spokes are OK, as they can still maintain tension.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-15-18, 02:29 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by noglider
Your noname derailleur may be better than the one it replaced.

No need to change spokes. Slightly bent spokes are OK, as they can still maintain tension.
thanks, he only charged me $26 for the part